Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
also for future reference loin is not really the preferred cut for pulled pork since it does not have nearly as much connective tissue and fat as other cuts like shoulder/butt/ribs and that is where pulled pork magic comes from. Usually with a loin I'd cut it into chops for grilling or pan-frying, or roast the whole loin whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wroughtirony posted:

Your eggs are old and/or lovely, or you could be cooking them way too long. You can see how eggs deteriorate over time here: http://recipehut.homestead.com/fresheggtest.html

Buy your eggs at a farmers market if you can- the ones you get in the grocery store can be nearly a month old before you buy them.
Now that you mention it, that makes complete sense. I made the overhard egg with the last egg in a dozen I had bought about 2 weeks ago...the scrambled were done using a new dozen I just bought yesterday...interesting and thanks!

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
What kind of stock goes in tom yum, or Thai food in general? Made some today with a really simple seafood stock, just onion & mussel shells. While the end result was fine (kinda hard to gently caress up something so simple and delicious), I think better stock would've added something.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
A lot of people make pulled pork with a splash of some sweet drink like orange juice or coke. Would it be a terrible idea to use something similar to Malta instead? Feels like it could bring a slightly interesting malty twist.

Bist
Jun 12, 2008

pile of brown posted:

also for future reference loin is not really the preferred cut for pulled pork since it does not have nearly as much connective tissue and fat as other cuts like shoulder/butt/ribs and that is where pulled pork magic comes from. Usually with a loin I'd cut it into chops for grilling or pan-frying, or roast the whole loin whole.

Ya I usually use shoulder, but loin was on sale this week and the shoulder selection wasn't the greatest. I find it can get the job done most of the time, but it does feel like a waste anytime I've pulled tenderloin.

I ended up turning it down to low and letting it cook for a few more hours after dinner, then stuck it in the fridge. Going to get it going again in the morning, then pull and sauce it for lunch. Not a complete waste, just going to have lots more leftovers for the week (I'm excited to see what all I can try pulled pork on, I've fallen in love with Pulled Pork Poutine). Nachos maybe? Additional layer on a burger? Crackers even I suppose?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I have an enormous amount of fresh dill, any suggestions on what to do with it?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I live in an area that is pretty lovely in terms of food and I find that prices are way too steep for me. I can get different deals at various locations but none is better than the other on average. My local and monopolistic grocery store charges 79c per lime and 2$ per bunch of cilantro, as an example. It's hard for me to tell if I am just being whiny or if there is something seriously wrong with their pricing. I can generally find produce on sale or at different locations for cheaper, but meat always seems very expensive to me (as a college student).

This is a broad question, but what can I expect to pay for the cheaper cuts of meat and seafood? I get a respectable 2.50$/lb for pork shoulder which I am happy with, but I want to vary my meats and I'm having trouble finding much that competes. There must be cheap seafood out there that is of comparable price, but I just cannot find it. Any recommendations for what I should look for and what it should cost?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I have a bottle of ras el hanout and I have about 4 oz. harissa left over from a Tunisian dish, but aside from the dish I just cooked I've never made or eaten Moroccan or Tunisian food in my life. Aside from Googling recipes (which I've been doing), do you guys have any resources (preferably Kindle books or "normal" recipes of famous dishes in the region) to get me started understanding the underpinnings of Moroccan or Tunisian cuisine? I speak a tiny bit of Arabic, if that'll help.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I live in an area that is pretty lovely in terms of food and I find that prices are way too steep for me. I can get different deals at various locations but none is better than the other on average. My local and monopolistic grocery store charges 79c per lime and 2$ per bunch of cilantro, as an example. It's hard for me to tell if I am just being whiny or if there is something seriously wrong with their pricing. I can generally find produce on sale or at different locations for cheaper, but meat always seems very expensive to me (as a college student).

This is a broad question, but what can I expect to pay for the cheaper cuts of meat and seafood? I get a respectable 2.50$/lb for pork shoulder which I am happy with, but I want to vary my meats and I'm having trouble finding much that competes. There must be cheap seafood out there that is of comparable price, but I just cannot find it. Any recommendations for what I should look for and what it should cost?

As far as I've seen, most meat is fairly expensive, unless it's on sale. It seems to me that beef is the most expensive, followed by pork, then followed by chicken. For beef, I only ever buy chuck roasts when they're on sale since that's about the cheapest I can buy beef, but it's still ~$2-3 / lb or something like that. Pork shoulder tends to be cheaper, so it's usually a good buy. Sometimes big groceries will sell those vacuum packed whole pork loins for real cheap, but requires a different cooking technique. Chicken thighs can be really inexpensive (compared to pork/beef) at like $1 / lb or something. Chicken breasts are more expensive and the whole bird is usually a good way to go if you know how to roast it and make stock out of the bones, or split it up before cooking. Just watch for sales, that's the only way to buy meat in my (frugal) opinion. Sometimes hams can be really cheap too, I bought one for like $.50 / lb once. Of course all this goes out the window if you want non-factory farmed meat.

