Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Choadmaster posted:

3) Speaking of brining, I read some kinds of brining can give meat a "hammy" taste. Not surprising, since ham is brined pork... but I HATE the taste of ham. I had brined turkey legs once that totally tasted just like ham, too, and it was doubly disgusting to me (turkey should never, ever taste like that). What makes a brined piece of meat "hammy"? The ingredients in the brine? The length of brining time? I want to avoid "hammy" flavors if at all possible.

A hammy taste is usually a result of curing salt, which is usually present in ham. I agree with getting used to your smoker with basic meats before worrying about a brine. The less variables the better in the beginning.

quote:

* Beef short ribs $7.95/lb

6 hours at 225. Cry yourself to sleep.

quote:

MasterBuilt built-in water tray; should I be using it? I guess it has a wood chips tray too, that I guess I won't be using; where do I put the AMNPS? Do I need a drip pan? Are the temperature probes built in to the MasterBuilt reliable? I did buy a Maverick ET73 I can use instead.

Good advice above. Foil everything, including the bottom drip pan and the outside pan. Heavy duty foil. My MES 40" probe and internal thermometers were right on target, but it's a good idea to check it with another thermometer if you can.

quote:

7) Anyone ever smoked tri-tip? I can grill great tri-tip and it's one of my favorite meats, so I really want to try smoking it. I found some instructions via Google but if anyone here has any personal experience I'd love to hear.

You can smoke anything. You have a lot of options now. You can cold-smoke with the element off and trays of ice on the shelves, and then cook conventionally (or not, ala cold-smoked salmon). Or smoke until cooked at 225-275 then sear on the grill, etc. Once you get the hang of ventilating the AMNPS and keeping it going, it's time to experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Thanks, unknown and GigaFool!

The smoker arrived yesterday, and even though the AMNPS isn't getting here for another few days I couldn't help but give it a try anyway. In fact, I had my butt all rubbed and ready to go before the UPS guy even pulled up. It turned out okay, but I know I need a lot more practice. Prepare yourselves for a shitload of crappy photos and a bunch of questions (and once again, thanks).

Pork Butt/Shoulder/Whatever turned out to be $1.99/lb from the local butcher. This one was 8.5 pounds. As recommended here, I didn't brine it. I followed the Perfect Pulled Pork recipe at AmazingRibs.com (which also recommends against brining).

I trimmed off the fat and put together the rub. I'm not particularly skilled at trimming off fat, as you can probably tell. The recipe said to leave no more than 1/8" thickness of fat on there. Is there any reason not to trim it off altogether so all the rub goes directly on the meat? (At the end it seemed like there was more than enough fat inside the meat anyway.)

Tied up and rubbed the meat. I think I tied this up worse than I wrap presents, and that's a feat. But it worked.

After rinsing off the meat, I dried it as much as possible. But once I put the rub on it was almost immediately very wet again (look closely and you'll see it's even producing a puddle). Is that normal (due to the salt drawing out moisture?) or did I not dry it adequately? It seemed dry, but maybe I should have let it sit a while on a towel in the fridge or something.

I pre-heated the smoker (am I supposed to?) and put the meat in. I wasn't sure which shelf (if it matters) so I just picked the one most easily visible through the window. It is obvious now where I would put the AMNPS in this thing. Since I don't have it yet though, I used the built-in wood-chip-smoking mechanism.

I've never used a meat thermometer like these before and I'm sure I stuck at least one of them in wrong. I used both the built-in thermometer and the Maverick I bought. Over the course of the cook, the Maverick was consistently 20 to 40 degrees higher than the built-in one. I think I stuck the Maverick probe in too far (past the center).

I've never smoked anything before, nor is smoking meat a common thing around here. I have no idea how much smoke I was supposed to be getting. It seems to me like there really wasn't much, though the smoker was going though wood chips at a decent rate. This lovely photo shows the smoker at peak smokiness. On a related note, how should I adjust the vent at the top? It had no effect on the cooking temps (smoker stayed at a very steady 222-230 degrees the entire time) or smoke volume as far as I could tell.

