Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
/edit - sold it.

needknees fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

powderific posted:

Speaking of scale... I've been wanted to get something fast to go with the crawler and I'm really liking the looks of the HPI mini trophy flux. For bashing I suppose something with longer suspension travel like a Stampede or Slash would make the most sense, but I just really enjoy the scale looks of the mini trophy. For some reason it just feels more fun to me when the RC looks like a full size vehicle.

To be fair, the Pede does look like a full size monster truck, and is pretty well to scale.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, somehow I hadn't thought of that at all. Good point.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
dam this thing is sexy, and its not even finished.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 28, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Have a spare front or rear end from a car or truck, a motorcycle and a gopro? You can make a following camera rig for your bike. Crossposted from CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKmO-0ADbUc

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That truck looks great Howser! I'm excited to see how you like it.

That GoPro mount is awesome! That finally gives me reason to build a trailer for my Axial. We have several GoPros at work that we mount on the monster trucks so I could just snag one for a trail run.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's a really cool idea. I wonder if you could make some kind of sliding/rotating/something mount that'd let you put the rig parallel to the bike for a closer view without the pole in frame.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

We had our second club meet yesterday, and it went great. I met a bunch of cool dudes. I had to put my XJ body on the truck though, as my Comanche is terrible for hardcore crawling as the lexan bumpers get hung up. Here is a quick video I shot. I really need to upgrade to a better camera now that I'm going to be doing this regularly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzTQ4sSyGQU

Special note for this last truck. He has SCX10 frame rails on order but since he didn't want to miss the meet he used part of his kid's Erector Set for frame rails! That's why the angles are all goofy. Great ingenuity in a bind, though! In the video you can see the rear end has crazy angles.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Before I even read the sentence about the erector set I was like Holy poo poo! Erector Set!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, that scale get together looks really fun. The local (not scale) comping group will occasionally do a scale run, but the place they go for scale runs doesn't have very good terrain for crawling. They're also pretty dormant—seems like the last run was almost a year ago.

After thinking about the Mini Trophy and Stampede, I've decided my next kit is probably going to be an Exo. Building the kit is a huge part of the fun for me and there doesn't seem to be much/anything else out there for 4wd kits at the Exo's pricepoint.

I could use some advice on electronics though. For the ESC and motor I was thinking the Castle SCT sv2 3800 combo, and for the servo I was just going to get the same traxxas blue servo I used in the Dingo, all controlled with the cheapo Spektrum TX that came with my Losi MRC. Seems like that setup offers a good combination of performance with a budget. How essential is the programming link thing for the ESC? I really like the portable programmer I got with my Duratrax DE10 as I don't really want to drag a laptop around for programming if I can help it. Also have zero experience with brushless setups so I have no idea if there are better alternatives out there. I just saw a few people using the Castle combo in their Exos and it's pretty darn cheap.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
got my shorty packs from hobbyking, man they are tiny and awesome!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Looks nice! How long did it take you to get it? It took me about 3 weeks to get a 6000 mah pack from them. It shipped from Switzerland.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I feel like I'm going to have a million questions for this thread. I'll try and keep them organized.

I've pretty much decided on a slash as I'm just looking for a fun basher and overall I'm going to value reliablity/durability. Of course, when I'm going to get one is another question, but we'll see. Undecided between brushed or brushless, and leaning towards 2wd just for simplicity. If I can get a good deal on a VXL I'll probably go that route, but again I'd probably be happy with a 2WD brushed for the time being.

Anyway, many questions:
1. School me on lipos/other batteries. I've read further back in the thread the hobbyking cheap ones are fine. What's 2S vs 3S etc? Can I do lipos on brushed as well or do the provide too much current? Are they going to work right out of the box, am I going to need a specific connector for the slash? How do I know what battery packs will work with the slash? I'd hate to get this fun toy and then be stuck with 10 minutes of run time and then waiting forever for a charge. I'm fine with NiMH or whatever so long as it's good runtime and I won't have to buy them every couple of months.

