Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I have a 1997 Acura RL with 149k on it. I've owned it since 96k and I'm pretty sure everything in the suspension is original and therefore anything that could have worn out has. If I want to completely redo the suspension which parts am I going to need to replace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

I have a 1997 Acura RL with 149k on it. I've owned it since 96k and I'm pretty sure everything in the suspension is original and therefore anything that could have worn out has. If I want to completely redo the suspension which parts am I going to need to replace?

Well......do you really need to shotgun the entire suspension? Do you have a problem that you are trying to rectify?

Depending on what is wrong and what condition it's in it could be literally everything (if you have massive rust problems) but it's just not likely you need a completely new suspension at 150k miles. Struts, maybe ball joints, maybe bushings.....but just going at it and replacing everything without defining the problem seems foolish to me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm gonna agree with Motronic - more than likely you need shocks/struts, but probably not much else except maybe bushings. And even then, I'd doubt the struts are completely blown unless you drive down some lovely roads regularly.

The RL is a really well-built car; 149k is barely broken in, as long as maintenance has been kept up on.

However, if it hasn't been done before, you're more than a little overdue for the timing belt service. It's supposed to be changed every 105k/7 years, whichever comes first (along with the water pump). If that hasn't been done yet, I'd take care of the most pressing suspension issues (if there's anything in really bad shape) and spend the rest on the timing belt service ASAP.

Godholio posted:

poo poo, I meant to type 85-89. It's definitely an elevation thing.

El Paso is around 4000 ft, and the highest I remember seeing when I lived there was 91. :iiam:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Safety Dance posted:

As I understand it, in crazy-land (anywhere but North America), octane is computed differently. American 93 octane is the same as anywhere-else 98 octane.

Usually, it's between $.10 and $.15 difference between grades per gallon, such that 93 octane might be between $.20 and $.30 more than 87.

Australia here, and it makes far more sense that the numbers are calculated differently, as opposed to us just getting better fuel across the board.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Vim Fuego posted:

Get your car in the air and grab a big rear end pry bar. Find your bushings, take your pry bar find a place to wedge it in and give it a pull or push. See if there is movement. A tiny tiny amount is acceptable, but if you can see parts moving, that is your trouble point. I am not to familiar with Honda, but I imagine control arm bushings are always a good place to look.

http://youtu.be/B_ofryUjuTE

Here is a video that can explain what I am talking about. MOOG has composed a nice set of videos on their you tube channel talking about suspension problems and so forth.

I have learned that bushings can make or break a suspension.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

Gas Buddy is a fantastic cell phone app for finding local gas prices.

Yeah but usually the reporting on 91 octane (at least for me) has been far more lax, since so many stations only put their 87 price on the curb and people are lazy. I've found plenty of records where 87 was updated hours ago and 91 hasn't been updated in days or shows as N/A because it expired out.

YF19pilot posted:

:words:
(I apologize if I seem like I'm arguing with you gentlemen. I'm not, just talking about the inner workings of that "magic metal snail".)
Hardly, we're on the same page, you're just bothering to do the math to point out where the logic does and does not work :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Geoj posted:

Unless the streets where you live resemble a bombing range or you habitually run into curbs at speed you shouldn't need to do annual alignments.

Iowa means for 3 months of the year there's chunks of ice all over the place, and the other 9 months is repairing the potholes from the winter, and that's not counting the unpaved roads, so ... yeah, that probably explains some of it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the advice and the link. Timing belt was done around 98-100k. I had been considering redoing it because that was about 7 years ago. Given the consensus here I don't intend to replace the whole suspension if it's not necessary. It is not a rusty car. However, the car rides 1-1.5 inches lower than it used to and I've noticed more body roll and some bouncing while driving.

Cabrini-Green Tea
Aug 20, 2009

wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'
Hi all, I have a dumb question. I'm currently driving a 99' Camry with 240k miles. It's been a good car for my college years and as I near the end of my collegiate career I find myself wanting a change of scenery. I've been looking around on CL and this gem caught my eye: http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3300396293.html.

My question is: is this a good buy and are BMW's from this time period reliable? The car looks good in the ad and it seems well taken care of, the only issues are cosmetic, which is fine with me. I thought it would be best to ask you knowledgeable goons first before making a decision. Your advice and/or concerns are much appreciated.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Luigi_Cyclone posted:

Hi all, I have a dumb question. I'm currently driving a 99' Camry with 240k miles. It's been a good car for my college years and as I near the end of my collegiate career I find myself wanting a change of scenery. I've been looking around on CL and this gem caught my eye: http://omaha.craigslist.org/ctd/3300396293.html.