I put the meat in at about 9 pm. It reached 150ish about 4 or 5 hours later. I didn't foil to to speed up the stall period. I checked it at 4 am (still ~150), 7 am (~160), and 10 am (~180). At noon it was still around 180 and I got impatient and I did the fork test. The meat was soft and flaky and the fork turned easily so I pulled the meat out. In hindsight I think it was still a bit too early, even though it had been over 15 hours. I will be more patient next time!

The bark was a nice color, and tasty. It was not crispy or crunchy, however; it was decidedly damp and soft. Is this a sign I took the meat out too early? Or is it related to how the meat went in fairly wet to begin with? Something else? Also, I let the meat sit under foil for half an hour because that seemed to be what the recipe was recommending. Is that necessary?

The bone came out fairly easily, but I wouldn't say it just fell out or slid out. This being my first one I have no basis for comparison unfortunately.

Meaty cross-section. Oozing lots of oily juice out the bottom there. Normal?

Halfway there. Some parts flaked apart very easily, while some, generally deeper in, took more effort. This is why I think it came off too soon. The "pulling" really does take as long as the recipe says (half an hour!). I already have a set of Bear Paws on order :D.

I hear the internet likes cats. Cats, apparently, do not like pulled pork - at least, not mine (not my pork, not my cat, take your pick).

Done! Is there any way to keep the meat warm during the pulling process? By the time I got to the end, half of it was cold! This will be less of a problem with the Bear Paws since I'll get done faster I guess.

All in all, it came out tender and decently tasty, though not superb. Hopefully the AMNPS and letting it cook longer will make the next batch even better. I'm satisfied given that this was my first attempt!

Tomorrow I think I'll try babyback ribs using this recipe. I still won't have the AMNPS but it should still be good practice.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 21, 2012

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
180 is not near high enough to pull. That's about the temp for slicing though. 8.5 lbs is a good sized butt so no wonder that 15 hours wasn't enough. next time to make things quicker you can try cutting the butt in half, plus you get more bark. Last time I did 8 lb butts it was closer to 16.5 hours to get them done..

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
You can also cook at a higher temperature. I've been doing mine at 275-300F, so it cooks much faster. 7 pounders finish in about 12 hours. The disadvantage is that at those temperatures, rubs with lots of sugar tend to blacken a bit too much as the sugar caramelizes. Foiling with aluminum or parchment is also another good trick to speed it up.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
Foiling will stop the bark from getting darker and it will cook faster.

Niagalack fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 5, 2012

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
What are the differences between the 30" Master Built with and without the window? Window, wireless control and built in meat probe? Are there any other differences to justify the $100 difference?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

The window is really useless. Once the smoker is gets some seasoning, it's essentially covered up unless you really want to spend time scrubbing it. And it's pretty dark in there (the interior light also gets covered and isnt very strong anyway), so you can't see much anyway.

My recommendation is to hold out for the 40", though.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I'm moving out of my apartment and in to a house soon, and I love the taste of slow-cooked meat. I want to get a smoker.

I was considering a propane smoker for it's ease of use, not having to worry/babysit the temperature the entire time. I tried using a grill/smoker before with the smokebox on the side, and it sucked. I basically had to fiddle with the vents non-stop, and keep feeding it. I want something where I can prepare meat, set a temp, and let it ride.

I've read the thread a bit, and people seem to unanimously love the Weber, but it's charcoal. If done correctly, how much babysitting does a 6 hour cook in one of these require?

I've also seen a lot of people rave about their Masterbuilt electric smoker. Seems to be very easy, but I hear the electric smokers don't give you the flavor and smoke ring that the others do.

I don't see a lot of talk about propane. It seems to be easy, but give you the smoky flavor similar to charcoal.

If I were willing to spend $300 on a smoker, and I want something that will give me exceptional cooking capability without having to constantly pay attention to something, what would you goons recommend?

