Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Random Stranger posted:

It's a game I don't like at all, I never hear anyone talking about, but apparently if you make some public statement about how terrible it was then you'll get a few hundred e-mails telling you what a monster you are.

You better not be talking crap about my beloved Aerobiz or PTO games, or else I'm going to full on internet rage you by sending you passive aggressive emails and saying things on a message board! (seriously don't please, my e-buddies would get mad if I didn't white knight every little thing someone says and they'll e-hate me and take away my mod status on 4chan)

p.s. I do love those games and also the cool things you do to get me my GCCX fix, I'll buy you a pumpkin pie Blizzard sometime dear sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I am straight-up jealous of everyone who has their DVD collection already. Mine doesn't arrive until Saturday :( Then again, it arrives on Saturday so I can just sit on the couch and watch all day. I haven't seen any of these challenges, so it'll be a fresh experience. Really looking forward to it!

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
My copies arrived today! Amazon's estimation for delivery with super saver shipping was Thursday, so getting it a day early was a sweet surprise. Been jonesin' to watch the Ninja Gaiden challenge again.

Also thanks to the team for filling in these gaps with the segments missing on the DVD episodes, it's great to see these for completionist's sake. In the Mystery of Atlantis intro, I couldn't help but notice that the first scene ended up being the picture they've been using to introduce Arino's Challenge for all these years.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

OrochiKiyo posted:

Got my copy of RGM/GCCX Collection today. Haven't watched any episodes yet as I just got off work, but I flipped the cover and noticed details on Z-G's art that I hadn't noticed before... like the name written on the back of the game cartridge.

All the little details like that are shown/explained here:

Shock Trooper posted:

In the Mystery of Atlantis intro, I couldn't help but notice that the first scene ended up being the picture they've been using to introduce Arino's Challenge for all these years.

Holy crud, good eye.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~
My boxset came from Amazon today! I've been spending a few hours in Handbrake ripping them and organizing them specifically for my dedicated GCCX external drive. The new translation is great -- it adds a lot of character in comparison to the TV-Nihon subs, which I can now comfortably delete from my collection.

Thanks again to the SA translation team for all the hard work! Hopefully it'll sell well enough to warrant many more releases in the immediate future. :)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
My DVDs were delivered today! But to the wrong address because I ordered them way back before I moved! poo poo! Oh well, I'll get them tomorrow. At least I have these to keep me company in the meantime.

Thanks Chococat!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

zari-gani posted:

All the little details like that are shown/explained here:

(awesome explanation pic)

Ah, I hadn't realized that was AD Urakawa doing the Takeshi's Castle thing. :doh: So, uh... was that explanation pic requested by someone, or did you happen to make it just in case people like me popped up with silly comments like that?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

OrochiKiyo posted:

Ah, I hadn't realized that was AD Urakawa doing the Takeshi's Castle thing. :doh: So, uh... was that explanation pic requested by someone, or did you happen to make it just in case people like me popped up with silly comments like that?

If I remember correctly, z-g made the explanation picture the same time as she drew the main picture. So it was "just in case" :)

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I meant to preorder the DVD box, but money is rather tight this month, alas.

And the price went up from 40 to 52 in amazon.ca. Sadness.

How much was it for amazon.com?

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 4, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How did I not see this before? GCCX is the top seller in Game Show DVDs on Amazon!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/movies-tv/2959121011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_mov_1_3_last

Also this seems to have happened

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a mix of 16:9 and 4:3 episodes on the DVDs?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Going through my DVD now (the case sadly arrived warped) and I have to say this made Super Fantasy Zone for me. Specifically the headband and cooling pad combo.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Gutcruncher posted:

That's awesome to hear, especially if zari continues to do the official translations.

My copy (which is also my early birthday gift :toot:) should be here tomorrow. I seriously can't wait, especially since I plan on getting drunk while watching a couple episodes (maybe the Shiren two parter assuming it's still a two parter on the DVD) the night before/early morning of my birthday. :)

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Mister Chief posted:

I think so, it's listed as such on the box. I haven't reached any of the later episodes yet though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shock Trooper posted:

Also thanks to the team for filling in these gaps with the segments missing on the DVD episodes, it's great to see these for completionist's sake. In the Mystery of Atlantis intro, I couldn't help but notice that the first scene ended up being the picture they've been using to introduce Arino's Challenge for all these years.

