Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Dynamo League Week 8 Injury Report

The European and United States Championship have been unified!

Florida Oranges
Vince Coleman (OF) (Clearly, the final nail in the Oranges' coffin) - 29 days

Rochester Generics
Kevin Brown (SP) (Ate Jello laced with LSD) - 7 days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

I'd suggest replacing Sam McDowell but your top pitcher in your minors is LaMarr Hoyt who, in real life, suffered from an incurable case of being LaMarr Hoyt.

What if I were to bounce Hoyt to short relief and swing Crowder out to the rotation?

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

So, which trades are you guys making again? Remember, you need four owners to sign on.

Well, the trade with the Phoenixes was open for choice/discussion, but gently caress it, I guess.

It was, with the Comancheros: Jeff Bagwell for Dennis Martinez and Todd Worrell;
with the Phoenixes: Kenny Lofton for Chris Young.

I'm not thrilled, but we have to get this done. I believe ForeverBWFC and CVE, as well as, implicitly, I have approved. kw0134 or Bruiser?

Viscount Slim fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 7, 2012

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

The European and United States Championship have been unified!

I have a bad feeling about this

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Changes after the trade with the Finger-Bangers:

Schoendienst is gone. Replace with Alomar.
Gallardo and Lemon out of the rotation. Replaced by Sutton and Zito.
Gallardo to long relief, replacing Brecheen.
Uehara replaces Grilli in short relief.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
I guess I'll have to give the ball to Niekro unless we can limp by on a four pitcher rotation until Brown gets back. And I'll have to wait until the draft to fix catcher, I guess. Or the next expansion cup for my next team :sigh:

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

kw0134 posted:

Rochester Generics
I guess I'll have to give the ball to Niekro unless we can limp by on a four pitcher rotation until Brown gets back. And I'll have to wait until the draft to fix catcher, I guess. Or the next expansion cup for my next team :sigh:

Approve the Bearer's trades damnit! :colbert:

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

: So, I know that the Super-League is on a bit of downswing, so I figured I'd contribute with a sure-fire winner. Remember all those cartoons Smasher wrote about a couple of updates ago? Well, I say we make our own and call it...."Dunn Squad". So, the main character is me, but then you've got a cyborg me from the future, a wizard me from a parallel universe, and some sort of girl-me. Anyway, every week we have to fight off the schemes of my nemesis, the evil Richie Sexson. And we could sell action figures, and other merchandise. Maybe some sort of ride at Universal Studios Orlando...I'm telling you, it's money in the bank!

Super-League, Smasher League VII Week 7: Bad Ideas

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

BOBBLEHEADS HUMILIATE POTATOES 4-1

Chicago- It's not that the Bobbleheads don't care at all, it's just that they don't care very much.

With a championship on hand and Babe Ruth in the lineup, the Bobbles' usual struggle for survival has been replaced with a sort of celebratory torpor, as, with not a lot left to accomplish, and no real chance of relegation in the near-future, there is less urgency than ever to play well.

And that is why Mark Grace decided to start Stan Belinda today. Belinda started a grand total of zero games in real life, but that did not seem to bother Grace, who was looking for some to take the place of the injured Tom Glavine. Belinda somehow lasted five innings and picked up the win by allowing only one run over that span. It was a surprising performance to say the least, and Grace was complimentary of his temporary starter after the game, "I know, I know, I know. It seems crazy to start a guy like Belinda but, well, I don't really care. I mean, I just put a bunch of note cards with pitchers' names on them on a dart board, but then I couldn't find any darts, so I just sent Belinda out there. I guess that it was pretty risky, but it was against the Potatoes, who are pretty loving awful. And it's not like I totally tanked it, I mean, I had ten beers before the game, but then I stopped, because I didn't want to get completely hammered. Because that would have been wrong."

Stan Belinda, who wasn't quite stretched out for a start, responded differently after the game, "MY ARM! MY loving ARM! WHY WOULD MARK GRACE MAKE ME PITCH THAT LONG? THAT loving DRUNK rear end in a top hat! drat IT!"

As for the Potatoes, reporters did try and talk to them, but the entire team was too busy preparing for the next "Gathering of the Juggaloes", which is evidently some sort of convention for fans of the Insane Clown Posse, a novelty rap group whose fans, according to the FBI, have formed criminal organizations throughout the country. Josh Gibson, the only player apparently not getting on with the festivities, seemed horrified by what was happening, "They're painting their faces and they're drinking something called 'Faygo' which is apparently some sort of low-grade soda pop, and I wish I could just go back to the Sharks because I loving hate this team. Last week they played a Dane Cook comedy special in the clubhouse and now this? I hate this place!"

A spokesman for National Beverage Corporation, which owns Faygo, took exception to some of Gibson's comments, "For 100 years, the name Faygo has represented quality in soft drinks. To call out products 'low-grade' because of a certain subset of our consumers is highly unfair. We suggest that Mr. Gibson sample a glass of Morning Mist or Red Pop before making any more comments about the Faygo brand. He just might be surprised."

