Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

penguinmambo posted:

Lightning is weird in that I'm surprised they haven't tried to cuten her up yet. It's still sort of novel to have a jrpg protagonist lady who is sorta serious and surly without her entire characterization being like that (basically the detached 'cool beauty' type Japanese schoolgirls like). I think that affects a lot in how people read Lightning. If Lightning was a dude we'd just see her a "sorta detached JRPG protagonist dude'. But because she manages that as a lady, which we dont see in games, people (especially teenagers) read her as this extremely capable and unflappable badass.

I wonder how much of people reading Lightning as a capable badass woman has to do with her having zero romantic stuff going on(in FFXII at least, haven't touched the sequel yet). With how often the important women in JRPGs(including FFs) end up playing second fiddle to their own romantic interests it was kind of refreshing to have a lead female protagonist have a story that doesn't eventually involve her hooking up with a guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Gated character growth prevents you from steamrolling the whole game. See: FFXIII-2 and no character growth gating.

Changing classes is kinda silly since each character is tuned for three specific Paradigms, and the other Paradigms they are (mostly) poo poo in, so they don't give you them until the end of the game.

But outside of maybe the levels in Pulse, the linearity and set enemies pretty much prevent you from being able overlevel anyway. So what then, is the point of arbitrarily gating the growth? For what it's worth, the linearity is pretty great in that aspect - if a boss isn't dying then, chances are, the player is simply using the wrong strategy.

I wonder where the developers' logic is in making a battle system with each character being more proficient as a different class, and then not allowing you to have acess to all of them till the tail-end of the game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Pesky Splinter posted:

But outside of maybe the levels in Pulse, the linearity and set enemies pretty much prevent you from being able overlevel anyway. So what then, is the point of arbitrarily gating the growth? For what it's worth, the linearity is pretty great in that aspect - if a boss isn't dying then, chances are, the player is simply using the wrong strategy.

I wonder where the developers' logic is in making a battle system with each character being more proficient as a different class, and then not allowing you to have acess to all of them till the tail-end of the game.

And then making it prohibitively expensive to put any points into any class they aren't "specialized" in, so you don't do it anyway.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Camel Pimp posted:

And then making it prohibitively expensive to put any points into any class they aren't "specialized" in, so you don't do it anyway.

Except there are positives to sending characters down alternate paths; other characters get spells that others wouldn't know (for Ravager/Medic), Snow is the best Daze user, Fang gets all-party buff spells as a Synergist, etc.

They're meant for the post-game, as the main specialties are tied to each character, and make sense... Hope/Vanille make lovely Commandos anyway.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

penguinmambo posted:

Lightning is weird in that I'm surprised they haven't tried to cuten her up yet.
This is a completely good thing, though. Square can still make some good decisions, apparently.

Brother Entropy posted:

it was kind of refreshing to have a lead female protagonist have a story that doesn't eventually involve her hooking up with a guy.
Hell, this is still a fresh concept in other media.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I definitely prefer Lightning as a frigid woman that hates everyone around her. Like Squall, drat near everyone she has to be in contact with is completely insufferable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure they've said Lightning Returns is going to feature a bunch of costumes so I fully expect her to be wearing a schoolgirl outfit in that game before all is said and done.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Brother Entropy posted:

I wonder how much of people reading Lightning as a capable badass woman has to do with her having zero romantic stuff going on(in FFXII at least, haven't touched the sequel yet). With how often the important women in JRPGs(including FFs) end up playing second fiddle to their own romantic interests it was kind of refreshing to have a lead female protagonist have a story that doesn't eventually involve her hooking up with a guy.

I don't really see this all that much in FF to be honest. You could say Rosa falls into this because her defining factor is how much she means to Cecil but Leina/Faris and Terra/Celes don't really play out very cliched. You can make a case for Dagger, Yuna, and Aeris but all of them stand apart from their male love interest for a majority of their screen time and it's more on the male character to play up the love part.

gently caress Rinoa though.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Belzac posted:

I don't really see this all that much in FF to be honest. You could say Rosa falls into this because her defining factor is how much she means to Cecil but Leina/Faris and Terra/Celes don't really play out very cliched. You can make a case for Dagger, Yuna, and Aeris but all of them stand apart from their male love interest for a majority of their screen time and it's more on the male character to play up the love part.

