Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CornHolio posted:

Awww, the one thing I thought it had going for it, a somewhat unique exhaust design.

gently caress you, Toyota. :mad:

In fairness, even the Maserati MC12 uses fake pipes like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Doesn't Adam Corolla drive an ISF and talk about it all the time? Haven't listened to the carcast in a while.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

AdmiralViscen posted:

a 4 liter turbo, not a 5 liter that's basically the base engine for the brand's full size car. The M3 is 51/49 weight distro, the IS-F is 54/46. i would assume this is mostly engine, but I could not find weight for the lexus engine. M3 engine is 445lb.
The M3's engine is not turbocharged. Furthermore, the displacement of an engine has little effect on the engine's weight.

A turbocharger system (if the M3 had one) definitely adds weight. The turbo, the piping, the intercooler, the larger exhaust, the additional heat shielding, it all adds up.

Engine weights are not scientific. Engines can be weighed in different configurations. With alternator or without? With power steering pump or without? Full of coolant and oil or empty?

The Lexus is lame because it has a torque converter automatic. Other than that it seems like it is pretty competitive with the M3. Something tells me the Lexus has a significantly lower total cost of ownership (cost of insurance, maintenance, repairs, depreciation) than the M3. I would rather have a CTS-V than either of them for whatever that's worth. Superior German adhesives just aren't worth much to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Peanut President posted:

In some places (Indiana) golf carts can be made legal, plates an everything. Seat belts, headlights/tail lights, signals, windshield I think are all you need.

You are correct sir. Fun fact, until a few years ago you didn't need a license to drive one on the street so a good number of people with revoked licenses were driving golf carts around. Kind of insane but if you have to get your rear end to the bar for a drink you'll do whatever it takes I guess.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think an IS-F with a stock body kit would be pretty cool. I think the IS looks pretty nice without the bulbous ground effects and cheesy exhaust.

However, I would enjoy it because it was quietly fun to get on freeway onramps and pass grandmas in camrys while cushy enough to sit in traffic or text dangerously. Not for its force field or pussy shrapnel capabilities. If I had a 65k budget for a car I would also probably not buy an IS-F over the CTS-V or like a challenger srt8 with money left for a nice exhaust or something.

In new car news: I just read the next mini will have a 3 cylinder engine. How does everyone feel about that? Makes me feel... weird.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
With a $65k budget I'd probably buy a fleet of brown '90s Corollas to pull a big red Sebring convertible around Santa Claus style.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

You are correct sir. Fun fact, until a few years ago you didn't need a license to drive one on the street so a good number of people with revoked licenses were driving golf carts around. Kind of insane but if you have to get your rear end to the bar for a drink you'll do whatever it takes I guess.

NEV (neighborhood electric vehicle) "golf cart" lanes here in California for sure. I see drunk old men driving along them in their tricked out golf carts loaded with dogs/heaters/tv's/boomboxes/kegs/stripper poles/etc. They are like bigger bike lanes.

This was actually from my phone. No booze, boring standard cart, but awesome dogs for sure.

Not getting the IS-F hate - at least Toyota is trying something, even though I'd never buy one

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 4, 2012

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

In new car news: I just read the next mini will have a 3 cylinder engine. How does everyone feel about that? Makes me feel... weird.

Do you feel... odd?

Triples in motorcycles sound pretty drat good, so at least there's that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

Not getting the IS-F hate - at least Toyota is trying something, even though I'd never buy one

I don't think anyone hates it or even thinks it's a bad car. But it's really hard to justify it over the alternatives at that price point.

Also, those various total cost of ownership calculators aren't exactly super-accurate, but based on those, it looks like insurance on the IS-F is about the same as on the M3, but depreciation and cost of maintenance are both worse, making it possibly more expensive to own, especially if you don't factor in fuel costs.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 4, 2012

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Keyser S0ze posted:

The IS-F isn't a bad car, it just isn't all that good. Like many Lexus products these days, it's a cynical copy of a product that its competitors offer. I would say it's so cynical that it's basically a parody of an M3 or (especially) a C63 AMG.

