Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Whalley posted:

I had a customer the other day who bought one of these then came in and informed me that my expresso don't got much crema, and since he bought one of them verismo starbucker machines, he gets to make expresso out of pods that gives him six inches of crema.

:sigh:

That's a joke, right? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Whalley posted:

I had a customer the other day who bought one of these then came in and informed me that my expresso don't got much crema, and since he bought one of them verismo starbucker machines, he gets to make expresso out of pods that gives him six inches of crema.

Dat crema.

:barf:

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
Kerrygold grass fed Irish butter tastes great in coffee. I mix about a tablespoon in every cup. Only the salted kind is available in my stores, but that's fine. Also, a little bit of cinnamon sprinkled into the coffee grounds makes the coffee taste like Christmas.
Someday I hope to buy nutmeg and cardamom seeds to add to the mix.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
You put butter in your coffee?

:what:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Baratza Encore Refurbs are in stock. I don't know how many of them, but the listing is still there after I bought mine earlier today.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Doh004 posted:

You put butter in your coffee?

:what:

people do this, its called bulletproof coffee....

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

i prefer it with a blend of butter and coconut oil.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
The bulletproof coffee thing seems like a big marketing ploy. Regardless butter is an awful lot like creamer and it makes your lips shiny and taste good.
Coconut oil is so expensive that I can't justify buying it. I have extracted coconut milk from mature coconuts and had a very mediocre experience mixing it with coffee.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

crikster posted:

The bulletproof coffee thing seems like a big marketing ploy. Regardless butter is an awful lot like creamer and it makes your lips shiny and taste good.
Coconut oil is so expensive that I can't justify buying it. I have extracted coconut milk from mature coconuts and had a very mediocre experience mixing it with coffee.

"Dave Asprey is a Silicon Valley investor, computer security expert, and entrepreneur who spent 15 years and $250,000 to hack his own biology. He upgraded his brain by >20 IQ points, lowered his biological age, and lost 100 lbs without using calories or exercise. "

Should say enough about this. He claims Starbucks has "toxins" in their coffee (of course no one ever defines what the gently caress a toxin is when they mention it but OOOH SOUNDS SCAAAARRY)

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

swagger like us posted:

Should say enough about this. He claims Starbucks has "toxins" in their coffee (of course no one ever defines what the gently caress a toxin is when they mention it but OOOH SOUNDS SCAAAARRY)
I looked at another article, and he has beef with dry-processed beans. He says they might get mold. I'm no food scientist, nor someone with much common sense about food, so I can't comment.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

He's suggesting you blend 1/3 stick of butter into a mug of coffee. Jesus christ.

the comments posted:

Just got back from a Caribbean cruise. Stuffed myself all week. All the lobster, steak, eggs, pork, chicken, prime rib, etc. I could eat. And I got some stares for putting the butter in coffee -- I used at least 6-8 pats of butter every day.

Did not do much exercise, either. Mostly caught up on reading & sitting in a hot tub.

Lost one pound.

:)

He seriously has people thinking they can lose weight and get healthy by eating what the gently caress ever, but being sure to add pure butter to their diet.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2012

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you have a good leptin response and don't overeat, then yeah you can pretty much eat whatever you want.

Moreso if you're eating ketogenic, which he certainly seems to be.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Hypnolobster posted:

If you have a good leptin response and don't overeat, then yeah you can pretty much eat whatever you want.

Moreso if you're eating ketogenic, which he certainly seems to be.

What? No. Calories are still calories. Certain things effect appetite and maybe a little metabolism but in the end, if you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, if you eat under, you'll lose weight.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

swagger like us posted:

What? No. Calories are still calories. Certain things effect appetite and maybe a little metabolism but in the end, if you eat too many calories you'll gain weight, if you eat under, you'll lose weight.

Well he's right that you can eat whatever you want, but you can't eat as much of it as you want.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Yeah, putting butter in coffee is loving stupid.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

swagger like us posted:

Calories are not just calories. Do not say this again because it is completely wrong. The body processes different types of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates COMPLETELY differently based on many different factors. Composition of the food, time of day (morning, post workout/pre workout, bed time), and combination of foods together all DRASTICALLY change how the body utilizes and stores food.

Do not ever say a calorie is a calorie again. It is terrible advice for anyone and everyone.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > The Coffee Thread: Butter and Baconfat coffee made unironically itt

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Hey, hey, don't bring bacon fat into this

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

traveling midget posted:

Hey, hey, don't bring bacon fat into this

That is like Godwin's law for goonfoodthings. Goondwin, if you will.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Oh look, a ketard :allears:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Well, he lost weight without using calories. If you don't have any calories, you'll certainly lose weight. :downs:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I've always appreciated that guy because I used to wonder what would happen if I min/maxed all the fats in my life for complete omega-fatty acid domination. Now I know that it leads to a kickin' rad combination of mania and baby-headed badsense.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today

Doh004 posted:

Yeah, putting butter in coffee is loving stupid.

I have a book for you to read, it's called Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Suess. Substitute eggs for butter and ham with coffee. It's a game changer, bro.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

crikster posted:

I have a book for you to read, it's called Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Suess. Substitute eggs for butter and ham with coffee. It's a game changer, bro.

Salsa Chicken would like to have a word with you.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The first time I start reading GWS and reading the coffee thread because there's nothing I love more than coffee and people are talking about putting goddamn BUTTER in coffee on the current page.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The first time I start reading GWS and reading the coffee thread because there's nothing I love more than coffee and people are talking about putting goddamn BUTTER in coffee on the current page.