Well, I can't talk too much about Dagger since I'm only now playing through FF9, but there was kind of a trend starting with FF7 where the leading lady seems like she'd be more important within the context of the world(either because she's the last of her race or daughter of the last guy to stop Sin) but then the leading man who seemed like just some guy ended up being just as, or even more important than her. It's not so much a 'defining factor' thing as much as a 'who's in the spotlight' thing. I haven't played far enough to know for sure, but I'm assuming Zidane's gonna end up a similar story.

This isn't really a criticism of FF or anything, just a trend that's gotten kinda stale and I like that FFXIII didn't keep it up.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Belzac posted:

You know, if I had the time/patience to figure it out, it'd be interesting to go back and see what Final Fantasies pass the Bechdel Test.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boten Anna posted:

You know, if I had the time/patience to figure it out, it'd be interesting to go back and see what Final Fantasies pass the Bechdel Test.
Pretty much all of them with an actual plot, but the Bechdel test isn't some sort of Feminist/Not Feminist Determination Machine, it's just a thing somebody made to point out a trend in media that nobody actually notices. Passing it or not passing it doesn't mean much on a case-by-case basis.

v: No it doesn't require that, because that'd be silly. There just has to be at least one conversation between two women about something other than a man.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 5, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It depends, does the Bachel test require the female characters never talk about a male? If so, then probably none. If not, I think 9 passes and technically 8 does. Quistis yelling at Rinoa for her stupid plan to trap the Sorceress is a thing that happened.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

Pretty much all of them with an actual plot, but the Bechdel test isn't some sort of Feminist/Not Feminist Determination Machine, it's just a thing somebody made to point out a trend in media that nobody actually notices. Passing it or not passing it doesn't mean much on a case-by-case basis.

I have the sneaky suspicion that 4 doesn't.

Fuckit let me just do it off the cuff:

1 - All PCs are implied to be male, and all dialogue is people talking to the PCs, so FAIL
2 - I don't know, but there's a female party member so maybe?
3 - The original has the same problem as 1 does, so FAIL, the remake might but the only dialogue from the main party I know of from the beginning is mainly one of the female characters talking to the male characters about her dad so...?
4 - I bet it doesn't, or it barely squeaks by, but I'd have play again or think long and hard.
5 - Never actually finished so I couldn't say, and also muddled by the fact that the game seems to think that Faris is "really" a woman but I humbly disagree :colbert:
6 - Two main characters are women and neither's motivation nor ultimate fulfillment in life comes from finding a man to woo, so it probably passes, though I couldn't tell you where offhand. PASS
7 - I really can't think of a scene where the women talk to each other, and Tifa talks a lot about Barret and Cloud, but I might be missing something. Do Yuffie and Tifa have an exchange about Materia? Does it count when it's secret/side content? :v:
8 - Rinoa probably talks to Ultimecia about Time Kompression or something. But mostly whines about Squall and ugh I hate this game so much.
9 - Probably something between Dagger and Freya?
10 - I bet it doesn't as the entire game centers around Tidus' ghost penis.
11 - I've talked to npcs and pcs alike about things that aren't men, so sure!
12 - Maybe Fraan and the Viera chief don't talk about how Baltheir isn't allowed at some point? MISANDRY Otherwise it's a pretty dudey world, really.
13 - Sucks, but there is an implied lesbian relationship between two party members which is more or less an automatic pass.
14 - Same as XI :v:

Momomo posted:

It depends, does the Bachel test require the female characters never talk about a male? If so, then probably none. If not, I think 9 passes and technically 8 does. Quistis yelling at Rinoa for her stupid plan to trap the Sorceress is a thing that happened.

No just that they do. In the "canonical" version, it's at all, though I prefer that a significant exchange takes place and don't think it really counts if you have to argue about it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In 6, Terra and Celes have a scene in Narshe where they are the only ones with lines, but the other characters are present in the background. Also the first Mobliz visit, if you don't get Sabin.