They basically said, "we have a compact luxury sedan, bet you'd like to see a fast one, right? Here, we put a BIG V8 in it...you guys like BIG V8s right? We put comically swollen fenders on it, because you like that too, right? we *downshift* gave *downshift* IT *downshift* EIGHT GEARS BECAUSE YOU LIKE MORE GEARS RIGHT? *upshift* *upshift* *upshift* *upshift*"

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

They basically said, "we have a compact luxury sedan, bet you'd like to see a fast one, right? Here, we put a BIG V8 in it...you guys like BIG V8s right? We put comically swollen fenders on it, because you like that too, right? we *downshift* gave *downshift* IT *downshift* EIGHT GEARS BECAUSE YOU LIKE MORE GEARS RIGHT? *upshift* *upshift* *upshift* *upshift*"

Kind of funny, but arguably the most popular 8-speed automatic (ZF 8HP) isn't in the Lexus IS-F. You will find it in everything from Audi's and BMW's to Ram pickups though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

I don't think anyone hates it or even thinks it's a bad car. But it's really hard to justify it over the alternatives at that price point.

Also, those various total cost of ownership calculators aren't exactly super-accurate, but based on those, it looks like insurance on the IS-F is about the same as on the M3, but depreciation and cost of maintenance are both worse, making it possibly more expensive to own, especially if you don't factor in fuel costs.

I'm guessing their real "target market" isn't people comparing E90 M3 sedans, CTS-V's, MBZ AMG, Audi S4 etc and trying to choose one, but is really a Toyota loyal IS350 owner that will bite on the upsell and wants more stomp - to at least hang with his M3/CTS-V/AMG/S4 V8 buddies.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Well the only reason the IS-F has an 8-speed auto is to cut costs by sharing drivetrain parts with the LS.

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm guessing their real "target market" isn't people comparing E90 M3 sedans, CTS-V's, MBZ AMG, Audi S4 etc and trying to choose one, but is really a Toyota loyal IS350 owner that will bite on the upsell and wants more stomp - to at least hang with his M3/CTS-V/AMG/S4 V8 buddies.

Well yeah, that's kind of worthy of mockery on its own, since Toyota loyal people are usually kind of boring and the IS hasn't had any real character or appeal past the first generation. The new round of redesigns, in particular, promises to crank up the ugly another notch with that bizarre hourglass grille and increasingly tortured surface treatments.

I mean, just look at some of the new look models coming out:

That front end is just fugly. The whole thing looks like an uglier Accord.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 4, 2012

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

MrChips posted:

The IS-F isn't a bad car, it just isn't all that good. Like many Lexus products these days, it's a cynical copy of a product that its competitors offer. I would say it's so cynical that it's basically a parody of an M3 or (especially) a C63 AMG.

And you've nailed exactly the problem with every Lexus except the hilariously overpriced LFA: they might be nice but they are so goddamn boring. I look at a Lexus on the road and I yawn. I don't care how fast it is or how much it costs, they are so goddamn boring looking.

Post a picture of a Lexus and anyone in this thread can post a significantly better looking car with similar performance numbers that costs the same or less. Any Lexus.

It's not that they are bad cars, it's that if you're looking for something actually flashy you picked the wrong goddamn car. A Lexus lets you blend in.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Lexus is the new Buick, except uglier. Even the LF-A, which is so expensive and rare as to be more of a publicity stunt than an actual car, is pretty damned ugly.

Hell, let's look at when Lexus tries to be flashy:

ewwww

Those first two are actual production models, not ugly concepts or dumb special editions. Those front ends are horrivile.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 4, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

I... kind of like this.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh, yeah......I already forgot about the newly improved GS models coming out (maybe that's their problem.) That really makes the IS-F even less attractive now.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 4, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Muffinpox posted:

I... kind of like this.

I think that one is a SEMA concept and not the production version. But it might just be a special edition, I don't know.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Oh, yeah......I already forgot about the newly improved GS models coming out (maybe that's their problem.) That really makes the IS350 F even less attractive now.

I'd rather drive the IS-F, because the body kit just looks excessive instead of totally tacky and gross.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The average Lexus really is boring as poo poo, but it at least seems like they're aware of public perception..

It looks good now, but I can see that car looking pretty dated down the line. And it'd still have the same "Yes but it's a Toyota" problem the LFA had.

I'd take a used M3 over a new IS-F, but to each their own.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
One of the guys I work with has a Dinan M3, and there's no way I'd get a Lexus over the base M3 knowing what I could do with each if I got bored with the stock variants.

He just got the thing a month ago and he's going tomorrow to possibly trade up for the Lime Rock M3.

I hate him.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
moral of the story, lexus is boring and terrible when compared to any of its competitors

How about the new Acura RDX guys

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

I think that one is a SEMA concept and not the production version. But it might just be a special edition, I don't know.

I'd rather drive the IS-F, because the body kit just looks excessive instead of totally tacky and gross.

I'd have to go pull all the dimensions and options comparing the IS/GS but I think that GS-F Sport would be poaching a few potential BMW 535 buyers, especially the 3 year lease turn-and-burn types.