For what it's worth, at least most of the people here are disgusted by it?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

King of Solomon posted:

For what it's worth, at least most of the people here are disgusted by it?

I know, there's good advice on the first few pages.
It's just funny that it would even be considered (And COCONUT OIL, too, jesus christ). It's like something you would joke about happening when goons make coffee but I was not expecting someone to actually come out and say it.

There was another thread about something fictional where a fat character demanded lard in his tea and it was like "Oh, that's laying on the fat jokes too hard, no one would ask for lard in their tea :cawg:" and welp

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I bought an Aeropress and Hario hand grinder a few weeks ago, and have been having a few issues with the taste of the resulting coffee.

I've found that the coffee I make tastes kinda sour, a bit tangy, a bit weak and generally pretty unpleasant. However, when I use store bought, pre-ground coffee, it tastes much, much better. This leads me to believe that it's something to do with my grinding, or the beans I'm using.

I've tried to mimic the same sort of consistency as the store bought ground coffee when I grind my beans; so it has particles roughly the size of sand. I've tried messing with the grind, making it finer and courser, but this hasn't really helped. I've had a couple of different bags of coffee, and have tried both espresso beans and beans for filter coffee but, again, it's not helped me produce a decent cup.

I typically use about 1.5 - 2 scoops of coffee, stir for ten seconds, then let it brew for about 45 seconds before plunging.

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? It's pretty annoying!

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Calories are not just calories. Do not say this again because it is completely wrong. The body processes different types of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates COMPLETELY differently based on many different factors. Composition of the food, time of day (morning, post workout/pre workout, bed time), and combination of foods together all DRASTICALLY change how the body utilizes and stores food.

Do not ever say a calorie is a calorie again. It is terrible advice for anyone and everyone.

Nope, not the general consensus of any registered dietician anywhere. But Im sure your crossfit coach knows so much about paleo and keto he must be right, look how thin and jacked he is.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

swagger like us posted:

Nope, not the general consensus of any registered dietician anywhere. But Im sure your crossfit coach knows so much about paleo and keto he must be right, look how thin and jacked he is.

Keep this stuff to YSSL. This thread's for hot brown water.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

watery... yet there's a smack of brown

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The coffee I put in my thermos tastes like poo poo when I drink it a few hours later. Can the little bit of ground sediment that gets into there really make it taste like poo poo? Certainly doesn't taste fresh.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

The coffee I put in my thermos tastes like poo poo when I drink it a few hours later. Can the little bit of ground sediment that gets into there really make it taste like poo poo? Certainly doesn't taste fresh.

Could be a few things.

Plastic lined thermoses can get off flavors and impart them onto anything you put into it. If I have to use a thermos/vacuum flask/travel mug, I prefer it to be metal or glass lined for this very reason.

All the crevices and corners in the lid area can harbor stale flavors and can impart awfulness, even if it's only a little bit. So get a toothbrush and some vinegar and go to town on that area to clean it thoroughly.

Yes, sediment can be over extracted if left in contact with coffee for too long, but that will usually present itself as bitterness not necessarily shittaste.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also did it have any form of milk product in it?

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Since a pot of coffee is supposed to go bad quickly, why would a thermos work better? I'm genuinely curious because I'm going to give it a try for work. I might have a 35-45 minute wait from brewing to drinking.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Since a pot of coffee is supposed to go bad quickly, why would a thermos work better? I'm genuinely curious because I'm going to give it a try for work. I might have a 35-45 minute wait from brewing to drinking.

Because it's sealed from the air and away from a heat source. The main reason brewed coffee gets "stale" quickly are those two factors.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

that Vai sound posted:

A pot of coffee goes bad quickly when it's sitting on a hot plate the whole time. If you pour it into a thermos, or brew directly into an insulated carafe, it will stay good for a lot longer.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I'm genuinely curious about upgrading my grinder...I have a cuisinart burr grinder that I bought a few years back for around 40 bucks. It seems to do a decent job for my French press and my CCD.

I've heard great things about the baratza encore refurb that I can get for 80 or 100 bucks (cant remember which). Am I going to notice any difference by upgrading? And if so, what kind of differences?

I'm just trying to see if its justifiable or not to spend the cash on it. I went ahead and bought some expensive filters based on the recommendations on this thread because one guy was saying anything else would taste like paper, and I noticed Zero difference in the taste between those and the store bought filters, so I'm a bit hesitant to spend the cash unless its justifiable.

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
I gave up coffee/caffeine, starting today :( The afternoon crash and drain is getting in the way of my productivity. Replacing with fresh chamomile, passion flower, a Greek mountain tea, and something weird called Ashwagandha tincture. Maybe this stuff helps your mellow. Maybe it tastes good with a teaspoon of lard. Other then that, I reckon Coffee withdrawals are merely psychosemantic and to normal people, no coffee is no big deal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

crikster posted:

Other then that, I reckon Coffee withdrawals are merely psychosemantic and to normal people, no coffee is no big deal.

You're thinking of psychosomatic, and they're not.

edit: Figures it's the guy who puts butter in his coffee...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

crikster posted:

I gave up coffee/caffeine, starting today :( The afternoon crash and drain is getting in the way of my productivity. Replacing with fresh chamomile, passion flower, a Greek mountain tea, and something weird called Ashwagandha tincture. Maybe this stuff helps your mellow. Maybe it tastes good with a teaspoon of lard. Other then that, I reckon Coffee withdrawals are merely psychosemantic and to normal people, no coffee is no big deal.

Please also give up posting stupid 'alternative health' poo poo ITT

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 5, 2012