Box Score

Don May posted:

THE THORNTON LEE RETURNS TO HAUNT CULTISTS

Cologne- They say that lightning never strikes the same place twice. Of course, that's simply not true, as lightning is attracted to the same tall, metal structures time and time again. Perhaps there was a time when lightning was sufficiently mysterious that men believed in such superstitions, but those days are long past us.

The mystery of The Thornton Lee, however, plagues mankind to this day.

CVE did not announce that he would be sending Lee out to face the Cultists until immediately prior to the game, leaving Cultists' owner CthulhuDreams to erupt in a paroxysm of rage once Lee's name was announced. Cthulhu, who was still angry over Lee's surprising win over the Cultists last month, was determined not to let the enigmatic Lee beat him a second time.

But in that, he failed, as Lee once more humiliated the Cultists, holding them to one run over seven innings and picking up another win against the team with the best record in the Smasher League. CthulhuDreams was nearly beside himself in the postgame press conference, "Unacceptable! I create the finest Super-League team in history and this...this nobody beats us twice in two months? The first time was bad enough, but flukes happens, but this latest insult? Two losses against this Thornton Lee? Who is Thornton Lee? I have checked his statistics, I have parsed them carefully, and the real Thornton Lee should in no way be able to hold my team back once, let alone twice! This isn't over, Lee! I will have answers! You can't hide the truth forever! I'll find out who you really are, and then I show it for all the world to see! I promise you that!"

CVE tried to explain what was happening, "As you all know, The Thornton Lee only speaks to me in dreams, for the waking world is not ready to hear the sound of his voice. He says to me that the Cultists are a dark mark on this game, that they threaten us in more ways that we know, that, given free reign, they would ruin everything. They cannot change who they are, so they must perish, or else we all certainly will. Of course, as a man of reason, I am often skeptical of vague proclamations that are told to me in dreams, so I am reluctant to give them too much credence. In better news, I have been told that Martin Dihigo's fractured skull continues to heal, and he will return to the team within two months." CVE then stood there uncomfortably for a few moments before continuing, "I apologize, many of you must have thought that this last comment was intended to be humorous, and it was not. Alas, there is little humor to be found in a fractured skull. Perhaps if it were the result of some sort of slapstick comedy routine, but, even then, a fractured skull would indicate that the routine had gone awry at some point. No, I am afraid there is no humor to be found in any of this. Good night."

Box Score

Don May posted:

JUGGERNAUTS BEAT CELLS 2-1, NO ONE IMPRESSED

Juneau- So, the Juggernauts are in first place, and you might think that that might shut factorialite up, but no....

"Oh, we finally made it to first place? I could care less. You know that Smasher is never going to let me win the Super-League, right? He's going to cheat me at some point, and today's win is just part of his plan to get me to care about the Super-League so he can dick me over again. Well, you can tell that Fresca-drinking, no-job-having, complete loser that it's not going to work. gently caress him, gently caress his league, gently caress all of you. factorialite out."

As for the Splinter Cells, they [redacted]. In fact, [redacted]. It was almost as if [redacted]. cbx, angry at the insinuation, yelled back, with a rusty machete in his hand that, "[redacted]". Neither Verlander nor his severed arm were available for further comment.

Box Score

Numbers

Analysis

Team old man continues to hang in their, and even manage to make it back into a virtual tie with the Landers. I still don't know that this is a good team, exactly, but they aren't terrible.

Analysis

I think that you're probably going to need to pick a center fielder with your Super-Draft pick.

Analysis

You better hope that trade with the Bearers goes through, because Carlos Baerga is just a stopgap at first.

Analysis

Carl Mays: 6 Ks, 0 Fatalities...so far.

Analysis

The ship is sinking!

Analysis

Billy Martin was known as a miracle worker...AS A MANAGER! As a player, he wasn't very good.

Analysis

You probably could be using DiMaggio more than you are.

Analysis

Mogul as a love/hate relationship with Pedro. This season leans towards 'hate'.

Analysis

I hope the trade helps, because you probably gave up a high pick to get it.

Analysis

At least you've probably got ALCS money coming.

Analysis

Part of Posey's problem is that you're grinding him down to nothing by playing him everyday. I did bump up his ratings a bit, but he won't last if you don't get a backup for him.

Analysis

Before you complain about Matt Williams, remember that his career OBP was something like .313, so him not drawing a lot of walks shouldn't be a surprise to any of you.

Analysis

Despite Thornton Lee's best efforts, the Cultists are still cruising.

Analysis

Despite your best efforts, you're still in a good place.

Analysis

Mr. Team is, ironically enough, killing your team with his poor play.

Analysis

What's Plan C?

Standings and Leaders

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Hey Landers what year is your underperforming Pedro Martinez? I might be willing to trade you my underperforming Mordecai Brown for him.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Super-Draft VIII Projected Order

I think this is right.

