Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

:stare:

I think this is pretty cool actually.
But $350 ... come on ... :suicide:

Well, it IS pretty big, and it might be made with really nice materials. Plus it's restricted to 1000, so there's the rarity element.

Zedd posted:

BTW, I reckon it is time we merge this and the spoiler thread into a general one.
Most rage in both seems to have died down, people seem to be okay within me3 again and it can turn into a regular game thread right now.

'Okay with ME3' is a stretch, but I do agree they should be merged. Spoilers won't be such an issue after 7 months. Only question is, what should the new title be?

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

BreakAtmo posted:

Only question is, what should the new title be?

Mass Effect Megathread: shut up about the ending already

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Just started playing ME3 so I read a bit of the intro and didn't see this answered:

I heard the original ending was bad (hurr hurr), should I download the DLC ending before I finish the game or does it not matter?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Just started playing ME3 so I read a bit of the intro and didn't see this answered:

I heard the original ending was bad (hurr hurr), should I download the DLC ending before I finish the game or does it not matter?

Definitely download it. It's... an improvement. How much it improves varies with different people.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Yeah most people who didn't finish the game until after the extended cut came out wind up posting something to the effect of "I don't see what the fuss was all about the ending wasn't that bad." In my opinion the extended cut ups the quality from so incompetent I can't begin to understand what the hell they were thinking to "good enough I guess". It's still a weak ending to a great series but it's not so bad that I feel awful. Also it's free so get it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lagomorphic posted:

Yeah most people who didn't finish the game until after the extended cut came out wind up posting something to the effect of "I don't see what the fuss was all about the ending wasn't that bad."

Still, people have posted in both threads about friends who played the game for the first time with the EC, and their reaction was “poo poo, this used to be WORSE?" Have there been many widespread polls done on thoughts regarding the EC?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Just getting into ME3 having not played 1 and 2 - it seems fun but not exactly my cup of tea. The story seems to move too much on a rail, it feels like 60-70% graphic novel/movie with brief action sequences interspersed. I was looking for a shooter with bigger more open levels to explore a bit more freely in between cutscenes etc. I understand that the ME series is much more of a scripted, story driven game than what I'm used to though.

How much do I really miss out on not playing the first two? Does it matter that much? Do I derive profound insights into my character that I wouldn't have otherwise?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Zwabu posted:

Just getting into ME3 having not played 1 and 2 - it seems fun but not exactly my cup of tea. The story seems to move too much on a rail, it feels like 60-70% graphic novel/movie with brief action sequences interspersed. I was looking for a shooter with bigger more open levels to explore a bit more freely in between cutscenes etc. I understand that the ME series is much more of a scripted, story driven game than what I'm used to though.

How much do I really miss out on not playing the first two? Does it matter that much? Do I derive profound insights into my character that I wouldn't have otherwise?

Frankly, playing ME3 first is an awful idea. The first two games contain a massive amount of plot, world-building and, most importantly, character development. ME3 is a vastly better game when you've played the first two, not to say there won't also be inconsistencies that may annoy you.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Zwabu posted:

Get Mass Effect 2 and get the interactive graphic novel DLC thing that lets you carry forward a bunch of choices from Mass Effect 1 without going through the slog of actually playing it.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
I do find it interesting if someone plays ME3 first, then goes back to the previous ones to get a better insight of things. Not sure if the endings would prevent that (probably not, but still).

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Epi Lepi posted:

Get Mass Effect 2 and get the interactive graphic novel DLC thing that lets you carry forward a bunch of choices from Mass Effect 1 without going through the slog of actually playing it.

Worst advice ever.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, it IS pretty big, and it might be made with really nice materials. Plus it's restricted to 1000, so there's the rarity element.

They would make more, but there's barely enough element zero for the 1000.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Epi Lepi posted:

No, actually, get ME1 and start with that right away, as it has by far the best plot in the entire series.

Also starting this trilogy with anything other than ME1 is like grabbing an 800 page novel and just whipping it open at some random page half way in and starting to read it from there.

It's a terrible, terrible idea.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Zwabu posted:

To add a little to what the others have said: starting out with ME3 essentially means you won't know what the hell is going on, who everyone is, and what the significance is of various major plot points. Moreover, unless you use someone else's imported save game, ME3 will assume that quite a lot of characters from the previous games have died. Although it won't really cause you to miss out on content, it generally does make for a much less memorable experience, and it severely limits your choices when it comes to resolving several key conflicts.

So on the whole, you'd be better off going through the first two games (or at least ME2) before tackling ME3. You might actually find ME1 to be closer to what you're looking for, too; it allows for much more leisurely exploration of large indoor or outdoor areas, and can be played like a more traditional shooter, except with an overheating mechanic instead of ammo. The downsides are that the environments are much more sparsely decorated than in the following games, the numerous non-plot planets you can land on are all of the "big barren heightmapped area" variety, and the combat is not sophisticated at all. Even so, you may find it to be pleasantly different from its sequels, and everything's punctuated by some of the finest moments in the entire series.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Zwabu posted:

there's nothing to say then go and play the others, then come back.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Worst advice ever.

