Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Raepdog posted:

Looking at one of my players thinking a normal person is a supernatural, any tips?

Instead of an actually normal person, you could make him a Slasher, albeit a low-powered, high-functioning one. His behavioral... quirks inadvertently (or deliberately?) lead the PCs to thinking that he's supernatural, or at least affiliated with some supernatural thingy, without actually giving away what he actually is. When the PCs try to kill him or otherwise gently caress up his life, it's not because they realize how dangerous he is, but because they think he's Something Else - and when they realize they're wrong about him being supernatural, they don't realize that they were right about him being a very real threat. Of course, if he survives, this could be what pushes him over the edge to becoming a full-on Scourge, now set on getting even and newly aware of what the PCs' capabilities are and how they operate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

MalcolmSheppard posted:

So, my recommended structure:

1) Your dudes are normal dudes, and they have a Mystery Play where they Awaken, pick Gnosis, Path and Path Arcana, and use them in an active denoument.
2) Your now-Awakened dudes play through or bluebook individual sessions, where they pick rotes and Merits.
3) Now you're all starting PC mages, though with a bit more XP under your belt.

I personally think Legacies are better to pick up in later play, as they really are an expression of "After a while, I am ready to commit to what I think I'm all about."

This is basically what I did with the Mage pbp I'm running here. Started with two chapters as mortals concluding with a group-based Mystery Play. That got players comfortable with their characters, gave a lot of details for the mages' normal lives and a ton of NPCs to go back to later.

Players picked Path first a few sessions before the Mystery Play, so I could work in signs and portents leading up to the big moment. Once awakened, irrelevant Merits were refunded and Arcana dots came right away. They met actual mages soon after. Order picks came next, followed by Rotes a few (free) dots at a time as the story progresses.

The actual training scenes we are flashing back to during an action scene, to avoid actually playing through wizard training, but still showing them learn Mage Armor and whatnot. Legacies aren't even on the radar yet, that will be a distant future thing after Gnosis ratings get raised a bit.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Thanks, this is really helping, keep the suggestions coming. Also you said "Mystery Play" which makes me think I should do something really ridiculously outre with The Play's The Thing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

JDCorley posted:

Thanks, this is really helping, keep the suggestions coming. Also you said "Mystery Play" which makes me think I should do something really ridiculously outre with The Play's The Thing.

To be honest, you could do worse than to read Ritorix's game and see how he did it. It's a really good game.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The Suicide Problem or; How to Make a Spark in The World of Darkness

So I'm an ST in a mixed game, we got quite a few players but we're all good friends so its working out well even if there is the occasional bitching. I have one player I like a lot, hes an ex-cop who recently fell in love with a dame and he is living out a supernatural Noir lifestyle.

Problem is, the character's life is so lovely and so grim its hard to keep the player interested- it is almost reaching a point where a normal person would kill themselves. Almost, and I should clarify a bit.

Ordinary cop leaves force and has zero resources so he works at a grocery store for a pimple faced condescending teenager half his age (the economy is personal horror). That actually gets a bit brighter when someone looking at attack this guy stabs his boss with a needle and gives him Hepatitis, and I've worked at having things be dark with the occasional gag.

Basically a women dressed in black with black hair and a story to tell meets him, shes looking for protection and pays him with a red broach. They go back to his place, something attacks them and can only be identified by its low breathing and the ex cop gets to be a hero by killing what turns out to be an old man with a respirator possessed by something.

The creature holds a grudge, attacks him at work and gives his boss Hepatitis before the meth head that hes possessed is killed by cops. So of course he shoots the gem in his home and that turns the game into Silent Hill: The Room when he finds out that his apartment is now in Malfeas and that if he exits his fire escape window hes in a hell world.

Now, this is not too bad- he had a great scene talking to his Eurotrash Landlord. It does however bring up something I notice in a lot of World of Darkness Games, something I try not to do as an ST and hate when other people do it- make it so dark that no one in their right mind would do anything short of pack up and leave their life behind. I notice that sometimes new STs will look to 'troll' the players and end up making it less World of Darkness and more World of Everything You Do Fails and You Suck.

I've always found that seeing the consequences of succeeding at something is way more horrible personally than bad things happening because you fail at something.

Anyone else notice this trend in some games or have any advice how you work around it?

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
Well, to me it doesn't sound super terrible, assuming the woman with the red brooch is someone worth protecting/actually has something at stake.

Or maybe an old friend on the force believes his story and helps him out of a jam, but now they want him to keep digging into it "off the books".

Basically I would work out what good things could come of his actions or how he might be rewarded for what he's done, and do that, if things are getting too grim.

