Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Nighthand posted:

Does anyone have experience with Border Energy? They're one of those companies that go door to door and sign you up for a lower natural gas recovery cost or whatever, and claim you get a lower price with it.

I know some of the companies that come around lock you into a fixed rate, just before your usage skyrockets in the winter, and you end up paying significantly more. This guy was saying that it's more of a flex plan that always stays 10% under what the standard Consumers rate is (I'm in SW Michigan for context.)

I ask because I got kind of steamrolled by the salesman because I recently had issues with my utilities and actually did kind of half-expect a discount or credit to my account, and it wouldn't be the first time they sent someone out in person to mention it. That, plus my own ignorance and legit good salesman tactics on this guy (props to him, most of the door to door people around here are lethargic and defeated the moment they show up) led to me signing on to their plan.

They claim a $55 or so cancellation fee, but only after the initial free cancellation period of 30 days. I see a few BBB and Ripoff Report complaints, but nothing about them actually scamming people with a high fixed rate -- more about being spammed with phone calls and issues contacting them three years ago.

Should I preemptively call and cancel, or is this a legit company? They claim to be sending a terms and conditions document in the mail, and they claim that it will take 1-2 meter reads (so two months) before they actually take effect. They also claim it only works through March. So on one hand, it's not locking me into something lasting for five years with a high price, and they didn't have all the typical rhetoric about a fixed rate saving me money when the price goes up for the winter. On the other hand, the timing makes sure that I won't see the effect on my bill until after it's too late to cancel for free.
You signed a thing without having the full text of the contract / terms and conditions to read in advance? I'd cancel immediately. You can always sign up again (by calling them direct rather than getting "steamrolled" by a door-to-door scammer salesman) if you get the full details, read the full contract and terms and conditions, and decide it's a good deal (it probably isn't.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009
A friend of mine is running a charitable event where several teams each start off with a given item and must travel around the city trying to trade their item for something better. At the end of the day the items will be sold off and the proceeds will go to charity. My friend wants to be able to track the teams in real time so we can periodically update how everyone is doing. Any ideas on good methods to track several groups of people?

This is all going down in New Zealand, so anything specific to the States won't be helpful, unfortunately. Thanks.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Lost Covenant posted:

This is all going down in New Zealand, so anything specific to the States won't be helpful, unfortunately. Thanks.

I have no clue, but please post details of this once formalised in the NZ Goonmeet/gen discussion thread cause it sounds cool

e: serious response: give each team a twitter and a hashtag and make them update every 20m?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 4, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Lost Covenant posted:

My friend wants to be able to track the teams in real time so we can periodically update how everyone is doing. Any ideas on good methods to track several groups of people?

If I understand what you're asking for correctly, I've seen wikis used by teams of people for this sort of purpose.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lost Covenant posted:

A friend of mine is running a charitable event where several teams each start off with a given item and must travel around the city trying to trade their item for something better. At the end of the day the items will be sold off and the proceeds will go to charity. My friend wants to be able to track the teams in real time so we can periodically update how everyone is doing. Any ideas on good methods to track several groups of people?

If you just want to know where the teams are, there are all sorts of gps trackers that will automatically update a map with the gps's current location. If you want to know what item they currently have; Twitter seems like the easiest way to do this to me too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you want coffee milk, just buy coffee milk syrup.

I'm not familiar with this product, but Wikipedia tells me that it's water and sugar strained through coffee grounds, so I'm not sure what the advantage to that would be. For one thing, it has sugar in it, so that would actually make it worse from my perspective. And even if you do want extra sugar in your flavoured milk, you can just add sugar yourself. Plus, having instant coffee in the house is handy if you don't normally drink coffee yourself so that when people come around can offer them coffee.

Also, from the perspective of the person asking how to acclimatise themself to the taste of coffee, if you make coffee flavoured milk from instant coffee you can gradually alter the amount of milk you're putting in until it's just a normal coffee.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is there a way to tell if a book is hardcover, trade paperback or mass-market paper back from the ISBN? I'm looking at ordering some stuff from bookdepository and want to ensure they're all the same size.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

mirthdefect posted:

Is there a way to tell if a book is hardcover, trade paperback or mass-market paper back from the ISBN? I'm looking at ordering some stuff from bookdepository and want to ensure they're all the same size.

