Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
The main conference pass is a drat good pass, if you're just trying to meet people it will work fine. You'll do most of that in the afterparties and around the convention, don't even need to go for talks to do that. If you're concerned about price, consider being a CA, they get a free ride in exchange for volunteering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rekka posted:

What do you think? What expo from a business standpoint makes sense to go to?

What about E3, or expos in Europe?

Also, based on this info. If I wanted to go to GDC, what pass would I definitely need to buy. Is it worth buying the all access pass or can I make do with just the main conference pass?
Figure out what market you're targetting before you choose a convention. These days, the conventions tend to attract a specific sort of looking-to-do-business person - indies largely focus on PAX, for instance. Everyone goes, but E3's not necessarily the place to find someone with an iOS game game they're looking to get a partner on.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
So we're a week out, and I've seen interest in a goon meet, but anyone got ideas for anything concrete? We need something like the San-Fran Checvy's, somewhere close to the convention and accessible that goons can just show up to and know there'll be other goons at.

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

GetWellGamers posted:

So we're a week out, and I've seen interest in a goon meet, but anyone got ideas for anything concrete? We need something like the San-Fran Checvy's, somewhere close to the convention and accessible that goons can just show up to and know there'll be other goons at.

If someone else wants to suggest a spot that would be great.

As it stands right now I'm trying to secure a large number of invites to the Playspan party to use that as a goon meet.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

GetWellGamers posted:

The convention center is right in downtown Austin close(walking distance) to hundreds of bars and restaurants. It all depends on what kind of place people want to meet at, and as mentioned there will be a ton of parties going on, most of which only require a expo ticket/badge to get into.

Jackalope is a good go-to dive bar that also serves food. Recess is an interesting little place on 6th that has a bunch of old arcade machines, most of which are free. Gingerman is a great place with an insane beer selection. Buffalo Billiards is a huge place with tons of pool tables and shuffle board tables that would be good if the crowd is big.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought they were closing the downtown gingerman due to a lease dispute? That's a great venue but it's also completely packed on weekends.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Who has two thumbs and is eating BBQ at Richard Garriott's house? This guy.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Comrade Flynn posted:

Have you got your thumbs up?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Category Fun! posted:

Have you got your thumbs up?

Way up, buddy.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Lord British does not live in a house... You are eating BBQ in BRITTANIA MANOR!

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Hadlock posted:

I thought they were closing the downtown gingerman due to a lease dispute? That's a great venue but it's also completely packed on weekends.

Not sure your context here, do you live in Austin? They moved locations a couple years ago due to a lease issue but to the best of my knowledge have not had any issues at their new place.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

devilmouse posted:

Lord British does not live in a house... You are eating BBQ in BRITTANIA MANOR!

That is a fact. He never did say house, he said "Britannia Manor". Which is kind of awesome.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
New studio starting up in Austin. Couple job postings are up now. Battlecry Studios
http://jobs.zenimax.com/ Sort by Battlecry as location if you want to see the specific positions.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

That is a fact. He never did say house, he said "Britannia Manor". Which is kind of awesome.
How did you come to be eating BBQ at Britannia Manor?

(and I am so envious right now)

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Shalinor posted:

How did you come to be eating BBQ at Britannia Manor?

(and I am so envious right now)

Most game devs (in austin) party at his place every summer. The IGDA summer picnic is held as his place and it's always pretty awesome. It's a trip the first time you are stuffing your face and he just sits down next to you.

Dinurth fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 4, 2012

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thought he was selling Britannia Manor II? Or did he finish Britannia Manor III?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dinurth posted:

Most game devs (in austin) party at his place every summer. The IGDA summer picnic is held as his place and it's always pretty awesome. It's a trip the first time you are stuffing your face and he just sits down next to you.
Man, someday I need to be in the area for that. The Denver IGDA picnic is just a bunch of us nerds sitting in the middle of a field.

This year, we had badminton :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Yay, awesome release party all across SF tomorrow :toot:

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Hey all, we need people at Amazon Game Studios. If you're in Seattle or San Francisco and would like to work on Social/Mobile games, click here.
Open positions include a Game Development Engineer, back-end development engineer, test/tools/infrastructure development engineer, Senior QA, Producer, Art Manager, and more.
It's a pretty cool place to work. Kind of a mid-size start-up studio with the resources of Amazon behind it.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just put up two questions on Quora if anyone here would like to offer answers/suggestions.
Any answers/suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Cliffy B left Epic?

EDIT: Yep: http://epicgames.com/community/2012/10/cliff-bleszinski-departs-epic/

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Resource posted:

New studio starting up in Austin. Couple job postings are up now. Battlecry Studios
http://jobs.zenimax.com/ Sort by Battlecry as location if you want to see the specific positions.

This is Vogel's studio, isn't it? I don't mean this towards you - but jesus, I wish the games industry would stop giving failed studio leads do-overs. Screw up one studio, fine, learn your lessons, and don't make them again. Screw it up a second time? Maybe it's time to stop giving them studios to gently caress up?

