Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hondo82 posted:

I beat this game on my 360 a couple days ago, and thinking about it one of the things I really liked about it were the choices it gave you. In the Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age, the choices clearly divide between Good/Evil and it's pretty clear you know what you're choosing is best for whatever way you decided to play the game.

Yup the moral ambiguity and grey areas is one of the elements what makes The Witcher unique compared to the standard RPG troupes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's a combination of that and the fact that the different choices actually lead to different gameplay. In most other RPGs, choices only seem to produce different dialogue/cutscenes.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

With regards to the ending:
I sided with Iorveth and freed Saskia from the curse, the game ended up with a massacre and I decided to let Letho go as it felt there'd already been enough murder that day and I'd already gotten his full story... Are there any endings which don't end up with everybody dead or on the run?

Pumped for the sequel, I love the effort CD Projekt has put in to make a solid and beautiful RPG.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

VodeAndreas posted:

I sided with Iorveth and freed Saskia from the curse, the game ended up with a massacre and I decided to let Letho go as it felt there'd already been enough murder that day and I'd already gotten his full story... Are there any endings which don't end up with everybody dead or on the run?

Pumped for the sequel, I love the effort CD Projekt has put in to make a solid and beautiful RPG.

I guess you mean the mages. If you save Triss instead she deflects blame away from the sorceresses so they don't get all kilt. I haven't played through the ending since they released 2.0 though so maybe it's different. But I don't think they'd change anything that's already in.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Th endings are all pretty different and I would highly suggest playing the game at least a second time in order to do Roche's path.

majestic12 posted:

I guess you mean the mages. If you save Triss instead she deflects blame away from the sorceresses so they don't get all kilt. I haven't played through the ending since they released 2.0 though so maybe it's different. But I don't think they'd change anything that's already in.

More specifically she still exposes Phillipa and Sile's plan but shields the rest of the sorceresses of blame leaving no justification for the witch hunt. However Saskia is either dead or still under Phillipa's control and the fate of the new Pontar state is up in the air.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

SpRahl posted:

Th endings are all pretty different and I would highly suggest playing the game at least a second time in order to do Roche's path.

More specifically she still exposes Phillipa and Sile's plan but shields the rest of the sorceresses of blame leaving no justification for the witch hunt. However Saskia is either dead or still under Phillipa's control and the fate of the new Pontar state is up in the air.

Thanks.

Yeah I was trying to end up with a good ending for Saskia but in the process seem to have screwed everyone else, oh well :v:

I'm definitely going to do a 2nd play through on Roche's path, seems that there's a lot of extra content there to explore still and add a new perspective to the story and how things are shades of grey not just black and white like so many games these days. We seriously need more high budget eastern european games, love them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That's Witcher 2 in a nutshell. None of the endings are completely happy. Every choice saves someone and dooms others.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Lycus posted:

That's Witcher 2 in a nutshell. None of the endings are completely happy. Every choice saves someone and dooms others.

And that's why I love it so goddamn much. There is no optimal path. Just different choices.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
Is there a written breakdown of combat that's easier to reference than replaying the tutorial arena? I feel like I'm missing out on a mechanical depth that the fighting must have--or is this because I don't have much of the tree skill unlocked yet?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lycus posted:

Well apart from how an ice age turns up and kills everyone regardless of what happens.

Going to put this out there, I really didn't enjoy either the storyline or playing the Witcher 2, the combat felt about as much fun as eating a sack of live frogs and the actual storyline did not make me like any of the characters, I wanted to take Geralts advice and just leave. Everyone talks about how the choices aren't "wrong or right" but to me they all seem utterly wrong, every last one of them seems to involve hurting people on an industrial scale and we get enough of that in the real world, why on earth would I want to spend my lesiure time doing it?

I know that its shallow and these points have probably been commented on before, but I just could not find something I wanted to keep playing in the game, and I just wondered why do you guys enjoy it? It's going against current convention of how RPG's are done, is in the combat, graphics or story?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Josef bugman posted:

Well apart from how an ice age turns up and kills everyone regardless of what happens.