My wife the librarian says "maybe" -- sometimes different formats get different ISBNs, sometimes not. The ISBN doesn't encode size at all. She suggests plugging the ISBN into Amazon, click the title and scroll down (quite far) and there should be a "physical description".

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The thing about instant coffee is that it tastes like poo poo, and thus it is not very well suited for getting used to the taste of coffee. Also, generally, the more expensive the coffee, the less bitter it gets, so unlike whiskey, it's actually a good idea to start with the good stuff.

Liebfraumilch
Aug 17, 2008
I'm one of the Splenda-and-cream pansies in the thread's coffee discussion, and I don't know where "Illy" brand espresso fits into the coffee snob hierarchy, but it gets the approval of a Turk who is eternally, vocally disappointed (:negative:) by almost every coffee brand in the United States and I still think it tastes like a cup of misery. Black coffee falls somewhere between licking an ashtray and eating burnt toast for me, and I'm on the fence as to whether I should keep striving against all of my senses to be a proper adult or just submit to my kiddie preferences on this matter.

As an aside, Lavazza has the reluctant Turkish stamp of approval, too, so maybe Lance Streetman can consider trying a tin of that if he's got $6 to spare and no one else vetoes the suggestion.

\/\/\/\/Edit: Maybe you have a point on the Turk. I'm not exactly well-traveled but of the different nationalities I've gotten around to the subject with, each of them were dead certain their people were not only the biggest consumers of coffee but the most discriminating. Israelis, Finns, Swedes, Turks, et cetera. Coffee and capsaisin are inevitable bragging points, I think. David Mitchell had a good grasp on How to Cope with Coffee that makes me feel pretty okay with just doing a little Seinfeld cringe and excusing myself from the audience. :)

Liebfraumilch fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 4, 2012

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I only use beans from local roasters, so I wouldn't know what's in those, but generally speaking, espresso blends are a mix of arabica (the good bean) and robusta (the cheap and bitter bean). This makes for a stronger and more bitter taste, which some people may like, but still isn't the most accessible. Try to find 100% arabica coffees, preferably a light roast, that way you can actually taste the nuances of coffee instead of just caffeine. For those of you who actually drink coffee already, try getting a 100% robusta and a 100% arabica and brew them the same way and taste the difference. It's quite a lot of difference.

Also, I wouldn't trust a Turk on coffee, what with Turkish coffee often being with cardamom.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I'm not familiar with this product, but Wikipedia tells me that it's water and sugar strained through coffee grounds, so I'm not sure what the advantage to that would be. For one thing, it has sugar in it, so that would actually make it worse from my perspective. And even if you do want extra sugar in your flavoured milk, you can just add sugar yourself. Plus, having instant coffee in the house is handy if you don't normally drink coffee yourself so that when people come around can offer them coffee.

Also, from the perspective of the person asking how to acclimatise themself to the taste of coffee, if you make coffee flavoured milk from instant coffee you can gradually alter the amount of milk you're putting in until it's just a normal coffee.

t:mad:> gently caress YOU JUST gently caress YOU :arghfist::mad::coffee:

How would you like it if I offered you a Coke or some tea and then came back with some powdered Coke or powdered tea? And then you had to drink it and thank me for my hospitality?

Please nobody ever buy instant coffee unless you actually like drinking it yourself.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Nighthand posted:

Does anyone have experience with Border Energy? They're one of those companies that go door to door and sign you up for a lower natural gas recovery cost or whatever, and claim you get a lower price with it.

I know some of the companies that come around lock you into a fixed rate, just before your usage skyrockets in the winter, and you end up paying significantly more. This guy was saying that it's more of a flex plan that always stays 10% under what the standard Consumers rate is (I'm in SW Michigan for context.)

I ask because I got kind of steamrolled by the salesman because I recently had issues with my utilities and actually did kind of half-expect a discount or credit to my account, and it wouldn't be the first time they sent someone out in person to mention it. That, plus my own ignorance and legit good salesman tactics on this guy (props to him, most of the door to door people around here are lethargic and defeated the moment they show up) led to me signing on to their plan.

They claim a $55 or so cancellation fee, but only after the initial free cancellation period of 30 days. I see a few BBB and Ripoff Report complaints, but nothing about them actually scamming people with a high fixed rate -- more about being spammed with phone calls and issues contacting them three years ago.

