Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Oh, I know that, but when making the game content they would've already known Cid is alive later on. Why kill him if you're just going to end up handwaving it away pointlessly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The answer to this is really simple and really stupid.

Square-Enix made the expensive CGI cutscenes long before the game was finished. The developers were obligated to use the cutscenes. Cid is alive in a later cutscene and so he had to be alive for that cutscene to take place.

I think we was asking why would they bother killing off Cid if they know he has to be alive later to match the CGI?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They appear to have thought it was an example of how ~terrible~ the L'cie are.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
It makes sense thematically, an example of the fal'Cies' complete control over every aspect of peoples' existence, and an example at a personal level of the contempt Barthandelus has for people.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's like it was paced and edited by someone who literally has no clue how basic stories function.

That's almost it.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 23, 2014

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I just assume it's because at that point, there was no actual game. The screenshots look more like a cutscene with a HUB pasted on top. I can't imagine the camera zooming in like that would make for a very enjoyable experience.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Momomo posted:

Why'd they even bother bringing Cid back to life in the first place? I realize they had the cutscene already made, but why make game content that contradicts this entirely? You could definitely create a position in which the party both fights Cid and he's killed as the new Space Pope.

When I played it, I thought the Cid who got shot was Barthandelus in disguise, doing bad things to discredit Cid so the rebels would flip out. This made some kind of sense at the time, but now I don't remember where it was said in the game, if at all. The FF wiki says he was "teleported away" and didn't actually do anything. Shrug.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Momomo posted:

I just assume it's because at that point, there was no actual game. The screenshots look more like a cutscene with a HUB pasted on top. I can't imagine the camera zooming in like that would make for a very enjoyable experience.

No, it's real...I can see why those look like Bullshots, but there's actual footage of the early "in the fray" engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMqJEANuot8

I can't possibly see Square actually creating a completely fake battle engine trailer, fake hub and all; what would be the point? The CGIs would be enough to make a good trailer.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 6, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

That looks confusing and unplayable. Even if that was real (Which I'm still doubting, considering how awful the design process for this game was), it's probably for the better that they dumped it.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I'm actually blown away by the fact I never thought twice about the XIII Cid CGI scenes. Like, at that point in the game when Cid is the new Space Pope or whatever I kinda just went along for the ride and stopped questioning things I guess.

That really IS the epitome of horrible direction for the XIII project. And I guess that's more telling about the entire development process for that matter too. :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Momomo posted:

That looks confusing and unplayable.

I think this is what "Fabula Nova Crystallis" translate to in English.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
They didn't scrap the original FF13 battle plans -- they made their way into Lightning Returns, basically.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

They didn't scrap the original FF13 battle plans -- they made their way into Lightning Returns, basically.

If they scrapped the battle system from 13/13-2 and went with something like what is in these early trailers I may actually end up playing 13-3.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Boten Anna posted:

If they scrapped the battle system from 13/13-2 and went with something like what is in these early trailers I may actually end up playing 13-3.

From what we know of Lightning Returns' battle system, it's basically a blend of what Versus has and what we first saw of FF13, the Paradigm system is gone (even though it's awesome).

Donnor
Aug 24, 2012
Are they seriously throwing insta-death attacks at me in FFXIII now? It wouldn't be a big deal if using it on my party leader didn't mean insta-game over too. Sure, I can make sure I have a Sentinel as my leader, but first of all, that assumes I know the enemy has that attack, and second of all that assumes another attack from another enemy isn't coming to wipe out my 1 HP immediately after.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Donnor posted:

Are they seriously throwing insta-death attacks at me in FFXIII now? It wouldn't be a big deal if using it on my party leader didn't mean insta-game over too. Sure, I can make sure I have a Sentinel as my leader, but first of all, that assumes I know the enemy has that attack, and second of all that assumes another attack from another enemy isn't coming to wipe out my 1 HP immediately after.

General rule of thumb: Always have a party leader with the Sentinel role in the later parts of FFXIII, because the game can get seriously difficult.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
On the topic of FF Versus, the proucer apparently tweeted a month ago “It is being developed, so look forward to it next year.”

What's another year? After all, it's not like eight years in development is a long time. And that probably will just be another announcement saying they're still working on it.

Nice to see the XIII development ethos is still going strong. Great job SE. :thumbsup:

I look forward to showing it to my grandkids on the Xbox 1440.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Edit: ^^^I honestly think its been quietly shelved and they keep re-assuring us that "it's coming" so investors don't sell stocks.

I think I only ever got hit with an instant kill attack against the final boss after 20 minutes of fighting. Frustrating, yes, but when I retried I somehow managed to kill it in less then five minutes.

Just try again, really. Your only punishment for death is lost time.

I don't have a problem with instant kill spells in RPGs and I don't have a problem with party leader dying = game over. I find it incredibly frustrating when those two are put together, however, and think its bad game design.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Vinchenz posted:

Edit: ^^^I honestly think its been quietly shelved and they keep re-assuring us that "it's coming" so investors don't sell stocks.

I think I only ever got hit with an instant kill attack against the final boss after 20 minutes of fighting. Frustrating, yes, but when I retried I somehow managed to kill it in less then five minutes.

Just try again, really. Your only punishment for death is lost time.

I don't have a problem with instant kill spells in RPGs and I don't have a problem with party leader dying = game over. I find it incredibly frustrating when those two are put together, however, and think its bad game design.

On top of that, the instant death attack the final boss uses has a pretty low chance of success. I only ever died once, then stomped it the next time.

After playing SMT: Nocturne, I will never find instant death attacks + leader death game over as bad game design.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Mister Roboto posted:

I can't possibly see Square actually creating a completely fake battle engine trailer, fake hub and all; what would be the point? The CGIs would be enough to make a good trailer.

