Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

penismightier posted:

War and Peace is weird because it has this reputation for being dense and difficult, when it's actually just a great story simply told. It's one of the most simply enjoyable and well-paced epics ever made.

AND HEY - SO IS GONE WITH THE WIND.

Nah, more like Lawrence of Arabia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have no idea how finally getting Hulu+ made going through my list slower and not faster, I'll get back on track soon. Anyway, Gone with the Wind rules and you really shouldn't skip it, and this is from someone who went into it with a lot of hesitation.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Electronico6 posted:

Lawrence of Arabia.

Another one I'm putting off.

I will watch them both, when I begin to run out of movies that I want to watch more. I'm not skipping it-- I'm delaying adding it to my list.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

escape artist posted:

Another one I'm putting off.

I think Lawrence of Arabia is hitting theaters later this year, so you might as well wait until that happens to get your face hosed in by desert beauty.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

penismightier posted:

I think Lawrence of Arabia is hitting theaters later this year, so you might as well wait until that happens to get your face hosed in by desert beauty.

October 4th. That's when I'm finally watching it and coming back to this thread.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

Hopefully it's not just "selected theaters"

edit: WTF? It's showing in California and Arizona only, as far as I can tell. I live in Florida!

escape artist fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 26, 2012

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
As someone who was made to watch Gone With The Wind for this thread, just watch friggin' Gone With The Wind. It's superbly entertaining far and above many of the other films I've seen for this thread. Length is not a good reason to avoid one of the great examples of film craft.

edit: the same goes for Lawrence Of Arabia

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 26, 2012

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

Hopefully it's not just "selected theaters"

edit: WTF? It's showing in California and Arizona only, as far as I can tell. I live in Florida!

No, this isn't right. I know it's at at least two in NYC, it'll be in Florida for sure. It's just too early to look up showtimes.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

penismightier posted:

No, this isn't right. I know it's at at least two in NYC, it'll be in Florida for sure. It's just too early to look up showtimes.

I'll be seeing it in West Springfield, Massachusetts. I'm pretty sure it's nationwide. Check your theater, Escape Artist.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
You guys are right. I found a theater about 30 minutes away showing it next week. Apparently it's digitally restored with an introduction, some interviews, and behind the scenes stuff, too.

And I will watch GWTW on one of those lonely weekends where you guys leave me movie-less because you have social lives to tend to.

Also, none of you guys are allowed to guess the screenshots from the movies that I am watching (re: the thread in GBS), because you all know what I am watching. ;)

Anyway, back on track:

BisonDollah posted:

30. Some Like It Hot (1959, Billy Wilder)
I love pretty much everything Billy Wilder has touched but yet to see this one (which is probably his most famous - hence the shame).

I just watched it a few pages back, and thought it was really enjoyable. Shows that Wilder can do more than just noir. This is a "screwball" comedy, and it stands the test of time. Happy viewing.

Just watched: La Strada
This is not a happy film. . . It was like a punch in the gut. Zampano discovers a little piece of humanity, after years of being a brute, and being responsible for the deaths of two kindly people. Makes you wonder how Rosa died. It was well-shot, intriguing and everything you would want out of a classic movie... just a strange and sad little tale. Some call this Fellini's second best after 8 1/2. Would you guys agree or disagree?

List:
Amélie - Watched some of it when I was a young teen, but never got through it. Needless to say, my tastes are much more refined now, so it's time to give it a go.

Blade Runner - I don't even know what the gently caress this is, but it is constantly referenced and almost universally lauded.

Dr. Zhivago* - The length of the movie has indefinitely postponed my viewing of it.

The Elephant Man One of the few by Lynch I haven't seen

Knife In The Water More Polankski. You may also choose Repulsion instead of this one.

*NEW*La Grande Illusion I don't even know who Renoir is. Time to change that.

Notorious - Hitchcock and Cary Grant? Yes please.

The Wild Bunch* - Not a huge fan of Westerns, but I am a huge Deadwood fan, so that's sort of paradoxical. Go figure. I'm keeping this as my Western slot, since there are at least a half a dozen classic Westerns I need to see, just because they have become such a part of the cinematic canon.

The Silence - More Bergman.