Edit: Snotty kid with hepatitis is brought low by his misfortune. Will the PC help him out or step on his face? And so on.

JDCorley fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 4, 2012

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I had the terrible habit of buying and reading nWoD books without really liking the system. I thought I'd gotten over it.

But I just saw there'll be a new Demon...

this changes everything!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It's simple: in World of Darkness, especially in scenarios like that, you can never be sure that where you'd be going after you die is better than what you're leaving behind.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Phil Brucato posted a thing over on RPGnet about the possibility of M20:

Phil Brucato posted:

Hi, folks.

Well, although contracts are not yet signed, I've been in discussions with Rich Thomas at Onyx Path with regards to my development on Mage 20.

In those discussions, Rich and I both agreed that we wanted to make it a pre-Revised setting... so no, no Avatar Storm.

I've already done a preliminary outline, and although many things are subject to change (including my involvement with the project - that's not set in stone just yet), the current outline calls for two-page spreads of the Trads, Conventions, Marauders, Nephandi, and many factions of the Disparate (aka, the Crafts). My current outline leaves out the Hem-ka Sobk, Sisters of Hippolyta, and Wu Keng (they never really seemed to be very significant or popular), but expands upon several themes and ideas presented in the later pre-Revised Mage books. (I'll leave you to wonder about the specifics... )

Rich and I both agree that continuing the 20th anniversary tradition of the "classic" '90s-era lines is the way to go with this. That said, I pitched him a Mage: The New Millennium idea that he seemed to really enjoy. Perhaps that'll be a stretch goal...

Anyway, that's what we've discussed thus far. More details as they develop - so to speak.

Thanks!

- Satyros Phil Brucato,
Mage Line Developer 1993-1999
I'm not personally offended that it looks like it will ignore the Avatar-Storm, but I'm disappointed that the reason is probably because Mage fans are terrible people :(

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Ah yes, 1995's Clanbook Tzimisce.

Why, hello transgendered Nazi Tzimisce Lizard Woman Anti-Semite.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Grim posted:

Phil Brucato posted a thing over on RPGnet about the possibility of M20:
I'm not personally offended that it looks like it will ignore the Avatar-Storm, but I'm disappointed that the reason is probably because Mage fans are terrible people :(

Hey, don't lump us Mage: the Awakening fans in with those weirdos.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So, I have a relatively unpleasant situation in my weekly Changeling game and I'm not sure if I acted correctly.

The Summer Republic was couped and turned back into a Court (I'll spare the political details). The PCs were okay with that, as only one of them belonged to Summer, Aldric, and he didn't care about politics, while the rest of the players had closer ties to the leaders of the new court than the old one. Aldric's mentor, Theodor, was the leader of the Republican Guard, and was now the leader of the resistence. The Summer Queen offered to make Aldric one of her knights if he could use his relationship with Theodor to kill him.

Part of the group agrees to help him, with the plan of tricking Theodor into eating poisoned food to lower his guard, as he had been established as one of the more dangerous Changelings in the region and was under siege in Summer's Hedgefortress, so he could use the supplies from his student. They make pledges for the mission to improve their persuasion, one of them brings his Homespinner's Needle (another social booster) and they head out. So far so good.

Once they get there they have a somewhat tense conversation, because two of the PCs that came along are friends of the coup leaders, and, before anyone could trick anyone of anything, Aldric just pulls out his knife on Theodor, fails to get a surprise attack, and the entire party rolls terribly for the entire combat, resulting in two of the PCs in a coma and the two others surrendering because they didn't sign up for fighting.

Anyway, to prevent a TPK for those present, I had Theodor use this opportunity to extracts oaths of non-interference with the resistance from the party (mutual) and to have them spy on their allies for him for a year in exchange for tokens(sanction is a curse), he forced Aldric in a similar oath, except he was swearing on his life.

So, did I act correctly on this? Most of the players are okay with the whole "double-agent" set-up, though Aldric's player was visibly frustrated. Also, not all of the PCs took part in this, including the deadliest members of the Motley (who thought the whole plan was dumb), so the group is not necessarily restricted in their position towards the resistance.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
it sounds like your player decided to try to surprise you, maybe because he thought you would manage to make the foodpoison plot backfire. There's always that element of adversarial play in RPGs, and generally on the fly stuff like that is why you play pnp rather than on the computer, but this time it hosed up on him because his alternative was really crude. You didn't take the opportunity to escalate and drop rocks on his guy, so I'd say you did fine. What else could you do, give him a pass? Nah, as long as he got the message that choices have consequences without getting hosed over by you railroading the plot then it's all good.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it sounds to me like you handled it pretty well actually.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
From the sounds of things you really made the best call. God only knows what the guy was thinking, pulling a knife on the guy when everyone had tooled up for social.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah I really have no idea how he expected that to play out. Everyone buffs up for social and he pisses it away because... :psyduck:

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer

YithianHistorian posted:

Hey, don't lump us Mage: the Awakening fans in with those weirdos.
Just trying to drag you all down with me

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Loomer posted:

Ah yes, 1995's Clanbook Tzimisce.