If it's really not too much trouble to maintain a charcoal smoker I'm willing to give that a go, I just don't want to have to be on my feet for 6 hours constantly fussing with something.

Thanks for the help.

edit: I found this on CL: http://austin.craigslist.org/for/3315897279.html

Does that seem reasonable?

Korwen fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 4, 2012

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
With a Weber, you'll be hounding it a lot for the first few smokes until you have an idea of what you're doing. After you get a feel for it, you can let it run for hours without messing with it.

The only real work is the first hour, when you light the coals, load up the smoker with them, and wait for it to come to temperature and produce the right "thin blue smoke." So, I'll look at the temp guage from the window maybe every 10 minutes and adjust the vents. I'll throw a pork shoulder on, come back in 15 minutes to check the temperature and make any vent adjustments. I'll take a look at the smoker every couple of hours from then on. Just a glance at the temp gauge is all that's needed. That, or I take a 4 hour nap since I hate mornings.

Once you get a feel for it, you don't have to do much. It's only the first few cooks when you're learning fire control and are totally anxious that you will feel like you have to monitor the darn thing continuously. A lot of people will even set it up at 9 or 10 at night, get the temperature stable, then go to bed for 8 hours so they could have pulled pork for lunch.

Stick burners, where you throw in wood logs and stuff require a lot of hands on monitoring and tweaking, but a weber bullet using briquettes or good lump charcoal is just autopilot.

As for the kamado, it's not a real BGE. It's an off-brand. You'll want to look for cracks and to see whether it comes with the big flat ceramic plate that allows for indirect cooking/smoking. I'll leave it to someone with actual kamado experience to chime in here.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 4, 2012

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I bought a Brinkmann propane smoker from Home Depot a couple years ago for about $150 and its fantastic. Every two hours you need to change out the wood chips. Other than that it's 'set it and forget it' ala ronco style. Very light, Great smoke ring every time. I really can't praise it enough.

Pics can be seen here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post407095765

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
What is the HeaterMeter used for? Is it reliable? Worth making one? I mostly smoke on my propane/coal bbq where I set my stuff and use a wifi probe that gives me the meat temperature.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Niagalack posted:

What is the HeaterMeter used for? Is it reliable? Worth making one? I mostly smoke on my propane/coal bbq where I set my stuff and use a wifi probe that gives me the meat temperature.

A HeaterMeter isn't going to be of any use to someone using a propane bbq, other than it being a cheaper way to monitor your cook progress remotely than some of the other products out there.

It's primarily used as a sort of PID controller to stoke fires to maintain a precise temperature on WSM/BGEs, etc.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
gently caress this thread I've never been so hungry in my life. :(

That aside, those pictures look awesome. I need to try this when spring / summer comes around again.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Niagalack posted:

I don't use any of the linksys temp control stuff found in this thread and my stuff turns out great. I think that shits all pretty lame imo. To me, smoking is supposed to be pretty simple: Fire, Wood, Smoke, Meat.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

davey4283 posted:

I don't use any of the linksys temp control stuff found in this thread and my stuff turns out great. I think that shits all pretty lame imo. To me, smoking is supposed to be pretty simple: Fire, Wood, Smoke, Meat.

What's pretty lame is losing meat on overnight smokes because your fire goes out and you don't know about it, or dry butts because of temperature instability, etc.

The "lame poo poo" you speak of makes smoking even more fun than it normally is, because you can geek out AND end up with amazing meat every time. Not having to get out of bed to check on poo poo at 4 am is pretty much the best.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I have a MasterForge propane smoker, and I don't really love it, it doesn't seem to hold temperature very consistently, and while I have it sheltered from the wind, the sun wreaks havoc on the temperature; half the time I can't get it up to 225, then I'll check on it 30 minutes later and it's up to 300, before shooting back down, both by the manufacturer's thermometer and my remote one. It's been decent for learning how to smoke, but next one will definitely be a charcoal smoker.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

davey4283 posted:

Yeah. gently caress those guys who use store bought charcoal! Real BBQers make their own charcoal and if you didn't personally kill and butcher that pig then I'm going to call you a pussy.

b0bx13
Jun 14, 2006
Amazon has the MES 30" for $145, if anyone else wants to get in on it. Can't wait for mine to show up!