2. Chargers, etc. What charger should I get? Can they do NiMH as well as lipo? What's the balancing stuff people talk about? Is charging batteries really that complex?

3. Basically does anyone want to make a shopping list for me assuming I have a brushed or VXL? Like "Here n00b, buy this charger and two of these batteries" and this and such and then love life. I just want a modest setup for decent runtime and overall reliability, so if I want to bash around with a friend we're not done after 20 minutes.

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. My wife doesn't really care too much what I buy, but with the holidays coming up and some house stuff planned I'm not sure when I'll be buying. Subscribing to the URC youtube channel was a terrible idea.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not an expert by any means, but I can answer some of your questions:

1. Lipos are great. I'd suggest getting Roar approved hardcases from hobbyking or hobbypartz, but others could correct me on that. 2S vs. 3S. is how much voltage they put out. It affects how much power you'll have on tap with the motor. Lipos work fine on brushed. Whether you can handle 3S or not depends mostly on the ESC. One great thing about Lipos is they'll run foreeeever compared to NiMH. Depending on your setup 30, 40 minutes isn't unreasonable.

You will need to have Traxxas style connectors on the battery, and unless you buy from traxxas you'll probably need to solder them onto the battery leads. I think these are good batteries: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ger-w-LCD-4S-8A but there are loads of good options out there. Since you're subscribed to URC on the tubes you can check out some of his battery reviews; I'm sure you'll find a good recommendation in there somewhere.

2. Chargers that do NiMH will generally do lipo as well. You can probably look up balancing if you feel like it, but you don't really need to understand anything other than that you'll want a balancing charger. I like this charger since it's easy and you don't need a separate power supply: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...ger-w-LCD-4S-8A I think mine even came with a traxxas charge lead.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Looks nice! How long did it take you to get it? It took me about 3 weeks to get a 6000 mah pack from them. It shipped from Switzerland.

Mine came from Switzerland too! It took a little over 2 weeks for me to get it. I don't really mind the wait, as lipos in Qatar can be hard to come by for a decent price.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!

dreesemonkey posted:

I feel like I'm going to have a million questions for this thread. I'll try and keep them organized.

I've pretty much decided on a slash as I'm just looking for a fun basher and overall I'm going to value reliablity/durability.

If you're buying purely for bashing you should consider a Stampede. When I decided to get a modern RC truck last year I had a hard time choosing between a Slash and a Stampede. I got the 'pede and I don't regret it one bit. The Slash is fine and all, but for pure unbridled rear end out madness you cant do better than a Stampede. Definitely spring for brushless and lipos if you can, it really is that much better.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Depending on your setup 30, 40 minutes isn't unreasonable.

At our meet on Saturday my SCX10 lasted a hair over 2 hours on a single 5000 2s pack. My motor is the 27t stocker. It still had about 800 mah left in the tank when I turned it off! That's insane to me.

EDIT - and yes, go for a stampede unless you think you may want to try your hand at racing. The Stampede is the king of affordable bashers. IMO, the King of "any price" bashers would be the Traxxas Summit. I got to drive one on Saturday again (didn't shoot pics of it) and they are insanely fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

I've pretty much decided on a slash as I'm just looking for a fun basher and overall I'm going to value reliablity/durability. Of course, when I'm going to get one is another question, but we'll see. Undecided between brushed or brushless, and leaning towards 2wd just for simplicity. If I can get a good deal on a VXL I'll probably go that route, but again I'd probably be happy with a 2WD brushed for the time being.

Anyway, many questions:
1. School me on lipos/other batteries. I've read further back in the thread the hobbyking cheap ones are fine. What's 2S vs 3S etc? Can I do lipos on brushed as well or do the provide too much current? Are they going to work right out of the box, am I going to need a specific connector for the slash? How do I know what battery packs will work with the slash? I'd hate to get this fun toy and then be stuck with 10 minutes of run time and then waiting forever for a charge. I'm fine with NiMH or whatever so long as it's good runtime and I won't have to buy them every couple of months.

