Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

From Twitter

quote:

GIVE your photos that James Bond feel, by taking them through a toilet roll tube

:3: , and it even has the rifling in the tube...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
We've finally found the one true purpose of ~iPhone Photography~ :aaa:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Menorah on Fire posted:

We've finally found the one true purpose of ~iPhone Photography~ :aaa:

I thought that was to find the only people on the planet more pretentious than us medium format film shooters. :wotwot:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

8th-samurai posted:

I thought that was to find the only people on the planet more pretentious than us medium format film shooters. :wotwot:

But we already knew about Leica.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Mr. Despair posted:

But we already knew about Leica.

That's not pretension, that's refinement.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

That's not pretension, that's refinement.

You misspelled "Panasonic."

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hey, just saw this deal in PYF, y'all should jump on it:

$35 for a 16x20 canvas print, shipped

:drat:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I used to order prints online. Matte, glossy, or "pearl" finish, or that terrible metallic paper, the usual options. About two years ago I started having them printed at a local place run by just a few people. The quality is miles better. I can select any paper I like, I do endless test prints (which you really, really, have to do y'all), no shipping wait, I get a discount because I have a state tax ID, and I'm supporting someone who does excellent work in my city and who supports the arts community.

I saw a show by a photography last night. Fantastic work. Huge prints. However he clearly had it printed from some online order place that just used some random Kodak paper. The quality was distracting and overshadowed his work, it wasn't being done justice.

There are so many, many, examples of poor printing ruining my impression of work. There's another HUGE artist showing locally whose work is also overshadowed by poor prints (I'm purposefully not going into details). Printing should be taken especially seriously, especially in 2012 when most images don't see paper. By printing something you are making a statement, "I chose this because it stands out far above the others and it demands your attention."

That $35 16x20 canvas print doesn't look like a very good deal at all.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not going to lie, I am absolutely doing that toilet roll trick.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

HookShot posted:

I'm not going to lie, I am absolutely doing that toilet roll trick.

Paging Gtab to thread ID 3188257 to explain how wrong/inaccurate that rifling is on behalf of TFR.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

SoundMonkey posted:

Paging Gtab to thread ID 3188257 to explain how wrong/inaccurate that rifling is on behalf of TFR.

here I'll do it. it doesn't have enough grooves

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

here I'll do it. it doesn't have enough grooves

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/two-groove

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ok then. another difference: gun barrels are not made of cardboard

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

ok then. another difference: gun barrels are not made of cardboard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYOtbM6m_mI

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
More importantly only monsters point guns at cattes. :colbert:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

More importantly only monsters point guns at cattes. :colbert:

Or spy cattes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Or spy cattes.

All cattes are spies. :radcat:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Those are some bomb rear end pussies. Here's a video about Leica ownership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsocXXe1KSw

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Well, I sold my 5d2 + lenses back in March to finance my move out here to the bay area. Bought a 5d3/24-105 kit early in the week and it just so happens the Blue Angels were in town and it was the first time I've gone out and shot anything in 6 months and then sat down and edited photos.

Feels good man. Although the 24-105 has. got. to. go. Was really really really missing a 70-200.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

All cattes are spies. :radcat:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Spedman posted:

In all seriousness in Scotland it was more like sunny 8-11 in the summer, and sunny 5.6 during the 5hrs of "day" time during the winter.

Scotland: Land of Dramatic and foreboding clouds, no matter the weather.

I can't believe people don't just build gothic architecture all over Scotland, Ireland and the North of England. The weather would make for some excellent, if a little grim, atmosphere.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The Clit Avoider posted:

Scotland: Land of Dramatic and foreboding clouds, no matter the weather.

I can't believe people don't just build gothic architecture all over Scotland, Ireland and the North of England. The weather would make for some excellent, if a little grim, atmosphere.

That's what they do. It's either period castles and houses or concrete government housing with the neon signs for a KFC knockoff place like "Uncle Sam's Texas Chicken"

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The Clit Avoider posted:

Eh they do have pretty nice medieval cribs?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Paragon8 posted:

concrete government housing with the neon signs for a KFC knockoff place like "Uncle Sam's Texas Chicken"

I just couldn't get over how depressing it made all the new areas of housing look, and they're so poorly built you can sit in your lounge room and listen to your neighbours cough.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Hah, those crazy Chinese kids, hah.
http://blog.renren.com/share/402385140/14375026475

Warning to those clicking: Google Safe Browsing reports malware could be served from those pages! - http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=renren.com
Best to disable scripts or run adblock.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 10, 2012

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Google translate turning to beat poetry:
Although shoot indoor items, actually gained access to the cannon! Slaughter of chickens to safety on the wheel

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I don't know how familiar with China these days, but there are a lot of disgustingly rich people there now that love to show off their wealth. Giving your kid a full frame DSLR with L-glass shows you've got so much money that you don't give a gently caress. Just like how they buy their teenage kids exotic sports cars as their first cars.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Santa is strapped posted:

Hah, those crazy Chinese kids, hah.
http://blog.renren.com/share/402385140/14375026475

Warning to those clicking: Google Safe Browsing reports malware could be served from those pages! - http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=renren.com
Best to disable scripts or run adblock.

