Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Take him to the vet and see if he's microchipped. Post a very vague ad to craigslist. That's about all you can do.

We're going to try one last house, then I'll see about getting him to the vet. Animal Control called me back to say they'll keep an ear open for any reports of missing dogs with it's description and if they don't hear anything, they'll come by later to pick it up. I said we'd be fine keeping him overnight, but we can't do it longer than that.

Edit: Any tricks in the meantime for keeping the unhappy pup occupied? We've got him in Ginny's kennel out in the backyard and he's most displeased with this.

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I stayed home sick today and all my dog has done is wander from one item of furniture to the next to sleep, huff at me for daring to share the couch and try (very lamely) to steal my food. After which he immediately went to sleep.

I think I own the laziest dog on earth.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Dear PI, is it okay if I get another foster dog if I'm gunna leave it unattended/crated for 9-11 hours a day for 2 weeks? Walk/play before and after I go to work... and in the middle, I can probably get someone to walk it but other than that, it'll be a crate life for ~18 days. Or I could probably cut some of my work hours and try for 7-8 hours away. I have no idea if they get tended to more often at the city shelter.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

wtftastic posted:

I stayed home sick today and all my dog has done is wander from one item of furniture to the next to sleep, huff at me for daring to share the couch and try (very lamely) to steal my food. After which he immediately went to sleep.

I think I own the laziest dog on earth.

This morning when I woke up and asked Psyche to come up on the bed with me, she rolled over and went back to sleep. So I went downstairs and ate some breakfast before going back up. Still sleeping. Took a shower. Still sleeping. Had to make her get up to take a walk and then I went to work so she slept all day in her crate. Apparently she didn't want to come out when my husband got home. She jumped through her hoop for a few bites of my steak during dinner and then laid down on a giant pile of blankets on the couch.

In her defense, it rained today.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Guess who managed to survive an entire year! :toot:

Yes Feldman! You're a year old you farty dog! :toot:

Oh look, a peanut butter flavored gift. Do you want it?

Ahh give it give it giveitgiveit!

Taken to his Den of Death! :black101:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
When I'm sick, Dan just stays close but only actually cuddles with me if I invite him to. Bandit and George both attempt to suffocate me. Roo and Sophie just kinda do their own thing like usual, though Roo gets a bit more clingy. She's usually in the living room but if I'm sick she'll sleep in the bedroom with me and the boys. And the cats just always lay on me as soon as I stop moving for 30 seconds so that doesn't change.

I love critter cuddles when I'm sick. Nothing makes me feel better faster. :3: Unless it is a stomach bug and they're laying on my belly, that is terrible.

Malalol posted:

Dear PI, is it okay if I get another foster dog if I'm gunna leave it unattended/crated for 9-11 hours a day for 2 weeks? Walk/play before and after I go to work... and in the middle, I can probably get someone to walk it but other than that, it'll be a crate life for ~18 days. Or I could probably cut some of my work hours and try for 7-8 hours away. I have no idea if they get tended to more often at the city shelter.

At my local shelter that would definitely be an improvement. They usually get one 20-30 minute walk on Saturday and Sunday and then maybe one or two 10-15 minute walks on the weekdays. Otherwise the only time they get out of their kennels is when a potential adopter wants to meet them. :smith:

What happens after 2 weeks?

And happy birthday Feldman! :toot:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!

2tomorrow posted:

What happens after 2 weeks?

Home alone-ish atm, folks are away til then. But I should probably just wait until they are back. But I saw the perfect dawg whyyyyyy bawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So I'm currently hating myself. My best friend is currently maybe dying in the ICU, his wife is back at work after having a baby just a few months back and his two wonderful dogs are being housed at his parent's house just a few blocks from me being broken. I cannot take the dogs to my house because my 13 year old dog hates every living creature that is not me, my mother, uncle or him and would probably die from stress at having two new dogs running around.

His parents spend most of the week at their trailer upstate and will be leaving the dogs. Obviously his wife cannot take care of a new baby and the dogs. I do not have the time to do more than feed and walk these dogs when his parents are gone. But the problem is, I am not awake during the day. I wake up sometime after 2pm and stay awake until 6 or 7am. They are close enough to my house/work that I can let them out to run and play during my lunch break except I already come to my house and do that for my dog.

Things would be so much easier if I could just bring those two to my house and care for them there, but it is in no way feasible. It kills me to know that these two are going to be going crazy missing him, being ignored or yelled at by his parents for being active healthy animals and not furniture and not getting anywhere near the exercise they need.

It kills me even more to realize that if he should actually die, those dogs will be going to a shelter because I won't be able to take them in. So ontop of all the guilt I feel for not noticing warning signs with my buddy, the potential death of his dogs is eating me up.

Sorry for E/N dump.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Malalol posted:

Plenty of dogs do that every day. It would probably be okay for 2 weeks. It would be an improvement on the life of most shelter dogs anyway and probably less stressful. Not saying that all shelters are inherently awful places, but he would be getting one-on-one attention when you're home and stuff.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
The canine genetic research group at the University of Helsinki was successful in developing a genetic test for the glycogen storage disease type II (ie. Pompe disease), which affects Finnish (FL) and Swedish Lapphunds (SL) as well as Lapponian Herders (LH) (there have been no identified cases in LHs, but the mutation was found in the population, which is no surprise due to all these breeds being closely related). They needed 250 samples (in December they had 284 LH samples, 814 FL samples and 1 SL sample) to identify the gene and to develop the test. However Healy's blood sample was one of the ones used, which resulted in me getting her result for free. Healy is homozygous normal, which is great news as she has been used for breeding twice =)

To read a bit more about the group, visit here:
http://www.koirangeenit.fi/in-english/

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

Soonmot posted:

So I'm currently hating myself. My best friend is currently maybe dying in the ICU, his wife is back at work after having a baby just a few months back and his two wonderful dogs are being housed at his parent's house just a few blocks from me being broken. I cannot take the dogs to my house because my 13 year old dog hates every living creature that is not me, my mother, uncle or him and would probably die from stress at having two new dogs running around.

His parents spend most of the week at their trailer upstate and will be leaving the dogs. Obviously his wife cannot take care of a new baby and the dogs. I do not have the time to do more than feed and walk these dogs when his parents are gone. But the problem is, I am not awake during the day. I wake up sometime after 2pm and stay awake until 6 or 7am. They are close enough to my house/work that I can let them out to run and play during my lunch break except I already come to my house and do that for my dog.

Things would be so much easier if I could just bring those two to my house and care for them there, but it is in no way feasible. It kills me to know that these two are going to be going crazy missing him, being ignored or yelled at by his parents for being active healthy animals and not furniture and not getting anywhere near the exercise they need.

It kills me even more to realize that if he should actually die, those dogs will be going to a shelter because I won't be able to take them in. So ontop of all the guilt I feel for not noticing warning signs with my buddy, the potential death of his dogs is eating me up.

Sorry for E/N dump.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through, and for your friend. I was in a similar situation not long ago regarding my grandmother's dog and cat. Thankfully we were able to finally place her dog, and he's in a much, much better situation now than he was, but for awhile those of us who actually care about animals were really stressing over his fate. Could anyone start asking around to try and find a home(s) for the dogs in case the worst happens? We were lucky--we were able to place my grandmother's dog with one of the sitters.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Riiseli posted:

Thank you for contributing to canine genetics research in your breed and being a responsible breeder. I'm glad that Healy is not a carrier. :)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Riiseli posted:

The canine genetic research group at the University of Helsinki was successful in developing a genetic test for the glycogen storage disease type II (ie. Pompe disease), which affects Finnish (FL) and Swedish Lapphunds (SL) as well as Lapponian Herders (LH) (there have been no identified cases in LHs, but the mutation was found in the population, which is no surprise due to all these breeds being closely related). They needed 250 samples (in December they had 284 LH samples, 814 FL samples and 1 SL sample) to identify the gene and to develop the test. However Healy's blood sample was one of the ones used, which resulted in me getting her result for free. Healy is homozygous normal, which is great news as she has been used for breeding twice =)

Glad Healy isn't a carrier! The institute's work sounds really cool. That's the kind of research I wish I could be doing.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

wtftastic posted:

Glad Healy isn't a carrier! The institute's work sounds really cool. That's the kind of research I wish I could be doing.
It's pretty cool no doubt. I've followed it quite a bit as they operate only a stone's throw away from "our" animal science department (well it's actually been a part of the agricultural sciences department for a couple of years now). Naturally we've been privileged to get some of the latest "scoops" from lectures by the researchers or otherwise. Just like the news from the even closer Finnish Centre for Animal Welfare travels fast. Some students from "our" nutrition branch even work on their BS and MS thesis for/within the Centre. Unfortunately this was never an option for me as I chose to focus on breeding instead of nutrition.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Riiseli posted:

It's pretty cool no doubt. I've followed it quite a bit as they operate only a stone's throw away from "our" animal science department (well it's actually been a part of the agricultural sciences department for a couple of years now). Naturally we've been privileged to get some of the latest "scoops" from lectures by the researchers or otherwise. Just like the news from the even closer Finnish Centre for Animal Welfare travels fast. Some students from "our" nutrition branch even work on their BS and MS thesis for/within the Centre. Unfortunately this was never an option for me as I chose to focus on breeding instead of nutrition.
So they're both applied stuff like behavioral, vet science, and husbandry as well as basic research/ basic science? That's a pretty cool mixture. And its nice that you get to benefit from the proximity to their research center.

Any call for analytical chemists out there? (I'm half joking because moving half way across the world from my boyfriend would probably drive me insane.)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I was bitten by a VICIOUS PIT BULL at the shelter today.

Most extensive dog bite injury I have received guys, let me tell you.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Pew! Pew! posted:

I was bitten by a VICIOUS PIT BULL at the shelter today.

Most extensive dog bite injury I have received guys, let me tell you.

That monster! :qq:

My aunts dog bit her last night. The dog is a chihuahua/JRT mix. Pretty sure her bite is worse than that :v:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The pibble was licking my hand so much that my finger hit one of his teeth so I got a scratch from it that looks like the scratches I get trying to bathe my rats.

The shelter also had two puppies that were husky/Malinois mixes too. :stare: Someone bred those. And the reason they were up for adoption was "too much to handle". No, really?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Husky/malinois sounds like one of those mixes that would make me curl up crying in a corner forever.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...

Pew! Pew! posted:

The shelter also had two puppies that were husky/Malinois mixes too. :stare: Someone bred those. And the reason they were up for adoption was "too much to handle". No, really?

Were they trying to go for faux wolves?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

Husky/malinois sounds like one of those mixes that would make me curl up crying in a corner forever.

It has a drive to both please and annoy/ignore you!

Also wants to run forever, bite all the things, hate all the strangers, etc.

Can't imagine why no one wanted that dog.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Pew! Pew! posted:

The pibble was licking my hand so much that my finger hit one of his teeth so I got a scratch from it that looks like the scratches I get trying to bathe my rats.

I've met a Husky / Malinois mix, and the dog was awesome. LOADS of energy, but really really cool. Decent looking too.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

wtftastic posted:

It has a drive to both please and annoy/ignore you!

Also wants to run forever, bite all the things, hate all the strangers, etc.

Can't imagine why no one wanted that dog.

http://www.designermixes.org/breed_info/907/belusky.aspx
Well, according to this extremely credible site, you are wrong. Beluskies are friendly, trainable, and loyal. Move over goldens/labs, beluskies are taking over the spot for #1 family pet!

:sigh:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

cryingscarf posted:

http://www.designermixes.org/breed_info/907/belusky.aspx
Well, according to this extremely credible site, you are wrong. Beluskies are friendly, trainable, and loyal. Move over goldens/labs, beluskies are taking over the spot for #1 family pet!

:sigh:

Isn't that the description of every designer dog ever?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

A dog that could end up being an intensely neurotic, high drive, biting mess that doesn't ever listen and sheds all day every day and which you can't even let off lead to exercise? Sign me the hell up!!

That website claims all they really need is an hour long walk, lmao

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Every dog just needs an hour long walk to solve all it's problems. That and you gotta alpha roll it and/or pee on it. :colbert:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah they were gorgeous but I don't want a dog that can outsmart me in about 10 different ways. Also, you could hear them howling from a completely separate part of the shelter. Wish I had gotten pictures, though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I am the keymaster. Are you the gatekeeper?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

A Bernese Mountain Dog peed on me at the dog park tonight :saddowns:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

adventure in the sandbox posted:

A Bernese Mountain Dog peed on me at the dog park tonight :saddowns:

Oh gently caress you don't smell alpha anymore.

Either that or you need to move around more.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"Ugh. God. What?"

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I think Fionna is settling in nicely. :3:

Getting puppy pictures is hard. This was the least blurry one I could get while she was awake.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Azrael Alexander posted:

Getting puppy pictures is hard. This was the least blurry one I could get while she was awake.

She's adorable! I love the tongue hanging out in the first picture :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Azrael Alexander posted:

Jesus cute overload.
More pictures! Please :)
So cute Must have more cute.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
What dat dawgs background, what lines made a bunch of deaf puppies, I want to know dis

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Welcome to Stupid and Infuriating Thing of the Day, here is your stupid and infuriating thing.

A dumbass 19 year old girl is being told by her boyfriend's mom that she's not allowed to have the dog she rescued spayed because the bitch is pregnant and the boyfriend's family "doesn't believe in abortion."
Link.

I hope that dog is seized from those morons and placed with someone who's capable of not anthropomorphizing and applying their stupid human moral system on an animal incapable of rational human thought.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Our female cat (yet unnamed) is already best buds with Fionna, but our male, who is usually the chillest dude on the planet, is terrified of her. He's been sleeping in the basement ever since she arrived. :( I feel bad for him, but he's being a goober. In other news, Fionna is doing amazingly well for only living here since last night. She slept the entire night with very little disturbances, she's confident about her surroundings and it seems like she's settled in just fine. She's hesitant to go for walks, though. And she's already learned to sit via signing. She's awesome. :3:

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 4, 2012

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I am posting from the afterlife because the pink butterfly nose has killed me dead. Do you boop it and make piggy noises? Because that is all I would do all day long. You're in NE OH right? If you ever need someone to come over and squish that puppy you know who to call (it's me).

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle

She has a chinchilla silhouette on her nose :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ToastFaceKillah posted:

She has a chinchilla silhouette on her nose :swoon:

Oh my god, I didn't even notice that. That dog you guys. My god. What a cutie pie! :3:

Wanna boop that nose SO BAD.

Edit: Will trade you that dog for Feldman. It's a good deal.

• Locked thread