Zelig I've only seen a couple of Woody Allen films, so I think I might give him a slot on my list for a few films.

*These are still from my original, four mouth old list. Hint hint.

Un-shamed: 12 Angry Men, 8½, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, The Big Chill, Chinatown, Citizen Kane, Double Indemnity, Even Dwarfs Started Small, Fargo, The Fly, Ikiru, Koyaanisqatsi, La Strada, M, North By Northwest, Once Upon a Time in America, Peeping Tom, Ran, Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Some Like It Hot, Sunset Blvd, Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (23 films)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 26, 2012

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...

escape artist posted:

Some call this Fellini's second best after 8 1/2. Would you guys agree or disagree?

8 1/2 is pretty much a spiritual sequel to La Dolce Vita, to me they make up a coupling of Fellini's most mature and complex work.

Desiato fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 26, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Desiato posted:

8 1/2 is pretty much a spiritual sequel to La Dolce Vita, to me they make up a coupling of Fellini's most mature and complex work.

In that case, is it bad that I watched 8 1/2 first, and haven't seen La Dolce Vita yet?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Until today in this thread, I would have posted Blade Runner, but I finally got my Netflix DVD in the mail today and will be watching it tonight. Just one question: Between the theatrical and director's cuts (Both are included according to the label), which is generally regarded as the better version?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Behonkiss posted:

Until today in this thread, I would have posted Blade Runner, but I finally got my Netflix DVD in the mail today and will be watching it tonight. Just one question: Between the theatrical and director's cuts (Both are included according to the label), which is generally regarded as the better version?

Director's cut.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

escape artist posted:

Some call this Fellini's second best after 8 1/2. Would you guys agree or disagree?

I really do not care for 8 1/2, but La Strada is a masterpiece.

Also, the answer to which Blade Runner you should watch is always Director's Cut (Or Final Cut).

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Is there really any movie where you shouldn't watch the director's cut?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

escape artist posted:

Does Redux count as a director's cut?

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

escape artist posted:

A lot actually. I believe the theatrical cut of Donnie Darko is recommended. Alien is another one that doesn't benefit at all from a director's cut.

The only two that come to mind where the Director's Cut is the definite edition are Blade Runner and Brazil.

Edit: And The Wild Bunch. Watch the director's cut of The Wild Bunch.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Of course the Star Wars special editions are the most famous lovely director's cuts, but there's a lot out there - ET, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Apocalypse Now, Terminator 2, and like a million comedies with needless fat added so they can call it "unrated".

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

Of course the Star Wars special editions are the most famous lovely director's cuts, but there's a lot out there - ET, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Apocalypse Now, Terminator 2, and like a million comedies with needless fat added so they can call it "unrated".
Well I meant director's cut in its strictest sense-- the final cut of the movie as preferred by the director. I realize the term is thrown around a lot and doesn't always mean that. But yeah, you came up with some good examples there.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Does Redux count as a director's cut?

I actually was wondering about that. I don't know.

Leon/The Professional is a good director's cut, isn't it? There was another movie I saw just a few months ago where I specifically sought out the director's cut... Can't remember what it was though.

Also, someone needs to pick a movie for me, I'm not going to sleep until tomorrow morning!

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TrixRabbi posted:

Alien is another one that doesn't benefit at all from a director's cut.

Aliens also gets slowed down with the longer version. It adds a lot of interesting backstory elements but the film is weakened overall.

I think I prefer the theatrical of The Warriors too.

TrixRabbi posted:

The only two that come to mind where the Director's Cut is the definite edition are Blade Runner and Brazil.

The Abyss is one I always recommend director's cut as well.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Zogo posted:

I think I prefer the theatrical of The Warriors too.

Oh Jesus I forgot about that one, they made a mess of it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
escape artist, you need to watch Blade Runner, because you asked about neo noirs somewhere and not only is it the best neo noir, it's also the best movie. Apropos of our current discussion, watch the Final Cut, or if you must, the Director's Cut.

Enjoyed Rififi. Best heist scene I've ever seen, with a moderately good noir wrapped around it. Don't think I have much to say and if I did I'm a little too sleepy to say it with any eloquence.

I dunno what I've been doing to my list but there's a huge gap between the '60s and the '80s. Weird.