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

180 is not near high enough to pull. That's about the temp for slicing though. 8.5 lbs is a good sized butt so no wonder that 15 hours wasn't enough. next time to make things quicker you can try cutting the butt in half, plus you get more bark. Last time I did 8 lb butts it was closer to 16.5 hours to get them done..

Thanks. I made a second go at it and cut the butt in half (horizontally, just above the bone where it sort of wants to separate anyway). Got two pretty even-sized pieces and they reached 190 at about the same time. They almost fell apart on their own this time. Much better! Though the bark still wasn't "crispy" or "crunchy." Any ideas why? Does it matter?

I also had the AMNPS this time (that thing is surprisingly tiny) and the meat had more/better smokiness to it, too, though still not a lot that I could tell. On that note:

Mach420 posted:

...produce the right "thin blue smoke."

The AMNPS instructions said the same thing about adjusting the vents and stuff to produce "thin blue smoke." gently caress me if I can tell the difference for all the fiddling I did. It seemed to smoke the same no matter what. Can anyone with experience with the AMNPS and the electric Masterbuilt give me some hints as to what to do and what to look for?

GigaFool posted:

The window is really useless. Once the smoker is gets some seasoning, it's essentially covered up unless you really want to spend time scrubbing it. And it's pretty dark in there (the interior light also gets covered and isnt very strong anyway), so you can't see much anyway.

I like the window :smith:. I find the light to work pretty well too (though if you've completely filled an upper rack with meat I could imagine it wouldn't do poo poo for lighting the lower racks). The window takes maybe 20 seconds to scrub down and I've already got the sponge out there for cleaning off the meat probe...

Now, I have a few more questions. I made some baby back ribs as per this recipe. The end result was definitely tasty (though to be honest I much prefer my own rub that I use when grilling ribs, and I'm going to try that next time):

My issue is they didn't really come out particularly tender. Pulling two ribs apart by hand was doable but not easy. The meat did not come cleanly off the bones when eating it, either. The recipe said 3-4 hours for baby backs, but using the bend test also described on that site the ribs didn't seem to be "ready" until nearly 5 hours in (they were somewhat thicker than usual so I wasn't too surprised at the time). Perhaps I should even have waited a little longer; or could the same problem be caused by overcooking them? I know it's impossible to diagnose someone's cooking issues like this but I welcome opinions anyway.

Lastly, I'm going to try some beef ribs next. If anyone has any tips or awesome recipes please let me know! (Thanks!)

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002

Choadmaster posted:

The AMNPS instructions said the same thing about adjusting the vents and stuff to produce "thin blue smoke." gently caress me if I can tell the difference for all the fiddling I did. It seemed to smoke the same no matter what. Can anyone with experience with the AMNPS and the electric Masterbuilt give me some hints as to what to do and what to look for?

As far as thin blue smoke, you're looking for smoke that looks like the smoker on the right side. See how it's tinged blue in the light and is much thinner. Oftentimes the smoke will be so thin that you can't see it well at all. The left smoker will possibly make BBQ that is bitter from creosote and is making ugly white smoke, and clouds of it. Not good. More is not always better.

Generally, if the fire is starved of oxygen or you're using uncured wood, it'll produce white or gray smoke. If you have too much O2 or the fire is too hot, the smoke wood will catch on fire. I don't know how electrics really work, but the general procedure for charcoal smokers is to leave the exhaust fully open, while adjusting the intake vents only.

