Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
??? It says right on that page kindle edition $5.93

I've just finished dodger and it was jsut a bit meh. didn't really grab me the way nation did.

fluppet fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, you're right. Not only is Snuff sold out here, I can't even buy the digital version :argh:

I suppose I could get someone to gift a copy to me from the US store? The odd thing is that I actually do have a valid US delivery address that worked with digital game downloads, even with the billing address registered to my country.

vvv: I can handle some techy stuff, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 30, 2012

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
You could buy the epub version but you would need to strip the drm to convert it to a kindle version. ebooks.com have it and they don't have any country specific restrictions as far as I am aware.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm clearing out some stuff I don't have room for and since the local libraries won't take donations, anyone want any hard cover versions of the following:

Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
Going Postal
Making Money
Monstrous Regiment
Unseen Academicals
Thud
Night Watch
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

All I'd ask for in return is shipping costs and give them a good home.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Where do you live that the libraries are well funded enough to turn away free books in reasonable condition?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Are you UK based? I'd love Wee Free Men and Monstrous Regiment!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Oh duh should have said where I am, I'm in the US. New York specifically and yeah, I don't know why they don't take donations either, it was surprising.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

mirthdefect posted:

Where do you live that the libraries are well funded enough to turn away free books in reasonable condition?

It's not that uncommon that they don't have shelf-space for anything they didn't explicitly ask for, and their librarians don't usually have the time or inclination to sort through the trash of their entire public's throwing-out boxes. Not that they shouldn't have a complete selection of Pratchett books already, but whatever.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Local school, maybe?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
See if someone has a Books for Prisons program near you.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

If nothing else, talk to the library about alternatives. The Red Cross here in NZ collects books for a big sale once or twice a year; hopefully the library could suggest an alternative if only to prevent books being destroyed when they could still do good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mirthdefect posted:

Where does he live that there are no charity bookshops? I worked in one once, and can tell you that if you stood outside a row of three of them and shouted "Anybody want some Pratchett books?" you'd be trampled to death by the onrushing staff. Every charity bookshop has an insatiable hunger for Pratchett books because they sell almost instantly at a good price.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Just finished Dodger. I really liked it. The last paragraph was awesome.

It wasn't funny like the Discworld books, but it was a pretty neat idea, and it was executed well. The underground scenes are awesome - as someone who frequently went into my city's drainage system in the past, I can say that the descriptions are really well done.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm happy to see his non Discworld stuff being just as good still, I wish Terry luck in trying to do a few more of them for the future.

Nobody creative likes being boxed in as that <thing> guy you know?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I'll mention something in this thread for some feedback. I've been passing it along (quietly) amongst the Discworld fan community and would be curious to see what responses people get.

I've been working on a bit of Discworld fanart. But not just one piece, a whole collection--I was inspired by how some of the earlier Discworld novels have been released in comicbook form. I was thinking of doing an entire novel in a comic format and giving it to the fandom via devianart or something similar. Maybe Men At Arms.

Think it'd go over well?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

I'll mention something in this thread for some feedback. I've been passing it along (quietly) amongst the Discworld fan community and would be curious to see what responses people get.

I've been working on a bit of Discworld fanart. But not just one piece, a whole collection--I was inspired by how some of the earlier Discworld novels have been released in comicbook form. I was thinking of doing an entire novel in a comic format and giving it to the fandom via devianart or something similar. Maybe Men At Arms.

Think it'd go over well?

If it's done well, I'd think that most fans would enjoy it. Men At Arms is one of the better Discworld books and I would think it would translate well into a comic format.

That said, what are the legal ramifications of just taking the story and making a comic?

Edit for clarity: I have no idea what the legalities are, that was a question, not an "omg copyright" post.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Think it'd go over well?

Not if you didn't ask permission first. Anything you adapt may already have had the rights sold.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Not if you didn't ask permission first. Anything you adapt may already have had the rights sold.

Hm, fair enough. Wouldn't it fall under "parody" fair use? There's been many other works transposed to other mediums on deviantart that haven't been taken down. Offhand, I can think of a few video games that have been recreated in comic form and a few movies, too.

This would obviously not be for any profit, and in fact I'd like to think it'd be my way of thanking Pratchett for all the years of entertainment. I realize this sounds arrogant before I say it, but hear me out, because we know he's a big internet fan himself and I think if the fanwork is good enough he'd probably get wind of it. Which is what I'd hope for.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

Hm, fair enough. Wouldn't it fall under "parody" fair use? There's been many other works transposed to other mediums on deviantart that haven't been taken down. Offhand, I can think of a few video games that have been recreated in comic form and a few movies, too.

This would obviously not be for any profit, and in fact I'd like to think it'd be my way of thanking Pratchett for all the years of entertainment. I realize this sounds arrogant before I say it, but hear me out, because we know he's a big internet fan himself and I think if the fanwork is good enough he'd probably get wind of it. Which is what I'd hope for.
It wouldn't be fair use, since you're using a substantial and key portion of the original work (namely: all of it), and it doesn't have educational value. But on your side, you aren't going to be profiting from it (unless DeviantART works differently than I am aware), and it would be tough for Pratchett to show that any damage has been done.

Also, Pratchett doesn't have a history of going after fan works, so you're probably safe. But you wouldn't have a chance in court, so if his publisher sends a C&D you'll need to take it down.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just thought I'd bring it up since it's been a while since we mentioned it, but the excellent BBC Radio Plays are up on Youtube. All the ones that were previously available on iPlayer have appeared (Guards!Guards!, Mort, Wyrd Sisters and Small Gods) but even better, a bunch of previously unreleased or hard-to-find ones have been collected, including Reaper Man and Night Watch!

snolliemonsters
Dec 25, 2007
I need some help, after many years of reading Pratchett novels I have some fantastic memories of the novels but they are kind of blending in my head. I remember a book of a guy being led around, possibly with a chain, and he is kind of dumb but in the end it it turns out he is not dumb, he just he takes a long time to think things through. Might possibly have something to do with the priests of Om. I've been googling this for half a hour and getting nowhere, any help will be appreciated!

