Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Duck fat and rosemary popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I use it from time to time to lard up chicken I'm roasting. It gives it just a slightly better aroma and a bit of meaty taste - just make a paste of it with salt and pepper and herbs and garlic and slather it on. (then add more salt)

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

I ended up getting a blender at Goodwill for 10 dollars. Smoothie-ville, here I come!

Does anyone use a chef's torch for anything other than creme brulee? Does anyone have recommendations for a good, cheap torch? They seem to be around $30, but that seems a little expensive for just one dessert.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pigasus posted:

I ended up getting a blender at Goodwill for 10 dollars. Smoothie-ville, here I come!

Does anyone use a chef's torch for anything other than creme brulee? Does anyone have recommendations for a good, cheap torch? They seem to be around $30, but that seems a little expensive for just one dessert.

Go to Home Depot and get a Bernzomatic with a propane canister. Will cost you the same as a "chef's torch" but provide more heat, plus you can use it to sweat in plumbing joints.

I've used mine to sear meats before cooking sous vide (although it doesn't work as well as a hot pan). Most recently I used it to melt the cheese on some cheesesteaks because I forgot to put the cheese on until I already had the meat in the bun.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Don't forget melting the cheese on french onion soup.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thirding the brenzomatic or whatever the hell it's called.

when I was a mischievous youngster, there was an abandoned house in my best friend's neighborhood - like it looked like the family had just loving up and left or something, really spooky - and the house was absolutely trashed. like imagine if you opened every closet in every room and dumped the contents out all over the floor, and clothes strewn everywhere. my friend and I had a kind of hobby of lockpicking and going into places we weren't supposed to be, so we naturally wanted to explore this spooky grafitti'd house with poo poo all over the place.

we found a lot of cool stuff and I could write a whole GBS thread about it actually, but anyways, so in their basement there was a brenzomatic torch, and I thought it was really cool. I took it (the only thing we took actually), and still use it to this day in cooking applications.

hehe. COOL STORY BRO

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I actually bought a Benzomatic fairly recently. They're more like $20, so definitely cheaper than whatever puny butane torch they sell at Williams Sonoma. Make sure you get the one that is regular propane (blue tank from the Benzomatic brand, IIRC), as they also sell one that's mixed with other stuff so it burns hotter or something and I have no idea if that puts off non-foodsafe fumes.

I don't use it for everything, though, as I am a wimp and it is heavy, loud, and scary. So that's the main benefit of the small torches. I've heard they caramelize sugar slowly, though, which is problematic, as the slower the sugar caramelizes, the more likely you will overheat the custard underneath.

Also, while this isn't a kitchen tool recommendation, try practicing the carmelizing technique with bananas cut in half lengthwise and covered in sugar. The turbinado/sugar in the raw stuff seems to work better, but granulated sugar works great, too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I tried the blue canister benzomatic to sear meat and it doesn't do a great job. A ripping hot cast iron is much much much much better.

The torch is probably good for things that don't lay flat.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Chemmy posted:

I tried the blue canister benzomatic to sear meat and it doesn't do a great job. A ripping hot cast iron is much much much much better.

The torch is probably good for things that don't lay flat.
I suppose if you're really hell-bent-for-leather you could try using MAPP gas (or a MAPP substitute) instead of the propane; it's right next to the propane torches in the yellow cylinder.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nmfree posted:

I suppose if you're really hell-bent-for-leather you could try using MAPP gas (or a MAPP substitute) instead of the propane; it's right next to the propane torches in the yellow cylinder.

wait a second... my cylinder is yellow.....

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah MAPP is what I want to try for searing after sous vide, Modernist Cuisine recommends it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tgxzXmpKQ

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a MAPP gas tank too and used to use it but someone told me it wasn't food safe. I really have no idea though. If Modernist recommends it, maybe they know it's safe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a MAPP gas tank too and used to use it but someone told me it wasn't food safe. I really have no idea though. If Modernist recommends it, maybe they know it's safe.

http://www.bernzomatic.com/Portals/8/Resources/msdsSheets/eng-Mapp_Gas_MSDS_2008.pdf

There's a "possibly carcinogenic according to California" warning but that applies to almost everything these days, and everyone ignores it.

