Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm saying every variety show I've watched uses a ton of American pro wrestling theme songs in it, so I'm wondering if Korea is crazy for American pro wrestling. Do you guys watch WWE over there and be like "gently caress YEAH I LOVE THE UNDERTAKER!" and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
The kids at my girlfriend's school love it and Boston Crab each other the way we used to when we were young, and it (WWE at least) was broadcast nearly every night on TV. They had their own Korean announcers dubbed over Cole, Booker, King and co. (but no Korean announce table ringside...), but left the wrestlers to speak for themselves, subtitled. There was no Puroresu, which i guess i can understand why, but still it was a little disappointing. There was also no evidence of a local product that i could see, but don't take the word of a tourist as gospel on that.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.
Wrasslin.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

Jamesman posted:

That's not really what I'm talking about. I'm saying every variety show I've watched uses a ton of American pro wrestling theme songs in it, so I'm wondering if Korea is crazy for American pro wrestling. Do you guys watch WWE over there and be like "gently caress YEAH I LOVE THE UNDERTAKER!" and stuff?

Dunno about the current generation of kids, but I know for my generation, WWE/American wrestling is more of a curiosity, or something we used to watch when we were kids but no longer follow. I can't think of a single public broadcast channel that shows WWE (maaaaybe the cable sports channels), and it's been a while since I saw it talked about on TV (minus the IC project).

I think it might have been bigger in the slightly older generation, when there weren't that many things to watch on TV as kids/not as many things being produced for kids entertainment or something.

Of course, this is all personal, so what I feel may be different from what others think.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
CCM marketing Boram's eating disorder is unspeakably vile.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

TEHJOE posted:

CCM marketing Boram's eating disorder is unspeakably vile.

What's this now?

Still loving the new WGM couples. I never heard of Yoon Se-Ah before, but I'm falling in love with her here. She's adorable and feisty and her English is so cute. Julien Kang is pretty loving great too, and I find it especially hilarious how he's teaching Se-Ah all this outdated English slang and stuff ("I'm a bad mammajamma!") and how easily she picks it up.

Kwanghee and Sunhwa are just a couple of delightful idiots, and that is just always good television. The whole segment with them pretending the bouncy horses were each other's parents was like some sort of fever dream, with a perfect ending.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/10/08/121008fa_fact_seabrook?currentPage=all figured this might be of interest to you guys?

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

SNSD is always interesting. :allears: Japanese comeback in oct, hopefully the Korean comeback is soon too, I want to see them on TV again.

Selane
May 19, 2006

From Psy's concert at Seoul Plaza:

:stare:

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Psy is literally K from Dream High and it's loving great

Charmmi posted:

So many Ga-In teasers. I can't wait.

Yeah the last one was the best one, really looking forward to it, freaking love her

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah. Apparently, 80,000 people showed up at the free concert held for fans as a thank you for the success he's been enjoying. The City of Seoul closed off roads and even extended the subway hours later into the night for this.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Psy seems to be a rare internet superstar to handle it super well, he just shows up, does his thing and enjoys the praise, then he does poo poo like the free concert (which I think was also streamed) to say thanks. Good for you, funny dancing man, good for you.

Also this thread has me banging through so many Korean shows on Hulu.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008

Jamesman posted:

What's this now?

Following the T-ara scandal Boram lost a dangerous amount of weight.This created some minor media play concerning her health and well being. Newsen/CCM were quick with a sympathy play.

Check out these recent airport fashion photos She clearly needs help but they have her play dress up for media play.

Kind of mixed on the New Yorker article. I am extremely happy to see KPOP in mainstream US media but the article itself is somewhat halfassed.

The author seems uninterested in his subject.He bounces from being a fan to being completely unaware and somewhat creepy. Almost the entire history portion is lifted straight from Mark Russel's "Pop goes Korea". The interviews are fruitless and the analysis completely overlooks the simple fun of KPOP.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo CCM, this is why no one takes your groups seriously. That company is like descending into evil corporation cartoon villainy.

I blame the interview questions on SM rather than the reporter, there is no way in hell SM will let anything close to being controversial even touch SNSD.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I caught the latest T-ara Sexy Love video the other day and the symbolism just kicks you in the head.

The video starts with the group in boxes, like dolls. But wait, there seem to be a single space empty! Whatever could that mean?

Oh look, here's a man with another box to fill the space.

There, slots nicely into place. Like there was never a gap at all.

Hmmm, I wonder what it could all mean :shrug:

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Charmmi posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K64mb5KUhhs

I'm usually really negative about k-pop in general, but this song is pretty good. I'm a sucker for funk guitars, though.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Aaaaand it's already banned.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Charmmi posted:

Aaaaand it's already banned.