Why, hello transgendered Nazi Tzimisce Lizard Woman Anti-Semite.

revised edition pretty much admitted ic she was an embarrassment to the clan. Personally I never really thought much of Tzimisce being pally with the Nazi's if anything they should have bitterly opposed them under the assumption it was yet another wave of Tremere/Ventrue backed germanic incursion into Slavic lands. But CWoD always were quite clumsy in their application of history.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
What was the Avatar Storm?

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

crime fighting hog posted:

What was the Avatar Storm?

AFAIK, it was basically a magical barrier between the flesh and spirit worlds that inflicted agg damage on any mage (and ONLY mages) who tried to cross it. In game, it was the fallout from the spirit nuke the Technocracy used to kill the Ravnos Antediluvian.

Out of game, it was part of the attempt of Mage Revised to center the game's conflict on Earth rather than the Umbra. It was a little heavy-handed, but I agreed that a lot of Mage 2nd unfortunately focused on the spirit worlds, making the game seem more sci-fi/epic fantasy than the gritty urban fantasy genre it was intended to emulate.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hey I was probated before but Werewolf: the Forsaken owns. Its mechanics have some rough edges but frankly I complain much more vociferously about games that I like even more. Werewolf is really neat and playing one in the WoD game I'm in now has been a blast!!

I didn't like Apocalypse much, but mostly because I'd have preferred a game in which your characters were much less ambiguously the good guys and had much less ability to sort of sit around a caern chilling. (Yes, I know that Apocalypse werewolves are pretty brutal regardless of the rightness of their religious crusade.) I can definitely appreciate it in the abstract as a gory, over the top action game.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That's the nice thing about werewolves. Anything from spirits, Pure, other Forsaken and even humans are your enemy. Where Mages might have an interest in protecting humanity because they might awaken or vampires want to keep a docile herd of human allies, that church that just moved in might start feeding spirits of faith that are possessing mortals that make them attempt near suicidal risks to test their faith. So even though that church has done good for the community, helping the poor and the hungry, they have got to go!

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Some people mentioned not being sure about getting the V:tR Blood Sorcery book earlier, it's definitely worth picking up. It turns Cruac/Theban Sorcery into an extremely stripped-down version of Mage's spellcasting with five pseudo-Arcana (Creation, Destruction, Transmutation, Divination, Protection), with spell factors, ritual casting rules, and improvised spells. They struck a really good balance, imo, between making the new system powerful/interesting and making it easy to understand and use.

So now, at long last, your vampire witch can make poisoned apples and summon up crows and spiders and turn inconvenient corpses into rotting vegetation and go Maximum Witch 100% and it just loving owns

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Unfortunately, your witch can also walk around with months-long mage armor or whatever. I love a lot of Blood Sorcery, but some of the mechanics are questionable and like half the Threnodies should just be merits or devotions.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Unfortunately, your witch can also walk around with months-long mage armor or whatever. I love a lot of Blood Sorcery, but some of the mechanics are questionable and like half the Threnodies should just be merits or devotions.

Wow, man, don't be such a wet blanket. If someone wants take advantage of these cool new rules and systems to be a more perfect monster then it's not fair for you to rain on their parade.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I woked so hard designing a "mutate into a giant monster" Devotion and they, just, loving, crank out a paragraph instructing you to roll to see how high your stats go, god drat it-

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I just realized I never got to introduce the Sleestaks in my WoD game. Bugger. They're mentioned about... three or four times by Clutch (just as the reptoid-men in the swamp in Sleestak Lightning, as devil-analogue in Never be Moved (they'll make a meal of your sins), and so forth.)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Loomer posted:

I just realized I never got to introduce the Sleestaks in my WoD game. Bugger. They're mentioned about... three or four times by Clutch (just as the reptoid-men in the swamp in Sleestak Lightning, as devil-analogue in Never be Moved (they'll make a meal of your sins), and so forth.)