They may have used it a few times but I think it's just Arino's usual dopey grin.

What I did notice about those shots, OTOH, is that they made them right outside the department store Arino went to. Sadly that department store has since been demolished.

Gutcruncher posted:

The big challenge for Discotek now is going to be getting game companies to sign off on their use of the footage. There's three or four more episode that have aired from companies that already had permission to use (Comix Zone, Night of the Sickle Weasel, Dynamite Heady) but they need to get two or three more big companies to agree to let them use footage. Nintendo (which from what I've heard is an extreme longshot but who knows if that's true anymore) or Capcom would give them a lot of episodes. Konami now owns Hudson so they could fill up a couple of disks on their own...

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Mister Chief posted:

Yes. I think there are 4 or 5 16:9 episodes, and the rest are 4:3.

jadekitten
Sep 25, 2012

Cosmic Afro posted:

I meant to preorder the DVD box, but money is rather tight this month, alas.

And the price went up from 40 to 52 in amazon.ca. Sadness.

How much was it for amazon.com?

$49.99

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Out of interest, what's availability in shops like? I'll be on holiday in the States next month, would like to pick up a copy without resorting to excruciating postage fees...

makere
Jan 14, 2012

PkerUNO posted:

Out of interest, what's availability in shops like? I'll be on holiday in the States next month, would like to pick up a copy without resorting to excruciating postage fees...

Try asking here: http://www.sunkentreasuresgames.com/

Aaron Cherney from that place wrote in tinycartridge article (the one that Ray wrote) comments that they're gonna try to stock it.

quote:

As a video game store owner, I was actually hoping to stock Discotek's release of Retro Game Master, but had a hell of a time getting a hold of anybody. Finally got a response about a week ago, so we won't be able to stock it as a new release, but we'll hopefully have distribution setup for Christmas. The packaging pictured above looks decent (I like the art they went with on the inside there!), but nothing will compare to getting a business card with every box set! xD

PS. Anyone knows if there's any subbed Game Center Arashi anime around?

makere fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 4, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Does someone have a list of the Twitter accounts of the GCCX staff?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The first page of this thread.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Huh, never scrolled that far down. I guess there is such a thing as a too informative OP, sorry for asking.

*edit: Kibe's account is either wrong or has been deleted.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lobst posted:

I've been spending a few hours in Handbrake ripping them and organizing them specifically for my dedicated GCCX external drive.
I had a hell of a time finding a version of Handbrake that would burn in the vobsubs properly. I ended up downloading the latest version of VidCoder (which is just a different front end GUI for Handbrake) and the SVN snapshot of Handbrake that it is based on worked better than any of the packaged versions of Handbrake I could find.

If you went with burned in vobsubs, double check the intro segments (Ninja Gaiden 1 is a good example) where the top of the screen says "Shinya Arino (of Yoiko)" and the bottom has the dialogue. All the versions of Handbrake that I tried did this weird thing where the top part would flash in and then disappear whenever the dialogue at the bottom changed.

If you went with just adding the vobsubs to the MKV as a subtitle track, then you probably won't have any issues, every version of Handbrake I tried could do that properly.

I also played around with OCRing the subs and got SubRip trained pretty well, but of course going that route means you lose all the positional information, and you'd have to convert it from an SRT to an rear end/SAA and then fix all the placements by hand. If anyone actually wants to do this, I can send you my SubRip matrix file and it should give you a head start on training the OCR engine.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Little note for Handbrake:

Make sure you use custom cropping and set all sides to 0. I noticed immediately on the Clock Tower episode that if you're burning in the subtitles they get cut off on the top and bottom when using the automatic crop settings.

Question: Has anyone using Handbrake made it so the 60fps gameplay footage gets preserved in the rip?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

*edit: Kibe's account is either wrong or has been deleted.

Kibe deleted his account a while back. Here's some more GCCX Twitter accounts:

@Shintamination - Former AD/AP Toujima
@YUTTY163 - Former AD Watanabe
@tanizawamune - Tanii
@gensan1023 - VE Suda
@gascoinradio - AP Ishida (this was set up to be used for the Gascoin Radio ustream special, but I think Ishida continues to use it as her personal Twitter)

Random Stranger posted:

They may have used it a few times but I think it's just Arino's usual dopey grin.