I'll probably finalize the order after Week 9 or so, but this is how it looks right now:

Round 1
1. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (from Madison Mudholes) (.350)
2. Rated R Superstars (.390)
3. Poughkeepsie Superbas (.391)
4. Old Hoss Radbourns (.391)
5. Idaho Potatoes (.400)
6. Vice City Goose Eggs (.400)
7. Great Googly-Mooglies (.410)
8. St. Paul Bearers (.422)
9. Lombard St. Gumshoes (.426)
10. Comancheros (.439)
11. Second City Saints (.444) - VACATED
12. Polyarny Postmodernists (.447)
13. Rochester Generics (.457)
14. Luna Landers (from Barrow Daydreamers) (.457)
15. Oxbridge Mathematicians (.463)
16. Florida Oranges (.489)
17. Cologne Emperors (.500)
18. Norfolk Splinter Cells (.500)
19. Cleveland Unicorns (.511)
20. Finger Lakes Phoenixes (.525)
21. Juneau Juggernauts (.537)
22. Burma Imperialists (.543)
23. Ted Sox (.564)
24. Antarctica Unspecifieds (.574)
25. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (.587)
26. Dubai Dervishes (.596)
27. Portland Bulldogs (.609)
28. Luna Landers (.610)
29. Chicago Bobbleheads (.615)
30. South Bolton Eazy W's (.625)
31. Rockford Losers (.652)
32. Ryleh Cultists (.675) - VACATED
Round 2
33. Madison Mudholes (.350) - VACATED
34. Rated R Superstars (.390)
35. Poughkeepsie Superbas (.391)
36. Old Hoss Radbourns (.391)
37. Idaho Potatoes (.400)
38. Vice City Goose Eggs (.400)
39. Great Googly-Mooglies (.410) - VACATED
40. St. Paul Bearers (.422)
41. Burma Imperialists (from Lombard St. Gumshoes) (.426)
42. Comancheros (.439)
43. Second City Saints (.444)
44. Polyarny Postmodernists (.447)
45. Rochester Generics (.457)
46. Barrow Daydreamers (.457)
47. Oxbridge Mathematicians (.463)
48. Florida Oranges (.489)
49. Cologne Emperors (.500)
50. Norfolk Splinter Cells (.500)
51. Cleveland Unicorns (.511)
52. Finger Lakes Phoenixes (.525)
53. Juneau Juggernauts (.537)
54. Burma Imperialists (.543)
55. Ted Sox (.564)
56. Antarctica Unspecifieds (.574)
57. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers (.587)
58. Dubai Dervishes (.596) - VACATED
59. Portland Bulldogs (.609)
60. Mooglies (from Luna Landers) (.610)
61. Chicago Bobbleheads (.615)
62. South Bolton Eazy W's (.625)
63. Rockford Losers (.652)
64. Ryleh Cultists (.675) - VACATED

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ForeverBWFC posted:

Approve the Bearer's trades damnit! :colbert:
Fine, I approve whatever outstanding trade offers the Bearers are entertaining.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Okay, so remind me of what the offers are again?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Faction Wars: Faction War Harder
Standings
Marauder's Marauders
Fukuoka Finger Bangers: 23-17
Florida Oranges: 21-20
Juneau Juggernauts: 22-19
Luna Landers: 25-16
Total: 91-72 (.558)
Superstars, LLC
Rated R Superstars: 16-25
Great Googly Mooglies: 16-23
Portland Bulldogs: 24-16
R'yleh Cultists: 27-13
Total: 83-77 (.518)

Would do it better but I'm putting in as much effort as the people in the competition so basically I'm saying :effort:

Senerio fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 8, 2012

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Roster Changes:

Carlos Guillen in at 2B for Whitaker

David Ross to start at C, Piazza to personal catch Summers.

Oil Can Boyd in for Jimmy Fuckin' Key at SP

George Mullin in for Tom Seaver at SP

Ken Griffey Jr in as DH for Cabrera.

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Comancheros give '95 Dennis Martinez and '95 Todd Worrell for '91 Jeff Bagwell.

If only I had a Larry Andersen.

I look forward with great interest to the process by which the Bearers decide which new pitcher to start. And select draft preferences.

Bagwell starts at 1B, send down McGwire, Maddux into the rotation.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
New lineups for the Rated R Superstars:

vs RHP

1. Eddie Collins 2B
2. Jimmie Foxx DH
3. Albert Pujols 1B
4. Vladimir Guerrero LF
5. Frank Robinson RF
6. Matt Williams 3B
7. Ivan Rodriguez C
8. Jhonny Peralta SS
9. Larry Doby CF

vs LHP

1. Eddie Collins 2B
2. Jimmie Foxx DH
3. Albert Pujols 1B
4. Vladimir Guerrero LF
5. Frank Robinson RF
6. Andruw Jones CF
7. Matt Williams 3B
8. Ivan Rodriguez C
9. Jhonny Peralta SS

Meanwhile, the Great Googly-Mooglies are saddened to report that your planet's police forces do not understand the ways of our people, and that they take offense to fans and players smoking so much marijuana that Ted Williams goes blind. Luckily I and the team were able to escape arrest, but the cops have set up police tape around the Palace; for the remainder of the season, our home games will be played once again at Fenway Park.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Not good but not terrible has pretty much been the Bobblehead motto since the beginning. I guess I should put a starter in there for Glavine, so call up Schmidt for now.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Viscount Slim posted:

What if I were to bounce Hoyt to short relief and swing Crowder out to the rotation?

