Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Hey guys,

I work for a Japanese video game company. I do some 3D modelling work when there are projects, but we're a work for hire company mostly and we're dealing in domestic games, a lot of 2D stuff or porting of stuff, so there's not always a lot of 3D work needed. In the time im not doing 3D work, I help test bugs, and as I'm the only guy who speaks English at the company, sort out contracts and try to get us more work with companies abroad.

Its with this in mind that we're starting to branch out and start bringing foreign games to Japan and expand services within Japan, porting to other consoles, etc. iOS to VITA or something like that.

We went to TGS and there were a lot of mobile game developers, but as to be expected from TGS, it was mostly domestic. We're looking to go abroad and network with businesses in America and the UK and I'm wondering which expos in Europe or America are best for business networking.

As a developer and a modeler i'm very interested in GDC, I've never been (I'm British), and think it would help me personally, but I'm not sure if its the correct venue to be going to, in the hopes of checking new games and potentially forging friendships with companies or offering our services to them.

What do you think? What expo from a business standpoint makes sense to go to?

What about E3? Or the expo in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I would say SIGGRAPH. GDC is supposed to be better than E3 but things have changed a lot over the years.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything like this for Maya?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sigma 6 posted:

I would say SIGGRAPH. GDC is supposed to be better than E3 but things have changed a lot over the years.

Can anyone tell me if there is anything like this for Maya?

SIGGRAPH isn't principally a game conference? Whereas GDC is literally a developer-centric conference where a number of business deals are done every day? GDC is primarily a business-to-business conference, with E3 being a business-to-consumer conference but still a place where a ton of developers are. SIGGRAPH is focused on the entire 3d community at large.

GDC and then E3 are probably your best bets for finding US developers (They attract international people as well obviously, but if you're chasing a specific country/market that isn't the US you might possibly do better elsewhere). There is a game jobs thread in the Games forum that would probably give you better answers than this general 3d thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

concerned mom posted:

To make them watertight?
I guess haha. We're doing a low-poly gun model with no normal maps or anything so it seems like kind of a waste of polygons.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
That's even worse. Why make low poly watertight, it's a waste of triangles unless you're working on an engine that needs watertight and pretty much none of them do! He *might* be trying to teach you the correct way to weld and cut vertices so they display right, but frankly its the wrong way to show you if he is.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It could also be for practice - you'd get pretty quick at shifting verts around without breaking the shape if you did that on all your early stuff. When doing bigger projects you don't have to, but it would help you work faster in the long run when you get quick at it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

concerned mom posted:

That's even worse. Why make low poly watertight, it's a waste of triangles unless you're working on an engine that needs watertight and pretty much none of them do! He *might* be trying to teach you the correct way to weld and cut vertices so they display right, but frankly its the wrong way to show you if he is.
I think he's just not great at modeling. I'm still learning a lot from him about all the tools and idiosyncrasies that Maya comes with, but it's annoying when he makes me worsify stuff I want to put in my portfolio. I think I'm just gonna not do it and pretend I forget if he mentions it again.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't worry about your portfolio right now, it's very much a learning process. Cubicle could definitely be right, it could be to teach you stuff that isn't immediately obvious. It might be worth sort of covertly asking him.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's one reason why I'm glad I learned modeling in a film program. It taught me a lot of neatness things that I'm both glad I know and glad when I can ignore them in games modeling.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Hey guys, I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to model the pages of a book like this in 3DS Max:

This is a much older book than what I have in mind, I need mine to look freshly printed with maybe a folded corner or something. Anything pointing me in the right direction would be real helpful :kiddo:

I need it to be geometry because I'm going to be doing very, very close renders of a project I worked on.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What problems are you running into? I'd model the bulk of the pages as a solid block with a flattened noise map for displacing the outside edge (i.e. something scaled 1, 1, 0.01) to simulate pages, then put a few planes on top for the lifted up pages.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SynthOrange posted:

What problems are you running into? I'd model the bulk of the pages as a solid block with a flattened noise map for displacing the outside edge (i.e. something scaled 1, 1, 0.01) to simulate pages, then put a few planes on top for the lifted up pages.