They've used it more than a few times. It's definitely the standard shot for bumper photoshops.

Here it is in more recent episodes, Takuhai-kun and River King 2.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 4, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

*quote is not edit

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

This last one makes me curious: the dictionary sez that 追っかける is to chase or pursue; it's in the passive form in that sentence, so it's something like, "I never thought I'd be followed by games like this?" (ie, through his career/life?) Obviously, that sounds weird in English, so I guess that's why the last two translations have him talking about his life "revolving around" games.

For those who don't read/speak Japanese, he doesn't ever explicitly mention himself or life in that sentence, so that should go a long ways towards explaining why good machine translation of Japanese is practically a science fictional dream.

Also: I've taken some Japanese classes, but we never really learned much about the Kansai dialect other than, "This is a thing that exists." It never occurred to me that Arino might be speaking it until I started to wonder why he kept saying "hen" where I'd expect to hear "nai" and finally looked up some of Kansai-ben's specific features.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

kimpira posted:

This last one makes me curious: the dictionary sez that 追っかける is to chase or pursue; it's in the passive form in that sentence, so it's something like, "I never thought I'd be followed by games like this?" (ie, through his career/life?) Obviously, that sounds weird in English, so I guess that's why the last two translations have him talking about his life "revolving around" games.

Yeah, a more literal translation would be "I didn't think I'd be chased by/followed by games this much," but I changed it a bit to make it sound better in English. In this case, my decision on whether to change it a bit depended on what he said beforehand. He talks about playing games at home, playing games during his break, and playing games for his job. I probably would've stuck to a more literal translation of "chased/followed around by games" if, for example, he was talking about how he finds arcade cabinets everywhere or every show he goes on makes him play games (less voluntary, as though games are chasing him). If that makes sense.

kimpira posted:

For those who don't read/speak Japanese, he doesn't ever explicitly mention himself or life in that sentence, so that should go a long ways towards explaining why good machine translation of Japanese is practically a science fictional dream.

Japanese can be an extremely vague language. The subject isn't mentioned in their sentences most of the time. Context and tone is everything. I'm glad as hell I grew up learning English and Japanese at the same time so that I can pick up on such teensy tiny little nuances. I think if I didn't know Japanese and I tried to learn it, it would drive me nuts.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 4, 2012

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I probably would've stuck to a more literal translation of "chased/followed around by games" if, for example, he was talking about how he finds arcade cabinets everywhere or every show he goes on makes him play games (less voluntary, as though games are chasing him). If that makes sense.

Totally! I find the decisions behind good idiomatic translations endlessly fascinating. Especially with Japanese, since you can pretty much never get away with just calquing a sentence and leaving it be.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

kimpira posted:

Also: I've taken some Japanese classes, but we never really learned much about the Kansai dialect other than, "This is a thing that exists." It never occurred to me that Arino might be speaking it until I started to wonder why he kept saying "hen" where I'd expect to hear "nai" and finally looked up some of Kansai-ben's specific features.

Some Hakata-ben also comes up in the show, though it can be harder to pinpoint. Abe, Urakawa and Inoue are all from Hakata. They all speak in standard Japanese, but every once in a while Abe and Urakawa use Hakata-ben, I think to play up their characters. Whereas Kansai-ben is considered a little "country," Hakata-ben -- certain usage of it, at least -- can be considered even MORE so. That's why I did this:

Arino playfully ended his sentence in really thick Hakata-ben (Fukuoka ni orudessai), so I used "y'alls" to indicate that he's using a more "southern" dialect. He does this again later in the episode.

Whenever Abe has his little segments, like the cooking with Nakayama one, he uses Hakata-ben.

When Urakawa says his famous line "May I play for one life?" it becomes his catchphrase because he says it with a touch of Hakata-ben (using yoka instead of ii). His Hakata-ben is especially pushed in the Super Mario World challenge:

You'll notice that at these parts, the staff laughs a little. It's because he uses Hakata-ben words. I tried my best to reflect that ("harsh") ("what'll it be?") but it's pretty subtle. For the second line I considered using "what's it gon' be?" which would better reflect the "sound" of the dialect, but I decided against it because he should still sound somewhat polite.

