Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Given that the Nexus 7 is as much about getting Google Play competitive with Amazon's platforms, I hope the Fire HD gets a competitor soon.

I just want a "Nexus Something Larger Than 7", because I think the Transformer line has not really succeeded on that front and as a guy with no interest about connectable keyboard docks I just want a full sized screen without having to spend $500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If there's an oleophobic layer, it can get rubbed off, but that won't show as abrasion wear.

Basically, don't buy lovely tablets and you won't get lovely screens that wear from fingertips.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The oleophobic coating can be scratched and looks like a scratch, you just cant feel it. That being said i dont think the nexus 7 has one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Don Lapre posted:

The oleophobic coating can be scratched and looks like a scratch, you just cant feel it. That being said i dont think the nexus 7 has one.

Correct, no funky magic coating.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
I recently purchased a TF300 from Amazon's Warehouse Deals in Used - Very Good condition. It arrived in essentially brand new condition. Then after a short while it started having display problems, mostly along the left side of the screen. Here are some shots showing what I mean:

Here you can see the back button is messed up:

And a 10 second video of a menu flickering:
http://youtu.be/8oyB_wD4CDc

I know ASUS' RMA is horrible. This issue doesn't even show itself every time, so I'm worried that if I do send it to them that they'll say it's fine (and then ship me back a TF100 or something like that). Can Amazon help me at all? I know Amazon Warehouse has a 30 day return period, maybe my best bet is to return it and just buy another (they still have some available, albeit for $20 more). Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I returned my Nexus 7 for screen flickering, it was a roundabout process but not horrible by any means. I'm in the UK so YMMV, but for me the return was handled by Ebuyer.com initially because I was in the 28-day return window, then I had to call ASUS, then I had to email Ebuyer with the RMA number and I got sent a shipping box plus a replacement N7. So it wasn't terrible but it'll probably depend on who you have to deal with first. I'd go with the Amazon 30-day return first.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
My 6 week old nexus just had its screen crack when I pushed the power button. It literally snapped all the way across from The left to the right and now the touchscreen is completely non-responsive. I'm really concerned about the screen issues now, partly because I helped my parents secure a pair of nexus 7's to take back to Scotland as presents....

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

illectro posted:

My 6 week old nexus just had its screen crack when I pushed the power button. It literally snapped all the way across from The left to the right and now the touchscreen is completely non-responsive. I'm really concerned about the screen issues now, partly because I helped my parents secure a pair of nexus 7's to take back to Scotland as presents....

IIRC that was an ASUS QC problem affecting a proportion of units in the earlier runs where the screws on one of the edges were tightened too hard, stressing the glass and leading to imminent failure. I recall people on XDA actually having reasonable success getting it repaired under warranty by ASUS since they appear to be aware of the problem. Even if you get someone difficult, stating that you've read about the issue online/pressing that they should take it in and look for a point of impact and you should be fine.

In the case of your parents N7's, you could always check the SSN number on the the label on the box. If it starts with "C80"(August) or "C90"(September) the chances of build quality problems relating to the screen are much lower since ASUS modified their process (with the most apparent change being that they changed the screw arrangement/removed some). And even if they aren't newer run N7s, I don't think the stressed glass defect was all that common compared to to the squishy/creaky corner. Though I definitely remember it happening to a guy in this thread during launch week.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

If you're thinking about getting a Nexus 7, you might want to wait. I'm guessing they'll drop the price of the 16GB to the former price of the 8GB, and make the 8GB half the price of the 32GB.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vagrancy posted:

If you're thinking about getting a Nexus 7, you might want to wait. I'm guessing they'll drop the price of the 16GB to the former price of the 8GB, and make the 8GB half the price of the 32GB.

Oh good, my used 16gb N7 gets here Wednesday.

Granted, it only cost me $175 shipped, so I can't complain too much.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Can some one who has a 16GB Nexus 7 and is not afraid of doing a factory reset try something for me?

Download this and run a full test.

Next, copy files to your nexus until you have less than 3GB free space.

Now run the benchmark again.

Note if your read and write speeds have changed.

Finally, delete the files you copied on to the tablet and run the bench mark one more time.

If your benchmark had gotten worse when you had less than 3GB of space, did it get better when you deleted the files?

There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) who are experience ridiculous slow downs once the tablet has had less than 3GB of free space, and performance doesn't improve until the tablet is factory reset

I am hoping that someone on here can test the above steps for me so I can get some feel of if this is a universal problem that is repeatable or if there is something wrong with my tablet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vagrancy posted:

Hmm... wondering if I should just wait for the 32GB or grab the 16GB for cheap now.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Lowen SoDium posted:

Can some one who has a 16GB Nexus 7 and is not afraid of doing a factory reset try something for me?

Finally, delete the files you copied on to the tablet and run the bench mark one more time.

If your benchmark had gotten worse when you had less than 3GB of space, did it get better when you deleted the files?

There seem to be a lot of people (myself included) who are experience ridiculous slow downs once the tablet has had less than 3GB of free space, and performance doesn't improve until the tablet is factory reset

I am hoping that someone on here can test the above steps for me so I can get some feel of if this is a universal problem that is repeatable or if there is something wrong with my tablet.