Seems safe.

MAPP gas seems to be in the middle of being replaced with MAP/Pro

http://www.bernzomatic.com/Portals/8/Resources/2011-MSDS/Eng-MPPro-12-8-11.pdf

It seems like both are fine as long as the fuel is being burned thoroughly.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 5, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have 3 things on my to-buy list: A coffee grinder, a crock pot, and a rice cooker.
I don't want to break the budget on them, but I want to buy them on amazon because I do not drive a car and nowhere that would have a good deal on them sells them.

Are there any "always avoid" brands of any of these? What's the difference between a "(cooked) rice cooker" and an "(uncooked) rice cooker". Can the former only... cook cooked rice? how the hell does that make any sense, there's so many prices and names and I'm scared and confused :stare:

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I have 3 things on my to-buy list: A coffee grinder, a crock pot, and a rice cooker.
I don't want to break the budget on them, but I want to buy them on amazon because I do not drive a car and nowhere that would have a good deal on them sells them.

Are there any "always avoid" brands of any of these? What's the difference between a "(cooked) rice cooker" and an "(uncooked) rice cooker". Can the former only... cook cooked rice? how the hell does that make any sense, there's so many prices and names and I'm scared and confused :stare:

Hm. The go-to grinder is the Baratza Maestro, getting a refurbished one is the way to go. If that's too difficult for you, I've had one of these and after 7 years of weekend coffee, it is still going strong. The reviews are true though, it's got a bit of static+powder to it... but for the price, it's hard to get something better.

For crock pots I have enjoy using the one I have, but YMMV. Again, for the price - hard to go wrong.

The defacto rice cooker is the Zojirushi brand. The cooked/uncooked is referring to capacity since, for a while, it wasn't clear whether a manufacturer was referring to the amount of cooked rice a cooker would give you, or if it was the amount of uncooked rice it could cook. Zojirushi cookers like this one are known to last forever and give the best results, especially those with fuzzy logic (which are more expensive than this one). If this one is outside of your price range, I suggest scouring kijiji/craigslist to find a used model that you can afford.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thanks. Though 133 is a little over my price range... I was looking for 20-40 at most. I never heard of kijiji, might check that.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It's food safe. We use one at work. Ours is Map/Pro though, but the old MAPP is fine too.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I've said it before, but buying the Fagor or Cuisinart electric pressure cooker is a much better buy than getting 3 different appliances. It has a setting to sautee onions, a pressure cooker setting, a rice cooker setting, AND a slow cooker setting.

http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G

I bought that one a year ago for the restaurant to use in hummus emergencies, and it's been going strong. It's solidly built, and does the job very well.

The (cooked) refers to how much cooked rice you end up with. The (uncooked) refers to how many cups of uncooked rice it can take.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I really wish I'd known about that cooker a year ago. I went on a buying spree and now I have no room for anything.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

feelz good man posted:

I'll add these.

They're old General Electric ice cube trays. If you look hard enough in antique stores or at Goodwill you can find one or two. It might seem really simple but it's a genious product and it beats the hell out of banging and wrenching ice cube trays to get ice out. You just pull the handle. Plus they're aluminum, so they don't get stained and disgusting looking if you freeze stock or other things in them.

Anyone still want one of these? I happened across one at the thrift store today and figured that while I have no use for it, someone here might. I got it for $3 and I'll send it to whoever asks first for that plus shipping (five bucks? I don't know). Just PM me so we aren't cluttering up this thread.