Going to put this out there, I really didn't enjoy either the storyline or playing the Witcher 2, the combat felt about as much fun as eating a sack of live frogs and the actual storyline did not make me like any of the characters, I wanted to take Geralts advice and just leave. Everyone talks about how the choices aren't "wrong or right" but to me they all seem utterly wrong, every last one of them seems to involve hurting people on an industrial scale and we get enough of that in the real world, why on earth would I want to spend my lesiure time doing it?

I know that its shallow and these points have probably been commented on before, but I just could not find something I wanted to keep playing in the game, and I just wondered why do you guys enjoy it? It's going against current convention of how RPG's are done, is in the combat, graphics or story?

While I didn't mind the combat system myself it definitely had a lot of room for improvement.

I also wouldn't say that it's the player driving the conflict, you're set as someone trying to make the best of a bad situation and pressed to choose a side in order to get closer to your goals and save your own life. I don't really feel that at any given point it was Geralt setting out to kill other people - a Witcher's place in the world is to clear out the monsters but the affairs of kings are their business.

I haven't read any of the books but I watched through the TV series after finishing the first game (I think I saw Saskia's dad there?) and enjoy the setting, it's definitely dystopian (and post apocalyptic!) compared to most fantasy games and that gives it some good flavour rather than the same happy forest elves and dwarven miners you normally get.

I found the story overall weaker than the first game, railroading you between locations - and due to the 2 storyline split each individual one might feel a bit short if you don't want to have to play the game twice, but the graphics were amazing which combined with the setting and general atmosphere made the game what it was to me, the functional cross platform interface and world building journal entries also deserve a mention.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Josef bugman posted:

I enjoyed the storyline and playing witcher 2. Game looking like sex didn't hurt either.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Zoolooman posted:

Is there a written breakdown of combat that's easier to reference than replaying the tutorial arena? I feel like I'm missing out on a mechanical depth that the fighting must have--or is this because I don't have much of the tree skill unlocked yet?

M1 does a light sword attack, also has a built in lunge for medium range.

M2 is a slow, uncancelable heavy attack that stuns light enemies even through their blocks, which prevents them from counteratacking you while you're stunned from hitting a block.

holding E reduces the damage you take but drains "mana" called Vigor

Ctrl allows you to map things to your Q(left) and R(right) in addition to swapping between your steel sword(use vs humans) and silver sword(use vs everything else) and entering the skill tree/buffs/crafting menu.

Q casts spells. Aard=force push, Igni=fireball, Quen=shield, Yrden=stunning landmine, Axii=mind control/stun/mesmerize, works rarely, if ever. Casting spells also drains "mana". Your melee attacks suffer a damage penalty if you are low on mana, down to 50% if you're completely dry.

R uses gadgets. These come in the form of bombs and traps. Bombs are impact grenades that you throw at a targeted enemy and traps are mines that you drop and can pick up again if not used with some exceptions. Once deployed, you can also disarm certain traps, this way they won't go off on contact but can be remotely detonated by throwing bombs at them or from chain reactions from other traps.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

keyframe posted:

I enjoyed the storyline and playing witcher 2. Game looking like sex didn't hurt either.

And not many RPGs have a questline where the main hero has whores ride him around like he's a horse as part of the humiliation tattoo story.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zoolooman posted:

The combat is really about strategy, choosing when you strike and who to strike. If you're facing a group you never want to get in the middle of them, you want to strike those on the outside and roll away, throw a bomb, roll or lunge back in to attack one on the outside and move away again. I died a lot through the game, but most of that was because I got in the middle of guys and tried to mash buttons. You take significantly more damage if an enemy hits you on your back.

The Aard magic (the stun) is really useful, use it on someone a distance away and then do a light attack to lunge in there, hit a few times then back off.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

What's the key for locking onto a target? I know there was one.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Zoolooman posted:

What's the key for locking onto a target? I know there was one.

Alt.

I'm working on a writeup for combat, hopefully I'll have it up in a day or two.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

Coughing Hobo posted:

Alt.

I'm working on a writeup for combat, hopefully I'll have it up in a day or two.

I appreciate that. I feel like I could be a complete badass and have a ton of fun, but it also feels like the game is willing to let me fail terribly. I want to know the fastest path to badassery. I loved the original Witcher game so much.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Asehujiko posted:

M1 does a light sword attack, also has a built in lunge for medium range.