Choadmaster posted:

My issue is they didn't really come out particularly tender. Pulling two ribs apart by hand was doable but not easy. The meat did not come cleanly off the bones when eating it, either. The recipe said 3-4 hours for baby backs, but using the bend test also described on that site the ribs didn't seem to be "ready" until nearly 5 hours in (they were somewhat thicker than usual so I wasn't too surprised at the time). Perhaps I should even have waited a little longer; or could the same problem be caused by overcooking them? I know it's impossible to diagnose someone's cooking issues like this but I welcome opinions anyway.

Lastly, I'm going to try some beef ribs next. If anyone has any tips or awesome recipes please let me know! (Thanks!)

That sounds slightly undercooked. Fall off the bone ribs are considered overcooked by enthusiasts. The meat turns into mush, and there's no snappy/crisp feel in the meat while chewing. Perfectly cooked ribs are tender, but will still stick to the bones a little bit as well as having a slight crispness/snappiness to the meat. Truly undercooked ribs will leave a lot of connective tissue still there, be very crisp, will be hard to chew, and you'll be picking strands of it out of your teeth.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 8, 2012

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Choadmaster posted:

Thanks. I made a second go at it and cut the butt in half (horizontally, just above the bone where it sort of wants to separate anyway). Got two pretty even-sized pieces and they reached 190 at about the same time. They almost fell apart on their own this time. Much better! Though the bark still wasn't "crispy" or "crunchy." Any ideas why? Does it matter?

Too much moisture and/or not enough sugar in the rub. I used to always use liquid in the pan, now I rarely use any. Also trim large amounts of fat off the meat and always keep the top vent fully open.

quote:

I also had the AMNPS this time (that thing is surprisingly tiny) and the meat had more/better smokiness to it, too, though still not a lot that I could tell. On that note:

Open the ash shelf about an inch and pull out the wood chip loader about an inch as well. Then reduce the chip loader size until the smoke is perfect. You basically want to starve the AMNPS of oxygen as much as possible without letting it go out.

quote:

Your ribs might have been water packed (were they extra juicy when you put them in? I've had one butcher do that for extra weight) but more likely you're just not used to your new smoker and butcher.

A rule to remember: Your meat is never the same as the guy who wrote your recipes.

Forget any twist tests and always go with your probe and meat temp.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I also followed the Amazing Ribs recipe(I used St. Louis cut), using a standard Weber grill. I was able to get it in the 200-250 range for most of my cook; I don't have an exact recording, but I'd say they spent about 3 hours at 200-225 and about 2 hours at 225-250. They came out a bit tough, so maybe I pulled them a bit early? My main concern was that they'd dry out because they spent a fair amount of time in the 250 range.

The toughest part about cooking was maintaining a consistent temperature. I added 5-10 lit coals every 40 minutes or so, which made the ordeal rather intensive. I also had trouble keeping the temperature consistent- would this have a negative effect on the ribs? Although it did fluctuate, it was between 200-250 for 90% of the time.

I had a couple people complain that my spice rub was a bit too salty. Here's what I used (it was enough for two racks):

3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons thyme
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard

And here's how they turned out:

Apparently pork shoulders are a little more forgiving for first-timers, so I'll give that a try next time.

xcdude24 fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 8, 2012

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

xcdude24 posted:

So I also followed the Amazing Ribs recipe(I used St. Louis cut), using a standard Weber grill. I was able to get it in the 200-250 range for most of my cook; I don't have an exact recording, but I'd say they spent about 3 hours at 200-225 and about 2 hours at 225-250. They came out a bit tough, so maybe I pulled them a bit early? My main concern was that they'd dry out because they spent a fair amount of time in the 250 range.

The toughest part about cooking was maintaining a consistent temperature. I added 5-10 lit coals every 40 minutes or so, which made the ordeal rather intensive. I also had trouble keeping the temperature consistent- would this have a negative effect on the ribs? Although it did fluctuate, it was between 200-250 for 90% of the time.

I had a couple people complain that my spice rub was a bit too salty. Here's what I used (it was enough for two racks):

3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
1.5 teaspoons thyme
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried mustard

And here's how they turned out:

Apparently pork shoulders are a little more forgiving for first-timers, so I'll give that a try next time.