1) The Lady Vanishes (1938) - But where does she vanish to? Of Hitchcock I think I've only seen Rear Window!

2) Union Station (1950) - It has William Holden, right? So I should probably also check it out.

3) The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - How can anyone know too much?! That's ridiculous.

4) Last Year at Marienbad (1961) - I know nothing of this film.

5) Das Boot (1981) - Better watch this before I die of old age, and judging by its length, this means I have to watch it before I turn 35.

6) Nostalghia (1983) - Let's get some Tarkovsky up in this list.

7) Hard Eight (1996) - This thread gave me There Will Be Blood, which I enjoyed, so I think I'll be going through Paul Thomas Anderson chronologically, because I haven't see any of his other movies.

8) 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - I've seen... two? Romanian films and enjoyed them both, so based on statistic extrapolation, I will enjoy every Romanian film.

9) The Brothers Bloom (2008) - Brick is one of my favorite movies of all time, and Rian Johnson's next, Looper, is coming soon, so I really have no excuse for not having seen this already.

10) Waltz with Bashir (2008) - I've heard good stuff.

Deshamed: In a Lonely Place (98), The Seventh Seal (97), Full Metal Jacket (96), Seven Samurai (95), Heathers (94), Lawrence of Arabia (93), There Will Be Blood (93), Aguirre: The Wrath of God (92), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (92), Schindler's List (91), The Long Goodbye (91), Blue Velvet (90), Once Upon a Time in the West (90), 8 1/2 (89), City of God (89), Badlands (89), Videodrome (88), The Exterminating Angel (87), 99 River Street (87), Goodfellas (87), M (86), High Fidelity (86), A History of Violence (86), Rififi (84), Midnight Cowboy (84), Crimes and Misdemeanors (84), The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (84), Touch of Evil (83), The Social Network (83), The Last King of Scotland (82), City Lights (82), Slacker (82), Vertigo (81), Breakfast at Tiffany's (81), Unforgiven (81), The Man Who Fell to Earth (79), Raising Arizona (77), Boyz n the Hood (76)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

escape artist, you need to watch Blade Runner, because you asked about neo noirs somewhere and not only is it the best neo noir, it's also the best movie. Apropos of our current discussion, watch the Final Cut, or if you must, the Director's Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skhLh35Yn7c

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
TychoCelchuuu- you get Last Year at Marienbad because I loved it and was mesmerized by it when I saw it

Coming back to this thread after a long absence. I watched at least half of my old list since then so I started with a new one. The last movie I was assigned was Amadeus, which I watched a few months ago. It was a gorgeous movie in every frame and the main thing I took away from it was more of a statement on artistic genius. In that what makes artists great is also the very thing that makes the people close to them hat them. The wild impulsiveness, indulgence and self destructive qualities are the very qualities that make them brilliant. Just a great film.

My new list:

1) Island of Lost Souls- this has to be better than the Island of Dr Moreau right?
2) Carlos- everyone I know who has seen this raves about it
3) Ran- finishing up my Kurosawa
4) Paris,Texas- loved Wings of Desire so more Wenders
5) Dr Strangelove- no excuse
6) To Live and in in L.A.- this seems right up my alley
7) The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford- I like movies like this and I wanted something newer on my list
8) The Invisible Man- science fiction and horror are my two biggest gaps in movie genres
9) Manhattan- love all the Woody Allen I've seen
10) Stripes- wanted a slot for something not as serious

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

8) The Invisible Man- science fiction and horror are my two biggest gaps in movie genres

1933 version? I think this is my favorite from your list.

Two best picture winners that I enjoyed:

Ben-Hur - As I was watching the film there were a few scenes that reminded of Conan the Barbarian and also the first three episodes of Star Wars franchise.

Heston's character arc is similar to that of many you'd find in the Old Testament of the Bible. It's a classic duel and battle of wills between Judah Ben-Hur and Messala. Just like Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Anakin or Dalton vs. Wesley in Road House. I got undertones from Messala as if they were trying to paint him as an earlier incarnation of Hitler.

As I watched the film and particulary the conversations between Ben-Hur and the various Roman tribunes, governors and consuls, I was reminded that the US is basically the 21st century Roman empire. The only question remaining is for how much longer?