2. Chargers, etc. What charger should I get? Can they do NiMH as well as lipo? What's the balancing stuff people talk about? Is charging batteries really that complex?

3. Basically does anyone want to make a shopping list for me assuming I have a brushed or VXL? Like "Here n00b, buy this charger and two of these batteries" and this and such and then love life. I just want a modest setup for decent runtime and overall reliability, so if I want to bash around with a friend we're not done after 20 minutes.

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. My wife doesn't really care too much what I buy, but with the holidays coming up and some house stuff planned I'm not sure when I'll be buying. Subscribing to the URC youtube channel was a terrible idea.

WALL OF TEXT AHEAD. Hope it helps

1) 2S and 3S refer to how many individual cells are in the pack. 2S is a 2-cell pack, 3S is a 3-cell pack and so on. This also defines voltage. as each cell is 3.7 volts. So a 3S pack is 11.1 volts. This voltage per cell is the standard across the RC world

The packs capacity is defined in milliamp hours or MAH. The 4.2 battery a couple posts up is a 4200mah battery. The higher the mah, the longer the runtime you get.

Packs are also rated by the rate at which they can charge and discharge. This is known as C. A pack with a charge rate of 2C means it can charge at twice its rated current. If you have a 5000mah battery with a 2C charge rate, you can charge it at 10 amps, for example. If that same pack can discharge at 40C, it can put out 200 amps (for short bursts). Really the discharge C rate will determine the amount of "punch" the battery has, or how hard it hits when you pull the throttle.

You can do lipos on brushed motors. No battery will ever "provide too much current", as current is defined by the source drawing that current. The motor will draw as much current as it can take and thats it. You could run a full size car battery on there, and the effect would be much the same as a 3S pack, just with a way longer run time.

Voltage, however CAN ruin things. Running a 3S pack on a speed controller designed for 2S for example can ruin the speed controller and/or overheat the motor. Voltage also defines how fast the motor spins, so applying too much voltage (i.e. using a 3S pack when you should use a 2S) can burn out your motor.

Motor speed is defined as KV. A 2000KV motor spins at 2000 RPMs (unloaded) when one volt of electricity is applied to it, so on 2S (7.4V) it would spin at 14,800RPM. KV is actually important in determining which motor is appropriate for a vehicle. Low KV motors make more torque and are better for applications that require torque. High KV motors spin fast but make less torque.

Thats R/C electrics in a nutshell.

As for the other part of question 1, the Slash (and the Stampede, since they're basically the same truck) works best on 2S. It will run on 3S as well but unless you're familiar with gearing a slash and whatnot, stick to 2S to avoid overheating issues. 5000mah is pretty standard for the slash and will give you around 10-15 minutes runtime going balls out for the whole pack. Taking your finger off the throttle a bit will extend the runtime. I generally get more like 20-25 minutes running my Stampede around with 5000mah packs. A 5000mah at a 2C charge takes like 30 minutes to recharge. You can run up to 10,000mah with a raised battery tray cover. The slash uses Traxxas connectors, available at any RC shop that sells traxxas. Traxxas connectors are in my opinion the best connector going for general R/C use. Dont listen to the hobby shop guy who might to try to sell you on Deans connectors, they're a pain, and in this application, they offer no advantage. DO NOT buy nimh batteries. The runtime is poo poo, the recharge time is poo poo, and they have zero punch compared to lipo, plus they will wear out quicker. Just get lipo out of the gate.

2) Any charger that can do lipo can do nimh and all other common stuff. I'd personally recommend at least something that can do a 5000mah battery at a 2C charge rate. I have this one and love it: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15167
That will also require a power supply: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19680
You can also make a power supply out of a PC power supply. I did that and it works great, plus its cheap.