These rib are slightly undercook, you should see the bone stick out 1inch approximatly.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Fired up my new smoker (WSM) this weekend for the first time. It has been years since I've even had a charcoal grill, so I was a bit apprehensive.

It ended up being a lot easier to control the temperature than I had anticipated. I think starting out with a full water bowl and a full ring of unlit is the way to go starting out. It makes it really hard to screw anything up.

First run was boring, yet delicious pulled pork.

Last night I tried out the pepper stout beef from this site. Highly recommend it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

xcdude24 posted:

Were your ribs fresh or vacuum packed? sometimes ribs are sold "preseasoned" which means brined. If I'm cooking preseasoned ribs I omit salt from the rub.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Thanks for the advice everyone.

unknown posted:

Too much moisture and/or not enough sugar in the rub. I used to always use liquid in the pan, now I rarely use any. Also trim large amounts of fat off the meat and always keep the top vent fully open.

I haven't been using any liquid in the pan at all, either. I'll keep the top vent fully open next time though, and see where that gets me.

unknown posted:

Open the ash shelf about an inch and pull out the wood chip loader about an inch as well. Then reduce the chip loader size until the smoke is perfect. You basically want to starve the AMNPS of oxygen as much as possible without letting it go out.

Pulling out the wood chip loader will increase the ventilation, right? Last time kept it in all the way AND closed the top vent about halfway, and the AMNPS never threatened to go out as far as I could tell.

unknown posted:

Forget any twist tests and always go with your probe and meat temp.

Sounds good. Where do I stick the probe in a rack of babybacks? What temp should I be looking for?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Choadmaster posted:

Sounds good. Where do I stick the probe in a rack of babybacks? What temp should I be looking for?

IMO, you don't. I've never had any issues with 2-2-1, checking for them to start pulling back and doing the rest by touch.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Choadmaster posted:

I haven't been using any liquid in the pan at all, either. I'll keep the top vent fully open next time though, and see where that gets me.

Pulling out the wood chip loader will increase the ventilation, right? Last time kept it in all the way AND closed the top vent about halfway, and the AMNPS never threatened to go out as far as I could tell.

Oh yeah, always keep the top vent fully open - in fact people will put a tube (metal can) to increase the draw through it. That's probably why your pulled pork bark didn't "dry out" enough. Don't worry about having dry meat, you don't lose internal moisture since you're not cooking long enough (that's 12+ hours really).

You've got a slightly different version of the smoker than I do, but if I close the bottom of mine up, the AMNPS will go out after an hour or so.

As for the probe on ribs, well the ribs I normally get are monster in size so there's space between bones and above them. But I cheat and just use a instant read type on them most of the time now.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
What's the best strategy for keeping pulled pork warm before serving? I'm planning to supply a tailgate Saturday afternoon, so I figure I'll smoke overnight on Friday and take the meat off Saturday morning. I can foil it and hold it in a cooler, but sooner or later I'll have to pull it. Should I just pull it and then heat in an oven at ~225 for 20 minutes, then load the pulled meat into a cooler?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

GroovinPickle posted:

What's the best strategy for keeping pulled pork warm before serving? I'm planning to supply a tailgate Saturday afternoon, so I figure I'll smoke overnight on Friday and take the meat off Saturday morning. I can foil it and hold it in a cooler, but sooner or later I'll have to pull it. Should I just pull it and then heat in an oven at ~225 for 20 minutes, then load the pulled meat into a cooler?

You're not trying to cook it after it's pulled, so I'd foil over whatever you pulled it into, and stick that in the oven at a lower temperature to hold it (~170F).

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Yep. Pull it when it's still warm, and cover it to reheat. Pulled pork is fine at room temperature anyway, so I wouldn't worry about getting it too hot. If you can save the drippings (I use a drip pan for this purpose in my MES40), adding them back to the pork after you pull it will enhance the flavor and keep it moist.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

GigaFool posted:

Yep. Pull it when it's still warm, and cover it to reheat. Pulled pork is fine at room temperature anyway, so I wouldn't worry about getting it too hot. If you can save the drippings (I use a drip pan for this purpose in my MES40), adding them back to the pork after you pull it will enhance the flavor and keep it moist.