Edit: It's been taken

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 10, 2012

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Any recs of cooking books? I did a quick forums search and found these two books from this thread

http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Geeks-Science-Great-Hacks/dp/0596805888/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315929045&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Cooking-Science-Lore-Kitchen/dp/0684800012/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315929155&sr=1-1

and other "classics"/must reads?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

I personally really like The New Best Recipe by the Cook's Illustrated people. It's gigantic (>1000 pages) and covers a lot of ground, culinarily-speaking. The recipes themselves are not always perfect (they tend to come out a little bland, as a rule), but they provide a good starting point for a wide variety of dishes. More than the recipes, though, I really appreciate Cook's Illustrated rigorous methodology and reading about how they come up with their recipes. Even if I don't take all their results verbatim, its always interesting and insightful reading about how they came to them.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/0977080420
Alternative Vegan, by Dino Sarma is a perennial recommendation around here because it is a wonderful teaching tool for people new to vegan/indian food. It has a narrative approach which gives you a good sense of how the recipe "works" and which ingredients you can experiment with. Another, minor reason for its popularity is that Dino is a beloved GWS regular, but I wouldn't recommend his book if it sucked. I'm a devoted meat eater and clueless about non-european cuisine and I love this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Cooking-7...=joy+of+cooking

The Joy of Cooking will not teach you anything cutting edge, but if you want tried and tested recipes for the basics, it can't be beat. Especially for baking. I pull it out every time I need to make pancakes or biscuits or pie.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Thanks. Though 133 is a little over my price range... I was looking for 20-40 at most. I never heard of kijiji, might check that.

I have this rice cooker, and it has been amazing: http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-ARC-101...oma+rice+cooker

20 cups is obviously pretty huge, but I cook for a pretty hefty number of people occasionally. Overall, the brand has treated me really well, so I would recommend it if all you are looking for is a "Press button, cook rice" machine without all the bells and whistles. Rice turns out great every time.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Mark Bittman is pretty good, and pretty comprehensive:
http://www.amazon.com/Cook-Everythi...ng+mark+bittman

His recipes also come out a little bland if you do them exactly as written, but they mostly work. I found Bittman much more appealing than the Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen cooking for fascists style.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I can't recommend getting "too many" bowls for holding chopped ingredients. I only have a few and I find myself trying to carefully mould mounds of chopped vegetables constantly as my bowls go from ~2 cups to gallon-sized mixing bowls. A starting cook really should have a bunch of the cheapest plastic bowls from Goodwill just to hold cut ingredients.

Also, I don't think I saw it, but the small Pyrex bowls that hold about a cup of stuff are REALLY useful, not just for holding cut ingredients, but also if anything needs to be microwaved to soften/melt/heat something quickly.

Also a meat tenderizer may not seem like a high priority item, but when you find yourself smacking chicken breasts thin with a wine bottle because it's the heaviest non-edged thing you own, you might reconsider. I don't imagine pounding meat is that rare, is it?

I'm seconding Armoa cookers as well. I have this one

http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-ARC-838...oma+rice+cooker

The best part I like about it, besides the fact that it makes rice drat well, is that when it's done it beeps extremly loudly 8 times in a row. I usually miss alarms and beeps unless I'm listening for them, but I can be a few rooms away doing whatever and I cannot miss this alarm. I've had rice stay good overnight with it set to Warm with no problems (it got dry after 12 hours but hey).

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Saint Darwin posted:

Also a meat tenderizer may not seem like a high priority item, but when you find yourself smacking chicken breasts thin with a wine bottle because it's the heaviest non-edged thing you own, you might reconsider. I don't imagine pounding meat is that rare, is it?

Just putting meat meat between two sheets of plastic film and hitting it with your fist works fine too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Would a skillet work as well?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Steve Yun posted:

I tried a skillet actually, the problem is the blow is diffused by the surface of the meat so in order to really pound an area, well, you have to slam that thing harder than is really safe, in my opinion.

The thing with the tenderizers is that they have a large enough surface area that it doesn't split the meat, but are weighted and small enough that you can really slam an area without having to go nuts.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use an empty wine bottle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

dino. posted:

I've said it before, but buying the Fagor or Cuisinart electric pressure cooker is a much better buy than getting 3 different appliances. It has a setting to sautee onions, a pressure cooker setting, a rice cooker setting, AND a slow cooker setting.

Thanks for mentioning them, I didn't know they even existed. Well those brands don't in Australia but someone called "new wave" sells a similar 5 in 1 multi cooker here.