Balancing is the act of ensuring that all of the cells (remember 2S and 3S batteries have 2 or 3 individual cells in them, respectively) in a battery are at the same voltage. Some people think you have to balance every charge, I generally do it at least every couple. Its a maintenance thing that ensures that your batteries dont get out of whack. I have this balancer: http://www.astroflight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=20

Many chargers can also balance.

Charging lipos is not complex, but you need to make sure you are doing it right. Basically if you have a lipo charger, you need to make sure that you are charging at the right voltage for your pack (the charger will let you select 2S/3S/4S/etc, many will autodetect the S rating of the battery), and you need to charge at the right current. If you charge a 2C battery at 3C or higher, you risk ruining it, or in the worst case having it burst and start on fire. If you're not stupid, you dont have much to worry about. Realize that lipos are not your standard AA batteries that sit in your TV remote, and if you dont take care of them while charging and discharging, they can bite you.

3) The list:

Charger: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15167

Power Supply: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19680
Alternately, dig up an old PC power supply and follow this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446764

Batteries:
20C 5000mah 2s: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14976
30C 5000mah 2S: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14980
40C 5000mah 2S: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28210
Each battery listed is essentially the same, just with different C ratings. The higher C ratings will lead to more punch, and cost more. Any will work on the Slash. Buy more than one of whatever battery you choose, as running a battery out and waiting to charge it sucks, even if lipos do charge fast

Battery connectors: Your slash will come with a Traxxas connector on the ESC (electronic speed control). The above mentioned batteries dont come with one. Assuming you can solder, buy these: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1574_1592/products_id/17492/n/Traxxas-Female-Connector-Set-2 and solder them on to the batteries. If you cant solder, take the batteries into your hobby shop and have them solder the traxxas connectors on. IMPORTANT POINT: The ESC always gets the male connector and the batteries ALWAYS get the female connector. You do not want to unleash the fury of a lipo all at once with an errant touch from a screwdriver.

Balancer: This is easy and pretty cheap. I have one and it works great: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRZ9

Other notes: When you order from HobbyKing, MAKE SURE you are ordering from the USA warehouse, otherwise be prepared for your stuff to take 4 weeks to ship. All of the HK links I provided are to the USA warehouse. If you're not in the USA disregard this.

You may look at the costs of lipos, chargers, power supplies, balancers, etc and think that its a lot. Bear in mind that the lipos that the slash/stampede take are pretty industry standard stuff and will transfer easily to another car. The charging gear will also transfer over, so you really have to make the battery investment only once. I've been running the same lipos and charging gear for about 3 years now, through an XL-5 stampede, a VXL slash, and now 4x4 stampede.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 2, 2012

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've never run out of battery on my Dingo with a 55 turn motor. Even NiMH seems to last ages on crawlers. I wasn't sure how those run times translated to faster stuff other than that it was still really good.

How do you like the 27t motor in the SCX10? I was thinking of switching my 55t back to the stock can for some faster trail running. Also thinking about a second set of wheels and tires that I'd leave unweighted to make crawling more challenging at my usual spot, and for the faster running. These Gmade beadlocks look really good, especially for the very low price: http://store.rc4wd.com/19-VR01-Beadlocks-2-White-_p_2369.html.

edit: and they look pretty stellar on a white dingo, which is perfect since I have a white dingo. http://scalerc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=5&id=15994&Itemid=25

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 2, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HoWSeR posted:

got my shorty packs from hobbyking, man they are tiny and awesome!

130C discharge :stare:

Wow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Isnt discharge easier to get as you add cells though? Thats 21C per cell.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
If I can toot my horn a little: about a year ago I got a call asking for an 'RC Car Operator' to help out with a TV shoot in London. The show is finally premiering tomorrow night on BBC 1, it's called 'Hunted' and it's done by the same team that did 'Spooks', if you've ever heard of that. Sort of an action-drama spy thing. The shoot itself was interesting, shooting one scene took 2 days because it involved crashing cars, lots of extras and other stuff. The RC truck has an interesting role in it, I don't want to give the scene away but it doesn't end well for it :( Although I know what happens, I mainly hope that they make the truck look good, but it did have a very specific role in the scene.

