Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

V-Men posted:

The girlfriend and I thought they were going to structure the season into a future timeline and current timeline, to depict Fringe Division's initial attempt to resist the Observer invasion. To give its current efforts some historical context.

I'm a little leery at notion of a fetch quest for a season.

Also, does anyone else get the impression Walter's Plan involves rewriting the timeline? The Observers are from the future; short of locking them out of your timeline, how would you prevent them from re-invading at some future point?

The last time they did something like that, it was a search for the pieces of the machine Peter used to join the universes. I think it lasted around three episodes and was only the A-plot for one of them--most of the searching happened off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jack Gladney posted:

The last time they did something like that, it was a search for the pieces of the machine Peter used to join the universes. I think it lasted around three episodes and was only the A-plot for one of them--most of the searching happened off-screen.

Yeah but that's because they were just looking for a bunch of things buried in the ground. This is surely going to be more complicated and more involved, especially considering the fact that all of them are wanted fugitives and can't even travel in the city.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm just glad it seems like they're finally getting rid of the whole procedural stuff. I never liked cop and investigation shows and always thought it was really stupid in Fringe.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm just glad it seems like they're finally getting rid of the whole procedural stuff. I never liked cop and investigation shows and always thought it was really stupid in Fringe.

That was part of the fun of Fringe. They were Fringe Division. :psyduck:

Double Deuce
Nov 26, 2011
I'm liking the season so far, but one thing is bugging me. Do we know anything about why the Observers are super dicks? The "Letters of Transit" intro only said "they stopped watching... and seized control." But why? Is it just speculation that they ruined their own time and need to take over ours just to survive, or was that confirmed in an episode? Maybe this is something we're going to find out later, and it will explain the experimentation in the last episode. I hope so, anyway. Because it's cheesy to have villains with no motivation.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Double Deuce posted:

I'm liking the season so far, but one thing is bugging me. Do we know anything about why the Observers are super dicks? The "Letters of Transit" intro only said "they stopped watching... and seized control." But why? Is it just speculation that they ruined their own time and need to take over ours just to survive, or was that confirmed in an episode? Maybe this is something we're going to find out later, and it will explain the experimentation in the last episode. I hope so, anyway. Because it's cheesy to have villains with no motivation.

Walter said that they came from the future and they destroyed society.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
I can't be the only one who got a serious :lost: vibe from this episode. Low quality video footage where portions are missing. Two Lost actors, and the scene where they open the tunnel door and the camera pans out to see them peeking inside.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Double Deuce posted:

From what I remember, people like September, basically the Observers you see from S1-4 were basically the civilian scientists of their (our!) race. So they basically only showed up to, well, observe things, like Fringe events, or important historical moments, etc.

The problem with the Observer race is they are killing their planet and have no other solution to saving it. But hey, guess what, the military arm of their race probably finds out about the time traveling thing and basically use it to invade and take over to get away from their world. Obviously that makes us their ancestors but you know, trying to explain how that happens is :suicide: worthy, or you can pretend it's like the series 3 finale of the new Doctor Who. (but not really at all)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Sober posted:

Obviously that makes us their ancestors but you know, trying to explain how that happens is :suicide: worthy, or you can pretend it's like the series 3 finale of the new Doctor Who. (but not really at all)

Or just assume they're from another dimension as well, and then it's no problem at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HanabaL03 posted:

I can't be the only one who got a serious :lost: vibe from this episode. Low quality video footage where portions are missing. Two Lost actors, and the scene where they open the tunnel door and the camera pans out to see them peeking inside.

You know, I didn't even recognize Radzinsky until you pointed him out. He looks completely different with hair.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And here's a thought I haven't had until now: do you suppose anyone will mention Ella and Olivia's sister and the likely possibility that they both died horribly? Or maybe she'll turn up alive and played by the same woman who played adult Ella at the end of season 3.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jack Gladney posted:

And here's a thought I haven't had until now: do you suppose anyone will mention Ella and Olivia's sister and the likely possibility that they both died horribly? Or maybe she'll turn up alive and played by the same woman who played adult Ella at the end of season 3.
When was the last time they were even on the show? I don't remember them appearing last season.

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

FlamingLiberal posted:

When was the last time they were even on the show? I don't remember them appearing last season.

Pretty sure it was season 3.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

There entire history is different. Olivia now has a niece and a nephew.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sober posted:

From what I remember, people like September, basically the Observers you see from S1-4 were basically the civilian scientists of their (our!) race. So they basically only showed up to, well, observe things, like Fringe events, or important historical moments, etc.

The problem with the Observer race is they are killing their planet and have no other solution to saving it. But hey, guess what, the military arm of their race probably finds out about the time traveling thing and basically use it to invade and take over to get away from their world. Obviously that makes us their ancestors but you know, trying to explain how that happens is :suicide: worthy, or you can pretend it's like the series 3 finale of the new Doctor Who. (but not really at all)

Seems to make sense as the Observers have a Ministry of Science and a Ministry of Defense. Otherwise, I would note that perhaps Observer civilization is like the University of Planet from Alpha Centauri -- science without ethics.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 8, 2012

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

HanabaL03 posted:

You and EW's Jeff Jensen. Beware of an analysis that is too long and too stretching. I read it because, sometimes, he remembers a call back or something that no one else does.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"September" actor is on HBO's Treme as some sort of music agent from Texas. He still sounds like he does on Fringe though but with a Texas accent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Now I'm just imagining all his weird monotone lines about space-time and inevitability with "pard'ner" stuck on the end.