Aaaand that's my Japanese lesson for the month. Sorry for cluttering the thread. I'll stop. But for the rest of you I hope this gives you some insight into some of the staffs' character that can be so sadly lost in translation.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 4, 2012

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
You ain't clutterin', it's nice to know 'bout all these diff'rent Japanese dialects.

(i'm so sorrry)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hah, it's not clutter, it's fascinating to realize that English isn't quite as retarded as I thought it was, at least compared to Japanese sometimes. :v:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I totally get and appreciate considering what accents, levels of politeness, etc. people use and translating it dynamically, rather than making everyone sound the same in the subtitles. Even if the viewer doesn't know Japanese, I think it makes the on-screen subs resonate better with what they hear being spoken that way. Even if viewers don't know the words, they'll hear patterns in the way people speak.

Everyone else already said as much, but the SAGCCX team makes an excellent translation. I enjoy watching this show both raw and subbed, and learning more about translation from zari-gani's posts. :)

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport

How Ingratiating! posted:

I totally get and appreciate considering what accents, levels of politeness, etc. people use and translating it dynamically, rather than making everyone sound the same in the subtitles. Even if the viewer doesn't know Japanese, I think it makes the on-screen subs resonate better with what they hear being spoken that way. Even if viewers don't know the words, they'll hear patterns in the way people speak.

Everyone else already said as much, but the SAGCCX team makes an excellent translation. I enjoy watching this show both raw and subbed, and learning more about translation from zari-gani's posts. :)

Same here. I watch them raw first and do my in-brain translation, but hearing other opinions and the well-thought out reasoning behind them is interesting. Keep it up, please!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

zari-gani posted:

Aaaand that's my Japanese lesson for the month. Sorry for cluttering the thread. I'll stop. But for the rest of you I hope this gives you some insight into some of the staffs' character that can be so sadly lost in translation.

This is so the opposite of cluttering. The thread would have to be cut down to just a list of torrent links before it makes sense to skip stuff like this.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Random Stranger posted:

Discotek's DVD's are shipping so it's time for some additional support. Obviously (as Ray covered) Discotek's license only covers the challenge segments. Everything else in these episodes is unlicensed and we know how much people want to see it.

Do you have plans to produce these segments-only videos for the previously GCCX translated episodes? (ie: clock tower, sos, ninja gaiden 2, etc)

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

I am learning Japanese and I love you for what you do with the translations and the insight you provide into the language and culture, things I can't reasonably expect to grasp for years to come but can already familiarize myself with through you. I am at the stage where my listening comprehension is starting to pick up and I can make out words and parts of phrases and seeing your translation helps me immensely since it's at the same time true to the source and narrative enough to be entertaining. You couldn't possibly overestimate how appreciated your work is by me and everyone else watching the show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Continuing the saga of segments, we're up to episode 33. This time there's a fan event which is important to episode 34 and Arino's first encounter with some wily creatures that will later return with a vengeance.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 148.01 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

xamphear posted:

Do you have plans to produce these segments-only videos for the previously GCCX translated episodes? (ie: clock tower, sos, ninja gaiden 2, etc)

It's all coming. One day at a time.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Continuing the saga of segments, we're up to episode 33. This time there's a fan event which is important to episode 34 and Arino's first encounter with some wily creatures that will later return with a vengeance.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 148.01 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

The only connection I know between the Bonanza Bros episode and the Ghouls N Ghosts is the very end where they preview GNG for Arino. I reccommend watching the segments here and then rewatching the GNG episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

zari-gani posted:

In all my years of Japanese study, you are tho only Japanese person (besides my amazing teacher Tachibana Sensei) that has spoken so frankly about the language. Whenever I stumble on words/grammar and/or regional dialect, I always get a plain dictionary form told to me. I don't think anybody reading this thread thinks you are cluttering, if anything it helps a lot of us out. This is the feel good thread of the decade so far, between the show itself and all the work that goes into it. And since you actually talk about things like this, there is no need for translators notes filling the screen.

That said, translators' notes can be done right on DVDs but it takes a shitload of work. The Akira DVD did it very right, but there is a time and place for everything. This show's place for them is this thread, if you ask me. But of course, nobody did.