Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy fucken christ. I wonder what they are doing to Belly, or has he joined them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I don't think there's a :gonk: big enough to describe that scene.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat. Well now we know what happened to him.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
And then Walter's lab has the Clapper. :laffo:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

alg posted:

JESUS CHRIST

:stonk::hf::stonk:

I kind of knew that was going to happen but it didn't make it any less "Holy gently caress!"

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
That was unsettling.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Okay, I missed the opening credits, and this is bugging me--is that Tom McBeath as dude that Etta tortured the gently caress out of?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Looks like they are collecting the Horcruxes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don't like to see complaining about product placement on the show, but you have to love that they've still found a way to do it in the post-apocalypse.

WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.
I was fully expecting Etta to shoot the loyalist in the back after she finished talking to Olivia.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

WhoIsBarryBostwick posted:

I was fully expecting Etta to shoot the loyalist in the back after she finished talking to Olivia.

Yeah same. I'm glad that thread had a positive conclusion, the Olivia v Etta tension earlier in the episode was uncomfortable. It was enough to make me wonder if that WAS Etta (were they ever reunited with her between waking in the hospital after the invasion event and ambering themselves?) or another switcheroo but after the ending I really doubt it. I though several of the scenes did a good job giving a bit more justification to that attitude from Etta's perspective as well, and she didn't have Olivia's motherly influence growing up.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

WhoIsBarryBostwick posted:

I was expecting an observer to bloop in from somewhere and off the dude, or a sniper from offscreen. So glad he survived.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
By taking Desmond, that has to imply they also took Bell. Hopefully we'll get details on what happened between Walter/Olivia and Bell soon. I want to see September again, too. :ohdear:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

There's no way they don't bring him back as like an evil cyborg or something, now that they've brought the actor back

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That head could be entirely CG, mapped onto somebody else and made out of previously recorded footage. It could be that they decided not to bring him back and this scene was to show how he'd been written out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They definitely didn't bring him back. That's either CG (most likely) or a practical effect. It looks like a video game version of him.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Don't worry, folks, he'll be back.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Is anyone else having mixed feelings about the season so far? The acting and writing as per usual feel very very strong, but there are some other elements that just don't seem to click for me. The portrayal of the Observers so far (and hey, we're only two episodes in) is reminding me far too much of the Cro-mags from Sliders. They're a technologically all powered up race who invade, take over and then just seem to start doing evil poo poo for the sake of it. Is there any particular reason they're doing all this human experimentation?

The situation in the future also feels like one that's been done quite a bit, there's a resistance but they use bloody tactics that put a great deal of the populace off who just want to lay down. I'm pretty confident that most of this will get sorted out, but it's been an uneven start for me so far.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

sithwitch13 posted:

Okay, I missed the opening credits, and this is bugging me--is that Tom McBeath as dude that Etta tortured the gently caress out of?

It was Eric Lange.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Well gently caress, he did good for a bit actor.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
This would make a fantastic av for someone if you just put his blink on like a 10 second delay.

J33uk posted:

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about the season so far?

I'm pretty confident that most of this will get sorted out, but it's been an uneven start for me so far.
Yeah I'm completely expecting them to really hit their stride now that they've established a clear goal for the team. 2 episodes is about what I thought it would take them to establish everything and get the ball rolling. I still expect at least one episode dealing with Peter and Olivia's post-invasion split but who knows, maybe that'll just get peppered in as the season goes on.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Balon posted:

Her mom and dad straight up ice dudes, whats she's doing merciful.

That was ripped straight from Doctor Who when The Master aged The Doctor with his laser screwdriver. I did like it though, but wonder about the ramifications of when it was said that the device used to be used to prepare the observers for time travel.

That'd imply that it takes modifications to them in order to be able to time travel, which is maybe why they're experimenting on humans.. maybe the observers are all that's left from their race and they want to modify humans into their ancestors.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Man, i have a real hard time seeing that this is Desmond, i know it is the same actor, i just don't see it.