Also just finished Dodger, my favorite Pratchett yet!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

snolliemonsters posted:

I need some help, after many years of reading Pratchett novels I have some fantastic memories of the novels but they are kind of blending in my head. I remember a book of a guy being led around, possibly with a chain, and he is kind of dumb but in the end it it turns out he is not dumb, he just he takes a long time to think things through. Might possibly have something to do with the priests of Om.

Small Gods.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just started reading and I Shall Wear Midnight last night and I'm already 2/3 of the way through, I'm surprised how much I love the Tiffany Aching Books.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Flipswitch posted:

Just started reading and I Shall Wear Midnight last night and I'm already 2/3 of the way through, I'm surprised how much I love the Tiffany Aching Books.

I just started them for the first time! I finished Wee Free Men yesterday and read the first couple of chapters of A Hat Full of Sky.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tiffany is one of my favorite Pratchett characters.

The bit in A Hat Full Of Sky with the hiver, where she's saying "help me" through it's speech, and Petunia asks "what's that?" and the hiver says "don't worry, it'll be gone soon" is loving chilling.

Fairyland is awesome whenever they visit it, too. And the Nac Mac Feegle are utterly endearing. I'd leave a bottle of whisky out for them every single night if they'd show up at my house.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
An overlooked facet of Pratchett's genius is that he is able to write BOTH genders believably.

Even Douglas Adams admitted he had trouble writing female characters.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The thing that surprised me the most is the Young Readers tab and there's some drat grim things in these books.

snolliemonsters
Dec 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

Small Gods.

Thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Flipswitch posted:

The thing that surprised me the most is the Young Readers tab and there's some drat grim things in these books.

It is a British thing. Dick King Smiths books love doing it too, and I can't remember the name but the trilogy with the fantasy mice was loving grim to read at twelve years old too.

Adeptus
May 1, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is a British thing. Dick King Smiths books love doing it too, and I can't remember the name but the trilogy with the fantasy mice was loving grim to read at twelve years old too.

Robin Jarvis? Sounds like the Deptford Mice. Good books, but yeah very grim - I'm pretty sure reading them was what got me into horror novels.

I'm not sure if it's an exclusively British thing, but there are several British authors who've gone that route - Roald Dahl's another good example. 'Young Adults' can handle some surprisingly mature subjects, really. Disney's been in the business of scaring kids for years, so most young teenagers are used to that sort of stuff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Pterry once said that you can tell which of his books are written for kids because the kids' books are darker. Kids can cope with dark stuff. It's only adults who need escapism in their fantasy, because they deal with dark stuff in reality.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

Pterry once said that you can tell which of his books are written for kids because the kids' books are darker. Kids can cope with dark stuff. It's only adults who need escapism in their fantasy, because they deal with dark stuff in reality.

Seems accurate. Also, Kids like "dark" stuff. People underestimate their Innocent Little Angels' desire to see people hurt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think he said that YA books are darker and the sex is less obvious.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Also, as it turns out, I am not the only Discworld fan doing a fancomic:

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=discworld+comic#/dlk05q

I like the cute note:

Little sidenote: I ended up being able to personally hand both of these pages to Mr. Pratchett himself as a little showing of appreciation for how much his work has inspired me. He liked them.

Edit: In fact there are at least 3 different fancomic versions of the books currently being done on Deviantart. Seems that many people had the same idea.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 6, 2012

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

AlphaDog posted:

Just finished Dodger. I really liked it. The last paragraph was awesome.

It wasn't funny like the Discworld books, but it was a pretty neat idea, and it was executed well. The underground scenes are awesome - as someone who frequently went into my city's drainage system in the past, I can say that the descriptions are really well done.

How's the editing on it? Better than on some of his latest Discworld books?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

uXs posted:

How's the editing on it? Better than on some of his latest Discworld books?

It seemed fine to me. I remember wondering about the grammar at one point, but I'd misread a word.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've read them all, but I've never really been able to get into the Tiffany Aching books. But the strange thing is, I've never really been able to figure out why. I mean, Tiffany's an okay character, but...yeah. I'm not sure.

I'm down to Sourcery and Moving Pictures as the last two Discworld books I've yet to read. Any general thoughts on their quality?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 7, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've read them all, but I've never really been able to get into the Tiffany Aching books. But the strange thing is, I've never really been able to figure out why. I mean, Tiffany's an okay character, but...yeah. I'm not sure.

I'm down to Sourcery and Moving Pictures as the last two Discworld books I've yet to read. Any general thoughts on their quality?

Sourcery isn't bad, but it's definitely got that "early discworld" feel. It's not nearly as polished as his later books, and a good chunk of the humor exists for its own sake, rather than the cutting satire we get later.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

ConfusedUs posted:

Sourcery isn't bad, but it's definitely got that "early discworld" feel. It's not nearly as polished as his later books, and a good chunk of the humor exists for its own sake, rather than the cutting satire we get later.

There's a lot of things done that are sensibly ignored in the following books. And reading it after reading later UU-centric stories is quite jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tardigrade posted:

There's a lot of things done that are sensibly ignored in the following books. And reading it after reading later UU-centric stories is quite jarring.

True. In much the same way that Equal Rights is largely ignored.