There's a few impressive effects. All of the people getting run over by horses, chariot flips and also Ben-Hur torching that guys face on the boat. The two iconic segments are probably the chariot race and the rowing scenes. This film also had one of the great cliffhangers for an intermission. Although I felt things slowed down after the chariot race and didn't have to go on for another hour wrapping things up.

PS Someone once told me that this was a secular movie. Clearly they were wrong as there are all kinds of biblical references throughout.

From Here to Eternity - I enjoyed this one and it was interesting to finally see another film with Donna Reed (there are a lot of stars in this one). Jack Warden is so young I didn't even recognize him. Frank Sinatra was decent as well.

The majority of the film surrounds military members and their families and the problems they create for themselves. Only when the attack begins nearly at the end of the film do these problems seem miniscule.

The crux of the film surrounds Prewitt and his unwillingness to box for a corrupt Captain. The fate of Captain Holmes stuck out and something that didn't fit with the rest of the picture. Wikipedia says that the military insisted on him ultimately being demoted and punished. Fatso Judson has to be one of the funnier names I've seen in a while. He likes to play the piano loudly and this annoys many.

The film kept me guessing and the death of Prewitt was a little surprising.

To compare it to another WWII film of 1953 (and Academy competion). I did enjoy this one considerably more than Stalag 17 which seemed uncharacteristically predictable (for a Billy Wilder film).

IMDb list:

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

#242 Rio Bravo - Another lauded western that I don't know anything about. 9/6/12

new #245 Papillon A prison movie I think. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman could make an interesting tandem. 9/27/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

new 1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

#21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, Never saw any that are on your list, but I will pick Rio Bravo

Spirited Away was amazing. Why did I wait so long to see a Miyazaki film. The story was great, the animation was breathtaking. Looking forward to seeing another Miyazaki film.

My List:
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Hey, I hear there is an election coming up. James Stewart for President!!

The King's Speech - Trying to see more recent movies.

The Kid - More Chaplin please.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - Never seen an Errol Flynn movie.

Caddyshack - This movie is referenced all the time, but I've never seen it.

Princess Mononoke - Looking forward to this film.

Throne of Blood - My next Kurosawa film.

West Side Story - I'm going to stick with musicals in this spot.

The Phantom of the Opera - Next in my monster movie queue. This is the 1925 silent movie.

Little Caesar - Sticking with Pre-Code gangster films.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
The Rapture is on a very long hold at my library, so can I get something else for now? Oh, and Dmitri, I can't resist a Miyazaki pick, so please enjoy Princess Mononoke.

While I was waiting I went on a little Charlie Kaufman kick. Being John Malkovich wasn't on my list, but it should have been, because I've been meaning to watch it for ages. I didn't really think it was all that great, though. It was always interesting, and that's more than a lot of movies can say, but a lot of its weirdness didn't seem to serve any purpose. The story was a bunch of unlikeable people taking advantage of one another for profit. That was the point, of course, but I didn't really enjoy watching their stories unfold. Many times, they seemed to hurt and betray each other for no reason other than they could, and so much of the story seemed random and pointless. I guess it was trying to make a point about accepting yourself and not being afraid of change, but it didn't really work for me.

Adaptation, on the other hand, was brilliant. I don't know how much of the story is fact, but regardless it was clearly a much more personal movie. I really got to know Charlie and all of the other characters as well, and I was rooting for them to get their collective poo poo together. The story took turns I was not expecting (especially with regards to Susan), going into melodrama and back to simple character pieces effortlessly. And Nicolas Cage gave a terrific pair of performances. Cage gets grief as an actor, and he deserves a good bit of it, but I've always liked him. With the right material or director or some combination of factors he can be amazing. The fact that he played two identical twins, yet you could always tell which was which, says it all. I knew what made both brothers tick and wanted them both to succeed. The weird meta-narrative was unusual, but served a clear purpose in showing Charlie's angst and difficulty finding out how to live his life. Finding your purpose/destiny/niche is clearly important to Kaufman based on the trilogy of his films I've recently seen, but I'd say this was the best.

Rating: Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4

61. A Streetcar Named Desire- The other big Marlon Brando. I have to remember that, unlike the Simpsons's version, this is not a musical.