My question is: is this a good buy and are BMW's from this time period reliable? The car looks good in the ad and it seems well taken care of, the only issues are cosmetic, which is fine with me. I thought it would be best to ask you knowledgeable goons first before making a decision. Your advice and/or concerns are much appreciated.

I'd love to help, but it seems the ad has been removed.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Luigi_Cyclone posted:

Well that link is dead.

Stick with E46's (3 series from 99-05). Manual is the best choice, and either the 323i/325i or the 328i/330i is a great engine. Obviously the bigger one will provide more fun.

Make sure there are GOOD records. I mean every thing was looked after. Getting a good example will be easy to care for... but one that's neglected will kill you.

If you want more of a family cruiser, an E39 528i (01-03 are the best, they have the best updates. Being a 5 series fan boy, that seems to be the best blend of style, room, and sport combined into a great package. Though a 540i makes for huge smiles when you mash the accelerator pedal.

Pop over to the BMW thread and do some reading. BMW makes a fantastic car, but do require upkeep. Unlike your Camry, it will require more than just oil and gas. But you do get a huge community, and especially AI, you will find every one here is very willing to help.

I should also should add, go for a car with the sport package, besides obvious goodies, the sport seats are freaking amazing.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 6, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Vim Fuego posted:

Thanks for the advice and the link. Timing belt was done around 98-100k. I had been considering redoing it because that was about 7 years ago. Given the consensus here I don't intend to replace the whole suspension if it's not necessary. It is not a rusty car. However, the car rides 1-1.5 inches lower than it used to and I've noticed more body roll and some bouncing while driving.

If it's actually riding that much lower, the inside edge of your tires would be wearing at a shocking rate (at least with the double wishbone suspension your car uses). Riding lower would be indicative of sagging springs, and if it's an inch lower than it used to be, you won't be able to get a good alignment without replacing parts.

The bouncing would point at worn shocks/struts. Increased body roll could be that, bushings, weak springs, broken swaybar links.. anything really.

I'd get an alignment done, personally - a good alignment tech will be able to tell you what's worn, and it definitely needs one if the suspension is sagging as bad as you say. A good independent frame/alignment shop would be my recommendation, though Firestone offers a lifetime alignment service (but any other work tends to be on the expensive side with them).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

some texas redneck posted:

El Paso is around 4000 ft, and the highest I remember seeing when I lived there was 91. :iiam:

Well there's gonna be a regional distribution factor (most of Texas is well below 4k), but check out gas stations in any real mountainous state - Colorado, Utah, Idaho and you'll see.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah but usually the reporting on 91 octane (at least for me) has been far more lax, since so many stations only put their 87 price on the curb and people are lazy. I've found plenty of records where 87 was updated hours ago and 91 hasn't been updated in days or shows as N/A because it expired out.

I figured it would be updated less frequently, but that sucks. I generally only use it for lower octane stuff, since the only car I drive that needs premium also hates E10, and that limits me to exactly one gas station within a 40 minute drive.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 6, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've been researching importing cars such as the Vauxhall Monaro VXR, Nissan Skyline GTR R32 R33 and R34, and the Subaru Forester STI. From my research I've found that I can import the Monaro and Forester STI with no problem since it was designed for both JDM and AUSDM, and Australia has almost identical rules as the US except for the RHD/LHD differences. Anyways, I was browsing the Canadian craigslist looking for GTR's since I had been hearing if a car was 25 years old you could import it, and while looking on the EPA website I stumbled upon this:

Soon afterwards I stumbled upon this: http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/3267556830.html

So my stupid question is am I the only one who is seeing the ability to cheaply import a Skyline GTR R32 with little to no problems? If so then I will be selling everything and flying to Vancouver to pick this up (hopefully?)