M2 is a slow, uncancelable heavy attack that stuns light enemies even through their blocks, which prevents them from counteratacking you while you're stunned from hitting a block.

holding E reduces the damage you take but drains "mana" called Vigor

Ctrl allows you to map things to your Q(left) and R(right) in addition to swapping between your steel sword(use vs humans) and silver sword(use vs everything else) and entering the skill tree/buffs/crafting menu.

Q casts spells. Aard=force push, Igni=fireball, Quen=shield, Yrden=stunning landmine, Axii=mind control/stun/mesmerize, works rarely, if ever. Casting spells also drains "mana". Your melee attacks suffer a damage penalty if you are low on mana, down to 50% if you're completely dry.

R uses gadgets. These come in the form of bombs and traps. Bombs are impact grenades that you throw at a targeted enemy and traps are mines that you drop and can pick up again if not used with some exceptions. Once deployed, you can also disarm certain traps, this way they won't go off on contact but can be remotely detonated by throwing bombs at them or from chain reactions from other traps.
I can't believe you left out the most important thing! Spacebar or double-tap WASD = Roll. Roll as if your life depends on it (it does).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PlushCow posted:

By the end of the game in Loc Muinne, fighting a big group of soldiers was thrilling as I danced in and out and through them leaving a trail of dead in my wake.

I like Dethmold's line on Geralt casually mentioning there were five guards with the guy he killed to finish one of his sidequests: "You killed six men? People like you should be isolated."

The Witcher 2 occasionally reminds you that the wake of gore you leave behind you as a video game hero is not normal or healthy. It's really no wonder everyone is frightened of Witchers because they've seen what you can do.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Letho fight is impossible.

Is there anyway I can win this? Here is my save file of the fight:

http://depositfiles.com/files/xxmtpsi83

My character does too little damage and gets taken out easily. Yes, I think it's possible for me to keep dodging Letho, but it's possible in the same way it's possible for me to collect 300 grains of sand with tweezers. Too long and boring.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Good news: You only need to get him down to half of his health and this fight will only be hard one time, we've all been there.

If you've got a sword build and enough stamina, just laying into him with light and heavy blows and a few shots of aard whenever his quen is down is a good tactic.

Placing yrdens to get him stuck doesn't work every time but is very effective when it does, since it means you can get behind him and strike at his back.

Bombs and traps alone or in combination is also a viable tactic.

If you go back a few pages in this thread there are many more advice on this fight. Stick with it!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Opus125 posted:

The Letho fight is impossible.

Is there anyway I can win this? Here is my save file of the fight:

http://depositfiles.com/files/xxmtpsi83

My character does too little damage and gets taken out easily. Yes, I think it's possible for me to keep dodging Letho, but it's possible in the same way it's possible for me to collect 300 grains of sand with tweezers. Too long and boring.

Most of the difficulty is from not entirely grasping combat in the game, trust me second time through the game Letho is a cakewalk. Really I like to think of the Letho fight as how all the other npcs feel when they fight Geralt.

Anyway in addition to what Capt Scandinavia said you can (or could they may have rebalanced it) stunlock Letho by spamming knives. Tossing bombs also works well. Do not attack Letho when his quen is up as it wont do anything (aard and yrden are still effective) and do not try to block his attacks unless he is already swinging his sword as if you hold block he will just aard or igni you. If you get far away he will throw bombs which can gently caress you up if you dont dodge them so try to stay close to him.

Yrden is your best bet though, trap him then stab him in the back three times then eiher back off and repeat or circle dodge roll around him and stab him the the sides.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Letho fight is horse poo poo. If he beats you then you get a game over, if you beat him then he suddenly beats you anyway and the game continues as normal.

It's like, bwah. :psyduck:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Bombs never really worked well for me against Letho, so I stick to simple Yrden/Aard tactics.

Whenever his Quen is up, drop an Yrden and bait him. If it doesn't stun him, roll clear and try again. If it does stun him, position yourself at his back and wait for the Quen to drop, then wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks.