So basically, there's a lot of variance in meat prices, and you'll only really get cheap meat out of a few of the cuts of an animal. Look for the roasting/long cooking time meats as they tend to be less expensive.

The real answer is to just convert to rice and beans!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Learn what places are most likely to have short dated meat marked down and check them 2 or 3 times a week. Most of the time you can find meat around half price if you're willing to cook it in the next day or 2 (in the next week for cryovac'd roasts).

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jenkin posted:

Infuse it in a bunch of vodka and then throw a Scandinavian food party and drink lots of snaps! Seriously though dill-infused vodka is pretty tasty. Pair it with chicken or seafood it is great.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alternatively buy some salmon and make gravlax! And then...get this, you can drink your snaps while you eat the gravlax. That sounds awesome.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Hey thread, I've got a question but I'm not sure it deserves its own thread. Basically, I live on my own in a converted garage, and it isn't fitted with a hob or oven. All I've got is a kettle, a toaster, a microwave, and 2 George Foreman grills, one large one small. I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation and could recommend any particularly good recipes for these things, or any other tips on cooking using mainly a George Foreman? Any workarounds or handy little bits of advice would be good. Thanks!

Edit: poo poo, did I ask this in here before? I remember I asked it somewhere. Oh well, if anyone has any more great recipes that'd be cool anyway.

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 7, 2012

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Can anyone suggest a decent jambalaya recipe that can be prepared in a rice cooker? Preferably lower sodium: It doesn't even have to be low sodium, just better than the box mix poo poo.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I like throwing a bunch of vegetables and crap into a pot and cooking for a few hours on a low heat. The result is often delicious but half of the time I find that there is too much water in the resulting mixture.

What can I do to reduce the water content?

I am guessing I need to make the water evaporate more but I am not sure what the best way to accomplish this is. My experiments so far have not yielded any conclusive results.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Put in less water.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jenkin posted:

Potato salad with capers, oil, lemon juice, red onions.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

EssOEss posted:

I like throwing a bunch of vegetables and crap into a pot and cooking for a few hours on a low heat. The result is often delicious but half of the time I find that there is too much water in the resulting mixture.

I am guessing I need to make the water evaporate more but I am not sure what the best way to accomplish this is. My experiments so far have not yielded any conclusive results.
Other than adding less water, as suggested, keep the lid off.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EssOEss posted:

No vegetables require multiple hours of cooking. Cook them until tender, strain them, and then eat them.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I got a $500 travel voucher from American Airlines, and I'm thinking about going balls out and doing ~2 weeks in SE Asia. Figure I can do it all for ~$2000 out of pocket.
Probably hit Singapore, Chiang Mai, then Bangkok and home. Has anyone done any cooking schools out there? If so, any recommendations on schools, what to look for, what to avoid, etc?
This looks like a hell of a lot of fun, for instance: http://www.thaifarmcooking.net/home/

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

CloseFriend posted:

I have a bottle of ras el hanout and I have about 4 oz. harissa

Not really a traditional anything but Ive made a ras al hanout beer batter for frying onions in, it was pretty awesome. probably be good to dip in harissa mayo too.

1c corn starch
2c flour
2 eggs
<3c mild beer I used pilsner
ras al hanout and salt to taste
mix everything but the beer and slowly whisk it in until the batter is thin but coat your finger. dip onion rings or slice onions long ways and fry in little clusters until golden brown

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Jenkin posted:

Make pickles!
- Add to a hearty potato soup or clam chowder
- Add to a mix of sour cream, mayo and chives and turn it into a dip
- Combine with lemon slices and some butter. Wrap up a salmon steak in parchment paper and tin foil and do some packet cooking.
- Hang a bunch upside down to dry out so you'll have dried dill for the next year
- Sprinkle across scrambled eggs
- Mix with greek yogurt, cucumber chunks and a few odds and ends to make your own superfly Tzatziki sauce.

Dill is useful stuff, have fun!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

EssOEss posted:

May I ask what the end goal of this is, specifically? Are you trying to make soup? What sort of vegetables? This will guide our guidance.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
There's a thing I'd like to cook, which among other ingredients uses okra. Where I live, it's very uncommon and I'm having a hard time looking for it. What would you suggest as a replacement, in case I ultimately fail to find it?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I am making mussels in wine tomorrow, and to save myself time, I scooped up the mussels now. Should I stick them in the fridge or freezer?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I am making mussels in wine tomorrow, and to save myself time, I scooped up the mussels now. Should I stick them in the fridge or freezer?

Fridge fridge fridge.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Thanks!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Jenkin posted:

Make corn fritters and top with a sour cream, dill and lime juice mix.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Jenkin posted:

No need to freeze some for a rainy day?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question on using a whirly pop popcorn maker.