Well, the trade with the Phoenixes was open for choice/discussion, but gently caress it, I guess.

It was, with the Comancheros: Jeff Bagwell for Dennis Martinez and Todd Worrell;
with the Phoenixes: Kenny Lofton for Chris Young.

I'm not thrilled, but we have to get this done. I believe ForeverBWFC and CVE, as well as, implicitly, I have approved. kw0134 or Bruiser?

There ya go!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
So a quick question. Who is looking forward to drafting Center Fielders? Because I have the feeling that I won't get top pick there and end up with another injury prone guy who will obviously break down when I need it the least. This would leave me the option of trading my first round pick for a better Center Fielder and a ton of research to find out that I'm not getting duped.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

oldskool posted:

Hey Landers what year is your underperforming Pedro Martinez? I might be willing to trade you my underperforming Mordecai Brown for him.

It's '99 Pedro, and as such, virtually untradeable.

In fact, with the Cultists series coming up this week, I feel it's time to burn a Ratings Challenge.

I don't think I need to explain that Pedro Martinez, during his pre-injury stretch from 1997 to 2001, was in the discussion for greatest pitcher of all time. But this year in the Super League, he has not lived up to that standard. Let's take a closer look:

code:
Pedro Martinez, 1997-2001:
Year   IP     K   BB  HR   ERA   FIP
1997  241.1  305  67  16  1.90  2.37
1998  233.2  251  67  26  2.89  3.36  
1999  213.1  313  37   9  2.07  1.33
2000    217  284  32  17  1.74  2.04
2001  116.2  163  25   5  2.39  1.61
Avg:  204.1  263  46  15  2.18  2.22
I do not have access to Pedro's FIP this season in the Super League, but a rough estimate can be made based on his absence from the top 10 in the league. Here are two possible scenarios, based on his FIP being 11th in the league and his FIP being equal to his ERA:

code:
Pedro Martinez, SL VII scenarios:
Year   IP     K   BB  HR   ERA   FIP
11th  60.1   52   11   6   4.77  3.32
ERA   60.1   52   11  13   4.77  4.82
The Landers' defense has been below average this season for some inexplicable reason, so his FIP should be close to or lower than his ERA, so we'll ignore extreme outliers for now and assume he's given up between 6 and 13 home runs. Let's put those numbers in the context of his real life performance:

code:
Pedro Martinez rate stats, 1997-2001 and SL VII estimates:
Year   K/9   BB/9   HR/9
1997  11.4    2.5    0.6
1998   9.7    2.6    1.0
1999  13.2    1.6    0.4
2000  11.8    1.3    0.7
2001  12.6    1.9    0.4
Avg   11.6    2.0    0.6

11th   7.8    1.6    0.9
ERA    7.8    1.6    1.9
Let's break these numbers down.

Walks
Right now, Pedro's walk rate is 20% lower than it was in real life during the 97-01 stretch. However, because his sample size is only 60 innings so far, this actually falls within the margin of error. Consider: assuming Pedro ends the season at 200 innings, how many walks would he need to finish the year at his average walk rate?

code:
Pedro Martinez, possible walk rates, rest of season:
Year              IP   BB  totIP  totBB  BB/9 (r.o.s.)  BB/9 (full season) 
Current Rate    139.2  25   200     36   1.61           1.62
Rate for 2.0    139.2  34   200     45   2.19           2.03
Historical Rate 139.2  31   200     42   2.01           1.89
In other words, for Pedro's season to end with him walking batters at about his normal rate, he has to walk an extra 9 batters over the course of 139.2 innings more than his current pace, a rate well within his typical season in real life. Walks are not an issue for Pedro.

Strikeouts

The second of the three true outcomes has not been as kind to Pedro. He's struck batters out at a rate 33% lower than in real life. But is this a sample size issue as well?

code:
Pedro Martinez, possible K rates, rest of season:
Year              IP    K  totIP  totK  K/9 (r.o.s.)  K/9 (full season) 
Current Rate    139.2 120   200   172   7.73         7.74
Rate for 11.6   139.2 206   200   258  13.27        11.61
Historical Rate 139.2 180   200   232  11.60        10.44
In order for Pedro to match his real life stats, he would need to strike batters out at nearly twice the rate he currently is, for the rest of the season. Now, of course, the other argument is that pitchers in general get fewer strikeouts in the Super League. And there is some validity to that argument. However, is the Super League so strikeout-poor that he would have to double his rate for the rest of the season to reach his real-life figures? By contrast, pitchers like Mike Mussina, Matt Cain and Yovani Gallardo are matching their strikeout rates exactly. If the Super League depresses strikeouts that significantly, wouldn't it affect them as well? I posit that Pedro's strikeout rates are being excessively depressed by the Super League, and his ratings need tweaking to correct this.