Yeah, I think you need to be more concerned about it getting too cold if you're leaving it at room temperature (food safety!)

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Will do. Piggly Wiggly had twin-packs of shoulder on sale for $0.99/lb! I usually pick up the Prairie Fresh brand, but for less than half the price I thought I'd roll the dice.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

GroovinPickle posted:

Will do. Piggly Wiggly had twin-packs of shoulder on sale for $0.99/lb! I usually pick up the Prairie Fresh brand, but for less than half the price I thought I'd roll the dice.

Just make sure they aren't "pre-seasoned" or other such term meaning they've essentially been brined. If they have, just omit the salt from your rub.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

So a couple nights ago I smoked a rack of beef back ribs, beef short ribs, and one rack of babybacks.

I think I got the babybacks right this time. I cooked them longer and they seemed a lot more tender - with the exception of the last five or so ribs at the thicker end. Is it worth cutting the rack into thirds and leaving that last third on longer?

It was my first attempt at beef ribs and I think I hit it pretty well spot-on for once. The only downside is I think I used a bit too much rub. Also, I wasn't sure what kind of sauce I should use on the beef back ribs. Any recommendations/recipes? (Yes, they were good with just the rub but it seemed like they were missing something anyway.)

Tonight I'm trying another batch of short ribs; this time I want to cook half of them just to 155 degrees and the other half to 185 like I did last time, just for comparison sake. I see some recipes call for 155 though most say 180-190.

I also tossed in a tri-tip that I'll cook to 135 degrees or so. I'm hoping this will be the most loving delicious tri-tip ever. I marinated it overnight in my usual marinade and then rubbed it with my usual rub with a little bit of sugar added. If it works out I'll post the recipe.

I had some space left so I tossed on some bell peppers, pasilla peppers stuffed with cheese (I hope that works), bratwurst, and other random poo poo. What other small things are good to throw in there?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Tomatoes. Smoked tomatoes make for awesome sauces!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Choadmaster posted:

So a couple nights ago I smoked a rack of beef back ribs, beef short ribs, and one rack of babybacks.

I think I got the babybacks right this time. I cooked them longer and they seemed a lot more tender - with the exception of the last five or so ribs at the thicker end. Is it worth cutting the rack into thirds and leaving that last third on longer?

It was my first attempt at beef ribs and I think I hit it pretty well spot-on for once. The only downside is I think I used a bit too much rub. Also, I wasn't sure what kind of sauce I should use on the beef back ribs. Any recommendations/recipes? (Yes, they were good with just the rub but it seemed like they were missing something anyway.)

Tonight I'm trying another batch of short ribs; this time I want to cook half of them just to 155 degrees and the other half to 185 like I did last time, just for comparison sake. I see some recipes call for 155 though most say 180-190.

I also tossed in a tri-tip that I'll cook to 135 degrees or so. I'm hoping this will be the most loving delicious tri-tip ever. I marinated it overnight in my usual marinade and then rubbed it with my usual rub with a little bit of sugar added. If it works out I'll post the recipe.

I had some space left so I tossed on some bell peppers, pasilla peppers stuffed with cheese (I hope that works), bratwurst, and other random poo poo. What other small things are good to throw in there?

Mullet or salmon to make some loving amazing dip out of.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
My favorite thing to fill up an empty space on the grill is smoked beans. Canned beans, some onion, a bunch of pulled pork or bacon, and some rub.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Alright, so, right now I have a 7.8 lb pork shoulder and it's been going at around 225-250 for 7 hours. Bark is starting to get black. If I foil this thing in an hour or so, leave it foiled for a couple of hours in the smoker, what are the chances this thing will be done enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Choadmaster posted:

Tritip really is a hot and fast kind of cook but tell us how it turns out.