This is why film is dying. Not just because of China, of course, but because of the "digital revolution" in America and Europe. So sad.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

This is why film is dying. Not just because of China, of course, but because of the "digital revolution" in America and Europe. So sad.

This is actually a really solid fakepost and I'm unironically impressed.

(Film is dying because Kodak bet all their dollars on lovely point & shoots and photo printers, of all things, and because the average consumer isn't even aware that film is A Thing.)

(Film isn't dying. At least I hope it's not, because I have some pretty ok film cameras I'd like to keep using.)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

There's a drugstore in this town that will totally process your film for you... by which they mean send it out for FOUR TO SIX WEEKS to some central developing place then you get prints back. Why would anyone even do that?

Luckily there's a Walmart 20 feet away that will ACTUALLY process your film and has a minilab and appears to actually know how too used it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Film is cool but has definitely become a hobby in itself rather than a key part of photography.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I dunno... my film photography is consistently better than my digital. $1/click really makes you think about exposure, color and quality of light, which shadows are falling where, unwanted reflections, is it a worthwhile shot... and I don't even do my own printing yet.

I'd recommend film to any of my friends who want to improve their photography technique.

edit: yeah, I guess that all qualifies as hobby rather than work or documenting life though...

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Personally, I'm slowing down with shooting digital and I've basically turned to 35mm to take snapshots. It's economically retarded, but I enjoy the combination. I have no problem spending hours on post on a digital shot that I've taken the time to setup and put thought into. I don't have to worry about doing much with film snapshots beyond scanning and adjusting curves. They look nice out of camera and friends get a kick out of seeing shots of themselves on film.

Up front, shooting RAW may be cheaper, but it's a very malleable format. To get what I want out of it requires a lot of processing because despite offering a ton of potential, digital looks like poo poo straight out of camera. I absolutely love doing post work, but it's a large investment of time, even when weighed against the cost of film.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 10, 2012

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

aliencowboy posted:

Personally, I'm slowing down with shooting digital and I've basically turned to 35mm to take snapshots. It's economically retarded, but I enjoy the combination. I have no problem spending hours on post on a digital shot that I've taken the time to setup and put some thought into. I don't have to worry about doing much with film snapshots beyond scanning and adjusting curves. They look nice out of camera and friends get a kick out of seeing shots of themselves on film.

Up front, shooting RAW may be cheaper, but it's a very malleable format. To get what I want out of it requires a lot of processing because despite offering a ton of potential, digital looks like poo poo straight out of camera. I absolutely love doing post work, but it's a large investment of time, even when weighed against the cost of film.

What an odd philosophy - it's the exact opposite of what I would expect someone to have.

Still, if it works for you, it must be okay.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Jake Stangel et all still shoot film for their assignments as far as I know.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
What about those film-emulation presets that are tied to a specific camera, have you tried anything like that?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

aliencowboy posted:

Personally, I'm slowing down with shooting digital and I've basically turned to 35mm to take snapshots. It's economically retarded, but I enjoy the combination. I have no problem spending hours on post on a digital shot that I've taken the time to setup and put thought into. I don't have to worry about doing much with film snapshots beyond scanning and adjusting curves. They look nice out of camera and friends get a kick out of seeing shots of themselves on film.

I do this too, mainly because pocketable digital cameras take lovely pictures compared to an XA or mju II. I only feel like breaking out the big rig (dslr) when I want to plan something out and do a bunch of post.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Santa is strapped posted:

Jake Stangel et all still shoot film for their assignments as far as I know.

Thanks for the name, his work is awesome. Vincent Peters is another great shooter that only shoots film as far as I know.

I would love to be so good that I can shoot film and still get clients but the expectations in professional workflow dictate digital for the most part.

I'm not sure I'd book Stangel to shoot a tedious catalogue job but he probably doesn't want to be booked for poo poo like that.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

David Pratt posted:

What about those film-emulation presets that are tied to a specific camera, have you tried anything like that?

They all suck + look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Reichstag posted:

They all suck + look like poo poo.

VSCO is really obvious too if that's what we're talking about.

Zach Arias goes on about how it's a fad and he's right. I imagine it'll be a staple of a lot of wedding photographers for a while though.

That being said I quite like Alienskin but I tweak the hell out of anything I use to the point I'm using my own created presets.