Home Runs

And so we come to the third of the true outcomes. Unlike walks and strikeouts, I do not have exact numbers for Pedro's home run rate. However, as shown earlier, it can be estimated based on the fact that he's not in the top 10 for FIP. Given these estimates, how does Pedro's home run rate stack up?

code:
Pedro Martinez, possible HR rates, rest of season, assuming 11th in FIP:
Year              IP   HR  totIP  totHR HR/9 (r.o.s.) HR/9 (full season) 
Current Rate    139.2  14   200     20  0.90          0.90
Rate for 0.6    139.2   8   200     14  0.52          0.63
Historical Rate 139.2  10   200     16  0.64          0.72

Pedro Martinez, possible HR rates, rest of season, assuming FIP = ERA:
Current Rate    139.2  30   200     43  1.93          1.94
Rate for 0.6    139.2   1   200     14  0.06          0.63
Historical Rate 139.2  10   200     23  0.64          1.04

Pedro Martinez, possible HR rates, rest of season, midpoint between previous:
Current Rate    139.2  23   200     33  1.48          1.49
Rate for 0.6    139.2   4   200     14  0.26          0.63
Historical Rate 139.2  10   200     20  0.64          0.90
The Super League depresses home run rates (there were 13% more home runs in the American League this season than in Super League VI). However, Pedro has seen a significant rise in his home run rate. If he's sitting 11th in FIP in a virtual tie with Josh Johnson, it's just barely statistically possible that he's within the margin of error. However, as his FIP approaches his ERA, his home run rates become positively Jose Lima-esque.

The counter-argument is that Moonbase 0-2 is designed to boost home run rates. However, the park only boosts home runs for right-handed hitters. In 1999, Pedro was death for right-handed hitters, who slugged just .267 against him. And while left-handers fared better against him, Moonbase 0-2 significantly reduces home run rates for lefty hitters. In other words, for purposes of Pedro's home run rate, the park factor should be considered at worst neutral.

Summary

Statistical analysis indicates that, even given the effect of the Super League on his performance, Pedro Martinez is significantly underperforming in terms of home run rate and mildly underperforming in terms of strikeout rate.

EDIT: If possible, I would request that the Commissar expedite this ratings challenge to get it through before the series against the Cultists. Thank you!

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Ott to RF, DiMaggio to DH, Salmon to bench.

That challenge is a lot of words for basically "falls within the margin of error so I don't know why I'm complaining," but since he's in my faction, I agree with him, or against him if that improves his case.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 8, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax
Are we done with challenges yet? If not, I'm going to make some.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Point taken, Smasher. As it is it's probably worth giving a few people a rest anyway, so here's a new lineup with a few changes including Sweeney in for a while to cover a couple of games. With Vaughan out i'm basically boned for a while anyway. Thanks for the up-rating on Posey, by the way. Cabrera was playing more in accordance with his abilities than him, and I have a very young version of the guy.

vs. LHP
2B Joe Morgan
LF Zack Wheat
1B Jack Clark '82
RF Jack Clark '85
CF Bob Elliott
SS Joe Gordon, the horror, the horror
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Mike Sweeney
DH Jose Canseco

vs. RHP
2B Joe Morgan
LF Zack Wheat
RF Jack Clark '85
1B Miguel Cabrera
CF Bob Elliott
SS Joe Gordon
3B Pablo Sandoval
C Mike Sweeney
DH Jose Canseco

Everyone else; i'm in the market for a backup catcher. Extra bonus points if he can also play SS, if that's even possible of a decent player.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 8, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Really important notes for the above analysis. DICE =/= FIP, though not by much, they use a different constant to normalise to ERA and DICE includes HIBP and IBB and FIP does not. Obviously not going to make a massive difference for Pedro, but it is another 171 hits you need to add to the FIP to get it to DICE.

The other thing is that park effects in the SL are +/- 28% for k/9, so you have to know what the parks he is pitching in are.

HR rate in the SL is another can of worms though, but the mystery of his HR rate isn't very mysterious - he's a flyballer and Moonbase 2-0 isn't very big. The SL has the biggest hitters of all time. Putting these facts together...

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 8, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Revenant Threshold posted:

Everyone else; i'm in the market for a backup catcher. Extra bonus points if he can also play SS, if that's even possible of a decent player.

Ahh, the elusive C/SS combination. I wonder why you don't see that more often?

For reference, only one player had 30 starts at both catcher and shortstop in the same season. Whoever it was (I'm too miserly to pay for B-R), he OPS+'ed 79 that year. Suffice to say, he's not the player you're looking for.

factorialite fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 8, 2012

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

I propositioned you with Roseboro, was he not good enough to elicit a response?

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

The Goog posted:

Superbas! You clearly need an upgrade at first base. You've seen what Mike Napoli is capable of, and it isn't pretty. My Mooglies recently acquired Hank Greenberg, so we no longer require the services of 2009 Travis Hafner. Before his demotion, he was one of our best hitters; he's only on the bench because he is exclusively a first baseman, and we already had Greenberg and Jeff Bagwell.

Hafner can be yours for Neftali Feliz and your second-round pick in the Super Draft; if that price isn't acceptable to you, we can negotiate another deal.

Hello friend!