Well I was trying to model the whole thing with geometry but I think I might have to give up on that pipe dream. I think the noise map idea will help a lot, thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's a quick test I whipped up, turning off edge smoothing. That's just a flattened block with a lot of height subdivisions, and slight x and z noise.

I mean you could model every single page and stack them and use flattened noise again on the edges to simulate some roughness, but unless you need to turn every single page, that seems excessive.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
That's much better than what I had going, I'll keep plugging away, thanks :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As for the loose top pages, most 3d packages will also have some sort of extrude or thickness modifier, so you can just model the pages as flat planes and give them a tiny bit of thickness with those, rather than trying to manipulate a whole bunch of closely placed, very flat blocks.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SynthOrange posted:

As for the loose top pages, most 3d packages will also have some sort of extrude or thickness modifier, so you can just model the pages as flat planes and give them a tiny bit of thickness with those, rather than trying to manipulate a whole bunch of closely placed, very flat blocks.

Yeah I was using Splines and Loft to get the loose pages to look right but they weren't very 'bendable' so I'll probably just switch to straight planes.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You could try an editable patch in max, gives you poly like elements with nice bezier handles for making curvy things. Nobody uses them much but I find them useful for certain things

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Just saw this the other night and it wasn't bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaT78i1x2M

A lot of talking heads / dry doc stuff but overall pretty inspirational. Only just made my first game for the SA gamedev contest recently and won a "most innovative" prize (yay!). Generally, I prefer the VFX side of things, but I grew up with a NES too and spent wayyy too much time beating the classics. Only stopped gaming when I started making 3d my fulltime job.

In any case, I wanted to ask you guys a very serious question:

Art Institute (who just laid off a TON of people - 65% of its teaching staff in one instance) has decided in its Goldman Sach's wisdom to remove Zbrush from the curriculum.

The word on high is that the entire school system is switching to mudbox instead, despite already having the (lifetime) zbrush licenses in a lot schools.

Can someone give me some advice how to reverse this? Already emailed someone at pixologic about it, since I figure AI is a pretty huge client to lose. It really blows that ALL Art Institute students are about to robbed of zbrush due to some corporate decision to save money, or make it easier on IT.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

sigma 6 posted:

due to some corporate decision to save money, or make it easier on IT.

If they already use max, maya or xsi then the figures involved in this might be astronomical.
Autodesk reps pretty much handed out copies of autocad to students before it was in major use, meaning when they graduated everyone who employed them ended up using autocad. It's a great way to increase future sales to firms and they're pretty aggressive about it.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 5, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah. I think they get the autodesk educational suite, which is very cheap. I imagine in bulk even more so.
Add to that, a lot of people coming from an autodesk background find mudbox much easier to use than zbrush. It is harder to find teachers who teach zbrush, AND zbrush certification still hasn't rolled out.

Apparently, IT also has problems with licensing because of lack of network licensing capabilities. So because of this, they have to license each workstation individually. That last part I am not sure about though.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Haha.. I had to do some of that this year [papers + books]

For books I'd do do a bunch of individually modeled papers,clone them then shuffle around each sheet.

If it's always open and a few pages are turning you can specifically model out and texture the hero pages, and the rest can be treated as a rough paper lump.

I had a do a few dozen flying paper/book paper and flipping paper shots, and I used houdini to procedurally generate and animate everything. I took 4 sheets of hero paper, modelled with slight thickness with slight size variations and unique textures and cloned/copy stamped the heck out of them.

Actually if anyone is interested I can do a little workflow demo with a hip file for houdini folks you can probably replicate the setup in max or maya.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 5, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I would like to see it. Still new to houdini, but always willing to learn.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Re: Zbrush

I'm sure that autodesk can be more friendly to large studios/organizations.

I find some designers like zbrush over mudbox and vice versa, but at most of the studios I've worked at over the years, mudbox fit in better into the pipeline, and it was easier to grab the ear of autodesk if you needed a rapid bug fix or custom development. Shell out enough $$$$$$ on support and you can get man months of development support on a tool or bugfix thats high priority.

The feeling I got from the much smaller team at pixelogic is harder to get them to do custom development or high priority bug fixes... thats what I've heard but I don't have personal experience with pixelogic.

