Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Madkal posted:

Was at a friends place on the weekend and she had some old Spiderman comics lieing around. I saw this cover and had to have a chuckle about Spiderman at the Calgary Stampede.

Also, as a Canadian I have never heard of Turbine, our newest sensation.

He probably felt safe because he had his web-shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
She-Hulk 4:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Breetai posted:

She-Hulk 4:

They should really have used that in one of the Spiderman movies, especially to see the Conservative pundits use it as proof of the movie being a racist plot.

edit--Something's wrong with imgur, rehosting...

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 2, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A good explanation of Spidey's Spider-Sense.

Ultimate Spider-Man FCBD, a comic version of the first episode of the tv show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That's bloody adorable, as Chibi Spidey tends to be.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I love how he has all these spider based abilities, and then out of loving nowhere he has precognition. Because that is what it is, it's not like he has some sort of hyper-sense subconscious understanding of danger about to happen or some such. Nope, he's just flat out psychic. Dude knew when Thanos killed half of all life. Why? Spider radiation makes you magic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Boogaleeboo posted:

I love how he has all these spider based abilities, and then out of loving nowhere he has precognition. Because that is what it is, it's not like he has some sort of hyper-sense subconscious understanding of danger about to happen or some such. Nope, he's just flat out psychic. Dude knew when Thanos killed half of all life. Why? Spider radiation makes you magic.

I figure Stan Lee had tried to kill a spider the day before, but the little guy kept dodging his attacks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair, back for most of his history when his Shooters were artificial and he didn't have crazy spider-powers added... were his powers really all that spidery? Super-strength/reflexes and the ability to climb walls. Pretty drat general. He could've been, like, gecko-man.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Boogaleeboo posted:

Spiderman spider-totem!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, back for most of his history when his Shooters were artificial and he didn't have crazy spider-powers added... were his powers really all that spidery? Super-strength/reflexes and the ability to climb walls. Pretty drat general. He could've been, like, gecko-man.

Gecko-man exists.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, pretty sure these days in Marvel when you get a superpower you've just gotta go through a list of animals until you hit one that hasn't been used and run with it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, pretty sure these days in Marvel when you get a superpower you've just gotta go through a list of animals until you hit one that hasn't been used and run with it.

Man, this would be the perfect opportunity to re-post the Walrus... if I had the pics :effort:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pacra posted:

Spiderman spider-totem!

I really like the idea of the spider totem. It's just that the few mentions of it have sucked.

Just the idea of Peter being a 100% science type guy having to deal with magic and religion is the sort of thematic tension I think could make some great stories.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

MikeJF posted:

Didn't he used to (pre-films) climb walls by manipulating gravity or something absurd like that?

Uthor posted:

A good explanation of Spidey's Spider-Sense.

Ultimate Spider-Man FCBD, a comic version of the first episode of the tv show.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Sockser posted:

Didn't he used to (pre-films) climb walls by manipulating gravity or something absurd like that?

Spider-Man is not good at dealing with bricks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Boogaleeboo posted:

I think they explain it saying that it works like how a spider can sense stuff using the vibration of its web.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

To be fair, that's not a giant Acme novelty safe.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
From AvX VS #6

If only this whole series would have just been " :fry: : The Comic"..

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

NoMoneyDown posted:

From AvX VS #6

If only this whole series would have just been " :fry: : The Comic"..

I can't help but read this as Deadpool's viewpoint of the whole thing.

Also, :iceburn: on Green Arrow there!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Uthor posted:

To be fair, that's not a giant Acme novelty safe.

I'm sure if I go digging I can find something of the sort in the newspaper Spider-man archives. I know I've seen him get pistolwhipped like, a half dozen times.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also from AVX VS #6!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 3, 2012

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Avengers Acadamy 38.

Look at that fuzzy tail.

Look at it. :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just loving the expression on Doop.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

Avengers Acadamy 38.

Look at that fuzzy tail.

Look at it. :3:

How are you gonna post images from that issue and not post the triumphant return of thread favorite, Rockslide! I'll thumbnail these to prevent too much same day posting of comics since it makes some people mad.