Monkeyspit
Mar 4, 2004

The fact is: The fish got changed more often than the water

Jack Gladney posted:

You know, I didn't even recognize Radzinsky until you pointed him out. He looks completely different with hair.

Thank you! It was killing me that I couldn't pinpoint where I'd seen him before.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I bet Desmond wishes he used a stick to push the other guy out now.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Man, I picked the best time to rewatch the child Observer episode from Season 1.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
I was going with a little pet theory for a while, and I'm wondering how well it will hold up this season, or if there'll be some kind of explanation otherwise. When William Bell came a hair's breadth away from collapsing the Universe as we know it, I thought the Observers felt it necessary to step in and prevent us from destroying reality. I can imagine the military or governing body of their society getting the Observation Reports and being like ARE YOU loving SERIOUS? HE WHAT?!? HOW MANY UNIVERSES?!

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Their worries would be unfounded then, considering they still existed.

Double Deuce
Nov 26, 2011

Sober posted:

The problem with the Observer race is they are killing their planet and have no other solution to saving it.
Wait, when was that established? Was I not paying attention?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Double Deuce posted:

Wait, when was that established? Was I not paying attention?

Last season. Walter was going on about the Observer history.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Webbeh posted:

Man, I picked the best time to rewatch the child Observer episode from Season 1.

Yeah how the holy hell does that episode fit into this? Did some Observer kids get their hands on daddy's time travel device and accidentally go back in time?

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FrensaGeran posted:

Yeah how the holy hell does that episode fit into this? Did some Observer kids get their hands on daddy's time travel device and accidentally go back in time?
I can't imagine there's much there. The simplest explanation would be accidental transfer during a Fringe event from some intermediate 'space' where all the women and children hang out.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The other simplest explanation is that the resemblance is coincidental and the look they give each other at the end is out of mutual confusion.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Knowing this show the Observer kid and September will turn out to be the same person. It could explain his affinity for Walter and the Fringe crew.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

General Ironicus posted:

The other simplest explanation is that the resemblance is coincidental and the look they give each other at the end is out of mutual confusion.

Yeah, I never got the impression that he was a kid observer, especially since they explain his origin in that episode.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oasx posted:

Yeah, I never got the impression that he was a kid observer, especially since they explain his origin in that episode.

What was that? I thought all they figured out was that he had been in the tunnel for 100 years or something and that the CIA knew something about who he was and was trying to kill or kidnap him or something.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Rewatching the series from the beginning recently, the ending of season 2 episode 3, "Fracture" really stood out. It's the one where Col. Raymond Gordon is exploding former soldiers who were part of Project Tin Man. He's captured at the end, and seems to know about the threat of the Observers. He tells Broyles that "they" want to exterminate us, and have been making observations, collecting data, studying our culture, technology and science, and plan to use it against us -- prepping for war. And under his voiceover, we see a courier drop off a mysterious briefcase, containing photos of Walter, with September.

This is early in season 2, and of course the series goes from there to reveal a different set of villains and threat, but they don't ever seem to drop any more hints so blatantly. Maybe we were meant to be confused at the time and think that September was involved with this new threat of shapeshifters and whoever is on the other end of the typewriter (we haven't seen much at this point) but it really seems like this Colonel knows something, somehow, that viewers won't for two and a half years.

And then once the rest of the Observers show up in the series, they only seem to be concerned with Peter, Olivia and Walter, not sitting around like, "oh man sooooo cannot wait to enslave these turds lol." So did they really drop a huge hint about the true mission of the Observers, then wait 60 episodes to revisit it? Or were there other hints before "Letters of Transit"?

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
That's an awesome callback, and I totally hadn't thought of it during any of my Observer-musings.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

utonium posted:

Rewatching the series from the beginning recently, the ending of season 2 episode 3, "Fracture" really stood out. It's the one where Col. Raymond Gordon is exploding former soldiers who were part of Project Tin Man. He's captured at the end, and seems to know about the threat of the Observers. He tells Broyles that "they" want to exterminate us, and have been making observations, collecting data, studying our culture, technology and science, and plan to use it against us -- prepping for war. And under his voiceover, we see a courier drop off a mysterious briefcase, containing photos of Walter, with September.

This is early in season 2, and of course the series goes from there to reveal a different set of villains and threat, but they don't ever seem to drop any more hints so blatantly. Maybe we were meant to be confused at the time and think that September was involved with this new threat of shapeshifters and whoever is on the other end of the typewriter (we haven't seen much at this point) but it really seems like this Colonel knows something, somehow, that viewers won't for two and a half years.

And then once the rest of the Observers show up in the series, they only seem to be concerned with Peter, Olivia and Walter, not sitting around like, "oh man sooooo cannot wait to enslave these turds lol." So did they really drop a huge hint about the true mission of the Observers, then wait 60 episodes to revisit it? Or were there other hints before "Letters of Transit"?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is near the Season 1 finale when Clint Howard said that there were evil star trek aliens who used up all their resources and were coming after earth

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

the new teaser is weird as heck.

TEASER SPOILERS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szpS7vrNMqo&hd=1

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Walter found his LSD stash, didn't he?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
What was the song that was playing on the lab's record player after the power was turned back on? It sounds familiar.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

John Wilkes Booth posted:

What was the song that was playing on the lab's record player after the power was turned back on? It sounds familiar.

The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

alg posted:

The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9muzyOd4Lh8

Thanks! I think my dad used to listen to this when I was younger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Good news everyone! We might only lose 1 episode to baseball, if the NL Championship series goes to 5 games next week. The World Series isn't scheduled for a Friday night game!

• Locked thread