Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Yummers posted:

I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads.

Lol drat. Maybe get some training wheels also?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Sorry, *I* only want to talk about the performance, maintenance and detailing of my stomped-on Corolla, nothing so pretentious and boorish as a receptacle for that swill you drink you philestine

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

VikingSkull posted:

See, case in point. I'm a Mopar guy, and I don't care how rich I ever get or how good their cars are, I'll never own a MB product.

NEVER FORGET

It still irritates me that my '02 300m Special says Daimler-Chrysler on the VIN tag, even though it was a 100% pre-"merger" car.

I'll never forgive them for quashing the ME-412, the Rebel, the Demon and the Caliber nightmare.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
god i want to change my name to Pussy Shrapnel.

Possibly the best thing ever.

Also IS and IS-F, kinda a piece of poo poo. No one gets off on a Lexus short of the LFA.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Yummers posted:

When you have a flashy car that attracts attention, people come at you for different reasons under the guise of friendship -- you have to be able to determine which "friends" are fair-weathered. In the case of this story, I was hanging out with some sloppy drunks who don't appreciate other peoples stuff and were pathetically lingering around my car trying to catch pussy shrapnel. Lesson learned/never again/moving on. I'm going to another game tonight with a different group of friends and they're all about taking BART. Those are my people!

Don't worry Yummers, I feel you. When I first learned to drive manual, I borrowed my uncles 2004 C5 Convertible 6 speed. He came and picked me up and told me it was mine for a week. Just mine. All alone with the car and all I needed to do was give him a ride home. He asked me to stop at Starbucks on the way back and was telling me how this car would get me lots of attention from the ladies. As we parked and were getting out he said "You know Muffinpox, I know you're young but the kind of girls who come after you for having something like this aren't the type of girls you want to be in-" and then a deafening roar. The antagonistic screams of a thousand woman shrilled in the background "Oh my god that is so cool!", "Nice car, can we go for a ride with the top down?", "Sweet ride" were chanted over and over. The deafening roars of pussy bombs going off, pussy shrapnel flying everywhere. A piece caught my uncle in the leg and he laid on the ground bleeding out. I jumped through the cabin and surveyed the wound, it was bleeding badly. I jammed my finger into the wound and held the artery shut until I could figure out what to do. "We need to get you in a car and back to a hospital" I told him but all he could do is shake his head and say "No.. no.. this is an expensive car do you know what blood will do to the leather? It might have to be detailed twice." I'll never forget being covered in his blood in the parking lot and his last words to me, "Is the 3M clearbra doing a good job against the pussy shrapnel... this paint is... expensive..."

RIP Uncle David.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There are now many times more posts in this thread about the ISF than when the ISF first came out.

letgomyAgo posted:

Minor paint work for just about any car regardless of color starts in the low 4 figures range. Your paint also isn't a 'special paint job'. It's a factory offered option and really costs a negligible amount more to paint that then the usual tri-coat bullshit Lexus throws on everything.

Should dude have leaned on your car? gently caress no, but pretending that it was only so unacceptable cause it a Lexus (can we say high end Camry?) makes you a jackass.

Oh, and uhh, since when does a Lexus get you 'respect and breathing room on the public roads'? That may be the dumbest sentence I have ever heard.

In actual on topic new car stuff news, anyone get a look at the new Jeep Liberty? Might just be the ugliest thing Chrysler has rolled out in years. Or I guess I should say Fiat, that is pretty clearly some Fiat style.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-jeep-liberty-spy-photos-news

They're just using a FIAT body to test the powertrain like they did with the Dart. The final Jeep isn't actually going to look like that.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Muffinpox posted:

Don't worry Yummers, I feel you. When I first learned to drive manual, I borrowed my uncles 2004 C5 Convertible 6 speed. He came and picked me up and told me it was mine for a week. Just mine. All alone with the car and all I needed to do was give him a ride home. He asked me to stop at Starbucks on the way back and was telling me how this car would get me lots of attention from the ladies. As we parked and were getting out he said "You know Muffinpox, I know you're young but the kind of girls who come after you for having something like this aren't the type of girls you want to be in-" and then a deafening roar. The antagonistic screams of a thousand woman shrilled in the background "Oh my god that is so cool!", "Nice car, can we go for a ride with the top down?", "Sweet ride" were chanted over and over. The deafening roars of pussy bombs going off, pussy shrapnel flying everywhere. A piece caught my uncle in the leg and he laid on the ground bleeding out. I jumped through the cabin and surveyed the wound, it was bleeding badly. I jammed my finger into the wound and held the artery shut until I could figure out what to do. "We need to get you in a car and back to a hospital" I told him but all he could do is shake his head and say "No.. no.. this is an expensive car do you know what blood will do to the leather? It might have to be detailed twice." I'll never forget being covered in his blood in the parking lot and his last words to me, "Is the 3M clearbra doing a good job against the pussy shrapnel... this paint is... expensive..."

RIP Uncle David.

When I think PANTY DROPPER I think a bottom tier Lexus with a big honkin' engine WOOOOOOO im hard already. LINE UP LADIES PLENTY TO GO AROUND WOOOOOOO

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Apparently the Euro Golf has a bottle opener built into its cup-holder. That's kind of cool.

Also, this shade of green is pretty rad:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
A real man can open a beer bottle at 150mph on a mountain road with his seat belt buckle while steering with his one good knee.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bob NewSCART posted:

Sorry dude, an LFA is a sports car. A lambo is a sports car. A ferrari is a sports car. A "sport" model daily driver lexus is not.

Depends on your definition. Personally I don't think any current Lamborghini or Ferrari fits in the 'sports car' category either

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Apparently the Euro Golf has a bottle opener built into its cup-holder. That's kind of cool.

Also, this shade of green is pretty rad:

I wish more cars on the road had brighter colors; it would at least make the drive somewhat more interesting than a sea of beige / white / silver.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Automotive Insanity: Read about a new cupholder you like? sperg about it here, in the cupholder-thread!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

Automotive Insanity: Read about a new cupholder you like? sperg about it here, in the cupholder-thread!

We need a cupholder thread.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm old enough to remember my Granpa's 1968 Impala that I learned to drive in, it had a cool aftermarket sandbag filled thing with two "cupholders" in it that would sit on the center tunnel/console thing. I think gammy stashed her Pall Mall's and/or Schlitz in there.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Yummers posted:

Yeah whatever..you don't know wtf you're talking about but go ahead and keep thinking you do. Before getting my car I drove an 05 Civic LX sedan so I am acutely aware of how people treated me before and after. I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads. I only like to talk about my car in terms of performance, maintenance and detailing with other car people. That was the whole point of my mini rant...to shine a light on people who dig cars for pretentious reasons. And what was the point of your response anyways. I could care less what you think of my "two box" luxury car. I'm not fishing for compliments...but when just about everyone looks and then looks twice when I drive by,my opinion coming from a strictly observational place is that my car is "flashy".

Way to obsess over your "two box" luxury car. Admit it, the reason you bought the IS-F over a real sports car is you still gotta take grandma to the doctor and Koi Palace for dim sum on Sundays. No M3 or C63 for you, those hurt nana's back!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Muffinpox posted:

RIP Uncle David.

Sometimes when I read a post I wish I could just find a way to click Like and move on because no empty quote or praise-filled reply will ever do it justice.

This post by forums user Muffinpox is one of those posts.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Yummers posted:

I bought the car for performance and to get some respect and breathing room on public roads.

I clicked the last page of this thread rather than reading all the way through and saw this quoted on the top of the page without knowing the context.

I thought poo poo, that's kind of a douchey way to explain why you bought an ex-cop Crown Vic.

Then I went back a page and discovered that you drive a much lamer car than a Crown Vic.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Throatwarbler posted:

There are now many times more posts in this thread about the ISF than when the ISF first came out.

I don't think the ISF is a bad car. I've seen a total of one and thought "oh hey one of those, that's an interestingly designed exhaust, cool." But I've never understood why you would buy one over an M3 or a C63 unless you maybe like the weird-rear end look of modern Lexuses or the feel of modern Toyotas (I've never met anybody that enjoyed either).