AA 38 had so much great stuff. Seriously, everyone should go out and buy it, because it's essentially an issue of Wolverine and the X-Men, which you should already be buying.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
That's the kind of fun stuff comics SHOULD be. Rockslide is awesome.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Mister Roboto posted:

Rockslide is the greatest.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Oh, man. Avengers Academy is good again? When did that start?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mister Roboto posted:

Times Rockslide says "awesome" in To Serve and Protect: an even ten. Also two instances of "prepare to get rocked!"
Basically what I'm saying he he should have his own solo title. It would be awesome.

edit: ^^^ Avengers Academy's AVX tie-ins were good. Then I thought the "Final Exam" arc kinda sucked (though Mettle and Hazmat touching was kinda.. touching). And then today's issue was good. And next month's issue is the final one.

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 4, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Practical Demon posted:

Oh, man. Avengers Academy is good again? When did that start?

This issue to be honest, just in time for the series to get canceled. Although the last arc (dealing with Briggs) wasn't unbearable, it wasn't good enough to recommend either. The AvX-tie-ins were ok, but had barely anything to do with Avengers Academy.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Madkal posted:

Was at a friends place on the weekend and she had some old Spiderman comics lieing around. I saw this cover and had to have a chuckle about Spiderman at the Calgary Stampede.

Also, as a Canadian I have never heard of Turbine, our newest sensation.

The other side of this coin is Batman's trip to Canada to promote literacy and Zellers.

For some reason instead of going to the Stampede, Batman fights Joker at a generic rodeo in Edmonton. You can read the whole comic here.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Perry Normal posted:

For some reason instead of going to the Stampede, Batman fights Joker at a generic rodeo in Edmonton. You can read the whole comic here.

This was published in 1992? :psyduck:

No wonder we had the Dark Age, the previous one was so kid friendly it may as well have been Barney.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

To be totally fair, this probably wasn't a good example of comics at that time (as far as I know, anyway). It wasn't a random issue of Batman, it was an educational/promotional comic made for Canada - "Zellers and Batman team up to fight illiteracy!" They used to hand these out at schools, so I think they're a bit more squeaky-clean than what you'd regularly find on the newsstand. Though, I was like 10 at the time, so I don't remember exactly what comics were like at the time.

The Spider-Man comic that was originally posted was part of a 4 issue series of educational comics. The one posted earlier was about road-safety, McFarlane did the cover of the first issue, which was about drugs.

EDIT- They collected a bunch of Spidey's educational comics into a TPB. Used that McFarlane art for the cover but edited out the kid's Oilers jersey, hahaha. http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Fights-Substance-Graphic-Novels/dp/0785159789

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 4, 2012

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Oops. Reply is not edit.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Perry Normal posted:

The other side of this coin is Batman's trip to Canada to promote literacy and Zellers.

I remember a discussion about this comic on this forum years ago.

"This comic was terrible. It was about the Joker declaring that he owned North America and that he was evicting everyone else."

"I don't know, that sounds pretty awesome."

"It was bad. There was a scene of Batman and some teenagers going to Zellers to buy cowboy hats."

"You aren't helping your argument."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perry Normal posted:

I'll give them this: Edmonton is famous for their public plaza that dwarfs Red Square.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TwoPair posted:

How are you gonna post images from that issue and not post the triumphant return of thread favorite, Rockslide! I'll thumbnail these to prevent too much same day posting of comics since it makes some people mad.

AA 38 had so much great stuff. Seriously, everyone should go out and buy it, because it's essentially an issue of Wolverine and the X-Men, which you should already be buying.
Rockslide's new "Mutation" of an over-active imagination is one of my favorite panels in a long time.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Yeah when Rockslide gets shoved further into the background for whatever new batch of surefire breakout mutants AvX has unleashed it's going to be a tragedy.

Side note: If they ever kill him off I'm going to paint myself grey and beat up the writer responsible while explaining they already assigned him immortality due to being a disembodied consciousness controlling whatever rocks are handy.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Perry Normal posted:

This was the only Batman comic I owned as a kid, and I was completely baffled and disappointed by how lovely the loving Batmobile was. I still am.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The panel from that Avengers Academy issue with Quicksilver and Warbird having just been tased is good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Side note: If they ever kill him off I'm going to paint myself grey and beat up the writer responsible while explaining they already assigned him immortality due to being a disembodied consciousness controlling whatever rocks are handy.

"Why is Colossus beating us up?"

But seriously, more X-Titles with Rockslide in them. I don't know why, but with New Mutants on it's way out again, they need to have a title with the "new" mutants. They tend to have the more interesting stories (to me at least), and I'm going to miss New Mutants, so if some of them (Warlock) don't go to another team would be a waste, to me.

EDIT: Obligitory:

Uncanny X-Men #542

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 4, 2012

• Locked thread