That may not be the case for education but autodesk could have went "hey free software and support"...

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

sigma 6 posted:

Apparently, IT also has problems with licensing because of lack of network licensing capabilities. So because of this, they have to license each workstation individually. That last part I am not sure about though.

We have quite a heavy zbrush install here and historically that was true - every license was registered centrally based on a hardware ID with Pixologic's servers, meaning when an artist had a workstation replaced you could potentially run into nasty cases of "no more activations" - I remember our license situation was an absolute mess for the games division, who mostly use it.

On the plus side, the latest release supports a centralized license server internally with floating licenses. If I recall correctly, you need a minimum purchase of ten seats, but after that you're good.

We've still not rolled that out as we (read as: I) are terrible at IT...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

sigma 6 posted:

Just saw this the other night and it wasn't bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaT78i1x2M

A lot of talking heads / dry doc stuff but overall pretty inspirational. Only just made my first game for the SA gamedev contest recently and won a "most innovative" prize (yay!). Generally, I prefer the VFX side of things, but I grew up with a NES too and spent wayyy too much time beating the classics. Only stopped gaming when I started making 3d my fulltime job.

In any case, I wanted to ask you guys a very serious question:

Art Institute (who just laid off a TON of people - 65% of its teaching staff in one instance) has decided in its Goldman Sach's wisdom to remove Zbrush from the curriculum.

The word on high is that the entire school system is switching to mudbox instead, despite already having the (lifetime) zbrush licenses in a lot schools.

Can someone give me some advice how to reverse this? Already emailed someone at pixologic about it, since I figure AI is a pretty huge client to lose. It really blows that ALL Art Institute students are about to robbed of zbrush due to some corporate decision to save money, or make it easier on IT.

Wait, do you teach at AI-somewhere now instead of Westwood? Belated congrats on the upgrade!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Most of the really amazing stuff I see sculpted is done with ZBrush. They've also got much more presence on the web than Mudbox work. I've used both, and Zbrush definitely has Mudbox beat for features, and produces better normal maps. Also the plugins like UV Master are amazing.

I'd also be interested in seeing that "book creation" with Houdini thing. I use Maya and might have to do something like that one day, so it'd be helpful to know how.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sigma-X: Thanks. I work at two now actually but I don't consider it that much of an upgrade. I suspect most for profit schools all operate more or less the same way.

dotalchemy: Didn't know they offered any network licensing at all. I am sure the school has more than ten seats. Good to know.

Geared Hub: I think Mudbox was designed as Autodesk's (Skymatter's) answer to zbrush. Historically, they have always been playing catch up to Zbrush features. The only thing I really prefer Mudbox for is texturing, but even that is just a matter of taste.

Ccs: Not sure if I agree about the normal map thing. Xnormal has worked better for me recently, although Paul Gaboury told me "Zmapper is not coming back, zbrush's normal maps are fine, and they would rather focus on other features."

Check out the SIGGRAPH videos here for some of the new zbrush features. Danny Williams and Paul Gaboury are both very nice guys and it is always fun to watch them demo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Geared Hub: I think Mudbox was designed as Autodesk's (Skymatter's) answer to zbrush. Historically, they have always been playing catch up to Zbrush features. The only thing I really prefer Mudbox for is texturing, but even that is just a matter of taste.

Autodesk didn't design Mudbox. It was made by some guys from Weta who saw a need for it and then bought by Autodesk. Fun fact: I was in the grad program at Mississippi State with one of the founders, Andrew Camenisch!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mudbox seems like very sensible upgrades, gradual improvements to features and well rounded usage.

Zbrush keeps pulling out hilariously weird and unexpected poo poo every time there's a major upgrade and its always amazing to watch.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
As somebody who has a love/hate relationship with ZBrush, there is no way I could do the job I do as a Character Artist with Mudbox unless I liked being in Maya/Max all the time. Luckily with ZBrush I almost never have to go into Maya, and thank god for that because the modeling tools in Maya fuckin suck.

Considering Mudbox an upgrade coming from ZBrush is pretty naive in my opinion. There are just so many things you can do as an actual modeling program in ZBrush that you just can't do in Mudbox.