Thanks!
Tusen

edit: link to the original document:http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/documents/420b11015.pdf it's on page 13

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 6, 2012

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
EPA block out is 21 years. NHTSB is the one with the 25 year rule. So you still need to comply with the NHTSB's block out (often referred to as the "Mercedes rule" for good reason). Basically, you either need to modify that R32, or you will have to wait until 2016 before bringing it here.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Here's a dumbshit question so feel free to laugh at me: is a faint whining sound on acceleration normal for a Dodge engine? It was noticeable but not alarming when I test drove an '04 Stratus earlier today for a cheap commuter car. The used lot dealer was claiming "that's just the sound Dodge engines make" and not having owned a Dodge since a poo poo '87 Lancer in high school I know no different. Feel free to call me dumb for even considering the purchase but I kind of liked it :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

EPA block out is 21 years. NHTSB is the one with the 25 year rule. So you still need to comply with the NHTSB's block out (often referred to as the "Mercedes rule" for good reason). Basically, you either need to modify that R32, or you will have to wait until 2016 before bringing it here.
Yeah I guess I can wait for another four years. =/ Or just get the FSTI :D

Saint Sputnik posted:

Here's a dumbshit question so feel free to laugh at me: is a faint whining sound on acceleration normal for a Dodge engine? It was noticeable but not alarming when I test drove an '04 Stratus earlier today for a cheap commuter car. The used lot dealer was claiming "that's just the sound Dodge engines make" and not having owned a Dodge since a poo poo '87 Lancer in high school I know no different. Feel free to call me dumb for even considering the purchase but I kind of liked it :shrug:

Sounds like power steering to me.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 6, 2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Sounds like power steering to me.

I googled it before posting and that's what came up, though I'm not a guy who can confirm that by ear. If I can get the dealer to take care of the issue, if it is an issue, what's the opinion around here on the '04 Dodge Stratus?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Manual or auto? Last time I heard a dodge whining it was the torque converter.

Could also be the pilot bearing on a manual, ps pump, alternator, ac compressor clutch bearing, etc.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

kastein posted:

Manual or auto? Last time I heard a dodge whining it was the torque converter.

Could also be the pilot bearing on a manual, ps pump, alternator, ac compressor clutch bearing, etc.

Auto, V6 2.7L, with 66k miles. Carfax report is clean for what that's worth. He's asking $5,900 which seems a bit high.

As for the basic question, a guy is lying when he says Dodge engines just make any kind of noise discernibly different from any other engine?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could go either way on the noise, but...really? $6k and you want to buy a 2.7L Stratus? The 2.7L is a gutless wonder that has some serious longevity issues with regards to oiling.

You can do a lot better for $6k.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have another stupid importing question! According the the list of approved to import list on the NHTSA.gov site (Here is the link), the Skyline GTR R33 is allowed to be imported with very little problem, just like the Subaru Forester STI and the BMW 5 series and 7 series that you can get for cheaper there and ship over here.

I've heard people say the R33 isn't the best year and you can convert a Forester XT to STI, but regardless, does anyone have experience in importing cars over from the UK/Europe? I have no idea why I'm looking into this this much other than to be a special snowflake at car meets.

Thanks!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Could go either way on the noise, but...really? $6k and you want to buy a 2.7L Stratus? The 2.7L is a gutless wonder that has some serious longevity issues with regards to oiling.

You can do a lot better for $6k.

Sounds like I should try to keep the '98 Saturn limping along for now. I'd looked at most of the lots in town (Warsaw, Ind.) and there's not much under $5k; for that price, the lot I was at today had an '02 Cavalier and '01 Sunfire but neither appealed to me.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
What's a good car that I can get for about a grand, that I can take apart and gently caress with to learn how the internals of a car work? I'm going to guess a Civic probably tops this list, but thought I'd ask AI first.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Or anything with a 3800 in it.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

Sounds like I should try to keep the '98 Saturn limping along for now. I'd looked at most of the lots in town (Warsaw, Ind.) and there's not much under $5k; for that price, the lot I was at today had an '02 Cavalier and '01 Sunfire but neither appealed to me.

This is your problem. Lots are always going to try to bend you over a barrel. Look on craigslist and in your local paper for private sellers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Saint Sputnik posted:

An 02 Cavalier isn't worth much over $2k, same for an 01 Sunfire. That's assuming good condition - they're pretty terrible cars and don't age well at all. The 02 should have the Ecotec, which is a pretty solid engine. The 01 won't.