I am definitely willing to part with relievers, but i'm not so convinced that Hafner is so much better than a second round pick would be. Is there something else you would like?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

ForeverBWFC posted:

I propositioned you with Roseboro, was he not good enough to elicit a response?
I'm sorry, I didn't see that post. Having had a look at the guy, it would largely depend on what you were looking to get for him. Do you have any areas in particular you'd like to strengthen, or is there someone in particular you're interested in?

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Smasher League Week 8 Injury Report

(Still) No New Champions

Finger Lakes Phoenixes
Lou Gehrig (1B) (Actually the Tin Horse) - 17 days

Oxbridge Mathematicians

Tim Lincecum (SP) (Clearly was Doctor Who all along) - 20 days

Vice City Goose Eggs
Rance Mulliniks (3B) (Okay, he's not actually injured, but I think you'd be a lot better off if he was)

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

I'm sorry, I didn't see that post. Having had a look at the guy, it would largely depend on what you were looking to get for him. Do you have any areas in particular you'd like to strengthen, or is there someone in particular you're interested in?

Honestly, no one on your team (bar Romo, who I'm assuming isn't for sale) appeals to me. However, my team is having an unprecedented start, and this means that my pick is unacceptably low. What I propose is this:

Roseboro and the W's 1st round pick for The Mathematicians 1st and 2nd round picks

This way you use your 2nd round pick on an acceptable back-up catcher (a fair trade considering the catching pool in this draft) and you keep your 1st round pick too, it's just lower. Knowing how desperate you are, I could be a lot harsher, I'm sure you'll agree.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Nerokerubina posted:

I am definitely willing to part with relievers, but i'm not so convinced that Hafner is so much better than a second round pick would be. Is there something else you would like?

I was hoping to get the pick because of the flexibility it offers, but I totally understand your desire to hang onto it. Would you be willing to move just Feliz for Hafner?

EDIT: Additionally, the following amended draft priority list is submitted on behalf of the Rated R Superstars, pending an additional 31% of ownership's approval:

1955 Ted Williams
2001 Chipper Jones
1980 Nolan Ryan
2008 Johan Santana
1998 Derek Jeter
1930 Joe Cronin
1997 Kevin Brown
1922 Grover Cleveland Alexander
1975 Carlton Fisk
1989 Rickey Henderson
1990 Rob Dibble
1983 Goose Gossage
1989 Dennis Eckersley
1978 Tug McGraw
2009 Rafael Betancourt
Best Player Available

The Goog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 8, 2012

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

factorialite posted:

Are we done with challenges yet?

I sure hope so. The people who need them don't have the collateral to make 'em, and the powerful getting more so isn't ideal either.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I originally wanted out-for-the-year Berkman, but if you actually are considering another season, I'll rein in the usury and be fine with '91 Kenny Lofton for '06 Chris Young.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Smasher, let me just say I like the callbacks in the injury reports.

ForeverBWFC posted:

Roseboro and the W's 1st round pick for The Mathematicians 1st and 2nd round picks

This way you use your 2nd round pick on an acceptable back-up catcher (a fair trade considering the catching pool in this draft) and you keep your 1st round pick too, it's just lower. Knowing how desperate you are, I could be a lot harsher, I'm sure you'll agree.

That's just mean, man. Sweeney would be fine for you, Revenant Threshold, playing one in five, or I'll sell you Sandy Alomar or Carlton Fisk for one of your Jack Clarks or a pick or something. I also have Don Money, who can play any infield spot - he's no world-beater, but it beats playing Joe Gordon out of position, and I'm not gonna rob you for him. Arky Vaughan is coming back for you, so I don't imagine you want my Yount or Renteria.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

: Okay, so, Dunn Force! Where were we? Right, Episode 1: Day of the Dunn Part One. Enter on a scene of everyday White Sox DH Adam Dunn, most beloved man in all of Chicago as he's cleaning out his locker after another successful season with the White Sox. Robin Ventura has a cameo here to tell Adam Dunn that he's really happy with how Dunn did this season, and that it's totally not his fault the Sox collapsed down the stretch. Anyway, Dunn is walking to the Blue Line so he can get to O'Hare to fly down to Texas for the offseason when, suddenly, he's attacked by The Three True Outcomes! You see, their Richie Sexson's elite group of henchmen and they're...let's say Dave Kingman, Mark Reynolds and Eddie Yost. Anyway, they saw that their master, the evil Richie Sexson, will give them great rewards once they have brought him the head of Adam Dunn. But Adam Dunn is taken out so easily, and he fights back with his own three true outcome powers. Still, it's three-against-one, and just as Adam Dunn seems like he's beaten, who should appear but...cyber-Dunn! TO BE CONTINUED!

Super-League VII, Dynamo League Week 8: I Would Watch Dunn Force

Games of the Week

blackmongoose posted:

This is blackmongoose speaking, and this is my time. Please attend me now.

For seven seasons, you have denied me my rightful place in the pantheon of the Super-League. You have deified the Skyhawks and the Finger-Bangers and so many others, but I am ignored. My city-team slandered, forgotten.

