Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Did anyone else find the back-and-forth between Anderson and Kay absolutely hilarious? Olivia Thirlby and Wood Harris are outstanding comedic actors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
I don't understand why Dredd didn't cuff her and take her out of the building instead of risking the whole place exploding.

Is it "because Dredd."?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Saw this movie and utterly loved every moment.
EXACTLY what I wanted from a film about Judge Dredd.

James Polk posted:

I don't understand why Dredd didn't cuff her and take her out of the building instead of risking the whole place exploding.

Is it "because Dredd."?

In this case Ma-ma's crimes were so great and severe, Dredd knows the punishment is automatically death and that takes precedence with his utter application of the law. While Anderson did go some way into allowing Dredd to see different sides to the law, he still upholds it religiously. Ma-ma needed to be sentenced and executed.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Just came back from seeing it for a second time and I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nthing the interest for a comics thread for Dredd, because I need more Dredd in my life, whether it be sequels or comics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

James Polk posted:

Is it "because Dredd."?

It was a bit silly but I figured he was confident enough that her plan wouldn't work that he figured he could just chuck her instead of figuring it out later.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

James Polk posted:

Is it "because Dredd."?

Just to add to what people have said, beyond the literal plot reasons, it helps with solidifying Dredd as comparable to Ma-Ma and the judges as comparable to the gang. He kills her in more or less the same way she kill the low-level dealers at the beginning.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

James Polk posted:

Is it "because Dredd."?

He explains his reasoning right before he does it. :psyduck:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Only made 6 mill opening weekend - so that's pretty much a death knell for a sequel, I take it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Crackbone posted:

Only made 6 mill opening weekend - so that's pretty much a death knell for a sequel, I take it.

Wouldn't the target audience be the UK anyway?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe. Though I remember looking at the rest of the box office for that weekend and it was pretty low across the board. There could be a sequel as one last hurrah to get things moving but if that one doesn't perform it could probably mean the death of the production company and any hope of another for a few decades.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wouldn't the target audience be the UK anyway?

It's only done 10M Foreign total though. Their target for a sequel was at least $50M and it doesn't look good based on the numbers it's doing.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

How's it looking for the amount of 2D screenings in the USofA, as mythical as they have been over here?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

He explains his reasoning right before he does it. :psyduck:

Yeah, but I think his point was that he was still taking the risk of killing everyone in the building when arresting her would have been a safe alternative. I'm not disapproving of his decision because it ruled, but the alternative does make more sense.

Are we still in the spoiler zone? Everyone posting seems to have already seen it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It doesn't get released here until near the end of October.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Seen this movie twice so far. Saw Looper last night, and somewhere in the 2nd Act where things slow down (...and in my opinion kinda goes downhill), I thought to myself God drat I want to see Dredd again.

Something that I caught the second time around that completely went over my head on the first viewing, when Dredd pulls out the Stun grenade and tells Anderson "Lets give them the good news". By "Good news" he meant "I'm giving these perps 30 seconds to clear out before I blow them all way". :allears: What a badass movie.

Pookerbacca
Jan 18, 2012

Love United
I've been looking for the UK box office, but have not found anything....anyone know the numbers? <clutching at straws for a sequel>

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah, but I think his point was that he was still taking the risk of killing everyone in the building when arresting her would have been a safe alternative. I'm not disapproving of his decision because it ruled, but the alternative does make more sense.

Are we still in the spoiler zone? Everyone posting seems to have already seen it.

My favorite characterization about Dredd from that final confrontation. Dredd had to pass judgement on Mama RIGHT NOW! He didn't bother to check on Anderson who was bleeding out from being shot.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
The ending made sense thematically to me considering the movie opens with Dredd opening fire with machine guns on a highly congested freeway. His job is to uphold the law and it doesn't matter how many people have to die for that to happen.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Also because Dredd knows that wireless signals tend to not really do a whole lot through poo poo-tons of solid concrete, which holy poo poo people he literally says right before he kills her how did you all miss this. Like, that's very explicitly why he tosses her over the edge instead of just shooting her in the face like every other perp in the movie.

NESguerilla posted:

There's one thing I have wondered about since I saw it. What tactical reason did Dredd have to use the Hotshot? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just shoot the guy? I know it was an excuse to melt a dudes head but still

The perp was an rear end in a top hat and caught Dredd in a bad mood.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 3, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There's one thing I have wondered about since I saw it. What tactical reason did Dredd have to use the Hotshot? Wouldn't it have made more sense to just shoot the guy? I know it was an excuse to melt a dudes head but still

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not disapproving of his decision because it ruled, but the alternative does make more sense.
But improper sentencing violates the Judges' rules. It might even be a crime itself!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Couldn't he have just smoked her once they got out of Peach Tree though?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The thing is, she thought she was in control. She thought she had him, setting up a situation where he'd have to - at least temporarily - knuckle under.