Whenever his Quen is down, do a quick side roll (to dodge a possible counter-Aard) and then immediately Aard. Roll toward him and, while he's getting up, wail on him with quick strikes until he blocks.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 4, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Stuns are your only real tactic. Use Yrden, knives, Aard. Bombs don't really work. Get in for some quick sword cuts while he's stunned and then get out fast. That fight is really hard.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Stuns are your only real tactic. Use Yrden, knives, Aard. Bombs don't really work. Get in for some quick sword cuts while he's stunned and then get out fast. That fight is really hard.
What what Letho does to you and copy it back. Yeah, he has some pretty bullshit Aards, but hey. Aard for a few hits of your sword. Roll like crazy. Quen when he Quens, then outlast his. Bombs, knives, whatever.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wow, thanks for the advice guys, the fight was surprisingly more simple than I thought. I only had to keep using Aard to stun him and rolling sideways to dodge sword swipes and magic. I never let him cast his Quen once. What comes next? What comes next in this most glorious of games?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Not harder fights? I think that fight gave me the most trouble of any in the game. The power curve is pretty wonky.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I think what I liked most about the Letho fight is that it really taught me how to fight like a Witcher. Before I had been pretty much a one trick pony with swordsmanship, and good enough at it to get by. After though, I kept bombs and traps and potions on hand, prepared my battlefields, and fought dirty as poo poo with signs and poisons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Definitely. Some of the monster hunts had taught me the value of traps and bombs, but there was still room to maneuver and I generally kept Quen up at all times. Humanoids were a joke as long as I picked them apart from the sides.

Letho, on the other hand, upfront seems like the kind of fight you're supposed to play and lose. After a bit of trial-and-error, something just clicks and the combat feels even more engaging than before. Multiple ways to go about it - for me it was as simple as upgrading the roll to 2x distance, then getting the timing of his signs down and always leaving room to evade.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I just got this on steam wanted a new game to test out my new rig, question for those who have played it, should I go with a mouse/keyboard or controller? Don't want to switch half way after getting used to it.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

flashman posted:

I just got this on steam wanted a new game to test out my new rig, question for those who have played it, should I go with a mouse/keyboard or controller? Don't want to switch half way after getting used to it.

I have no idea how mouse and keyboard would feel since I've only played on the 360, but so far the gamepad controls have felt really intuitive.

I've finished almost all the side-quest in Act 1 and was thinking about advancing the plot. Are there any specific formulas, items or other stuff that are only available in the first act that I should definitely get? I checked the Witcher wikia for Insectoid oil and apparently its formula is only available in first act. This just made anxious if I'm accidentally missing something crucial related to crafting or some other stuff.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

flashman posted:

There's an optional tutorial, so you could always play through that twice to see what feels best for you.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

flashman posted:

Mouse and keyboard works just as well as the controller, go with whatever you generally feel most comfortable with.

RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho
I've never played a game where animations ruined the flow of combat to the degree of Witcher 2's and I prefer Witcher 1's click-when-sword-flashes system to this mess.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Did you just recently start playing? It seems almost everyone hates the combat at first until they actually get proficient at it.

At some point it just seems to click. Also, sword skills help.

RobTG
Sep 11, 2001

by T. Finninho

PureRok posted:

Did you just recently start playing? It seems almost everyone hates the combat at first until they actually get proficient at it.

At some point it just seems to click. Also, sword skills help.

No, I've beaten the game twice. It's just annoying that at times Geralt picks the "wrong" animation and suddenly the riposte is meaningless because the target already has their shield back up. Another big problem is how an enemy is actually blocking when switching from a bow to a sword, even though the animation is showing them still drawing their weapon. It's like a big "hit me" sign that causes Geralt to recoil away like an idiot.

RobTG fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2012

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Blargh, sorry, Zooloo, I've been ballcrushingly busy the past couple days, but starting tomorrow I have a three-day weekend in which I can put some serious time into finishing up the write-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RobTG posted:

I've never played a game where animations ruined the flow of combat to the degree of Witcher 2's and I prefer Witcher 1's click-when-sword-flashes system to this mess.

Gonna have to agree with this. I thought Witcher 1's combat animations were superior and Witcher 2's combat, while perhaps mechanically superior to Witcher 1, was somewhat clunky and frustrating. The animation and the enemy's state were often not synchronized very well. In the first game this was less of an issue simply because the combat was less interactive. In the second game with tighter mechanics, the fact that the animations could mislead you about the enemy's state becomes a serious problem precisely because the mechanics are tighter and more interactive.

• Locked thread