An M3 or C63 is still a BMW and Mercedes as well, so people that don't know what an M3 or C63 are will still think it's awesome. An ISF is a Lexus at the end of the day, and the many people that don't know an ISF from an ES350 are just going to think you're driving a fancy Buick (I think Cadillac has that problem as well with the CTS-V but their design language these days goes pretty far to separate them from Cadillacs of old, I think).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

CornHolio posted:

I don't think the ISF is a bad car. I've seen a total of one and thought "oh hey one of those, that's an interestingly designed exhaust, cool." But I've never understood why you would buy one over an M3 or a C63 unless you maybe like the weird-rear end look of modern Lexuses or the feel of modern Toyotas (I've never met anybody that enjoyed either).

An M3 or C63 is still a BMW and Mercedes as well, so people that don't know what an M3 or C63 are will still think it's awesome. An ISF is a Lexus at the end of the day, and the many people that don't know an ISF from an ES350 are just going to think you're driving a fancy Buick (I think Cadillac has that problem as well with the CTS-V but their design language these days goes pretty far to separate them from Cadillacs of old, I think).

Once they see the Quad Exhaust Tips they step off.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
R.I.P. Yummers
1984-2012
Died of wounds sustained from pussy shrapnel
Son, brother, high-dollar sportscar owner

getting respect and breathing room in heaven now, little angel.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

dissss posted:

Depends on your definition. Personally I don't think any current Lamborghini or Ferrari fits in the 'sports car' category either
Uh? What does then lol

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

hifi posted:

Once they see the Quad Exhaust Tips they step off.

I thought that exhaust was cool until I saw they were just double stacked tips. Thats just as dumb as the fake hood scoops on mustangs. Lame

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Xguard86 posted:

I thought that exhaust was cool until I saw they were just double stacked tips. Thats just as dumb as the fake hood scoops on mustangs. Lame

The stock hood vents and scoops on 2012 and newer Mustangs are functional, to the point of people spergin' about water intrusion on aftermarket cold air intakes: http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f371/t310084/

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I found this thread via the leper's colony and just want to say thanks for the entertainment. I will endeavor to use the term "pussy shrapnel" in conversation.

Also, I have a friend who frequently laments that his DB7 lacks cupholders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a friend who frequently laments that his DB7 lacks cupholders.

If you drive an Aston Martin, you can probably hire someone to hold your drink for you.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m

Yummers posted:

I'm not fishing for compliments...but when just about everyone looks and then looks twice when I drive by,my opinion coming from a strictly observational place is that my car is "flashy".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Your car is flashy because you bought it in blue.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Muffinpox posted:

RIP Uncle David.

Amazing post.

The IS-F seems to really attract these types. A guy at work has one and all he does is pore over IS forums on his phone and computer, talking about new rims he's looking at and on and on. I don't know why anyone would buy that car. I'd rather have a 335i, never mind an M3. Assuming that the M3 is more expensive than the IS-F, I'm not even sure. I would have to think the big DOHC V8 in the IS-F is not going to do it any favors in spirited driving.

I really don't think the dude makes enough to make the car practical, either.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 3, 2012

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

AdmiralViscen posted:

Amazing post.

The IS-F seems to really attract these types. A guy at work has one and all he does is pore over IS forums on his phone and computer, talking about new rims he's looking at and on and on. I don't know why anyone would buy that car. I'd rather have a 335i, never mind an M3. Assuming that the M3 is more expensive than the IS-F, I'm not even sure. I would have to think the big DOHC V8 in the IS-F is not going to do it any favors in spirited driving.

I really don't think the dude makes enough to make the car practical, either.

I had no idea that the IS-F stickered at $60k+ until looking it up just now. I new they had big engines, but I was thinking upper 40s - low 50s. Someone I know has the basest IS250 you can get, and I thought it was a fine car for someone who doesn't really give a poo poo about cars but wants something comfortable and a hair better driving experience than a Camry.

To get things back on the new car track, I think it's great that Jaguar is doing a real roadster again, although whoever said a couple pages ago that the Jag rep swore up and down that it would sticker at $60k was lied to.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/2013-jaguar-f-type-pricing-video-configurator/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You know, the whole start of this derail kinda bothered me to begin with. In PA, it's just as illegal for a passenger in a car to consume alcohol as it is the driver as we have open container laws. So, I read it from the perspective of "passenger is asking me to put my driver's license at risk so that he can drink a beer before the game."