The real catch is that Terra and Celes are both in your party in the WoB only during two specific spans of time: immediately before the three party fight in Narshe (where the scene in question takes place) is the first one. Then Terra leaves for the whole MagiTek adventure, and after that Celes leaves and you get Terra back. Celes doesn't return to the plot until Thamasa, and she isn't playable until the Floating Continent. So yeah.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boten Anna posted:

9 - Probably something between Dagger and Freya?

Nah, Dagger and Eiko have a number of conversations that are solely about Summoner culture and history and poo poo.

Freya, on the other hand, has like, three conversations in the entire game where she doesn't :allears: over Fratley and that's because they aren't about her. They're about Amarant.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
FF4 also has Rosa coaxing Rydia to cast Fire, so it squeaks by.

FF2... has nothing. I'm almost positive. I think Maria has one line to Layla about joining them or something, but that's not a conversation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, Dagger and Eiko have a number of conversations that are solely about Summoner culture and history and poo poo.

Freya, on the other hand, has like, three conversations in the entire game where she doesn't :allears: over Fratley and that's because they aren't about her. They're about Amarant.

Sure would have been nice if Fratley was at all a meaningful or interesting character as opposed to "guy who shows up once early in the game with loving amnesia and then fucks right off until the ending."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Poor Freya. She could've been like, the coolest character in the game, but they ended up doing absolutely nothing with her. Instead that title goes to I dunno, Beatrix I guess.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I was going to say, does it have to be a one on one conversation? Otherwise 4 has several significant interactions between Rosa and young Rydia, but the nature of the game is that the entire party is present for pretty much everything. If the requirement is that both women be adults, maybe not because adult Rydia doesn't contribute much after she joins other than to be the object of Edge's proto-Edgar creepery.

Dross fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 5, 2012

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Dross posted:

I was going to say, does it have to be a one on one conversation? Otherwise 4 has several significant interactions between Rosa and young Rydia, but the nature of the game is that the entire party is present for pretty much everything. If the requirement is that both women be adults, maybe not because adult Rydia doesn't contribute much after she joins other than to be the object of Edge's proto-Edgar creepery.

Yeah that's why I don't think FF4 passes unless I'm forgetting something major; as I recall Rosa just gives Rydia some encouragement and Rydia doesn't say anything, and just the whole game has a weird chivalry-in-the-sexist-way vibe to it that isn't nearly as pronounced in the other entries in the series.

Before someone goes nuts that's not to say I don't like the game, just that it's arguably the least feminist in the entire series with regards to how the women are portrayed in it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Boten Anna posted:

10 - I bet it doesn't as the entire game centers around Tidus' ghost penis.

12 - Maybe Fraan and the Viera chief don't talk about how Baltheir isn't allowed at some point? MISANDRY Otherwise it's a pretty dudey world, really.

Pretty sure Lulu has conversations with Yuna about "chin up; be an upbeat summoner even when you're sending the souls of half of a village nearly wiped out by Sin," or Rikku has a conversation with Yuna about why Yuna shouldn't die willingly. I'm guessing 10 passes pretty easily.

Fran definitely has conversations with her sisters about leaving the Wood and whether that makes you a failure of a Viera. Ashe spends very little time chatting about men, but I can't think of many scenes where she wasn't talking to Vaan, Balthier, Basch, Vosler, Judge Ghis, Reddas, Ondore, Al-Cid, Larsa, the Gran Kiltias, the Occuria, Dr. Cid, or Vayne. Poor neglected Fran and Penelo.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been playing Tactics (I've never gotten past the first few battles) and so far I'm enjoying it, and now I feel even better about enjoying it because it passes the test in the very first scene!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
VII starts poorly: pretty sure the first candidate is Tifa and Aeris in Don Corneo's mansion. Talking about Cloud. However, I'm not familiar enough with the script to say it never passes. I think it's pretty stupid for RPGs anyway, the genre is known for objectifying women and this is a shallow defense. The exceptions are notable, but few and far in between.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Momomo posted:

9 has Eiko going with Dagger to the Water Shrine specifically so she can ask her about Zidane, so I'd say that's out.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Endorph posted:

Every post after that posted:

:spergin:

What the hell, people.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hedera Helix posted:

What the hell, people.