63. Bonnie and Clyde- Popular culture portrays this as a light buddy comedy/ heist movie. Then, the other day I read Ebert's review, and it surprised me how dark it apparently was. Maybe it's not as shocking forty-five years later, but I'm curious.

66. Dr. Zhivago- For the historical epic slot, we move from sand to snow. Also, more WWI, this time from the Russian perspective, which I like even more.

67. Goldfinger- Another action franchise I've never seen. This is supposed to best exemplify the classic Bond movies, so I'll give it a try. I'm expecting goofy but fun. I like old Sean Connery, so let's see how young Sean Connery is.

70. Leon: The Professional- I really have no idea what this is, but apparently Gary Oldman is the villain. Sold.

ON HOLD: 72. The Rapture- 1991 movie about the dark side of an already pretty dark heresy. This sounds right up my aisle.

73. Safety Last- Silent comedy by a guy who's not Chaplin- Lloyd? Keaton? Pretty sure it's one of them.

74. 8 1/2 or La Dolce Vita- Never seen a Fellini film. I seem to recall people on this thread saying you should watch one of these before the other- which one first?

75. Tokyo Story- What is this? I have no idea what this is, but I keep seeing it on best of lists.

77. Leaving Las Vegas- Like I said, I've always liked Nick Cage, so let's see his Oscar performance.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4, The Seventh Seal: 2.5/4, Treasure of the Sierra Madre: 3.5/4, Apocalypse Now: 4/4, 2001: A Space Odyssey: 2.5/4, The Deer Hunter: 3/4, Schindler's List: 4/4, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari: 3/4, Young Frankenstein: 3.5/4, Yojimbo: 3.5/4, Brazil: 3.5/4, Hamlet: 4/4, The Aviator: 4/4, Rocky: 3.5/4, Gandhi: 3.5/4, City Lights: 4/4, Battleship Potemkin: 3.5/4, Predator: 3/4, Easy Rider: 1.5/4, Platoon: 3.5/4, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: 4/4, Get Carter: 3.5/4, Full Metal Jacket: 4/4, My Dinner with Andre: 4/4, Lethal Weapon: 3/4, 3 Women: 4/4, Ikiru: 4/4, The Maltese Falcon: 2.5/4, Midnight Cowboy: 3/4, Gattaca: 4/4, Gone with the Wind: 3/4, Jaws: 4/4, The Bicycle Thief: 3/4, Sophie's Choice: 2/4, On the Waterfront: 4/4, North by Northwest: 3.5/4, Stagecoach: 3.5/4, E.T.: 2/4, Nosferatu: 4/4, Lawrence of Arabia: 4/4, Dirty Harry: 1/4, Vertigo: 3.5/4, Rebecca: 4/4, The Pink Panther: 3/4, Children of Men: 4/4, Wings of Desire: 3/4, Metropolis: 3.5/4, Born on the Fourth of July: 4/4, The Bridge on the River Kwai: 3.5/4, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 4/4, Being John Malkovich: 3/4, Adaptation: 4/4

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Jurgan posted:

67. Goldfinger- Another action franchise I've never seen. This is supposed to best exemplify the classic Bond movies, so I'll give it a try. I'm expecting goofy but fun. I like old Sean Connery, so let's see how young Sean Connery is.

He's the man

I though that The Leopard was going to be an epic about how an old Burt Lancaster is involved in a competition(the deadly kind) with a young Alain Delon, to get the honour of getting into the pants of the extremely sexy Claudia Cardinale. Which I guess would be a pretty decent film in by itself, but instead The Leopard is actually a magnificent opulent epic, a three hour long that feels like half, on the fading of 19th century Italian aristocracy as the new political forces arise in Italy(and in Europe), though Claudia Cardinale is indeed extremely sexy. An amazing little detail, is that the idea of an old Burt Lancaster going after Claudia Cardinale is acknowledge by the film itself, towards the end during the most perfect ballroom scene, as the two dance in the midsts of looks, of things said and not said, you get that feeling that in another day, another time, another film, these two would've been involved in a very different kind of dance. The whole film is all about those precious moments, for such a lavish epic, the eyes and mind are easy attracted to the great set design and costuming, and gorgeous cinematography, but it's the subtle actor expressions, all those small nods and looks, the underlying and bitter irony in every line of dialogue and action, the way the camera moves slowly but with assurance, always lingering for a little while longer in every scene so you can take in every moment, that makes it a truly beautiful picture.