The original guy seemed like he wanted a shooter in ME3, and since the gunplay is loving horrendous in ME1 I figured he'd be better off just skipping it. ME1 has a pretty good plot, but it's the least fun game to play. Honestly I like ME2 best out of the series on all counts.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Every time past my first runthrough in ME1 I did the Mako .ini tweak to get all of the experience and played it on the easiest difficulty.

Seemenaked
Nov 19, 2003

...but girls already have a vagina between their legs, so they don't gotta trick anyone...

Epi Lepi posted:

The original guy seemed like he wanted a shooter in ME3, and since the gunplay is loving horrendous in ME1 I figured he'd be better off just skipping it. ME1 has a pretty good plot, but it's the least fun game to play. Honestly I like ME2 best out of the series on all counts.

Surely you are joking, right? ME1 has the drat mako which makes it way cooler! I'm sorry but ME2 and ME3 don't come anywhere near the level of exploration that you can achieve in ME1. And the random thresher maws were freakin' awesome. Why they got ride of the mako is beyond my levels of reasoning. I loved the actual exploration and not just launching drat probes every which way. If you're gonna get into the series do it the right way, from the start. Mass Effect is one of those series you really can't miss, it's story the visuals and dialogue and gameplay all just scream epic.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

skoolmunkee posted:

Please god, this. I would have suggested THE ENDS WERE BAD, GET OVER IT: IT'S BEEN SIX MONTHS NOW AND YOU SAD FUCKS ARE STILL PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT IT A DOZEN TIMES A DAY? but I guess that it's a tad too long. Just a tad.

I mean hell, it pretty much bummed us all out, sure, but life's too loving short to dwell on it obsessively like those freaks in the spoiler thread seem to.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Elysiume posted:

Every time past my first runthrough in ME1 I did the Mako .ini tweak to get all of the experience and played it on the easiest difficulty.

Super easy mode is the only way to get through that game after the first time. I'm on Xbox though so no .ini tweaks for me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So after beating the game shortly after its release I uninstalled it and decided against a sexing play through. This was before the EC. Just a few days ago, I reinstalled and downloaded Leviathan but gently caress is it hard to get back into the game knowing the ending.

I ended up firing up multiplayer - something I neglected the first time around - and I'm really liking it. Are any goons still playing it? Is there a separate thread (looked through the first few pages of Games and didn't see anything)? I haven't gone higher than silver yet but have had good luck with my Spectre packs and have been blowing poo poo up with my N7 Demolisher.

I hope I can get into Leviathan and take it through to the ending...I would like to have a slightly less offensive poo poo taste in my mouth than I had originally.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

rio posted:

So after beating the game shortly after its release I uninstalled it and decided against a sexing play through. This was before the EC. Just a few days ago, I reinstalled and downloaded Leviathan but gently caress is it hard to get back into the game knowing the ending.

I ended up firing up multiplayer - something I neglected the first time around - and I'm really liking it. Are any goons still playing it? Is there a separate thread (looked through the first few pages of Games and didn't see anything)? I haven't gone higher than silver yet but have had good luck with my Spectre packs and have been blowing poo poo up with my N7 Demolisher.

I hope I can get into Leviathan and take it through to the ending...I would like to have a slightly less offensive poo poo taste in my mouth than I had originally.

Multiplayer thread is here and yeah, there are quite a few goons still playing it. In fact, we're all hyped as gently caress because of the new DLC coming out on Tuesday. There's a bunch of class builds linked in the OP and if you post your manifest people usually offer suggestions about what to equip your class with.

vv :smug:

Cheap Vodka fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 5, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

rio posted:

The MP thread can be found here. And as for the ending, well, you can always find videos of the EC on Youtube if you really can't bring yourself to play through the game's final stages again.

EDIT: curses !! beaten again !!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Epi Lepi posted:

Ah. Yeah I suppose. But you can just make a ridiculous Adept or Vanguard in ME1. It is amazing!

I also agree that ME2 is the best overall. Everything about the game is loving solid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I was randomly wondering if with the re-release of the trilogy you can romance Kaiden in 1 as ManShep. You could be total :gay::shepface: from the get-go.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

skoolmunkee posted:

Mass Effect Megathread: We've been mad about the endings for six months, but we'll still drop four hundo on a Reaper paperweight

Will we ever see an ME3 coloring book?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

I was randomly wondering if with the re-release of the trilogy you can romance Kaiden in 1 as ManShep. You could be total :gay::shepface: from the get-go.

The trilogy is just the three separate games repackaged in one box. It might include some performance or bugfix patches related to compiling it on PS3, but to the best of my knowledge no content is changed.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Bongo Bill posted:

The trilogy is just the three separate games repackaged in one box. It might include some performance or bugfix patches related to compiling it on PS3, but to the best of my knowledge no content is changed.