Welcome to the Final Fantasy Megathread, on that note

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

the genre is known for objectifying women

Compared to what genre, exactly? There are at least two games in this series (6 and 13) with not-terrible female protagonists. I can't think of too many shooters or third-person action games that meet that criteria.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

How are y'all having feminism chat without mentioning Final Fantasy X-2? Grrrl Power! What can I do for you♥ Whooooo!

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
K. So, just beat FFVIII and let me get this straight...

At the end of the battle, Ultimecia goes back to give Matron Edea her powers... who at some point accidentally gives her powers to Rinoa... who probably lives for so long she gains a Russian accent, builds a castle full of gently caress, and becomes the villain we know as Ultimecia and attempts to Kompress all Time but then eventually gets killed by Squall's gang of SeeD so she goes back in time...

And this is all Squall's destiny because Cid already knows since Edea told him about future Squall so it must happens and it's all just one huge time loop of gently caress.

If I'm even a little bit right then :psyduck:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Officially there's no connection between Ultimecia and Rinoa, Ultimecia is just some random sorceress who decided life should be a little more :catdrugs: but the idea that Rinoa is Ultimecia is an old fan explanation to make the game's story a little less "fire everything at a wall and see what sticks". There's no direct proof, but it's an easy connection to make.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

I've joked that the reason Snow was poised to hook up with Lightning's sister is because that'd usually be the job of the protagonist and his 'adopted sister/childhood friend', but for obvious reasons the writers weren't going to do that with a girl lead.

More seriously, it's not that you can't have those things and still be an ok female character, I just find it very foreward-thinking someone seems to have deliberately avoided any of it, as if to completely remove all temptation. EVen the shameless Lighting merchandise stuff emphasis her coolness, not her boobs or something.Lighting doesn't really cry, at most she consoles characters who overreact (like Hope, which makes her look like a big sister and still badass), etc. I think it's the same reason Fang is incredibly easy to sell as the Sexy One, even though it's all in her attitude. It's done in a really subtley pleasant way.

And for as much as people joke about X-2, while I'm sure they wouldn't touch Yuna for obvious reasons, I am kind of amazed they completely dodge any sort of romancey crap with the other two (especially if you're like me and read that game is as "pretty shoujo pap", so including a romance subplot for an extra really wouldn't have been that odd) Paine has an entirely dudebro relationship with her former party and the closest Rikku gets is a single scene of subtle flirting with the re-occuring smarmy guy that just reads humorously.

Also the dumbest thing Square ever did was stomp on the R=U thing (or at least let one guy do it in one of those otaku-zines). We all knew the writers also had pet ideas on the weird love triangle in FF7, but they were smart enough to keep shut for years and let people draw their own opinions because that ambiguity is interesting.

keet fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 5, 2012

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Momomo posted:

Poor Freya. She could've been like, the coolest character in the game, but they ended up doing absolutely nothing with her. Instead that title goes to I dunno, Beatrix I guess.

I still consider Freya the best Dragoon. That combat stance is awesome plus I preferred the way she holds her spear.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Vinchenz posted:

K. So, just beat FFVIII and let me get this straight...

At the end of the battle, Ultimecia goes back to give Matron Edea her powers... who at some point accidentally gives her powers to Rinoa... who probably lives for so long she gains a Russian accent, builds a castle full of gently caress, and becomes the villain we know as Ultimecia and attempts to Kompress all Time but then eventually gets killed by Squall's gang of SeeD so she goes back in time...

And this is all Squall's destiny because Cid already knows since Edea told him about future Squall so it must happens and it's all just one huge time loop of gently caress.

If I'm even a little bit right then :psyduck:

You got most of it, yeah.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 23, 2014

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Momomo posted:

I've always liked Freya, but it really is based more on how cool she could've been than how cool she actually was.