Though it's beauty is only matched by how grim and pessimist it is. Visconti being a Communist has a very a bleak outlook of a revolution and political idealism, maybe even more as he was an aristocrat, one whose family probably went through hoops and loops during those times to still have the dubious pleasure of calling themselves the Nobility. It's all familiar territory I guess, and one painted in the most terrifying way.
"Things have to change so that they can stay the same", gets repeatedly a lot through out the film and it's the centre of the films socio-political ideas, and it's interesting to note how the Prince(Burt Lancaster) comes to see the meaning of it. He sees some sort of perverse wisdom in it at the start of the film, by the end of it, he isn't sure of what exactly he accomplished, and if at all was worthy. That inner voyage gets played on a bigger scale with the revolution in the background. It lures you into a sense of idealism and change, causes worth fighting, but by the end it was all lies, and not much has changed, you are left in a daze and angry as you see these characters trying to maintain, and create, a corrupt system. A very important theme no doubt in post-war Italy, and one sadly relevant to what is going today in various European countries, Italy being one of them. A sense of lethargy, of one class just replacing another, the leopards becoming the jackals, of things changing to remain the same.

I liked it.

SHAME Part III:

:zombie:Vivre Sa Vie:zombie: Haven't been impressed with the little I seen so far from Godard.This has been here for so long, that I have changed my opinion on Godard.

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

Dancer in the Dark Lars von Trier

Late Spring The recent S&S poll reminded me that I need to check out more Yasujiro Ozu.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country This is the final voyage of the Starship Enterprise...

Rome, Open City Early Italian Neo-Realism.

The Earrings of Madame de... This one comes with high praise.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp Haven't watched a Powell&Pressburger feature in awhile.

To be or Not to Be Ernst Lubitsch comedy about them nazis.

Tokyo Drifter This looks interesting I guess

Have watched so far 30 movies: Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Fallen Angels, The Shop Around the Corner, La Strada, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Rescue Dawn, All About My Mother, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, The Long Goodbye, Vampyr, Mon Oncle, The Exterminating Angel, Jules et Jim, Sorcerer, The Darjeeling Limited, Close-up, Arsenic and Old Lace, The Host, Zelig, Koyaanisqatsi, Young Mr. Lincoln, The Last Picture Show, Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, The Killer, Anatomy of a Murder, The Trouble with Harry, Don't Look Now, L'Atalante, Cache, The Leopard.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Electronico6 posted:

Steamboat Bill, Jr. Quickly becoming a Buster Keaton convert.

Buster is brilliant, this film contains some of his most well known stunts - you should dig it a lot.

I watched Some Like It Hot, I laughed a lot but there was something about it that I felt wasn't very nice. I can't really express what that is very well - there's something about the way it captures life as a Rat Race that I just found wholly truthful & it made me sad about the human race. That may sound a bit wanky, it may just have been the mood I was in at the time - but Billy Wilder's work as a whole has always seemed to creep in & effect the inside of my head whether that be through dreams or daydreams or day-to-day worries about how terrible humanity can be. The characters were pretty despicable people & the movie was open about it - I loved that. At the same time I wasn't a big fan of the mobsters & the resolution of Monroe's character felt very thin, I was disappointed in the ending as a whole but the ride was a gas.

22. Häxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages (1922, Benjamin Christensen)
Seems a very interesting film, some creepy screen-caps have been about all I know of it's imagery but it's definitely strange to me that a film about the history of witchcraft was made at this time.

27. Rebecca (1940, Alfred Hitchcock)
Yet another Hitchcock, still got a hell of a lot to get through.

28. The Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot)
It definitely sounds different, anyway. Not seen enough foreign-language films especially from this era.

31. Rebel Without a Cause (1955, Nicolas Ray)
I haven't seen any James Dean pictures!

32. Manhattan (1979, Woody Allen)
I've been working my way through most of Woody Allen's films since last year, loving them all.

