Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Mugaaz posted:

Heard something goofy from TAC today and want to verify I'm not the idiot. Opened case on high CPU on a 6509 from intterupts, they came back with it being caused by a majority of the traffic being sent to the default route and not a more specific route. According to him this causes it to be kicked up to the CPU?

This sounds like BS to me, the default route is in CEF, the next hop is the IP of a PIX FW Module on the chassis, so its not an ARP issue causing CPU either. Why would something being sent to the default route cause it to be sent to the CPU if the route exists in CEF? I'd understand if it had expired TTLs or something, but its just normal traffic.

I'm not on expert on the details of how stuff is processed in hardware so I figured I'd ask some goons.

Hows your tcam look?

sh platform hardware capacity forwarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Did anyone have any parity error crashes on Saturday? There was a solar flare that hit earth Saturday and one of our Sup's in VSS got a one-off parity error that day and rebooted, I found it a bit amusing that they coincided :v:

Mugaaz posted:

Heard something goofy from TAC today and want to verify I'm not the idiot. Opened case on high CPU on a 6509 from intterupts, they came back with it being caused by a majority of the traffic being sent to the default route and not a more specific route. According to him this causes it to be kicked up to the CPU?

This sounds like BS to me, the default route is in CEF, the next hop is the IP of a PIX FW Module on the chassis, so its not an ARP issue causing CPU either. Why would something being sent to the default route cause it to be sent to the CPU if the route exists in CEF? I'd understand if it had expired TTLs or something, but its just normal traffic.

I'm not on expert on the details of how stuff is processed in hardware so I figured I'd ask some goons.

show mls cef lookup [external route] and see if it is glean or an interface, glean is a punt.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 3, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, it looks like it's an issue with the Apple iOS (I hate that I have to specify this these days) devices disconnecting the wireless when in standby and the WLC dropping auth since it's not getting any more traffic from the device.

Looks like some relevant discussion here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2117809

We've got a bunch of Apple iOS devices on one of our customer networks and we're using 802.1x for authentication and I haven't heard of any problems since iOS6 has been released. We also have a guest portal using the webauth package, but don't generally have Apple iOS devices connecting to that, just PC clients mostly.

Folks using iPads like they're going out of style.

"Why do I have to reconnect when moving from the 4th floor to the 7th floor? Can we fix this?"

Nope - Engi/Lana

7.0.98.0 is the software version I'm running. Hardware is ren-wlc5508. Setting up 802.1x with this is pretty easy, yes?

I'm handling Cisco side for physical based 802.1x and the guy handling the NAC/Radius is dragging rear end on his end. Figured that would give me some practice.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

7.0.98.0 is the software version I'm running. Hardware is ren-wlc5508. Setting up 802.1x with this is pretty easy, yes?

I'm handling Cisco side for physical based 802.1x and the guy handling the NAC/Radius is dragging rear end on his end. Figured that would give me some practice.

You are using the built-in web authentication bundle on the WLC, correct? Are the RADIUS servers already configured on the WLC for use with the webauth? I think you should be able to configure a WLAN that points at the same RADIUS servers for 802.1x.

On the Layer 2 tab under Security for the wlan, set the dropdown to WPA+WPA2, tick all the checkboxes, and set the Auth Key Mgmt to 802.1x. The Layer 3 tab shouldn't have anything configured, and the AAA server config should be the same as your webauth wlan.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

You are using the built-in web authentication bundle on the WLC, correct? Are the RADIUS servers already configured on the WLC for use with the webauth? I think you should be able to configure a WLAN that points at the same RADIUS servers for 802.1x.

On the Layer 2 tab under Security for the wlan, set the dropdown to WPA+WPA2, tick all the checkboxes, and set the Auth Key Mgmt to 802.1x. The Layer 3 tab shouldn't have anything configured, and the AAA server config should be the same as your webauth wlan.

Currently I'm setting up an additional network/SSID for testing this.

Following these directions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807f42e9.shtml#auth-8201

Radius server was already an option, thankfully.

Now the question I have is:

quote:

Configure Wireless Client for 802.1x Authentication

This section. Is this something I need to configure on my Windows box? Will this need to be configured on all Windows boxes?

ed

This setup is different than your recommendation. I currently have Layer 2 Security set to 802.1x, which changes the bottom option to WEP and Key Size.

If I change it to WPA+WPA2 I have the option of Auth Key Management, and it is set to 802.1x.

Which would you recommend? Would you mind taking a moment to explain the differences between the two? Or is your recommendation a way of avoiding client side configuration?

ed

Tried it with your settings and I couldn't connect. Will try with the first set.

ed

No go on either.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 3, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

In my next house I intend to get FTTC 80/20 from my company and speak BGP with them since a colleague says I can use a /23 of his (which I don't even need :haw:). I don't know anything about low-end Cisco devices. What's the cheapest router I can get that can handle this? i.e. BGP capable and can manage up to 100Mbps of burst traffic.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Mugaaz posted:

Uhm yes that sounds like BS. Do you have a case id I can have a look at?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Anjow posted:

In my next house I intend to get FTTC 80/20 from my company and speak BGP with them since a colleague says I can use a /23 of his (which I don't even need :haw:). I don't know anything about low-end Cisco devices. What's the cheapest router I can get that can handle this? i.e. BGP capable and can manage up to 100Mbps of burst traffic.

I'd get a 3825 off of ebay for about $200.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

falz posted:

Thanks. I had a look and based on the pictures I saw on ebay it is possible we may have one of these spare at the office :D

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Quick question regarding GNS3.
I have a small lab of a few switches and routers; Can I connect that lab to my GNS3 virtual lab via the pcs ethernet? I've heard vaugely that it can be done but I was hoping someone could get me a quick Yes or No so I'd know if it was worth looking into.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

ToG posted:

Quick question regarding GNS3.
I have a small lab of a few switches and routers; Can I connect that lab to my GNS3 virtual lab via the pcs ethernet? I've heard vaugely that it can be done but I was hoping someone could get me a quick Yes or No so I'd know if it was worth looking into.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7895037_connect-gns3-real-network.html

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yes it can be done, but I've never done it and I haven't had a whole lot of success with GNS3. Lots of crashes, routers become unresponsive etc.

Unrelated. What is the cheapest cisco way to support wireless n? I'm moving into a place that will be offering 75mb down and some amount up. I want to get a new router probably a small ISR that can handle that with NAT, DHCP, inspection, etc. and also supports 802.11n. Can you buy 802.11n MIMO WICs?

Anyone know any model numbers?

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
^
GNS3 crashes alot for me too but all I really want to do is build a topology, test it, tear it down. Repeat.

Oh wow, That's way easier than I thought. Thanks.

ToG fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 3, 2012

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

Anjow posted:

Do you have an ASN or will they let you use a private ASN?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Currently I'm setting up an additional network/SSID for testing this.

Following these directions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807f42e9.shtml#auth-8201

Radius server was already an option, thankfully.

Now the question I have is:

This section. Is this something I need to configure on my Windows box? Will this need to be configured on all Windows boxes?

ed

This setup is different than your recommendation. I currently have Layer 2 Security set to 802.1x, which changes the bottom option to WEP and Key Size.

If I change it to WPA+WPA2 I have the option of Auth Key Management, and it is set to 802.1x.

Which would you recommend? Would you mind taking a moment to explain the differences between the two? Or is your recommendation a way of avoiding client side configuration?

ed

Tried it with your settings and I couldn't connect. Will try with the first set.

ed

No go on either.

Use these directions: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807f42e9.shtml#wifi

If I remember correctly, the client side configuration only has to be done on Windows XP machines, and can be pushed out via GPO. There isn't any client-side configuration that has to be done on Apple iOS devices, other than connecting to the SSID and logging in.

There is an issue if you're authenticating against an ACS server that's using active directory for the user information. The AD user account has to have "Allow access" selected under the "Dial-in" tab. Otherwise you won't be able to authenticate.

Not sure if this is also the case on the web auth bundle, because we use a Cisco NAC Guest server for that back end.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

ragzilla posted:

Do you have an ASN or will they let you use a private ASN?

It will be me that sets it up so I'll just use a private one. That is unless these IPs are assigned to a spare ASN of my colleague's, which is quite possible.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Anjow posted:

It will be me that sets it up so I'll just use a private one. That is unless these IPs are assigned to a spare ASN of my colleague's, which is quite possible.

You also realize that running BGP over a dedicated circuit with a carrier is much more expensive than the usual "internet access" residential ISPs have right?

Like you won't be able to just call up your local Comcast office order triple play + BGP.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Folks using iPads like they're going out of style.

"Why do I have to reconnect when moving from the 4th floor to the 7th floor? Can we fix this?"
Did you check Fast SSID change? This sounds an awful lot like the problem I was having and Fast SSID change fixed it.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

WIth respect to 802.1x, you'll need to ensure your authentication server is configured for the appropriate EAP types. That's a big part of the battle.

You'll most likely want to be using PEAP, as it's mostly seamless from the iOS perspective.

As for Windows machines, that's a whole other animal. You can push settings via GPO, but only if your GPO is running on a 2008 server or later (I think, it's been a while). Earlier versions didn't have the extensions for setting 802.1x attributes.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Powercrazy posted:

You also realize that running BGP over a dedicated circuit with a carrier is much more expensive than the usual "internet access" residential ISPs have right?

Like you won't be able to just call up your local Comcast office order triple play + BGP.

I don't know if you missed my first comment, but this will be from the company I work for. The costs will be that of the line (£20-30/month as any other customer of ours), potentially the cost of the router if I can't sway one for free, and the 3 minutes it takes me to set up the BGP on one of our routers.

The downside is that if my connection goes down in the night I either have to call one of the night staff on site (who will be useless) if it's a line problem, or fix it myself on my phone if it's a config problem.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Anjow posted:

I don't know if you missed my first comment, but this will be from the company I work for. The costs will be that of the line (£20-30/month as any other customer of ours), potentially the cost of the router if I can't sway one for free, and the 3 minutes it takes me to set up the BGP on one of our routers.

The downside is that if my connection goes down in the night I either have to call one of the night staff on site (who will be useless) if it's a line problem, or fix it myself on my phone if it's a config problem.

While I'm sure this sounds like fun and a good idea now, I suggest that you consider not running BGP to your home.

When you get down to it, whats the point? So you will setup a private ASN and use a /23... for your house?

Just grab a /29 or something from your company and save yourself a lot of trouble and just statically route it. You get a couple of static IPs, and no headaches in the future. And you don't have to buy a router that can speak BGP to receive a default and announce one route..

Remember, BGP is useful when you are dealing with multiple ISPs and you want to have some failover, or you value having provider independence by using your own IP space, you want to try to influence your traffic's path across different ISPs, or you want to do something like anycast with a subnet. But I don't think any of these apply to you, and I can't think of any legitimate reason why you need a /23 routed to your house (which of course you still could do with a simple static route anyway).

I'm not trying to ruin the party, but I think you'll be happier long term if you keep it simple.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Thanks, I appreciate your points and as the time nears I will keep them in mind. I'm not planning to do it because I've carefully considered my requirements and decided it is something I need, I'm planning to do it mainly just because I can and it will be interesting and fun. If I wrangle a free router, set this up, then decide I don't like it I have lost nothing - I'll just get a normal home router that we send out to customers and reconfigure.

This colleague that has the IPs is already doing this with an 1841 we had lying around. I am well aware that if I wasn't in this exact situation this would be a massive waste of money but as it stands it will cost me nothing extra.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 3, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Anjow posted:

This colleague that has the IPs is already doing this with an 1841 we had lying around. I am well aware that if I wasn't in this exact situation this would be a massive waste of money but as it stands it will cost me nothing extra.
If the price was right (free) I wouldn't hesitate to do it too. Full routes + an SLA and Carrier Circuit ID and of course more than a handful of publicly routable IP addresses. Seems like a fun project.

Of course Cost is the main limiting facotr for me. I can't justify 2-300 per month just for novelty.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Sepist posted:

Did anyone have any parity error crashes on Saturday? There was a solar flare that hit earth Saturday and one of our Sup's in VSS got a one-off parity error that day and rebooted, I found it a bit amusing that they coincided :v:

I had this a few weeks ago, didn't see any solar activity that day. What did your crashinfo log? Mine was:
code:
Sep  7 11:16:40.428 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-SP-3-ERROR: Error condition detected: TM_NPP_PARITY_ERROR
Sep  7 11:16:40.428 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-SP-3-FATAL: An unrecoverable error has been detected. The system is being reset.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I had an active sup-720 fail and recover with no crashlog or any indication it had reset except a syslog entry about module 5.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

If you're only taking one feed, there really isn't a reason to take full tables that I can think of.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jwh posted:

If you're only taking one feed, there really isn't a reason to take full tables that I can think of.

Eh, if I had my own router taking full routes I'd probably do analysis on it. Check the availability of various Networks, monitor path changes, etc. Maybe make a blog about it, in general though, yea, there is no point.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

falz posted:

I had this a few weeks ago, didn't see any solar activity that day. What did your crashinfo log? Mine was:
code:
Sep  7 11:16:40.428 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-SP-3-ERROR: Error condition detected: TM_NPP_PARITY_ERROR
Sep  7 11:16:40.428 CDT: %SYSTEM_CONTROLLER-SP-3-FATAL: An unrecoverable error has been detected. The system is being reset.

Same errors. TAC just said to monitor it but I remember a particular engineer in the past mentioned solar flares but any kind of voltage or electromagnetic disruption could cause a bit error.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Why do it? Because DDWRT can, nothing says over-engineered like running BGP with your home Internet provider with a Linksys router.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why not do something more useful/educational like get allocated/advertise an IPv6 /64 ?

http://ipv6.he.net/certification/

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

falz posted:

Just found exactly this in our store :D

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Hopefully your employer isn't reading these forums

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Plenty of places have an "old crap we don't need" room/closet where you only have to ask before you can take whatever.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

falz posted:

Hopefully your employer isn't reading these forums

I've asked, and I won't start experimenting until I get an okay. Taking anything without asking is always an invitation to trouble.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

With all them v6 address we should be able to :argh:

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005

doomisland posted:

With all them v6 address we should be able to :argh:
Still only 32 bits of ASN space. And multi homing should be easier under v6 (just have an address from each provider on your machine) if you're an eyeball.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Someone brought this up in the office today: We recently switched from PVST to MST, but there's a chance that a few switches may have missed the update. Is there a way to tell which ones are still using PVST without logging in to all of them?

As far as I know (and have discovered by screwing up) a PVST switch that's trunked to a MST switch would be unreachable, but not sure if it poses any other problems aside from that?

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

VR Cowboy posted:

Someone brought this up in the office today: We recently switched from PVST to MST, but there's a chance that a few switches may have missed the update. Is there a way to tell which ones are still using PVST without logging in to all of them?
If you have enough switches that it's a pain to log into all of them, surely you have an NMS grabbing all your switch configs?

If so just search for the configs that contain "spanning-tree mode rapid-pvst"?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
We do. I logged in and stared at it just after I posted that and it flew right over my head :downs: Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
Hi, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to what has what in switches and routers, so I need a suggestion for a device.

Our network looks something like this:

code:
          WAN
           |
        FW-|
           | 
      ____(R)____
     /     |      \
    /     Site4    \
Site1             Site2
Datacenter        Backup Datacenter
We have about 10 networks on these sites and we'd like to do static vlan routing with access lists on the device (R) to separate these. We tried routing with the firewall (NSA2400) and add access rules there, but the traffic killed it. Total users is about ~400, bandwidth normally around 300-500Mb/s

L2 switching within the sites are done with HP Procurve 2910al's (does not support ACL on VLANs).
L2 switching between sites are mostly WS-C3560G's and WS-C2960G's (not ours).
What kind of switch/router should the (R) device be? I'm thinking we need 24 Gb ports. I don't care if it's a HP Procurve of Cisco as long as it can do what I need.