It came out rated 19+ and she refused to change it, it was always going to be banned. She's loving awesome.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

amaranthine posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K64mb5KUhhs

I'm usually really negative about k-pop in general, but this song is pretty good. I'm a sucker for funk guitars, though.

I'm a sucker for really hot women. :v: All of BEG are awesome, they give no fucks and show it. I wish they would go on TV more, so I can oogle them.

Rinseh
Jul 25, 2011

Do I have to do everything, he asked intending to be facetious?
:aaaaa: That video :aaaaa:

She looks amazing

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

:laffo: at the outrage that video will create.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Ga-In and BEG are awesome!

What does it mean for a korean song/MV to be banned? They can't show it on tv, but they can watch it on the Internet? Can they sell it in any store in Korea?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I really thought the 'S' in her album title stood for sandwiches. But now I'm not so sure...

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Merope posted:

Ga-In and BEG are awesome!

What does it mean for a korean song/MV to be banned? They can't show it on tv, but they can watch it on the Internet? Can they sell it in any store in Korea?

Normally, when a song/MV is banned, it's banned from broadcast TV in general in Korea. But I believe there are laws in the works to ban it from being uploaded to the internet on the record labels' channel also.

That or I'm completely crazy and I dreamt all this up.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
^^ Hope you did, it sounds bad.

How did I not know about BoA before! Girl is amazing, she's in a totally different league than the other k-pop girls.

Also, here's a random T.O.P & Se7en video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Be9vlrY_cE

Merope fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 7, 2012

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Was Jiyeon really as popular as Heroes suggests? I never seem to read anything about her at all beyond the suggestion that she is spoiled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I just read the last couple of pages and I'm really a neophyte of this Korean music thing (I just picked up a 2pm album, which is insanely catchy, and Lessang) but I'm really curious to hear what this is about.

From the youtube comments for that Gain video linked before:

quote:

Remove all the impurities and bring us back the pure kpop genre.
supersyeera2702 3 minutes ago

quote:

and why isn't this banned in korea yet? i mean OMG there is some stuff that i would not expect to see in kpop music videos.... i mean they banned TVXQ Mirotic for "under my skin" and this is still airing? what the hell is going on....
TheCrazyvampgrl9

Are things that strait-laced in Korea? From what I've seen of their music videos, sexuality seems to be part and parcel of their manufactured pop stars. Because this video actually makes that overt means it gets banned? I think the other way around, relying on sex to sell while loudly exclaiming its non-existence is much more creepier, wrong, and un-wholesome.

Is the Korean main-stream music scene that 50s-like?

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
Well those aren't Korean people you've quoted. And it's youtube comments. And they are probably by 12 year olds negotiating themselves through the "appropriate" way to being a k-pop fan (welcome to sharing fandom with the early adolescence set!), parroting the same headlong, inane, misinformed, often harmful, and even more often dumb as poo poo bandwagony comments.

But it's not without base. There is a government department in S. Korea called the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism who have a hand in the music industry and what is deemed appropriate for general consumption. They are the ones who set the line, blurry as it is, rate things age appropriate, and ask for changes in content, choreography, etc. They have sometimes also withdrawn videos from television. It is a little backward, yes, but it is a government body (with roots stretching back to the First Republic) and should not be a measure of popular thought. Even though it influences it.

A lot of people say they like K-pop, or have turned to K-pop, because of its innocence. A popular thing to say if you're a moron or someone not yet enough aware of sexuality is that it is wholesome, even as far as sexless, and therefore they can like it compared to hypersexualised Western (read USA, maybe British) pop music. This extends to people's views of Korea and Koreans outside of K-pop, and lets them say broadly how Koreans are, how they themselves fit nicely into this vestal entertainment paradise, and tow this party line of how K-pop is a defined thing; how it should and should always be. Again, most of these people are 12 year olds, or the ever 12 years old.

This more complex than i've written about, obviously, and somone else could probably give you a better answer. Just basically don't listen to youtube comments. And when you come across them, don't listen to Netizens.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I really like "Innocent man". Theres so much running man references to kwangsoo.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

El Graplurado posted:

Well those aren't Korean people you've quoted. And it's youtube comments. And they are probably by 12 year olds negotiating themselves through the "appropriate" way to being a k-pop fan (welcome to sharing fandom with the early adolescence set!), parroting the same headlong, inane, misinformed, often harmful, and even more often dumb as poo poo bandwagony comments.