You know I had noticed the last couple days quite a bit of a slowdown. Looks like I just crossed the 3gb free mark too.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hmm... wondering if I should just wait for the 32GB or grab the 16GB for cheap now.

I'm wondering if I can unload my 16GB model for close to what I paid for it (£199) so I can pick up the 32GB version. I'm also wondering if I really need to.

e: considering these recent posts about free space, I'm thinking it would be a good thing to upgrade.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

blugu64 posted:

You know I had noticed the last couple days quite a bit of a slowdown. Looks like I just crossed the 3gb free mark too.

If this only happens with the 16GB model, what if it happens with the supposed 32GB model?

Is anyone with the 8GB having these problems or is it just the higher storage model?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

If this only happens with the 16GB model, what if it happens with the supposed 32GB model?

Is anyone with the 8GB having these problems or is it just the higher storage model?

I'm sitting at 3.3 gigs free on my 16gig 7 right now. It's still running the same as the day I first turned it on. I'll run some of those tests and report back shortly.

I'm no stranger to factory resetting Android devices. :v:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Honestly I only noticed it in chrome, and when downloading podcasts. I started noticing that when downloading largeish podcasts it slowed down (throughput) to an inordinate degree, I was honestly going to start poking around the router to see if that was the issue, even though no other devices had any problems. That test showed my write speed at .41MB/s so thanks for doing my homework for me :)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Before (3.34 gigs free)

After (2.93 gigs free)

I'm not really noticing any slow downs, Chrome or otherwise.

Edit: I noticed Chrome was slowing down a few days ago but realized I had an old tab with a 12 meg jpg open on it. It was fine after closing it (mobile Chrome has never liked huge images)

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 8, 2012

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

You might already be experiencing the issue, honestly it's not that bad, aside from when you're downloading a largish file. Check out the write speed results posted on this xda thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1808952

quote:

UPDATE: I've just finally got AndroBench installed, here are the horrific results.
MICRO
SEQ RD: 17.83 MB/s
SEQ WR: 0.56 MB/s
RND RD: 1548.85 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 33.0 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 1.36 TPS
Update: 3.29 TPS
Delete: 3.17 TPS

UPDATE2: After a full wipe I'm scoring this:
MICRO
SEQ RD: 12.29 MB/s
SEQ WR: 7.8 MB/s
RND RD: 753.66 IOPS(4K)
RND WR: 74.12 IPOS(4K)

SQLite
Insert: 27.74 TPS
Update: 26.15 TPS
Delete: 28.92 TPS

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's possible but I'm not sure it's anything I've seen while using the tablet. The only huge files I have or download are podcasts and I have those set to auto download at midnight when I'm asleep.

:shrug:

Edit: Deleted those extra files I put on and I just experienced my first ever hard lock :lol::lol:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's possible but I'm not sure it's anything I've seen while using the tablet. The only huge files I have or download are podcasts and I have those set to auto download at midnight when I'm asleep.

:shrug:

Edit: Deleted those extra files I put on and I just experienced my first ever hard lock :lol::lol:

What program do you use to download those podcasts, if I may ask?

Also, it sounds like all 16 GB Nexus 7 may have some type of problem with lock up or slow downs when the storage is low. I wonder if it will extend to the 32 GB if/when it comes.

It sounds like the 32 GB will only be a spec bump, no other changes.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

What program do you use to download those podcasts, if I may ask?

Pocket Casts.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Before (3.34 gigs free)

After (2.93 gigs free)

I'm not really noticing any slow downs, Chrome or otherwise.

Edit: I noticed Chrome was slowing down a few days ago but realized I had an old tab with a 12 meg jpg open on it. It was fine after closing it (mobile Chrome has never liked huge images)

It's write speeds dropped a lot. About the same I was seeing in my own test. Also, look at the difference in the Market and Browser test. There is a serious problem here that Google needs to address.

The first symptom I noticed was Chrome running a lot slower and freezing up a lot. Also, anytime I did something that brought the keyboard, the whole tablet would freeze for a a second or 2. Honestly, on the whole, all system responsiveness was in the toilet.

edit: I just finished doing a complete re-imaging of the tablet using the Nexus 7 tool kit and restored all my apps and data (but not my music or TV shows) and it's running like new again.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 8, 2012

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Vagrancy posted:

In the case of your parents N7's, you could always check the SSN number on the the label on the box. If it starts with "C80"(August) or "C90"(September) the chances of build quality problems relating to the screen are much lower since ASUS modified their process (with the most apparent change being that they changed the screw arrangement/removed some). And even if they aren't newer run N7s, I don't think the stressed glass defect was all that common compared to to the squishy/creaky corner. Though I definitely remember it happening to a guy in this thread during launch week.

My parent's are C70's so I guess they're doomed :)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Do you need an internet connection to play movies from Google Play?

I was on a flight yesterday and tried to play "Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon" that came preloaded (I thought) on my N7. Got a "no internet connection found" error.

Seems a bit dumb... what am I missing? The video played fine at my house, which obviously has internet, so do I need to download it or something?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You have to make sure it's pinned for it to play offline. I don't think it's pinned by default.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it really a good idea to wait for the 32GB Nexus 7 if I can get the 16GB for the price of the 8GB right now?

I'm not exactly sure if I should wait or not. Anyone with the 16 care to weigh in on the space and if its enough for most things?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is it really a good idea to wait for the 32GB Nexus 7 if I can get the 16GB for the price of the 8GB right now?

I'm not exactly sure if I should wait or not. Anyone with the 16 care to weigh in on the space and if its enough for most things?

I haven't been hurting on space but I'm pretty good about pinning and unpinning my music. Not much of a mobile movie person either. Still have a grip of games installed though.

13.5 gigs free out of the box.
10 gigs free when my apps are installed.
I rotate music 5 gigs at a time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I haven't been hurting on space but I'm pretty good about pinning and unpinning my music. Not much of a mobile movie person either. Still have a grip of games installed though.

13.5 gigs free out of the box.
10 gigs free when my apps are installed.
I rotate music 5 gigs at a time.

Hmm...

I'd mostly use it for a few games (which I don't really play much of anyway). Some games I'd probably install would be The Dark Knight Rises, Plague Inc, Angry Birds Space, Broken Sword, probably Dead Space and Shadowgun. I'm not sure if that'd obliterate the space or not.

I know how Chrome can destroy space on my Nexus S (it currently has 64MB so far but I'm sure it could be more if I never kept an eye on it).

I'd also use it for Out of Milk, checking the forums with Awful, roaming the internet on Chrome, maybe magazines (probably not), maybe some podcasts and books.

I'm not sure about movies, really. I don't really care about Transformers, but I'd probably put 2 movies and delete when I'm done.

With all of this...maybe I'd hit 5GB?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hmm...

I'd mostly use it for a few games (which I don't really play much of anyway). Some games I'd probably install would be The Dark Knight Rises, Plague Inc, Angry Birds Space, Broken Sword, probably Dead Space and Shadowgun. I'm not sure if that'd obliterate the space or not.

I know how Chrome can destroy space on my Nexus S (it currently has 64MB so far but I'm sure it could be more if I never kept an eye on it).

I'd also use it for Out of Milk, checking the forums with Awful, roaming the internet on Chrome, maybe magazines (probably not), maybe some podcasts and books.

I'm not sure about movies, really. I don't really care about Transformers, but I'd probably put 2 movies and delete when I'm done.

With all of this...maybe I'd hit 5GB?

This is with a grip of large games installed and no music.

You'll be fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is with a grip of large games installed and no music.

You'll be fine.

That's not too bad. Yah, I'll just pick up the 16GB then. I barely use 50% on my phone's 1GB for apps. The other 13GB just is barely made a dent.

Thanks!

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I'm looking for a case for my tf700.

The main feature I need I guess is something that lets me connect the keyboard dock without removing the tablet from the case. But I don't want a combo case, that seems to defeat the point of carrying around a super slim tablet. Oh and it needs a hand strap. Any recommendations?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
I have a Nexus 7 with the screen flicker issue that I bought from Sears at the end of July, so I'm way out of the 30 day exchange period. Somehow I never noticed the flickering until recently. Is it at all worth it to try going through the Asus RMA process?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Some analyst confirms a 10 inch nexus tablet w/ samsung (and also $99 tablet):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57528352-94/google-to-co-brand-10-inch-nexus-tablet-with-samsung/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Fister posted:

Some analyst confirms a 10 inch nexus tablet w/ samsung (and also $99 tablet):

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57528352-94/google-to-co-brand-10-inch-nexus-tablet-with-samsung/
Holy poo poo, hope this is true.

quote:

The 2,560x1,600 display will have a PPI (pixels per inch) of about 299
gently caress the $99 tablet, I want WQXGA. It'd better have a kickass GPU to push all those pixels.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Is it at all worth it to try going through the Asus RMA process?

It all depends if you think the flickering is bothering you enough to be without your tablet for up to a few days. I returned mine (in the UK) within the 28-day window offered by the retailer, see my post earlier on this page for what I had to do to get a new one.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

krushgroove posted:

It all depends if you think the flickering is bothering you enough to be without your tablet for up to a few days. I returned mine (in the UK) within the 28-day window offered by the retailer, see my post earlier on this page for what I had to do to get a new one.

How much trouble was it to deal with Asus directly?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I was on the phone with them for about 2 minutes - the guy asked what the trouble was, I told him about the flickering and he gave me the Asus authorization number to pass onto the retailer. Again, I don't know how it'll work if you're out of warranty, plus I'm in the UK so as always 'YMMV'.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.slashgear.com/a-samsung-nexus-10-wont-solve-googles-tablet-problem-09251053/

Found a pretty decent article about how, if Google does make a 10" Nexus, it'll do nothing more than show how badly Android needs tablet apps.

They mention that the Nexus 7 is fine because it's just big enough to not need to worry about stretching phone apps, but the Nexus 10 would just look bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/09/google-announces-the-android-4-1-2-update-being-released-to-aosp-today/

Aside from being released to AOSP just now, 4.1.2 has already started its gradual OTA roll out to the Nexus 7 apparently.