J33uk posted:

Is anyone else having mixed feelings about the season so far? The acting and writing as per usual feel very very strong, but there are some other elements that just don't seem to click for me. The portrayal of the Observers so far (and hey, we're only two episodes in) is reminding me far too much of the Cro-mags from Sliders. They're a technologically all powered up race who invade, take over and then just seem to start doing evil poo poo for the sake of it. Is there any particular reason they're doing all this human experimentation?

I disagree, i think this is just about the best the show has ever been.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Have Olivia and Peter always been so distant from each other? Right now if they didn't tell us then I would have never guessed that they were in a relationship. Or maybe they're not, because it seems the first episode implied that they split up after Etta was kidnapped or whatever? I remember Peter crying about how he didn't go with Olivia back to NYC or something like that.

I'm guessing the man Etta let go is going to go around and gently caress them up now. Like she said and he confirmed, they are tried to lie.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have Olivia and Peter always been so distant from each other? Right now if they didn't tell us then I would have never guessed that they were in a relationship. Or maybe they're not, because it seems the first episode implied that they split up after Etta was kidnapped or whatever? I remember Peter crying about how he didn't go with Olivia back to NYC or something like that.

I'm guessing the man Etta let go is going to go around and gently caress them up now. Like she said and he confirmed, they are tried to lie.

Have you...not watched the rest of the series? Because this is the final season and you shouldn't just jump in blind. Also the show spelled out why there's some tension between Olivia and Peter. When the Observers invaded, Etta disappeared. Peter could only think about finding their little girl and Olivia was probably hurt that everything, including her, became secondary. Walter hatched a plan to fight the Observers and sent Olivia to go retrieve a device in New York. Peter had the option to go with the love of his life, but chose looking for Etta over helping Olivia. They never got a chance to discuss the issue until they all got unambered in present time.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I wonder if Olivia will be using her powers, I wanna see her psychic-fry dudes in the future. They had three years of peace before the Observers invaded, right? Plenty of time for Olivia to get on with her padawan training so she doesn't need an emotional trigger (see: 'dark future' timeline).

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Dazerbeams posted:

Have you...not watched the rest of the series? Because this is the final season and you shouldn't just jump in blind. Also the show spelled out why there's some tension between Olivia and Peter. When the Observers invaded, Etta disappeared. Peter could only think about finding their little girl and Olivia was probably hurt that everything, including her, became secondary. Walter hatched a plan to fight the Observers and sent Olivia to go retrieve a device in New York. Peter had the option to go with the love of his life, but chose looking for Etta over helping Olivia. They never got a chance to discuss the issue until they all got unambered in present time.

Annoying to me is that they're two episodes in now and Olivia and Peter have yet to ask Etta what happened to her/where she went/who looked after her etc! Surely to Christ you'd be asking your daughter what happened to her and how she was raised?!

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

seravid posted:

I wonder if Olivia will be using her powers, I wanna see her psychic-fry dudes in the future. They had three years of peace before the Observers invaded, right? Plenty of time for Olivia to get on with her padawan training so she doesn't need an emotional trigger (see: 'dark future' timeline).

They said regenerating her brain from being shot in it after fusing two universes burned out all her cortexiphan powers.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

They said regenerating her brain from being shot in it after fusing two universes burned out all her cortexiphan powers.

Really? I'll have to watch that again. I don't usually forget these things but, in my defense, season 4 was a mess.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

James R posted:

Annoying to me is that they're two episodes in now and Olivia and Peter have yet to ask Etta what happened to her/where she went/who looked after her etc! Surely to Christ you'd be asking your daughter what happened to her and how she was raised?!