I'm going to be curious how they get ME1 onto the PS3 at all, it barely works on the Xbox and that's much more lenient with memory usage.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Really Pants posted:

Mass Effect Megathread: We've been mad about the endings for six months, but we'll still drop four hundo on a Reaper paperweight

Will we ever see an ME3 coloring book?

Nah. That would take more love than I got. I might do some kind of project eventually but I don't have anything in mind.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Juc66 posted:

I'm going to be curious how they get ME1 onto the PS3 at all, it barely works on the Xbox and that's much more lenient with memory usage.
Would it be possible, you think, to have it use the ME3 engine without recoding the whole thing?

EDIT: Altogether unrelated, but I just haphazardly stumbled across something rather endearingly abominable that I thought I should share.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 6, 2012

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

FronzelNeekburm posted:

The important lesson to learn from this hullabaloo is if you're going to present people with a choice of ending, at least make it feel like there's some difference between the options. Otherwise, you might as well spend your effort on just one good ending.

I think, with better planning, they could've easily pulled off something that included enough "choice" to satisfy people, even if it was illusory, but the people who say the Extended Cut satisfied them show just how little Bioware really needed to add for an acceptable video game ending.

It's not like it's never been done before. The Fallout and The Witcher games have done multiple endings very well. Yes, it's more work to make completely different branches like in those games, but it's not rocket science.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Sombrerotron posted:

Would it be possible, you think, to have it use the ME3 engine without recoding the whole thing?

EDIT: Altogether unrelated, but I just haphazardly stumbled across something rather endearingly abominable that I thought I should share.

They'd probably have to remake a lot of the levels if they used the new engine, I remember an estimate of how much work that'd take from a long while back that puts that into the realm of unlikely events (cool if it happens though)

There's some VERY good programmers who work as part of the Mass Effect team though, so there might have been some magic they pulled off with the engine, at the very least if they use the old one they've a lot of ancient bugs to fix.

It'll be neat to know what they ended up doing to get it out the door.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sentinel Red posted:

Please god, this. I would have suggested THE ENDS WERE BAD, GET OVER IT: IT'S BEEN SIX MONTHS NOW AND YOU SAD FUCKS ARE STILL PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT IT A DOZEN TIMES A DAY? but I guess that it's a tad too long. Just a tad.

I mean hell, it pretty much bummed us all out, sure, but life's too loving short to dwell on it obsessively like those freaks in the spoiler thread seem to.

Hey I've been ignoring this thread for months but I'm still mad about the endings and it's heartwarming to see that other people are still just as angry as I am :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^^ Seriously. At this point Dragon Age 3 would have to branch like the motherfucking lovechild of The Last Express and Alpha Protocol to get Bioware back into karmic balance.

Sombrerotron posted:

All three titles are Unreal Engine 3 games, so...

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Juc66 posted:

They'd probably have to remake a lot of the levels if they used the new engine, I remember an estimate of how much work that'd take from a long while back that puts that into the realm of unlikely events (cool if it happens though)

There's some VERY good programmers who work as part of the Mass Effect team though, so there might have been some magic they pulled off with the engine, at the very least if they use the old one they've a lot of ancient bugs to fix.

It'll be neat to know what they ended up doing to get it out the door.
I don't really expect they'll do anything but a straight port, possibly with some optimisation to improve performance, but I'd love to see how ME1 would look with ME3's (or even ME2's) tech. As long as they don't apply the same blue tint/desaturation filter, though - I like colour in my games!

NihilCredo posted:

All three titles are Unreal Engine 3 games, so...
I am well-aware of that, but I thought it might be the case that the changes made to the engine's code over the years are so extensive or so fundamental that you can't simply copy-paste everything into ME1. And given Juc66's answer to my question, that does seem to be the case.

EDIT: Although I will concede that remaking levels is something different than recoding.

EDIT 2: I missed this.

richardfun posted:

It's not like it's never been done before. The Fallout and The Witcher games have done multiple endings very well. Yes, it's more work to make completely different branches like in those games, but it's not rocket science.
As far as I know, The Witcher only has one ending as such; what's impressive about it is the significantly different paths you can take through the game.

Sombrerotron fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Oct 6, 2012

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sombrerotron posted:

As far as I know, The Witcher only has one ending as such; what's impressive about it is the significantly different paths you can take through the game.
This is true, but the Witcher2 does both.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Does Tali appear in ME3 if you go through ME2 without recruiting her at all? Every stupid wiki and forum post only talks about her showing up if she survives the suicide mission.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 6, 2012

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If you don't recruit her, she's dead because you didn't save her from the Geth on Haestrom.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Excellent, thanks. One less thing I have to worry about (not) screwing up.

Why is it harder to do badly in these games than to do well? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I can't believe, while playing through ME1 and 2 again, that it's only just now occured to me that Queen Myrrah's voice in Gears of War isn't altered, that's just Carolyn Seymour's natural diction and enunciation.

I knew her from British television shows and for being Dr. Chakwas and a couple of bit players through Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2 and Dragon Age, but I'd never made the Gears of War connection before.

• Locked thread