Even if you only want to go to a lot, they have haggle room built into the price. The lot I got my car from was asking $4000, I offered $2500 and they took it without blinking. Then the repairs started..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just did a head job on a 99 cavalier, it wasn't bad (pushrod 2.2 motor) but gently caress ever buying one of those basket cases. So many dumb design decisions.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

The 12v plug on my dad's 2005 Chevy 3500 Express Cargo Van (where he plugs in the phone charger) has stopped working after he left something charging over night. The fuse is not the problem, so it looks like I need a replacement socket. What is the official name of the part and where can I buy one online? I'm seeing it referred to as a lighter plug, phone socket, cigarette plug, etc. etc. etc.

I've been looking all morning, and the closest I've come is the Dorman plug which seems to be incompatible with the van, not to mention it was for charging the phone, not the cigarette lighter. Can someone point me in the right direction?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bioshuffle posted:

The 12v plug on my dad's 2005 Chevy 3500 Express Cargo Van (where he plugs in the phone charger) has stopped working after he left something charging over night. The fuse is not the problem, so it looks like I need a replacement socket. What is the official name of the part and where can I buy one online? I'm seeing it referred to as a lighter plug, phone socket, cigarette plug, etc. etc. etc.

I've been looking all morning, and the closest I've come is the Dorman plug which seems to be incompatible with the van, not to mention it was for charging the phone, not the cigarette lighter. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Did you test the fuse? Visual inspections are not 100%. Also, did you test the phone charger in a known good outlet? It's hard to imagine the 5W draw from a phone charger blowing a fuse or ruining the outlet, though.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm thinking of changing the battery in my car. Is this an easy job or should I bring it to the mechanic?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Should take you all of 5 minutes with a wrench/ratchet. However, if you lack tools if I'm not mistaken most chain parts stores will install a battery for free with purchase. A mechanic is just going to charge you $20 on top of the cost of the battery.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Geoj posted:

Should take you all of 5 minutes with a wrench/ratchet. However, if you lack tools if I'm not mistaken most chain parts stores will install a battery for free with purchase. A mechanic is just going to charge you $20 on top of the cost of the battery.

For sure, O'Reilly, Advanced, and AutoZone will do it for free. Not sure if NAPA does, but it is likely. These places will also do free wiper blade replacements/installs and stuff like that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I'm thinking of changing the battery in my car. Is this an easy job or should I bring it to the mechanic?

What they said, plus if you have them install it for you, you avoid having to take a return trip to return your old core.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Geoj posted:

This kind of depends on the car - most are easy, but some cars have a hard to reach battery (Chrysler cloud cars come to mind). If this is the case, the parts stores won't do it.

The only things you really need to be careful of - be careful not to short the terminals (with a wrench, screwdriver, etc) and DO NOT hook the battery up in reverse. That's pretty much it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm in the process of restoring a 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, and I'm having trouble finding a few parts. From what I can tell, this boat only came with a single driver's side door mirror when it was new. At some point, the previous owner took this one off and installed a lovely universal manual mirror. I've seen folks use sport mirrors from the Cutlasses of the same era and I've seen chrome CIPA mirrors that will supposedly fit any GM B-Body from that era, but they look like poo poo.

Does anyone know if the Cutlass sport mirrors will fit properly? And if so, where could I find a pair? I'd even settle for the universal CIPAs if those fit properly.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm in the process of restoring a 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, and I'm having trouble finding a few parts. From what I can tell, this boat only came with a single driver's side door mirror when it was new. At some point, the previous owner took this one off and installed a lovely universal manual mirror. I've seen folks use sport mirrors from the Cutlasses of the same era and I've seen chrome CIPA mirrors that will supposedly fit any GM B-Body from that era, but they look like poo poo.

Does anyone know if the Cutlass sport mirrors will fit properly? And if so, where could I find a pair? I'd even settle for the universal CIPAs if those fit properly.

Try https://www.car-part.com it will be your friend.

Edit: vvv fixed... thanks!

And what do you know? There is a place in Florida that has a set. Give them a call!

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 8, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I think you mean car-part.com.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My friend has a 1999 BMW 328i, and it's throwing P1397 Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit (Bank 1). Some quick googling leads me to believe it's the exhaust(?) side camshaft position sensor. Does anyone have a good source for these, or know the part number? I told her I'd be willing to help her out with replacing it.

E: I'm going to post this in the BMW thread

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Thanks for the advice on the battery. I took the car off the road so I can't have any mechanic work on it. Anyway, I got started with it today and of course the negative bolt was so corroded, it stripped and made the job much harder.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 8, 2012

• Locked thread