And Dredd takes none of that poo poo.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pookerbacca posted:

I've been looking for the UK box office, but have not found anything....anyone know the numbers? <clutching at straws for a sequel>

About $6 million US dollars, from a foreign total so far of about $10 million, and it might end up with about $15 million domestic. Paltry numbers all around unfortunately.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I hate checking this thread because seeing the box office numbers is really disappointing. Hopefully word of mouth spreads enough that DVD sales are much stronger.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

Presumably to make sure that there was no possible death spasm that could end up pulling the trigger.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WickedIcon posted:

Also because Dredd knows that wireless signals tend to not really do a whole lot through poo poo-tons of solid concrete, which holy poo poo people he literally says right before he kills her how did you all miss this. Like, that's very explicitly why he tosses her over the edge instead of just shooting her in the face like every other perp in the movie.

Well, that and he was out of bullets.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Jedit posted:

Well, that and he was out of bullets.

Hadn't he just restocked from the dead judge's supply?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NESguerilla posted:

There's one thing I have wondered about since I saw it. What tactical reason did Dredd have to use the Hotshot?
Because they didn't see fit to stock him with Ricochets in the movie :mad:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I hope the Lawgiver is really good at detecting context, otherwise you might get situations like this:

[Judge Bloggs sees his friend, Judge Exley]
Bloggs: Hi, Ex!
[An hour later, there's an unfortunate case of overkill and the SJS are called in]

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Payndz posted:

[Judge Bloggs sees his friend, Judge Exley]
Bloggs: Hi, Ex!
[An hour later, there's an unfortunate case of overkill and the SJS are called in]

Why did Judge Exley throw Rolo Tomasi out of the window instead of just shooting him later?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

WickedIcon posted:

The perp was an rear end in a top hat and caught Dredd in a bad mood.

He's just lucky it wasn't a dead mans switch. I would think any trigger based on your heartbeat you would make a dead mans switch, where the bomb goes off if it didn't keep getting a signal every few minutes.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

People who were arguing earlier "Why would he pick up Andersons gun!?"

I guess some perps just never got the memo :shrug:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

greatn posted:

He's just lucky it wasn't a dead mans switch. I would think any trigger based on your heartbeat you would make a dead mans switch, where the bomb goes off if it didn't keep getting a signal every few minutes.

A dead man's switch is much riskier, it can go off if a signal is missed because of interference or a dead battery. She thought her callousness about killing tens of thousands of people would save her, but Dredd proved the superior monster by also being willing to risk his own life.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah, a system where you blow up your own house with you in it if you get less than 4 bars on your cell phone at any time is a bad system.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Just saw this and I thought it was kind of bland and boring, not what I was expecting.

Never read the comic books but I thought Dredd was supposed to be a satire of Dirty Harry style over the top policing/fascism, this movie seemed to be playing it straight though.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

tekz posted:

Just saw this and I thought it was kind of bland and boring, not what I was expecting.

Never read the comic books but I thought Dredd was supposed to be a satire of Dirty Harry style over the top policing/fascism, this movie seemed to be playing it straight though.

This is completely satire. At no point in this movie does anyone do anything that could be considered acceptable policing. The entire premise is satire! "One man, one judge, one executioner" doesn't ring as satire to you?
If you sat through this movie thinking "yeah that seems fair - why aren't we using the Judge system now?!" then you may want to get yourself checked for Fascism. :shobon:

A policeman sentences a criminal to death, and executes him by shooting a flare into his mouth which literally melts his face, and that's the status quo in this movie

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shanty posted:

This is completely satire. At no point in this movie does anyone do anything that could be considered acceptable policing. The entire premise is satire! "One man, one judge, one executioner" doesn't ring as satire to you?
If you sat through this movie thinking "yeah that seems fair - why aren't we using the Judge system now?!" then you may want to get yourself checked for Fascism. :shobon:

A policeman sentences a criminal to death, and executes him by shooting a flare into his mouth which literally melts his face, and that's the status quo in this movie

The movie presents a dystopian future where this happens, but doesn't really hold it up to ridicule or cast any kind of judgement (irony??) at all really. It's a bland shoot em up action movie, satire is actually supposed to be funny :shobon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

wolfman101 posted:

The ending made sense thematically to me considering the movie opens with Dredd opening fire with machine guns on a highly congested freeway. His job is to uphold the law and it doesn't matter how many people have to die for that to happen.

Yeah, the satire is that the justice system is based on the principle that it's more important to horribly punish criminals than it is to actually serve the public interest or protect the citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kindjal
Dec 10, 2003

Time to let go. Follow me.
Just saw this over the weekend and can't wait to go back again to catch it in 3D. I don't think its been mentioned much in the thread, but the prop department did an amazing job arming the gangsters in the opening and the dudes in the tower block. I love how they're all packing this assortment of hacked together Fallout-style poo poo, oddball 70s/80s vintage stuff and a few beat to hell semi-modern guns. It's such a tiny detail, but it really helps to sell that kind of gritty atmosphere the entire film has.

• Locked thread