The answer is probably going to make me feel dumb, but what's a Sleestak?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Error 404 posted:

Characters from Land of the Lost

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Error 404 posted:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
My favourite WoD line is easily Demon. Its a shame that they have gone away from the christian-centric definitive mythology for their games so Demon will never be seen again, but its understandable and probably for the best all things considered.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

My favourite WoD line is easily Demon. Its a shame that they have gone away from the christian-centric definitive mythology for their games so Demon will never be seen again, but its understandable and probably for the best all things considered.

You realize that there's a new Demon coming out next year, right?

The Wondersaurus
Jun 28, 2005
The Wondersaurus is probably extinct, like most dinosaurs
Yeah, you're in luck on this one.

The Onyx Path Release Schedule posted:

August 2013
DT? – Demon: The ???: A new game line, answering many fan requests; a new look at those creatures of fire and darkness: fallen angels, nightmares from the nether realms, servants of the God Machine or something else entirely? Includes codified rule sets of those rules developed over the last few years including: Shards, SASs, Tiers as well as a rich background for players to immerse themselves in. 320 pages. PDF/PoD Hardcover/ Deluxe Kickstarter.

The month beforehand, they're releasing the translation guide between Demon: the Fallen and Demon: the ???

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Error 404 posted:

Reptile-man from Land of the Lost that clutch referenced a few times. They were pretty awesome, as memory serves - savage, slave-taking, all that jazz. So naturally, Clutch (being surprisingly nerdy for guys who look like they were goddamn born playing hard rock in biker bars) put them in songs.

Most notable would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2zHiZvyw5M which is both awesome and a complete reworking on an earlier song, I Send Pictures. Clutch actually does that quite a bit, re-releasing new versions of old songs with completely revised lyrics and schemes, or new songs incorporating the best elements of others.

Personally, I prefer the following picture to Mors's.

The idea I was working with for the campaign was that eventually the Sleestaks would surface, (after a sufficient break from fishman killing), as both mundane reptoids and infernalists, and as the apocalypse slowly ensued the swamps of Delmarva would turn into a killing field between the players, the Sleestaks and their new Fishman allies, and the reptile-men fleeing from the sinking of Southern Florida (drawn from the song Oregon, where Draco, King of the Dragon Men, comes from. He's actually a Marvel comics character.)

Loomer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 7, 2012

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

The Wondersaurus posted:

Yeah, you're in luck on this one.

The month beforehand, they're releasing the translation guide between Demon: the Fallen and Demon: the ???

Well hoooooly poo poo, thats the best gaming related news I've heard in ever!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I'm sorry your PbP petered out Loomer :(

Did you have any plans involving Robbie's witch-monster backstory?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yup. I was going to try and integrate everyone's backstories in as a later encounter or plotline (Hop got the short end of the stick with the fishmen, for instance).

There were actually a number of plans involving the fae, including the organ-harvesting hag. The organ-harvested corpses from just before we collapsed were actually a misdirect, but the Hag was out there at the same time as one of the alternative routes that could have been pursued.

Seth's invisible critter had kinfolk that are none too pleased with their uncle's fiery demise, and as the apocalypse unfolded they were going to start making appearances (well, so to speak) as well, and it was going to tie in with Malcom's stuff because of the suggestion in Yith's post, which I quite liked.

Danny was going to end up facing down with Joey Matas and that dead hobo as part of a greater Vampire-themed plotline, involving the war between the Princes of Baltimore and D.C., who are in open conflict over who's going to control the greater metropolitan area.

The Father, well, the loving Apocalypse is on the horizon. You'd best believe his lapsed faith is going to come into play, especially with the infernalists coming about.

Elaine's plotline was going to tie into the vampiric war as well, for obvious reasons, but I also had the concept of trying it more closely to her theme song and involving the fae. That was one I wasn't sure on but liked the idea of using both.

Blaine, if things had added up, was going to find out what really happened to his mama, and learn just why you don't want to go poking under dark rocks when it comes to family. His stuff was rougher by the time it caved, since he was the newest addition.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I'm really sad that dropped now.

So hey, anybody curious how well Hunter stuff might port to that new tremulus game?

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
Question for you guys:

Which Mage: The Awakening spells would you consider it a waste of time to roll dice for? I'm not talking about spells that don't work properly, but those where a dice roll just doesn't matter much in play -- you'll probably succeed if you're halfway decent, and more successes don't matter. The classic examples are Shielding armor spells, where a roll might provide a trivial Mana discount. Can you think of others?

MalcolmSheppard fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Basically all the Unveiling spells come to mind - a killer roll on a Mage Sight doesn't give you any more information, since that's what Resonance Analysis and other rolls that indicate protracted, focused scrutiny do. Potency just makes those harder to dispel, and really how often is someone going to go out of their way to shut down your (free, infinitely repeatably castable) perception spells?

• Locked thread