Should I preemptively call and cancel, or is this a legit company? They claim to be sending a terms and conditions document in the mail, and they claim that it will take 1-2 meter reads (so two months) before they actually take effect. They also claim it only works through March. So on one hand, it's not locking me into something lasting for five years with a high price, and they didn't have all the typical rhetoric about a fixed rate saving me money when the price goes up for the winter. On the other hand, the timing makes sure that I won't see the effect on my bill until after it's too late to cancel for free.

Did he quickly show you his ID, and then ask to see your most recent bill? Yeah that was so he can get your account info to switch you over whether you decided to sign up or not. I also live in SW Mich and had one of these guys show up to my door the other week. Lucky for me I already knew about this scam and told him to get off my property before I call the cops. He actually asked why I would call the cops and then told me it wouldn't matter because they already know he is here. :psyduck: You are going to want to contact Consumers or DTE or whoever and tell them about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

greazeball posted:

How would you like it if I offered you a Coke or some tea and then came back with some powdered Coke or powdered tea? And then you had to drink it and thank me for my hospitality?

Um, fine? At home I buy a particular brand and variety (several actually) of tea and make it the way I like, but if someone offers me a cup of tea I'll drink it any way it comes. And if you really don't like instant coffee, you just say "no thanks" when offered.

I occasionally drink coffee myself but really only keep it in the house for other people, who are free to drink it or not as they choose.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I've had powdered soda mixes before and they were perfectly fine, same with for tea. They're not the ~very best~ but it's not like they tend to be bad.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Trastion posted:

Did he quickly show you his ID, and then ask to see your most recent bill? Yeah that was so he can get your account info to switch you over whether you decided to sign up or not. I also live in SW Mich and had one of these guys show up to my door the other week. Lucky for me I already knew about this scam and told him to get off my property before I call the cops. He actually asked why I would call the cops and then told me it wouldn't matter because they already know he is here. :psyduck: You are going to want to contact Consumers or DTE or whoever and tell them about it.

That's pretty crazy. I've turned down other people before from companies I knew were going around with the fixed-rate plans, but this whole deal was new. I usually don't even have a paper bill to show (I do it all online) but happened to have one on hand because of the issues I had with my account last month.

I've sent a contact e-mail to Consumers so I guess I'll see what they say. It would be pretty neat if it turned out to be legitimately 10% less than the standard rate, but I don't have high hopes.

Randyest: I didn't sign anything, but it looks like I didn't need to, they just needed whatever information they pulled from the aforementioned bill. If they send me the terms and conditions like they said they would, I'll definitely be reviewing them, but I won't be waiting very long for them. They said there's a 30 day period to cancel before cancellation charges apply, so if the t&c isn't here within a week I'm not about to wait up for it.

Thanks for the input, hopefully this doesn't turn into a huge clusterfuck.

Giant Squid
May 17, 2005
Tentacles rise from the sea...
Is it common for left-handed kids who are just learning their ABC's to write words right to left and "mirror" their letters?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I found a check that was issued in December of last year that was never deposited (moving). Can I still deposit this check? It's from a big company that I don't work for anymore and probably can't get another one re-cut.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is all the music sold on itunes completely DRM free? Or are the tracks that cost 1.29 DRM free while the 0.99 cent ones are DRM’d? Sorry for a dumb question. I’ve never had a reason to use itunes until now.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

FCKGW posted:

I found a check that was issued in December of last year that was never deposited (moving). Can I still deposit this check? It's from a big company that I don't work for anymore and probably can't get another one re-cut.

My bank will accept a check up to a year old.

I imagine it depends on the bank, have you asked them yet?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think a year is legally obligated but I might be wrong.

Also illy is quite good, but check out the white chocolate mocha I mentioned its a gateway coffee I swear

Titan Coeus
Jul 30, 2007

check out my horn

Giant Squid posted:

Is it common for left-handed kids who are just learning their ABC's to write words right to left and "mirror" their letters?

I copied and pasted your question word for word into Google and seemed to get reasonable results. I don't know much about the topic but the resources seemed alright.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wedemeyer posted:

Is all the music sold on itunes completely DRM free? Or are the tracks that cost 1.29 DRM free while the 0.99 cent ones are DRM’d? Sorry for a dumb question. I’ve never had a reason to use itunes until now.