33. MASH (1970, Robert Altman)
I remember not really liking that the TV show was on Comedy Central all the time instead of Fresh Prince, then it got even worse when it was on a legit copy of my special edition Batman Begins DVD instead of Batman Begins - and it was too late to return it. But yeah, it has a lot to make up for.

34. Persona (1966, Ingmar Bergman)
I breezed through a Bergman box-set at the start of the year and would love to pull the thread a little more - enjoyed pretty much everything he's done so far.

35. Brief Encounter (1945, David Lean)
Some good old British romance, these type of movies always surprise me & I don't know if that's just because I'm so ignorant & assuming or they generally surprise everyone with a few more ingredients thrown in that you weren't expecting.

37. In the Mood For Love (2000, Kar Wai Wong)
This seems to be a modern classic I know very little of, have no expectations other than it'll be a worthy two hours spent.

38. Hausu (1977, Nobuhiko Ôbayashi)
I'll be adding horror movies through October, this is one of those films that I probably wouldn't know much about if it weren't for SA. It's supposed to be incredibly hosed up.

No More Shame:
7. Rashômon - 8/10, 3. The 39 Steps - 8/10, 9. The Killing - 9/10, 6. Citizen Kane - 8/10, 11. Godzilla - 7/10, 8. A Streetcar Named Desire - 9/10, 5. The Grapes of Wrath - 9/10, 13. The Passion of Joan of Arc - 8/10, 17. Stagecoach - 7/10, 19. Sullivan's Travels - 5/10, 12. Un Chien Andalou - 8/10, 21. It Happened One Night - 6/10, 10. Ben-Hur - 4/10, 18. The Public Enemy - 6/10, 23. La Strada - 7/10, 20. The Thin Man - 7/10, 15. Shadow of a Doubt - 8/10, 24. The Red Shoes - 8/10, 26. The Lady from Shanghai - 7/10, 14. Battleship Potemkin - 8/10, 16. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - 7/10, 2. Destiny - 7/10, 29. The 400 Blows - 8/10, 25. La Grande Illusion - 8/10, 36. Days of Heaven - 8/10. 30. Some Like It Hot - 7/10.

SHAMED FOREVER:
1. Intolerence (1916, D.W. Griffith)
4. Gone With the Wind (1939, Victor Fleming)

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I haven't been able to find the Director's Cut (or the regular one) of Blade Runner at any libraries (and I've tried 3)... can someone pick another movie for me and once I get the full Blade Runner I'll do that one, not within the rules of the game?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I picked Blade Runner so I will retract my pick and give you Notorius.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I picked Blade Runner so I will retract my pick and give you Notorius.

Thanks. No need to retract it. I will watch it as a sidebar when I can. Someone has it now and they're going to mail it to me when it is returned.

Also I was hoping you would be the one who picked a new one for me, for continuity's sake.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

I haven't been able to find the Director's Cut (or the regular one) of Blade Runner at any libraries (and I've tried 3)... can someone pick another movie for me and once I get the full Blade Runner I'll do that one, not within the rules of the game?

It might be there under the title "Final Cut." That is, if it's a question of poor labeling and not just they don't have BR period.

I think if they have Blade Runner at all, it'll be that cut whether it says it or not - the theatrical cut only ever hit DVD bundled with the director's cut.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BisonDollah posted:

28. The Wages of Fear (1953, Henri-Georges Clouzot) It definitely sounds different, anyway. Not seen enough foreign-language films especially from this era.

I like this one.

Rio Bravo - It has a few unique aspects but I've seen enough westerns that they're becoming more of a hard sell for me (same thing happened with the horror and sci-fi genre). Dean Martin (Dude) playing a drunk seems to fit pretty easily. John Wayne (Chance) likes slapping people with his rifle. Walter Brennan (Stumpy) was somewhat memorable playing his goofy character.

There were a few old John Wayne trailers on the DVD. It appears that he was in some funny films from the early 30s along with his "miracle horse Duke."

PS anyone know what guitar music is playing right as Dude walks into the bar in the beginning?