There was a time when my team was treated with respect, when the Silent Dome was a house of horrors from which teams shrank in terror. Because, in the dome of my city-team, they found that which they did not and could understand, as their corrupted minds could not comprehend the glory therein.

But times changed, and the majesty of our new civilization no longer impressed the new breed of owner, who cared little for anything other than their personal glory. Indeed, the proliferation of these so-called 'secondary titles', false championships handed out like so much free candy to the masses in order to placate them. The only real championship is the Super-League Championship. Any other so-called championship is just a false creation designed to lull you into a false sense of accomplishment so that you will ignore the decaying society around you.

No more. I have stripped you of these false idols. Last week, I took the European Title from the Finger-Bangers, this week I have taken the United States title from the Dervishes. In doing so, I have shared with them a kindness that you would not extend to me. I have freed them from their delusions. Neither team was a champion of any sort. The Finger-Bangers, for all their bluster, have choked in the last two Super-League Finals. Their time is over, and now they understand that. The Dervishes are a dead end. A road that goes nowhere. Taking this title from them was a mercy, so that they could better appreciate the futility of their efforts.

Please, do not think me an unfeeling monster. The things I do, the pain I inflict, is not done out of malice or anger, but out of kindness. The Unspecifieds are the future. You are the past. Join us, accept us as your saviors, and find peace. Resist us, and you will still find peace...of a different sort.

We are the United States and European Champions. This brings me no joy. Only the Super-League Championship can do that for me, and so mote it be.

Glory be to the city and team, indivisible.

Box Score

Don May posted:

DAYDREAMERS ONE-HIT REELING ORANGES

Florida City- The Daydreamers only scored one run. Then again, that was more than enough.

The Oranges have both Pujols and Bonds in their lineup. Their offense, and it certainly was their offense, for their pitching has always been suspect, has taken them to three straight postseasons. And yet, today, it sputtered, failed, and crashed by the side of the road. It was quite sad, really.

Still, when one team falls, another rises, and today it was the Daydreamers who were able to profit off of the Oranges' disaster. gingemidget, owner of the Daydreamers seemed relieved that his team could win at least one game from the Oranges, "I must say, I was more than a little concerned that my team would get swept. There is much about this game of baseball that I do not as of yet understand, but one thing that is clear is-" And that's when oldskool interrupted gingemidget's remarks, as he is wont to do.

"You know, gingemidget, you talk a lot about...wait, what were you talking about? You one-hit my team! You're supposed to boast about that, and then I come in, and vow that my Oranges are going to get their revenge by kicking your rear end in tomorrow's game or something. That's how this whole thing works, drat it! What the gently caress is wrong with your British people? Where's your machismo? And don't talk to me about Jason Statham or something like that, because being a wooden actor isn't the same thing." oldskool then threw up his hands in frustration, overcome with irritation that gingemidget had given him little to play off of.

For his part, gingemidget was apologetic, "Ah, yes, that is my fault. As you know, we Britons tend to be more understated than you Yanks. Typically, I let Mr. Dunn take care of that sort of thing, but he has the day off, so I don't know that there is anything I can do for you. Again, apologies all round."

Box Score

"Don [s posted:

May[/s] Slaught"]

DON SLAUGHT, P.I. FAILS TO SOLVE CASE OF THE MISSING STARTERS, GUMSHOES LOSE 4-0

Raleigh- It was a dark and stormy night.

Somewhere out there, someone needed an answer that only I could provide. They needed to know the truth behind the Old Hoss Radbourns. I didn't know much about them myself. Sure, I had heard about them, heard their reputation for being a team so unrealistically bad that they seemed like someone's idea of sick joke.

But I had to find out for sure.

The Gumshoes were playing them tonight, and, as usual, they had no need of me. To them, I'm just some washed-up detective/backup catcher. I'd like to think of myself as more but who am I kidding, the old Don Slaught's buried under twenty years of regret and a sea of double-scotches.

I started my investigation down at the bar down the street from the stadium. I ordered a scotch and told the bartender to keep them coming. Four hours later, things started to become a bit hazy. I had had fifteen scotches, and was feeling a bit woozy. I thought that someone must have drugged me. Looking around, I saw a shifty figure to my left. I instinctively knew that he was responsible. He denied it, and that's when the drugs really kicked in and I passed out. Once again, my investigation had come to a dead end.

But some day, I'll swear I'll find the truth of the Radbourns, even if it kills me...

Oh, and we lost when Wilbur Wood pitched seven shutout innings against us. That was kind of a downer.

Box Score

Numbers

Analysis

I guess Cliff Lee can work in the Super-League after all.

Analysis

When Shawkey comes off the injured list, it's probably time to put him in over Vance.

Analysis

I would guess the Imperialists will probably overtake the Bulldogs if McDowell can be just a little less comically awful. Whether that's going to happen, though, is uncertain.

Analysis

Why is your team so unlucky, anyway? It feels like every season they end up in a situation like this.

Oh, and Free Valenzuela!

Analysis

Shame about the U.S. Title, especially that you got beaten in a 1-0 game to lose it. Hey, but at least Morgan has eight home runs in only eight weeks.