But I still love any and all dragoons, so.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
So, I'm playing FFXIII-2 for the first time and I just got through chapter 4. Now, my question is: who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to copy Chrono Cross' plot? :psyduck:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

And what's wrong with that? :colbert:

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Krad posted:

So, I'm playing FFXIII-2 for the first time and I just got through chapter 4. Now, my question is: who the hell thought it'd be a good idea to copy Chrono Cross' plot? :psyduck:

Chrono Cross WISHES it had a plot like XIII-2. :smug:

But seriously, I enjoyed XIII-2 a hell of a lot more than I did with CC. Maybe because the plot doesn't take itself as seriously until the very end when some horrible hosed up poo poo happens. I mean, I still have to respect SE for killing off the main character and basically admitting "welp, despite your efforts you've still failed." Kinda refreshing in a genre where HAPPY END seems to be the norm.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dross posted:

Aside from the fact that I was already starting to get confused thanks to the disjointed narrative... nothing at all. :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Aside from the fact that I was already starting to get confused thanks to the disjointed narrative... nothing at all. :(

Here is the key to understanding FFXIII-2's plot.

Just turn off your ears every time they use the word "Paradox" without it discussing something very specific. Don't pay any attention to it. When they stop babbling about Paradoxes you can pay attention again because that's about the only time poo poo actually matters.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dross posted:

Nothing at all, really!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mister Roboto posted:

You got most of it, yeah.

Pre game:
-Edea learns she has sorceress potential when she's young.
-When Ultimecia appears at the orphanage, apparently at random, Edea absorbs Ulty's power when she dies. This has to be done or else Ulty never really will die and wander around space/time until a real successor is found.
-Eventually this takes over her mind and she essentially BECOMES Ultimecia.
-Edea knew this would come, and her and Cid rush to change the orphanage to the SeeD program. This is to prepare magic soldiers to eventually stop her inevitable madness.
-This is partially why Cid sold out to NORG, he needed cash fast.

Game time:
-Edea, now fully Ultimecia, starts her world war and also tries to track down Ellone for her own unique power.
-When Edea's defeated, something unexpected happens and Ulty jumps into Rinoa.
-Possessed Rinoa frees Adel, and Ultimecia leaps into Adel.
-Possessed Adel tries to absorb Rinoa and cast the powerful spell Time Compression.
-Adel is killed. Since sorceresses cannot truly die until they pass on their powers, Rinoa gets to be the successor.
-Time Compression gets cast anyways. This is where it gets confusing since it means you can, in theory, go anywhen in time if you remember the place. This is pretty much the crux of the entire story.
-The team uses Ellone's unique power (sending people's consciousnesses out of their bodies) to get Ultimecia out of Rinoa.
-They also use the chance to travel in time to when Ultimecia is from.
-Ultimecia reveals she did the entire thing to prevent SeeD from forming in the first place, since they become known as the Sorceress
hunters.
-They kill her, time compression starts to unravel and they go back to places they remember.
-Squall's memory of the orphanage and seeing Ultimecia there brings him there to see Ultimecia there. It's possible that Squall's memory of her being there is a timeloop in itself, since she may not have actually come there either if not for Squall being there.

-So basically, Ultimecia's death and attempt to pass on her powers causes the entire time loop, plotholes and all, since all time travel stories ever written have holes.

The Rinoa=Ultimecia thing is a fan theory that says Ultimecia's true origin is that if Squall never makes it back to in time, Rinoa, lacking her "knight" to keep her mind and soul anchored, eventually succumbs to the madness of Sorceress power and eventually becomes Ultimecia.

It's not really supported by canon, but it does make Ultimecia more interesting than her official origin, which is that she's just a Sorceress from the future who was persecuted and pursued and thus wants to stop said persecution from happening EVER, and the Time Compression spell would allow this by essentially stopping time from moving.

That's a brief explanation; the complete definition of "time compression" is in the wiki:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Compression

FFVIII is really all about Squall though, and the point of Ultimecia coming out of nowhere only makes sense at the very end- Squall tells Edea to form an organization to fight Sorceresses, which leads to SeeD, which leads to the persecution of Sorceresses in the future, which leads to Ultimecia trying to achieve a world where she can live in peace, which leads to Squall telling Edea- Squall's entire life and existence are an unending loop, and Ultimecia and Squall are ultimately self-created entities, who then created the rest of the cast, bar perhaps Rinoa. Of course, this completely ignores Adel, but that's because FFVIII has a bad story.