IMDb list:

#226 In the Name of the Father - Something about a trial gone awry? Has a film poster that looks similar to "The Doors" film poster. I'm getting close to finishing the IMDb top 250. Seems like I'll never do it. 9/14/12

new #238 Castle in the Sky - This will be my sixth Miyazaki film. He is one of the most popular directors on IMDb. 10/3/12

#245 Papillon A prison movie I think. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman could make an interesting tandem. 9/27/12

#246 Elite Squad: The Enemy Within - The first one was very violent and aimless. Almost nihilistic but still with a veneer of perverted justice that may appeal to an authoritarian. I just hope this one doesn't have more broom rapings. 6/16/12

Academy Award for Best Picture:

1963 Tom Jones - He has some catchy songs: She's a Lady, Sex Bomb, What's New Pussycat?, It's Not Unusual. 6/16/12

1956 Around the World in 80 Days - Always got this confused with "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" in my head. 8/31/12

1952 The Greatest Show on Earth - Seems to have star power. 9/27/12

Procrastination list:

#17 Barren Lives AKA Vidas Secas - I recommended this for someone at some point. 7/17/12

#20 Legend - I remember seeing some of this at a very young age and being terrified/mesmerized by some of the scenes. i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksk7wPX-MI4 :stare: 8/27/12

#21 Fish Tank - Never heard of it but it is on Netflix instant. 9/19/12

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Rio Bravo is interesting not just on its own merits but as a response to High Noon, both in terms of limiting it to the narrative of the two movies and in terms of what apparently happened in real life, which is that John Wayne decided that reading High Noon as a parable about the HUAC was a bunch of Commie bullshit and wanted to make Rio Bravo as a red blooded apple pie American response: do the whole "sheriff vs. the world" thing the right way/the American way, as opposed to how High Noon did it.

So says Wikipedia, at least.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Rio Bravo is interesting not just on its own merits but as a response to High Noon, both in terms of limiting it to the narrative of the two movies and in terms of what apparently happened in real life, which is that John Wayne decided that reading High Noon as a parable about the HUAC was a bunch of Commie bullshit and wanted to make Rio Bravo as a red blooded apple pie American response: do the whole "sheriff vs. the world" thing the right way/the American way, as opposed to how High Noon did it.

So says Wikipedia, at least.

I remember reading that at one point. On one hand it seems counter-intuitive. High Noon exemplified American individualism from what I recall. When I first watched it I had no idea about the allegorical undertones running through it. I also read that High Noon has been a favorite film of a few past US presidents.

OTOH, Rio Bravo's band of people who group together against another enemy could be construed as a more communistic dynamic than what was in High Noon's "army of one."

Wikipedia:

"In 1959, Wayne teamed up with director Howard Hawks to make Rio Bravo as a conservative response. Hawks explained, "I made Rio Bravo because I didn't like High Noon. Neither did Duke. I didn't think a good town marshal was going to run around town like a chicken with his head cut off asking everyone to help. And who saves him? His Quaker wife. That isn't my idea of a good Western."

Perplexing criticisms. Dean Martin's "Dude" is very incompetent and Wayne's character also needs help from others throughout the film.

Great art can be appreciated by people coming from completely different areas (or somewhat diametrically opposing ideologies).

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
El Dorado is better than Rio Bravo anyway.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

It might be there under the title "Final Cut." That is, if it's a question of poor labeling and not just they don't have BR period.

I think if they have Blade Runner at all, it'll be that cut whether it says it or not - the theatrical cut only ever hit DVD bundled with the director's cut.

I can't find either one. Some libraries don't have it at all, and some of them have a line of people who have it on a wait list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Zogo posted:

#245 Papillon A prison movie I think. Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman could make an interesting tandem. 9/27/12
This one.

Paths of Glory - 1. The battle scene was pretty bad, everyone just kept falling over for obviously no reason to the point that it was hilarious and took me out of the film. 2. a short old movie??? hallelujah

Tree of Life - 2deep4me

List:

Network - That one famous scene.

Rain Man - Sounds like a real tearjerker.

12 Angry Men - How have I not seen this yet.

The Graduate - I think I saw bits of this on tv.

The Deer Hunter - Lengthy old war movie. Eh.

Das Boot - Lengthy old german war movie. Eh.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I haven't seen a Kubrick movie I've hated yet. Time to end that streak!

Once Upon a Time in America - So many gangster movies.

Gone With The Wind - 4 hours? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuu.

Dead Poets Society - something something suicide scene.

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 4, 2012