All music is completely DRM free. Movies and TV and apps are DRMed. I'm not sure about audiobooks but they are probably DRMed.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

:allears: Coffee snobs.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Giant Squid posted:

Why would they? right-handed Arabic kids don't write left to right either. There's no reason to assume a connection between what way you write and what hand you use.

Cakefool posted:

:allears: Coffee snobs.

:allears:

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Suppose I have a state map (like that found here), where I color each county in a different color based on some particular metric (for example the population of that county). Is there a term for maps of this type, i.e., how would I refer to such a map in a paragraph?

EDIT: Apparently it is called a Choropleth map.

Jose Cuervo fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 5, 2012

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

FCKGW posted:

Some checks will say something about having to be cashed/deposited within 90 days. I would think if it does not say anything like that on it then you should be good to go.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mirthdefect posted:

No.

ISBNs will indicate country and publisher, but there is no "format" portion within the code.

To do what you want, take the ISBN of the item you're looking at and find a library's website that allows searching on ISBN and includes a physical description of the item. Worldcat will most likely work for this.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 5, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
On Wikipedia you can find this animation of the shifting of the continents over the past 600 million years. I want to turn this into a 3D animation. What software should I use to translate this flat Mollweide projection onto a sphere and produce an animation?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 5, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Baron Bifford posted:

On Wikipedia you can find this animation of the shifting of the continents over the past 600 million years. I want to turn this into a 3D animation. What software should I use to translate this flat projection onto a sphere and produce an animation?

A lot of things could do it, it really depends what software/languages you're familiar with. I'm pretty sure it could be done relatively easily in Mathematica (if the projection is known), but non-scientific-computing programming languages/graphics libraries could do it too.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Never mind.

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 6, 2012

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I've noticed that men, as they grow older, tend to develop thicker, meatier hands. Is there a reason for this?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Meat Recital posted:

I've noticed that men, as they grow older, tend to develop thicker, meatier hands. Is there a reason for this?

Overall body fat increase?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Meat Recital posted:

My best guess is that it has something to do with (as noted above) body fat increase, decreased circulation or arthritis. I've seen a lot of old guys with frail little hands, though.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I've been using ear drops in preparation for a syringing and when I put them in my right ear it crackles and I can feel it moving around and there's a very slight burning pain on the outside of the ear (probably because I can't help but wipe it with tissue afterwards), and my left ear has no similar effects. Wax kind of comes out the right ear with a bit of encouragement, but the left is mostly just letting some of the drops back out and feeling even more clogged. What should I be doing to make it work properly? I'm kind of a gumby when it comes to ears.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Say I'm applying to a data entry job. My two most recent things were an internship that was basically souped up data entry, and a little under a year working in an ice cream store. I can either put just the data entry on it because it's what's relevant, but it also makes for a very empty resume—or I can put both data entry+ice cream job, but the second isn't relevant and may look like like I'm trying to make my resume not look empty. What should I do?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Put both. Shows you can keep a job and weren't just loving off for however many months or years.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

buttopticor posted:

A lot of things could do it, it really depends what software/languages you're familiar with. I'm pretty sure it could be done relatively easily in Mathematica (if the projection is known), but non-scientific-computing programming languages/graphics libraries could do it too.
I don't know squat about 3D animation, or graphical design for that matter beyond casual experience with GIMP. This is an opportunity for me to learn - what would you recommend to a noob?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't know squat about 3D animation, or graphical design for that matter beyond casual experience with GIMP. This is an opportunity for me to learn - what would you recommend to a noob?

It depends on your goal.
  • If your goal is "have that animation in 3D on a globe", I'd try to contact the person who made it and/or ask/pay someone to 3D-ify it.
  • If your goal is to learn about 3D animation/graphical design (these things probably wouldn't lead to the ability to take the 2D thing and make it a 3D thing), then there's probably stuff to that end in Creative Convention.
  • If your goal is "learn how one might 3D-ify that animation, without learning anything about 3D animation in general" then I'd recommend boninng up on coordinate geometry and the transformations involved in making projections like that, and then seeing if you or someone you know has access to a university license for a computing program that can do the job easily or, failing that, some math and image processing libraries for your favorite programming language (learning a serious programming language if necessary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I want to know if this is bullshit or not. My aunt says leaving the fish tank lights on in the day will help slow down the evaporation of the water. Is this true?