Analysis

Morneau's almost back which is not exactly good, but not really bad, either. It's kind of neutral.

Analysis

Feller is from '54, meaning he has no power left in his arm. He's going to need to be replaced, probably. Fortunately, you have just the pick necessary to get such a replacement.

Analysis

I feel like your team might be getting better. Or maybe it's an illusion.

Then again, the game also thinks that Tanana's arm is basically blown out by 1978, so that's probably something you should look into.

Analysis

Disaster!

Analysis

Hello...hello...hello...is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me...

But seriously, you still out there, Beckett?

Analysis

How? Just how?

Analysis

Bando/Beltre is an interesting debate. Beltre has a better glove and more power, but Bando is probably the overall better hitter, and is a decent enough glove himself.

Analysis

Might be time to experiment with Kent at 3B.

Analysis

Crush! Kill! Destroy!

Analysis

Not a great start, but I've seen teams come back from a lot worse.

Analysis

So...uh...I'm going to assume that the Bagwell trade was a loving homage to the real life Bagwell trade that sent him to the Astros in the first place.

Standings and Leaders

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

: Ay yo. Anyone of joo who ain't my kids can go beat it. Yeah. I thought so. My name? John Lackey. But joo can call me, Da Bad Guy. I noticed our esteemed commish, Smasher Dynamo, he made a typo in his injury report post. Let me fix it for him.

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Vice City Goose Eggs
Whole team (3B) (Okay, they're not actually injured, but I think you'd be a lot better off if they were)

: This team? It's a mess, mang. There ain't no plan C. I knew this when I whooped their asses in th' Super League Challenge. I did y'all a favor by gettin' rid of that Troy Tulowitzki. He ain't no good for th' Super League. I knew I had to take over, and I did. There ain't much hope for these guys. I'm just here, for th' drugs, th' liquor, and th' babes. I'm single and ready to mingle.

: Dude. You divorced your wife when she had cancer. What the hell is wrong with you?

: Ouch. Ya know somethin', kid? I like your moxie. Joo got kids to feed after all.

: :(

: Joo can stay, chico. This time is a dumpster fire, so I gotta clean it up nice before it gets relegated, or somethin'. I guess Robinson Cano suffered enough. Here are lineups.

vs. left handed pitchers (DH)

1) 1B George Sisler
2) RF Al Kaline
3) DH George Bell
4) CF Indian Bob Johnson
5) LF Ken Williams
6) 2B Robinson Cano
7) 3B Buddy Bell
8) C Ernie Whitt
9) SS Tony Fernandez

vs. right handed pitchers (DH)

1) 1B George Sisler
2) 2B Nellie Fox
3) CF Indian Bob Johnson
4) LF Ken Williams
5) RF Al Kaline
6) DH George Bell
7) C Ernie Whitt
8) 3B Buddy Bell
9) SS Tony Fernandez

: As far as th' draft goes? Well, we're pickin' 6th right about now, and I dunno if that's a good spot or not. This team needs all the improvements everywhere, and if we might be afraid to take a guy too high. If we can get Williams or Ryan, or even Alexander or that Yankee prick Derek Jeter, then dat's cool. We'll see where th' next few weeks take us.

I also got this sweet ride. Some sort of Astro-Cycle thing. Apparently some savior of the universe kinda guy had this thing but he ain't hittin' enough to keep this thing. I

Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Cultists Challenge for 1982 Paul Molitor

Sandberg and Cuyler as collateral

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 9, 2012

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Analysis

Hello...hello...hello...is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me...

But seriously, you still out there, Beckett?

Oh, indeed. I love the GotW writeups for us. And our Championship, of course.

Just enjoying the devastating collision of pastoral deadball whimsy with the idiosyncratic reality of the this shared Super-League illusion.

That said, I guess we should try Nap Rucker over Reuschel.

How many, expressed in dozens, errors does Kelley have at third?

Note to self: Start Giacomo Perez at third in September, stage reimagining of Tosca with Soviet bloc trappings.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Posting from the phone so no banner

For one week: Swap Stan and Foxx against Righties

Also, as Gabby Harntett is hitting like a demon and Irod is.. not:

Irod catches for Walter Johnson and Christy Mathewson.
Remove Gabby Hartnett's personal catcher orders for Steve and Pedro
Swap Gabby and Irod in the left handed and right handed orders (so Gabby hits in Irod's slot against righties, Irod hits in Gabbies slot against lefties)

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 9, 2012

factorialite
Mar 3, 2008

by Lowtax

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Cultists Challenge for 1982 Paul Molitor

Sandberg and Cuyler as collateral

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Can I trade my draft picks to your for those players, which you can then ante up? If you win, we can trade back. If not, tough: you lost anyway, what do you care?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

factorialite posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Can I trade my draft picks to your for those players, which you can then ante up? If you win, we can trade back. If not, tough: you lost anyway, what do you care?

Smasher has just veto'ed me challenging.. so it's irrelevant now otherwise I'd be intrested , sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rochester Generics
If Mogul thinks Kent can play 3B, then let's do it. Mogul is really really really down on Santo.