I hate Vikingskull's friend too. :smith:

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Has anyone calling Lexus 'the next Buick' seen Acura's lineup lately? Downmarket, rebadged FWD poo poo from end to end. The ILX has a Civic powertrain and cloth seats.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'd have to go pull all the dimensions and options comparing the IS/GS but I think that GS-F Sport would be poaching a few potential BMW 535 buyers, especially the 3 year lease turn-and-burn types.

Dunno, it would be a first, since the GS has never sold well or successfully competed against the 5 series. Yeah, it costs the same as a 535 and makes about the same amount of power, but it's uglier. Even those lease types probably won't get it because BMW still has a different brand image than Lexus does. The assocations are M cars, motorsports, and the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline versus a bunch of hybrids and a reputation for building nice, but fat and boring cars for old people.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Keyser S0ze posted:

He has a year old 911 Turbo, too. The Dinan is his daily beater, haha.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

NOTinuyasha posted:

Has anyone calling Lexus 'the next Buick' seen Acura's lineup lately? Downmarket, rebadged FWD poo poo from end to end. The ILX has a Civic powertrain and cloth seats.

Lexus is still the next Buick. Acura is the next Mercury.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

NOTinuyasha posted:

They mean "Buick" as in the "Buick vs. Cadillac" dichotomy from the classic years of American Luxury cars. Cadillacs were flashy cars for rich folks, whereas Buicks were respectable cars for doctors and such who wanted plush, powerful, but less conspicuous nice cars.

Acura is more like 'the next Mercury.'

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cream_Filling posted:

Acura is more like 'the next Mercury.'
:smugdog:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Seems in line with what you can expect from a high hp, low weight, FWD car.

There's no tricking physics. We pretty much hit the 0-60 performance ceiling once 3000lb FWD cars got beyond 250hp.

GTI, MS3, SRT4, and now this. You are going to turn in a mid 6 sec 0-60 every time.

Breaking this barrier is probably going to take a pretty significant leap in street tire technology as well as some active suspension tricks.

The MS3 (especially first gen) usually puts in sub 6 second 0-60 numbers.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dielectric posted:

Do you feel... odd?

Triples in motorcycles sound pretty drat good, so at least there's that.

Good one. My boorish American mind just associates 3 cylinders with riding lawn mowers or Japanese scooters or something.

If it has a cool and distinct exhaust note then all the better. Especially if you can hear some turbo woosh over a sport bike rev.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, it would be a first, since the GS has never sold well or successfully competed against the 5 series. Yeah, it costs the same as a 535 and makes about the same amount of power, but it's uglier. Even those lease types probably won't get it because BMW still has a different brand image than Lexus does. The assocations are M cars, motorsports, and the "Ultimate Driving Machine" tagline versus a bunch of hybrids and a reputation for building nice, but fat and boring cars for old people.

I'm basing it off of what I get from the Bimmerfest F10 forums.....obviously, most are BMW whores like me, but many of these guys are going from MBZ to AUDI then a BMW then something else every 3 years and the GS350's are definitely on their radar.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583875&highlight=gs350

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=629034&highlight=gs350

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Triples in bikes are a much different story than triples in cars. Four cylinders in bikes sound a lot better than they do in cars, because of reasons. The Geo Metro had a 3-cyl and man let me tell you about that motor and how great it sounded

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

NOTinuyasha posted:

The AWD TL seems pretty nice to me.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nait Sirhc posted:

Triples in bikes are a much different story than triples in cars. Four cylinders in bikes sound a lot better than they do in cars, because of reasons. The Geo Metro had a 3-cyl and man let me tell you about that motor and how great it sounded

I dunno, I think BMW's new three cylinder sounds pretty good; it sounds a bit like an old air-cooled 911 to me.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Lexus makes some dull and ugly cars, but to be fair I think the CT-200h is the best looking hybrid on the road right now.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Tacier posted:

Lexus makes some dull and ugly cars, but to be fair I think the CT-200h is the best looking hybrid on the road right now.

Any car that comes in brown is pretty good. I love the brown Jetta Sportwagen.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Tacier posted:

2013 Fusion.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

MrChips posted:

I dunno, I think BMW's new three cylinder sounds pretty good; it sounds a bit like an old air-cooled 911 to me.

The turbocharged twin cylinder Fiat engine has the most adorable growl. I would buy a car with that engine for the sound alone.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Tacier posted:

Allow me to kill it for you: zero to sixty in eleven seconds. Slower then a Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

sanchez posted:

2013 Fusion.

2012 Optima w/glass roof