I'm guessing there's a meta reason for that, in as much as it makes more sense in terms of characters to reveal this stuff a bit further into the season than to dump it all at the start. Let use get to know Etta NOW a bit better then let us find out how she got that way.

episode 4 is called "the bullet that saved the world", and my guess is that it's here we'll get a lot of filling in of the intervening time. I'm assuming the title refers to the necklace which I'm also assuming is Olivia's head-bullet from the S4 finale. Just speculation of course but they'll definitely fill it in at some point.

As for an in-universe reason, they've just woken up to find this 25 year old hard as nails resistance fighter that they don't know is the 3 year old daughter they lost two months ago, however much you want to fill in the gaps it's still something you're gonna want to work up to.

General Ironicus posted:

I think it was implied they've gone into kind of hibernation rather than been completely deleted, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a bit of a reactivation later, maybe using more cortexiphan. Would be a good hook to get more of Nina and whatever is left of Massive Dynamic. Also Etta has a magic brain too (can't be read by observers), add fresh cortexiphan to that and who knows what might happen.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Jack Gladney posted:

That head could be entirely CG, mapped onto somebody else and made out of previously recorded footage. It could be that they decided not to bring him back and this scene was to show how he'd been written out.

I'm curious: if it's entirely CG do they still need to pay him since they're using his likeness?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm curious: if it's entirely CG do they still need to pay him since they're using his likeness?

I would guess it probably depends on his contract for Letters of Transit. I'm sure he would get some payment, at least.

I wonder if he was in the credits for that episode?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dazerbeams posted:

What about my post made you think I've never seen the other seasons?

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:

Fatkraken posted:

I think it was implied they've gone into kind of hibernation rather than been completely deleted, I wouldn't be surprised if they do a bit of a reactivation later, maybe using more cortexiphan. Would be a good hook to get more of Nina and whatever is left of Massive Dynamic. Also Etta has a magic brain too (can't be read by observers), add fresh cortexiphan to that and who knows what might happen.

Also, in the original timeline (when Peter jumped 12 years into the future and deleted himself from existence) Olivia had developed her powers such that she could catch falling boxes with her mind. In this timeline, Olivia was given massive doses of Cortexiphan and she's only had 3 years intervening, so it's a crap shoot whether she'll have any kind of powers yet.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

What about my post made you think I've never seen the other seasons?

You were asking about Peter and Olivia's relationship. That's one of the primary aspects of this show. We've got freaky science on one hand and then Peter's connection with Walter and Olivia on the other.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Now THATS what I'm talking about. I was back up at Nintendo again this week and missed seeing the episode until just now, but a lot of my worry about the first episode was washed away. This did the usual Fringe stuff (touching moments that don't seem overwrought, some mythology building, some tension and of course a few :gonk: moments thrown in for good measure).

The season now has a purpose, and even though these are all mythology episodes, I'm always leery of "society in the woods" episodes of anything. Still, this felt like a rock-solid episode to me, and I'm bummed there weren't more replies.

Also, the intro gave me crazy deja vu despite the fact that I knew there were more/different lines and scenes were different.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
I liked that the dream intro was so much more coherent. Because it was Olivia's perspective this time, we had the advantage of her photographic memory.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

General Ironicus posted:

I liked that the dream intro was so much more coherent. Because it was Olivia's perspective this time, we had the advantage of her photographic memory.

The girlfriend and I thought they were going to structure the season into a future timeline and current timeline, to depict Fringe Division's initial attempt to resist the Observer invasion. To give its current efforts some historical context.

I'm a little leery at notion of a fetch quest for a season.

Also, does anyone else get the impression Walter's Plan involves rewriting the timeline? The Observers are from the future; short of locking them out of your timeline, how would you prevent them from re-invading at some future point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

V-Men posted:

Also, does anyone else get the impression Walter's Plan involves rewriting the timeline? The Observers are from the future; short of locking them out of your timeline, how would you prevent them from re-invading at some future point?

Considering that they now exist outside of time I don't think that will work. Also I've been of the opinion now for a while that the Observers are actually from Universe B, although we have seen them in both worlds.

• Locked thread