But it's not without base. There is a government department in S. Korea called the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism who have a hand in the music industry and what is deemed appropriate for general consumption. They are the ones who set the line, blurry as it is, rate things age appropriate, and ask for changes in content, choreography, etc. They have sometimes also withdrawn videos from television. It is a little backward, yes, but it is a government body (with roots stretching back to the First Republic) and should not be a measure of popular thought. Even though it influences it.

A lot of people say they like K-pop, or have turned to K-pop, because of its innocence. A popular thing to say if you're a moron or someone not yet enough aware of sexuality is that it is wholesome, even as far as sexless, and therefore they can like it compared to hypersexualised Western (read USA, maybe British) pop music. This extends to people's views of Korea and Koreans outside of K-pop, and lets them say broadly how Koreans are, how they themselves fit nicely into this vestal entertainment paradise, and tow this party line of how K-pop is a defined thing; how it should and should always be. Again, most of these people are 12 year olds, or the ever 12 years old.

This more complex than i've written about, obviously, and somone else could probably give you a better answer. Just basically don't listen to youtube comments. And when you come across them, don't listen to Netizens.

I mostly agree with this. Korea as a whole is certainly more conservative than America (esp. the older generation), and while the government regulations are based on the general thought (of older people, of course, since they are the policymakers), the general audience of Kpop would not feel that way. A lot of the concerns stem from the fact that the music programs (MusicCore/Musicbank/Ingikayo) air on times when a lot of children watch TV, so if you have things as blatant as Troublemaker, people start worrying.

It's the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family that does the rating things, however. Though you are correct in the Ministry of Culture is the one that promotes Kpop.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

It's the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family that does the rating things, however. Though you are correct in the Ministry of Culture is the one that promotes Kpop.

Oops. Getting my ministries mixed up. Thanks for the correction.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thanks for the in-depth answers. This is pretty fascinating stuff.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

Nexal posted:

I really like "Innocent man". Theres so much running man references to kwangsoo.

Kwang Soo acting like Kwang Soo in a drama is fantastic. The show's pretty good on its own too though; Everything's much more straightforward than usual and if there are secrets and deceptions, they're revealed, you know, not in the last 2 episodes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I bought 2NE1's albums, and they all finished arriving today. Holy poo poo, they're loaded.

6-7 songs are a "mini album." I've bought American albums where that's been considered enough for a full album. The packaging is amazing too, with tons of high-quality pictures and full lyrics for every song. I can't remember the last time I bought a US album that had lyrics in it. The 2nd mini album is filled with a few dozen art cards by Mari Kim. The full album is like a book and it's heavy as poo poo.

I'm very impressed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I found a stack of Super Junior's Mr Simple album in the 2nd hand vinyl pile in a record store today. I've never seen kpop anywhere here, and it was our equivalent of $1 so I picked one up. Despite the vinyl size, it's a CD with a load of posters inside. Will probably never listen to it, and the posters certainly won't be going up, but fun to buy anyway.

edit: Just saw a clip of Infinity Challenge in Alaska, and to me it looks like HaHa is wearing gloves with marijuana leaves stitched in them. I know he's a bit Bob Marley fan so seems natural, but wouldn't that kind of thing be frowned upon by the TV station?

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 10, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

The pHo posted:

I found a stack of Super Junior's Mr Simple album in the 2nd hand vinyl pile in a record store today. I've never seen kpop anywhere here, and it was our equivalent of $1 so I picked one up. Despite the vinyl size, it's a CD with a load of posters inside. Will probably never listen to it, and the posters certainly won't be going up, but fun to buy anyway.

edit: Just saw a clip of Infinity Challenge in Alaska, and to me it looks like HaHa is wearing gloves with marijuana leaves stitched in them. I know he's a bit Bob Marley fan so seems natural, but wouldn't that kind of thing be frowned upon by the TV station?

Bahahahahaha nice catch

But no, drugs as a whole aren't that big of a problem in Korea compared to, say, the US. If you ask a Korean dude what 4/20 means, chances are, he won't know. I'm pretty sure most teenagers have not even had the chance to touch weed, let alone hard drugs. You sometimes have celebs being caught for doing weed at worst, and they usually end up getting it from abroad/from foreigners. So chances are, no one really caught that when it aired.

Maybe they thought they were maple leaves :v:

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Homeplus was selling jackets with a big pot leaf and the text "pot growers" on the back last year. A few of the kids I teach wore them.

They're like 12 and dont know what it means, but neither does anyone else. It's just not even on the radar here.

Edit: they say they got it from foreigners...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
So what do Koreans do for drugs? It can't just be cigarettes and alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
4/20 eat kimchi every day.

• Locked thread