I made some tonight (1/3 cup popcorn and 1 tbsp canola oil). Everything went fine, but when I went to use the usual seasonings I use for microwave popcorn (garlic powder/salt/cayenne/pepper), it didn't coat the popcorn like it normally does with the microwave stuff. Any idea why and how to correct this?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

pile of brown posted:

Not really a traditional anything but Ive made a ras al hanout beer batter for frying onions in, it was pretty awesome. probably be good to dip in harissa mayo too.

1c corn starch
2c flour
2 eggs
<3c mild beer I used pilsner
ras al hanout and salt to taste
mix everything but the beer and slowly whisk it in until the batter is thin but coat your finger. dip onion rings or slice onions long ways and fry in little clusters until golden brown
Obviously not what I was looking for but I'm not complaining because hot drat that looks tasty! Thanks!

EDIT: How much fat should I use for the frying? Half a cup per onion?

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 8, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I've always been curious, but how much does the beer in the batter matter, and what specifically matters? The grains? Alcohol content? Color?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jakabite posted:

Hey thread, I've got a question but I'm not sure it deserves its own thread. Basically, I live on my own in a converted garage, and it isn't fitted with a hob or oven. All I've got is a kettle, a toaster, a microwave, and 2 George Foreman grills, one large one small. I was just wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation and could recommend any particularly good recipes for these things, or any other tips on cooking using mainly a George Foreman? Any workarounds or handy little bits of advice would be good. Thanks!
I'm not sure if this is the kind of advice you're looking for, but if it was me I'd replace the toaster with a toaster oven and get a crockpot. A halfway decent toaster oven will do pretty much anything a regular oven will do, limited only by the interior capacity. But you can do `real' baking in one. And you can use a crockpot to make stews, soups, and braises.

If it was me, I'd also pick up a sous vide machine like an SVS Demi, as about three quarters of the meat I prepare that isn't in a stew or braise I do in the puddle machine and then sear off on a skillet. Assuming you can get a good sear out of a George Foreman grill (I've never actually used one), picking up those three things would let me do an awful lot of the kind of cooking I do in the normal course of things---the major exceptions being stir fry and smoking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crossposting this from the chili thread for lack of response and my general cluelessness

dis astranagant posted:

What's a "caribe pepper" and is it worth tossing some in a pot of chili? They're wide, pale yellow peppers about 2 or 3 inches long.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Crossposting this from the chili thread for lack of response and my general cluelessness

I think a Caribe pepper is the same as a Santa Fe Grande pepper aka Guero Chili Peppers. These guys?

Certainly wouldn't hurt a pot of chili, but I don't think they pack a lot of heat if that's what you're into.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

I think a Caribe pepper is the same as a Santa Fe Grande pepper aka Guero Chili Peppers. These guys?

Certainly wouldn't hurt a pot of chili, but I don't think they pack a lot of heat if that's what you're into.

Yeah, those are them. What kind of flavor do they bring to the party? Picked up a handful at the store with the rest of my peppers (2/3 pound each of poblanos and anaheims, just shy of half a pound of serranos, 3 of those little guys since I didn't really know what I was getting myself into). Kinda went overboard, but it's gonna have plenty of rice and cheese to calm it down as needed.

Oski
Oct 20, 2010

Everyone has their dream...

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Late to the party, but for the pirogi filler question a while back... The best part though is the rendered saltpork dip...cube up a piece of saltpork into tiny little pieces, render on the stove until they are nice and crispy. serve this as a side with sour cream, dip the potato perogies into the rendered pork and try to get some of the crunchy bits stuck to it...so drat good.

This sounds horrendously amazing. I have some pierogi left in the freezer so will have to try. Do you mix the sour cream in with the delicious fat?
My brief googling of salt pork makes me think that in the UK it would be called streaky bacon - can anyone confirm/refute this?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

SubG posted:

I'm not sure if this is the kind of advice you're looking for, but if it was me I'd replace the toaster with a toaster oven and get a crockpot. A halfway decent toaster oven will do pretty much anything a regular oven will do, limited only by the interior capacity. But you can do `real' baking in one. And you can use a crockpot to make stews, soups, and braises.

If it was me, I'd also pick up a sous vide machine like an SVS Demi, as about three quarters of the meat I prepare that isn't in a stew or braise I do in the puddle machine and then sear off on a skillet. Assuming you can get a good sear out of a George Foreman grill (I've never actually used one), picking up those three things would let me do an awful lot of the kind of cooking I do in the normal course of things---the major exceptions being stir fry and smoking.

Alright, thanks man, I'll look into getting one of them. I actually just got hold of a crockpot, so halfway there already!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

It seems I'm pathologically incapable of making nice flat bread, other than farls. Does anyone have a decent recipe for flat bread, like Roti etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Aramoro posted:

It seems I'm pathologically incapable of making nice flat bread, other than farls. Does anyone have a decent recipe for flat bread, like Roti etc?
I haven't tried it yet, but someone recommended this recipe to me in the dinner thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD4o_Lmy6bU