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

bull3964 posted:

You know, the whole start of this derail kinda bothered me to begin with. In PA, it's just as illegal for a passenger in a car to consume alcohol as it is the driver as we have open container laws. So, I read it from the perspective of "passenger is asking me to put my driver's license at risk so that he can drink a beer before the game."

We have that too, so if he had stopped at that I'd be in agreement.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I found this thread via the leper's colony and just want to say thanks for the entertainment. I will endeavor to use the term "pussy shrapnel" in conversation.

Also, I have a friend who frequently laments that his DB7 lacks cupholders.

The IHSA has a rating system kind of like the NHRA for ET, except in the IHSA case it is short for Estimated Tramps. Any car expected to pull at least 11.5ETs or more needs a pussy scatter shield to protect the driver from the pussy shrapnel. This shield used to take up the place of cup holders in older cars.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2012

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

AdmiralViscen posted:

I'd rather have a 335i, never mind an M3. Assuming that the M3 is more expensive than the IS-F, I'm not even sure. I would have to think the big DOHC V8 in the IS-F is not going to do it any favors in spirited driving.
The M3 is also powered by a DOHC V-8.

I would also be mad if someone asked to open a beer in my car. Open container laws are a bitch. The whining about someone drinking a beer near his car is ridiculous though.

If it was an American car people were drinking beers near it on the assembly line amirite?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

PBCrunch posted:

I would also be mad if someone asked to open a beer in my car. Open container laws are a bitch. The whining about someone drinking a beer near his car is ridiculous though.

If it was an American car people were drinking beers near it on the assembly line amirite?

Yup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVmKyJXHXRE

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Weinertron posted:

I had no idea that the IS-F stickered at $60k+

Don't forget that protecting against flying pussy shrapnel is dangerously expensive.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Yummers posted:

This is my favorite line, right here. Oh man, that bro has a Lexus, MAKE ROOM.

I can't wait for his kill story thread.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ZippySLC posted:

Don't forget that protecting against flying pussy shrapnel is dangerously expensive.

That's why I opted for the Scotch Guard on my car, inside and out.

So I'm not a big fan of the Ferrari FF but apparently they have a new panoramic roof option, and I do like panoramic roofs.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Behold, the MINI cupholder:

It's quite nice. Up and away from the gearshift, doesn't block anything, but also swings away for some reason. Also has a grahic indicating that stemware is not to be used. However, there is only one so the plebian passenger has to hold his drat drink hisself. There are two more down in the console, but they're currently blocked by my CB radio.

I found these though, surely the greatest cupholders available.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PBCrunch posted:

The M3's motor is obviously zingier, but that's not where the IS-F lets the pussy patrol down. It has really great brakes, but far worse dynamics and not a great auto, even with the 2011 revisions. I would get one for track work just knowing that it has some of the most fade-free production brakes out there.
I hope Lexus keeps tweaking the product until it's good.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Personally, I hope that inadequate cup holders are here to stay, so that others may share the same joy that I and my older brother experienced. Years ago on a scorching Summer day, he ran late picking me up and to make up for it, he purchased a King Size coke from Burger King, sitting awkwardly in one of his Wolfsburg's chintzy pop-out cupholders. For some inexplicable reason, perhaps the hand of fate, he launched out of the shopping center while cutting toward the left lane. This sudden and violent movement levitated the large sugary beverage out of its plastic prison, and we watched in amazement as it exploded over me. I have never been so refreshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Muffinpox posted:

The IHSA has a rating system kind of like the NHRA for ET, except in the IHSA case it is short for Estimated Tramps. Any car expected to pull at least 11.5ETs or more needs a pussy scatter shield to protect the driver from the pussy shrapnel. This shield used to take up the place of cup holders in older cars.

If that's the ET rating of the Aston, then it is really underperforming. In my experience, guys are impressed because it looks like something Bond would drive, but women don't even look twice.

He should have saved his money and bought a Lexus with a ground effects kit.