Ugh. I hate the industry and its lack of a memory.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

devilmouse posted:

This is Vogel's studio, isn't it? I don't mean this towards you - but jesus, I wish the games industry would stop giving failed studio leads do-overs. Screw up one studio, fine, learn your lessons, and don't make them again. Screw it up a second time? Maybe it's time to stop giving them studios to gently caress up?

Ugh. I hate the industry and its lack of a memory.

Yes, it is Vogel's. I'm not involved in the new studio though.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Dinurth posted:

It's actually just myself and a coworker going. So it should be...interesting.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

DancingMachine posted:

Hey all, we need people at Amazon Game Studios. If you're in Seattle or San Francisco and would like to work on Social/Mobile games, click here.
Open positions include a Game Development Engineer, back-end development engineer, test/tools/infrastructure development engineer, Senior QA, Producer, Art Manager, and more.
It's a pretty cool place to work. Kind of a mid-size start-up studio with the resources of Amazon behind it.

Sounds like they're recruiting for Vancouver, too, huh?

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Hey game-making goons! I'm in the middle of writing up my CV, and a couple of questions popped up that i would like to know the general consensus of.

Question #1: Is it ok to put projects that has been cancelled on your CV?

Question #2: Is it ok to put projects that has been announced but not yet released on your CV?

Love you!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Well, first off both of those would depend on what your NDA says. Secondly, I would ask if you have and are allowed to show work from them.

If it's just to show you haven't been unemployed all that time, I would guess putting "Cancelled Project" or "Unannounced Title" wouldn't really count against you.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bloody Wanker posted:

Hey game-making goons! I'm in the middle of writing up my CV, and a couple of questions popped up that i would like to know the general consensus of.

Question #1: Is it ok to put projects that has been cancelled on your CV?

Question #2: Is it ok to put projects that has been announced but not yet released on your CV?

Love you!

#1 I listed "Unannounced <genre> Project" in my CV, with my shipped titles section. I had seen it in several resumes I've read over the years too.

#2 I would imagine so, just be careful about what you disclose in the details.

Obviously this depends entirely on the conditions of the NDA you signed when you left the company.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hey, if the Geared guy is still poking around the forums, or someone remembers this article, I'm looking for something. I've got a friend who's doing the solo iOS gig, and I remember reading a great write up by the Geared guy on these forums on marketing for the game and controlling the game's success. I'd love to link this article to my friend, but I can't find it.

In other gaming news, what items do your studios usually give you to commemorate a game launch? We used to do plaques, but we are switching to coins. The switch is for boring reasons, the plaques were always coming in at different sizes and were usually delayed, the hope is the coins will be more consistent.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Chainclaw posted:

In other gaming news, what items do your studios usually give you to commemorate a game launch? We used to do plaques, but we are switching to coins. The switch is for boring reasons, the plaques were always coming in at different sizes and were usually delayed, the hope is the coins will be more consistent.

In MW3's case, it was tons of swag and the company was flown to LA for the launch party, where we got pretty nice swag bags.

For just us, we have little gameplates we hang on our cubes. Its pretty hilarious to see how many the creative director and the studio head have. I've only got four :(

EDIT: Yeah, plus copies of the game.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 5, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
We got some croissants once :kiddo:

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Coins sound really cool. We get... a copy of the game. And usually a t-shirt.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:
I might get a copy of the game. In a few months. After a lot of hassling.

... :smith:

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I guess the upside to working in online-only games is I don't need a boxed copy to play, and I get free subscriptions for as long as I work here! Yay...?

We used to celebrate new game launches with champagne, which sucked a bit because I used to hate champagne. I haven't finished a title since I developed a taste for wine though... I wonder if this is a coincidence.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

NetDevil did big signing parties. Pens were everywhere, posters were everywhere, and everyone ran around getting their copy of the game a/o a poster signed by everyone.

... though, more cool was the 5 year commemoration. Everyone reaching 5 years at the studio was given a sword of their choice, which was hung on an honor wall near the front.

(Yes, some people chose light sabers)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

EgonSpengler posted:

Spent a week with my team, headed back home tomorrow. So happy to be back at work solving important virtual murder simulator problems.

If any of you are RTS/MOBA gameplay designers and want a job in Germany PM me.

Congratulations Egon!

I'm really glad to hear you landed back on your feet.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

We'd get plaques / mounted copies of the disc in a frame with our name on it.

Pretty classy, and after 15 years, I don't have to paint one of my walls anymore.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
UK Goons, would anyone know much about Hardlight Studios?

I'm getting a phone call on Monday from them about a Junior Designer role, and the small amount information I can dig up is that they're one of SEGA's newer smaller studios, and focused on mobile games.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Never heard of them. Spending a year making a vita game then shelving it to focus on iOS sounds like typical Sega confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Super Slash posted:

I'm getting a phone call on Monday from them about a Junior Designer role, and the small amount information I can dig up is that they're one of SEGA's newer smaller studios, and focused on mobile games.
Some of the exec's are supposedly ex-Codemasters guys. That's all I know.