Sorry, but that's exactly what they did.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30640/Exclusive_Behind_The_Scenes_Of_Square_Enixs_Final_Fantasy_XIII.php

quote:

Final Fantasy XIII was first introduced through a concept trailer shown alongside the announcement of the Fabula Nova Crystallis project at E3 2006 (Fabula Nova Crystallis represents a suite of games and other entertainment media related to Final Fantasy XIII). The trailer was merely a visual concept, and we had not yet created anything playable at that point.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mister Roboto posted:

Eh, it wouldn't be the first time they do that, you know.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Donnor posted:

If an enemy's using instant death spells then making the party leader a sentinel seems like the last thing I'd do, since that just means every spell's going to be aimed at the one person you really don't want it to hit.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I just got 13 and 13-2 for cheap, and while I rented and played through a chunk of XIII last year and enjoyed it, I'm starting over because I've forgotten most of it. Here's my question: Is it possible to grind for levels in the early parts of the game (AKA before everything apparently opens up towards the end), or is the amount of enemies finite?

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

From what I remember the enemies come back if you load the area again, either from loading a save or walking back into an area. But honestly, there's not really much of a point to grinding.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The game puts a cap on how much you can level up in each area.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

You can still collect crystogen points up to like 999,999 or something stupid, though.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Dr Pepper posted:

The game puts a cap on how much you can level up in each area.
For a good chunk of the game you can hit this cap just by not avoiding enemies as you progress through each area, too. Then you beat the boss and get a small chunk of points to spend on the newly unlocked sections. There's no point in grinding until towards the end of the game.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Armor-Piercing posted:

For a good chunk of the game you can hit this cap just by not avoiding enemies as you progress through each area, too. Then you beat the boss and get a small chunk of points to spend on the newly unlocked sections. There's no point in grinding until towards the end of the game.

This isn't really true at all. If you find an early farmable spot (Hope's House for example has infinite respawning enemies in an easy loop that you can just mash Auto-Battle and win) you'll have a ton of CP. Yeah you get capped each Chapter/section but then you're always ahead of the curve so when it opens up, you can instantly cap again, and so on. Basically, it puts you pretty far ahead when the whole thing unlocks towards the end of the game/post-game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Usually whenever the cap is unlocked the enemies in the next area give you WAY more CP though. So you could grind to 20,000 or whatever but in the next area you can get that 20,000 much quicker.

So no it's never worth it

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Being able to max your crystarium the moment it expands doesn't seem that beneficial to me since regular enemies for most of the game aren't that strong. You could avoid encounters since you wouldn't need the points any more, but then all you've accomplished is dividing combat and progression which, to me, would be much more tedious than doing both at once.

Unless grinding at Hope's house is more efficient (which it might be, I don't know), it makes more sense to me to wait until you can, for example, repeat Mission 24, preferably with the Growth Egg. There you're at a point in the game where you don't naturally max your crystarium through progress and you aren't already powerful enough to fight everything around you.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The only time it's worth some grinding is at one point in the final dungeon, there's an enemy called Wladislaus who gives a serious shitload of CP per kill. You can't return to that area later, so stock up a bit if you're planning to take on any post-game stuff.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I don't think CP grinding is ever necessary, plus you'll max everybody out along the way if you end up money grinding, anyhow.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The only places you'd want to grind before postgame are Hope's house and the airship, and that's not for CP, that's for credit chips so you can buy stuff for equipment upgrading.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm trying to play FF2 Advance again and why the hell does nobody but Firion do any decent damage? I can't figure out why the hell he's doing like 500+ damage while Guy, who's loving dual wielding axes, does maybe 75 and Maria doesn't hit half the time. It's not skill levels, since they're almost all equal when it comes to their weapons, and there's no major difference in attack between Firion and Guy (53 versus 43). Firion has a Wing Sword and Golden Shield, Guy's dual-wielding Battle Axes. I don't loving get it, this system makes no sense to me.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Pollyanna posted:

I'm trying to play FF2 Advance again and why the hell does nobody but Firion do any decent damage? I can't figure out why the hell he's doing like 500+ damage while Guy, who's loving dual wielding axes, does maybe 75 and Maria doesn't hit half the time. It's not skill levels, since they're almost all equal when it comes to their weapons, and there's no major difference in attack between Firion and Guy (53 versus 43). Firion has a Wing Sword and Golden Shield, Guy's dual-wielding Battle Axes. I don't loving get it, this system makes no sense to me.

I'm sure someone is going to post a bunch of math about it but basically FF2 sucks rear end.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
FF2 - where up is down, left is right and where you must fight yourselves to level up.

I'd just focus on Firion if I were you, if you're going the easy way and getting the blood sword, then use Maria and Guy as meat shields. And give fire to one of them; for everything that the blood sword can't kill, fire will.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

voltron lion force posted:

I'm sure someone is going to post a bunch of math about it but basically FF2 sucks rear end.

Trust me, I agree with you, but this is the GBA version, ostensibly it's been fixed but gently caress if I know how the drat thing is supposed to work.

I guess I'll just save game and come back never.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

I'd wager that there's a significant difference between Guy and Firion's Accuracy.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Basically there is a huge time gap between the starting axes and the good axes. The Wing Sword is just a better weapon. I recommend fists for Guy. Also if you've got the black bow (I think? whatever one says it causes blindness) on Maria, swap it for something else, that one has a low hit rate because it's tied to the status effect chance. edit: And I usually just have her cast magic all the time anyhow

Mustach fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Attacks in FF2 (in FF1 through 4, in fact) actually attempt multiple hits and tell you the sum of their damage. Each such attack can individually hit or miss. Axes are less accurate than swords.