Art Institutes aren't know for being smart schools, just smart businesses that only want their students money and most don't give a poo poo about the success of the students. And if they do want them to be successful it's so they can bring them back and do lovely fuckin commercials about how if they didn't go to Art Institute they wouldn't be a professional or some poo poo.

Edit: I'm not talking about the instructors. I've heard of good instructors at AI schools. I'm talking about AI as a business and private school as a whole and their intentions.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 7, 2012

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bookchat. I recently had to animate fast flipping pages on a book rig which didn't let me copy/paste keys. :catstare:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

tuna posted:

Bookchat. I recently had to animate fast flipping pages on a book rig which didn't let me copy/paste keys. :catstare:

:smithicide:

Okay so I figured out that part of my problem was that my 'studio' setup scene I have for test rendering models somehow had all the lights set to normal shadow map instead of ray-traced so everything was really flat and dull, AKA I am an idiot. It's been a long time since I've done anything in 3D (stuck in a web design job for a long time) so I'm rusty as all hell.

I'm trying to put together a portfolio of my print work without spending a fortune on Large Format printing which is why this whole thing is happening.

Could I get some critique on these?

Full album here.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The presentation is a bit odd. If you're going to use these as portfolio pieces for your 3d work, you should just do straight prints and enlargements of detail, rather than photos of prints hung in a gallery setting. That could really confuse the issue, and you might end up getting questions about how you modelled the clips or went about DOF, etc. :v:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SynthOrange posted:

The presentation is a bit odd. If you're going to use these as portfolio pieces for your 3d work, you should just do straight prints and enlargements of detail, rather than photos of prints hung in a gallery setting. That could really confuse the issue, and you might end up getting questions about how you modelled the clips or went about DOF, etc. :v:

They aren't portfolio pieces for my 3D work, they're for my print work. A lot of my stuff is large (24x36"+) posters and whatnot and it's expensive to print, hang and photograph this stuff so I'm trying to use my (limited) 3D skills to save some money. I'm using DoF and other effects to hide my modelling skills :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, in that case, I've certainly seen worse print portfolios. :v: To be honest I never got the point of these kind of shots unless you're going for a position where you'll be producing stuff like this. Mockups of how they're actually going to be used just seem far more useful to me in a portfolio.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SynthOrange posted:

Oh, in that case, I've certainly seen worse print portfolios. :v: To be honest I never got the point of these kind of shots unless you're going for a position where you'll be producing stuff like this. Mockups of how they're actually going to be used just seem far more useful to me in a portfolio.

Well that's exactly it, I work a lot in print media so most of my work gets printed on the clients dime. Unfortunately, a lot of the stuff that agencies like to gawk at and hire you for is not the kind of stuff clients want so you end up stuck between a rock and a hard place. You need to show that you have the ability to carry something from concept through to print, but 90% of the stuff you've done this for is not really spectacular portfolio material and dropping $100+ dollars printing and mounting each poster/billboard adds up quickly.

Anyway, sorry if I'm annoying anyone with ~*Design Chat*~, I appreciate the help :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Now that I'm looking closer, the only things that bother me are in the mechaburger piece. You've probably overdone the paper texture a bit, and the paper clips arent casting any shadows or AO. I didnt spot the fact that it was a 3d render in the Kid A piece, so you've fooled me there!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Try and avoid full white for stuff like that, it's whats making the edges of the burger one look fake. pull it back to 230 or so instead of 255. A good general rule is to never use full white in CG, it fucks with gi and recieving shadows too much.
The 2 kid a shots you posted in this thread are the only ones i'd show as-is though, the rest need a little work. I like the method overall though :)

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

cubicle gangster posted:

Try and avoid full white for stuff like that, it's whats making the edges of the burger one look fake. pull it back to 230 or so instead of 255. A good general rule is to never use full white in CG, it fucks with gi and recieving shadows too much.
The 2 kid a shots you posted in this thread are the only ones i'd show as-is though, the rest need a little work. I like the method overall though :)

Interesting, I'll pull the curves in Photoshop, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Sorry about the lack of Houdini goodness this past weekened.

My License expired and I had to wait until today to get it renewed... :v: