Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
Thanks for all the comments you guys. :3: At first I thought that her nose markings looked like a bunny, but it does look more like a Chinchilla! And yes, I'm in NE Ohio, come boop her nose any time. :3:

Also, I really shouldn't be upset about this, but it's really got me down. I was out buying shampoo at the corner store, which is close to my friends house, and I had Fionna with me. So I stopped by to show her to him. I pulled in his driveway and called him to tell him to come out, but it turned out he was at his friends place. That's not an issue in itself, but his friends are assholes. They all talked on top of their voices when he was on the phone with me, and I guess he'd told them about Fionna, because one of them shouts "Micheal Vick is my hero!" My friend sounded appalled and apologized to me, but I was so upset I cut it off right there. This particular person has been a jerkoff since high school, but you should never underestimate just how low a person can sink. I want to punch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
So edgy I cut myself. How old is this person seriously?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So I've been spending an hour at work returning behavior helpline calls/emails. I checked our Sent folder and noticed someone had sent us an email asking for help because their Pug/Boston mix was growling and snapping at their new Chihuahua puppy.

One of our caseworkers replied that dogs have to "establish a pack order (who is alpha, the leader)," and that hopefully it would work itself out.

:suicide:

I sent the person an email apologizing and offering to give real advice.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

So I've been spending an hour at work returning behavior helpline calls/emails. I checked our Sent folder and noticed someone had sent us an email asking for help because their Pug/Boston mix was growling and snapping at their new Chihuahua puppy.

One of our caseworkers replied that dogs have to "establish a pack order (who is alpha, the leader)," and that hopefully it would work itself out.

:suicide:

I sent the person an email apologizing and offering to give real advice.

Thank god the older dog's face is so flat it can't really do too much in the mean time.

EDIT: Also do you work with a lot of people who might legally be idiots?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
It's entirely possible. My new supervisor warned me to watch out for this one coonhound in daycare because he causes trouble a lot over "dominance."

Other than baying at another dog who liked to play "LET'S MAKE NOISE TOGETHER" games with him (which wasn't even really a problem, just loud... and ridiculous), he was one of the most well-behaved of all the dogs today. :confused:

edit: Clearly I am a superior pack leader. :smug:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 5, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

It's entirely possible. My new supervisor warned me to watch out for this one coonhound in daycare because he causes trouble a lot over "dominance."

Other than baying at another dog who liked to play "LET'S MAKE NOISE TOGETHER" games with him (which wasn't even really a problem, just loud... and ridiculous), he was one of the most well-behaved of all the dogs today. :confused:

edit: Clearly I am a superior pack leader. :smug:

Just start alpha rolling your co-workers its the only way. Remind them of our common evolutionary ancestor with dogs/wolves.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The mind boggles... I mean sure, you have to be a confident leader but how does that translate to kicking your dog if he goes through the door before you or something. People. :psyduck:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Fortunately I haven't actually SEEN anyone alpha rolling/scruff shaking/etc. any of the dogs, but they aren't as gentle/understanding with them as I'd like (and frequently violate their own "don't grab collars to break up scuffles" rule). Plenty of people believe in the whole dominance hierarchy thing without thinking they need to actually act on it, and think of it as more a "lol just the way dogs are" thing. But the fact I only just began working at this new place on Monday and I've already heard the words "alpha" and "dominance" from three different superiors just makes me sad... I miss my old place. :sigh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I knew that dogs would move and such in their dreams but I didn't know cats would do it. Sadie was in her bed (which she is too big for) in my office and I noticed she was dreaming and twitching her toes and whiskers. I was close up watching her and "awww"ing to myself when she had a start and woke up. She gave me the best "what the gently caress are you doing?" reactions I've ever seen. It was like something straight out of those dramatic animal youtube videos.

Oh, did I mention I had my camera on? Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8JuOsOYX0

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Shifty Pony posted:

I knew that dogs would move and such in their dreams but I didn't know cats would do it. Sadie was in her bed (which she is too big for) in my office and I noticed she was dreaming and twitching her toes and whiskers. I was close up watching her and "awww"ing to myself when she had a start and woke up. She gave me the best "what the gently caress are you doing?" reactions I've ever seen. It was like something straight out of those dramatic animal youtube videos.

Oh, did I mention I had my camera on? Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq8JuOsOYX0

I think Sadie's my new favorite PI kitty. That face. :3:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Why yes fat guy, I do like it when you let your fat shaved spaniel chase me and my dog when we're on the bike and nearly make me crash and make my dog have a meltdown. Thanks, man!! :allears:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
The bantam chicken eggs I was incubating for a friend started to hatch last night!

Two are pipped and working out as of this morning. I think two others are viable thus far but haven't moved or pipped. The two pipped are bantam cochins and the other eggs are sizzles (silkie/frizzle cross bantams).

I didn't expect them to hatch because my incubator failed for the better part of an hour halfway through the incubation period (killing most of my quail hatch and giving me two weak chicks), but chicken eggs are resilient and don't lose heat as fast as tiny quail eggs do so I got a surprise.

I love seeing their tiny beaks poking through and breathing :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Why

Why do SO many people think it is spelled/pronounced "dotson"

Why

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Because even though English is a Germanic language, no one can pronounce or spell anything German?

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Benny got bath:

Apologies for the cell phone quality. I can't believe the little guy is going home so soon - he and Neige have been such good chums these past three weeks. I think they'll miss each other, but she'll have so much more to think about once we really get the moving process underway (we bought a house!).

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Skizzles posted:

Why

Why
Because reading is hard.

Its dachshund, I guess the best way to sound it out for an English speaker would be "daxhund". Not loving "dotson".

German is my second language and I don't get to practice as often as I'd like, but people butcher the simplest poo poo all the time and its infuriating to me.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Honestly, I don't think it has so much to do with butchering German as it has to do with people who don't spend much time at all reading anything and are filling in the spelling from what they hear. Linguistically I don't know why the X sound gets switched to a TS for English speakers, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Linguistically I don't know why the X sound gets switched to a TS for English speakers, though.

Probably because of the glottal stop. "daschund" gets mispronounced "dax hund" gets mispronounced "dahx hund," and then the x gets replaced with a glottal stop, which makes it sound more like dotson, and then :patriot:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Skizzles posted:

Why

Why

I think it's because Americans are very familiar with the Nissan Datsun and not at all familiar with the German language.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Papercut posted:

I think it's because Americans are very familiar with the Nissan Datsun and not at all familiar with the German language.

This. I hear "Datsun" just as much as "dotsun" and it is the best thing.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/10/this-man-should-not-be-allowed-animals/

My brother sent me this link/video and oh my god it is such a mess. Since when is getting a bunch of animals of different species and piling them on a single surface an acceptable thing? And the poor puppy screaming at the end. I wonder what happened to him. So did Dexter, who rushed over to the laptop to try to investigate the second it started screaming.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I'd rather hear them called "dotsons" than "weenie dogs". I'd rather hear about schnoodles than weenie dogs. Or "wennie" dogs or whatever other bizarre misspellings people come up with on Craigslist.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I heard dash-hound a while ago. Kind of cute, kind of dumb. And god is that video that cryingscarf just posted horrible.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

To contribute to the dachshund conversation, I used to live in Germany so the spelling/pronunciation comes easily to me. But I know some people have a difficult time figuring it out. Datsun, dotsun and dash-hound drive me nuts, but for some reason "doxie" does not. To me it is equivalent to how people shorten australian shepherd to aussies.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

cryingscarf posted:

http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2012/10/this-man-should-not-be-allowed-animals/

My brother sent me this link/video and oh my god it is such a mess. Since when is getting a bunch of animals of different species and piling them on a single surface an acceptable thing? And the poor puppy screaming at the end. I wonder what happened to him. So did Dexter, who rushed over to the laptop to try to investigate the second it started screaming.

He's basically wrong about everything, constantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mded1kZD3U

That's another really good example of him being stupid most of the time. Though if I remember right that pup on that video was fine.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

You guys, let me tell you how dumb my cat is.

He's a fat pig food whore who scarfs down his food in .4 seconds, so he barfs every few days from eating too goddamn fast. If I don't get to the barf within about 10 minutes to clean it up, he will re-eat it. :downs: The other day, he barfed in the litterbox and I didn't realize -- this is going exactly where you think it's going.

That fat moron ate his own barf out of the box he pisses and shits in. He also ate a good amount of litter apparently, and I realized all of this when he barfed it all up again. Animals this dumb don't survive in the wild.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
...You know what, Serella, I suddenly feel better about my own cats. Thank you. They have not yet eaten barf out of the litter box.

Yet.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Speaking of dachshunds, as I was working on my car a woman walked past with the most pathetic dachshund I have ever seen. I want to say it was a mini, but it was obviously young. It was having a hell of a time walking and was really freaked out. His owner said he was 13 weeks old and that they'd just gotten back from the vets. He then proceeded to stand next to me, do a little excitement pee (that I noticed later) and rub against my leg for pets.

Oh my god I'd be lying if I didn't say it was the cutest drat dog I'd seen all day.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Kerfuffle posted:

So edgy I cut myself. How old is this person seriously?

I believe he's 21 or 22. He posts emo poetry and about his ex girlfriend on Facebook all the time, so I really shouldn't be surprised at his behavior.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Well this sure is an advertisement.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

Bad Munki posted:

Probably because of the glottal stop. "daschund" gets mispronounced "dax hund" gets mispronounced "dahx hund," and then the x gets replaced with a glottal stop, which makes it sound more like dotson, and then :patriot:

I am confused. Are you saying there should be a glottal stop in there? I thought it was a palatal sound, and maybe even a fricative in the German. I can't make it sound normal with a glottal stop in English. I think most people pronounce it with the voiceless velar /k/, it becomes /ts/ because the /k/ assimilates to the place of the next sound (the alveolar fricative /s/) making it sound more like /ts/ than /ks/ (what actually happens is sort of somewhere in between but it gets complicated fast). Listeners misperceive and pass the wrong pronunciation to others. It's pretty standard place assimilation though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm saying that people just get lazy and put in a glottal stop on an already mis-heard and mispronounced word, and that leads to further mis-hearing and hence mispronunciation, and eventually leads to jumping that x-t gap. Like, dahtsun is actually pronounced more like dah'sun, and dahksun would also be pronounced more like dah'sun, because of that lazy stop.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 6, 2012

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
I still have no idea how to pronounce it after all the above :-/

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Splat posted:

"weinerdog"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Splat posted:

Stuff your mouth full of jalapeno marshmallows, chew, try to sneeze and say docks hound.
Its really that easy.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

This is why I have to call them Sausagedogs. Just can't remember what the proper pronunciation is, ever.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Actual German people I know from Germany pronounced it similar to "dahks-hund". I'm sure my Canadian ears are mishearing it a bit, but its close enough I think :)

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mother is guilty of "dash-hound." She's terrible with pronunciations.

I was at work when I overheard this old man come in with his Chihuahua/Dachshund mix, and my managers were all "Oh it's a Chiweenie, teehee, they breed those on purpose now, they're called designer dogs!"

I'm going to lose a part of my soul working here.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I know the pronunciation, I just call them weenie/weiner dogs. I'm not sorry. It's what they are.

Gumbo puppy, being low but large, is a pork roast. (ham log.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My German friend says "daksh-hoond" with a very slight pronunciation on the k.

• Locked thread