To all those using MAPP in the kitchen, I'm surprised. I'm in HVAC and use it a lot. The stuff stinks, I can't believe anyone would use it on food.
Also there was a safety recall here in the beginning of the year as the cylinders sometimes leak.
MAPP gas is severely toxic, as it contains methylacetylene, one breath of that causes instant lose of consciousness and death shortly after. Not because of asphyxiation, but methyl acetylene will shut down your nervous system.
If propane isn't hot enough I'd switch to MAPP Pro as that doesn't have methyl acetylene.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 10, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fo3 posted:

MAPP gas is severely toxic, as it contains methylacetylene, one breath of that causes instant lose of consciousness and death shortly after. Not because of asphyxiation, but methyl acetylene will shut down your nervous system.
If propane isn't hot enough I'd switch to MAPP Pro as that doesn't have methyl acetylene.
That sounds pretty scary (I'm amazed that anyone would even be willing to work with stuff like that!), but according to wikipedia, stuff currently sold as "MAPP" in the US is actually a substitute, so hopefully this is what people are using.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 10, 2012

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get a rubber mallet from Home Depot or Harbor Freight for a great chicken breast flattener. If you really want to flatten them get a big dead blow hammer. :)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

I use a 6in skillet. Works just as well as a mallet.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Before I bite this bullet, is this the best bet for a kitchenaid mixer these days?:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP...rofessional+600

EDIT: reasoning being the metal gearboxes on the professional series are more desirably/longer lasting. Is there a general opinion on head tilt vs bowl lift?

The Third Man fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 10, 2012

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Third Man posted:

Before I bite this bullet, is this the best bet for a kitchenaid mixer these days?:

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KP...rofessional+600

EDIT: reasoning being the metal gearboxes on the professional series are more desirably/longer lasting. Is there a general opinion on head tilt vs bowl lift?

I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that lift bowl is superior, assuming you have enough room for it since it is substantially taller. Tilt heads tends to walk around the counter a bit more, since the joint where it tilts isn't 100% secure.

At least a couple people prefer tilt head, though, because it's easier to stop and add more items mid-mix if necessary.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

icehewk posted:

Bam, 4 oz jars. If you check out your local canning supplier (read: big box fuckos cashing in on the trend) you may be able to find 4 oz and save the $11 on shipping.

If it's good enough to seal up pipe tobacco for years, it's good enough for spices. Pipe smokers are a distinguishing lot and won't trust in just any namby pamby storage solutions to prevent their precious leaf from perishing.

edit: Actually, if you order from there it's a flat $5 for shipping and $7 a dozen.
Allow me to thank you for this with a picture.

loving useful as hell. I even have eleven left over for later spices!

EDIT: In case you were wondering, yes, I put these in a drawer after taking that picture. Not stupid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CloseFriend posted:

EDIT: In case you were wondering, yes, I put these in a drawer after taking that picture. Not stupid.
Looks awesome.... just might do this as well. Ugh, already spent $200 on my current jars, only to discover they're not 100% airtight

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

CloseFriend posted:

For anyone else who is looking, I noticed my local OSH has these as well ($11 or $12 iirc. Not as cheap as online, but no shipping charge either).

Also, https://www.specialtybottle.com has lots of interesting stuff for fairly cheap. Can't say how airtight any specific item is though.

Edit: I ordered a thermapen and it just arrived. The thing is a loving beast! It looks so dainty in the photos (exactly the opposite of the A-maze-n Pellet Smoker I got last week, which seemed big but was freakin tiny). Anyway, I took my temperature with it (I know this probably is not a recommended use) and it appears to be a couple degrees off (or maybe I'm dying. Who knows?). Not that I'd normally care about that level of precision but the thing came with a handwritten certificate of calibration :D. Guess I'll boil some water and give it a proper test. Update: Boiling water: 210 degrees. I'm not dying.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Does anyone know of any good Chipotle pastes that you can get in the UK. I have dried ones which are great but a paste would be really handy for quick things.

• Locked thread