Anyway, the info is here for it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vndpl if you're in the UK you can watch it on the iPlayer after it's shown live...if you're outside the UK you can find it in other ways I'm sure.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

WALL OF TEXT AHEAD. Hope it helps

Absolutely amazing, thank you! All that makes it much clearer, should be in the OP!

Are you not happy with the job that charger does balancing? Just curious since you have that add on blinking balancer.

RE: Slash vs. Stampede

I checked out the stampede and it looks pretty cool. I don't really care about wheelies that much and I prefer the look of the sc/stadium trucks to the monster trucks but I guess looks alone is a silly reason to buy something.

It it a better basher just due to more suspension travel or wider track or something?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dreesemonkey posted:

Absolutely amazing, thank you! All that makes it much clearer, should be in the OP!

Are you not happy with the job that charger does balancing? Just curious since you have that add on blinking balancer.

RE: Slash vs. Stampede

I checked out the stampede and it looks pretty cool. I don't really care about wheelies that much and I prefer the look of the sc/stadium trucks to the monster trucks but I guess looks alone is a silly reason to buy something.

It it a better basher just due to more suspension travel or wider track or something?

I have smaller plane batteries that have different balancing plugs, so they dont work on that charger, and I always use the blinky. The charger will balance the batteries just fine. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

The Stampede is a better basher due to higher ground clearance, bigger tires, and longer travel suspension. The Slash will bash with the best of them as well, but the Stampede is just that little bit better at it. The slash will get hung up in longer grass due to its lower stance and wider, lower body that the Stampede will walk through.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's also not a real car or practical purchase at all so it's not silly to buy something because you like how it looks. Just keep in mind what Silly-balls mentioned about how they handle different terrain and think about where you'll be bashing. Scale crawlers aren't as good at going over rocks as comp crawlers, but comp crawlers do nothing for me.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It may just boil down to what I can find a better deal on. If I can find a good used setup I might not be able to be too picky. If I end up buying new I'll probably buy what I want. I plan on mostly just ripping around my yard which is smooth for the most part with not very high grass. I don't think I'd want to bash on real rough terrain because let's be honest: Watching these things do ridiculous mph is pretty awesome.

It's a little daunting seeing the other associated costs but I had somewhat expected those. May try and make my own power supply, I'm sure I can find an old PC PSU around.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

powderific posted:

Yeah, I've never run out of battery on my Dingo with a 55 turn motor. Even NiMH seems to last ages on crawlers. I wasn't sure how those run times translated to faster stuff other than that it was still really good.

How do you like the 27t motor in the SCX10? I was thinking of switching my 55t back to the stock can for some faster trail running. Also thinking about a second set of wheels and tires that I'd leave unweighted to make crawling more challenging at my usual spot, and for the faster running. These Gmade beadlocks look really good, especially for the very low price: http://store.rc4wd.com/19-VR01-Beadlocks-2-White-_p_2369.html.

The 27T works fantastic. I like it so much more than the 55t I used to have. In addition to being able to maintain a pace that can beat a snail, it has plenty of torque for trailing. I've never run into a situation where I wish I had the 55t still. They are also dirt cheap and require no soldering to replace, so I'm going to keep using them.

As for those wheels, one of our club members has them on his scx10 with a white cherokee body and it looks boss as hell. He wasn't at our last 2 meets though, so the truck isn't pictured.

Dreesemonkey, I'm going to say go for a Slash. Sounds like you think the trophy truck look is really cool so just go for it. A RTR slash actually does come with everything you'd need, even if the battery sucks and charger is slow as balls. You can at least run a pack or two through and see if you want to spend a little extra money on a new battery/charger. Just know that the performance of your stock truck will definitely wake up with a new battery.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This seems like the best place to ask, so I will. What are the good(ish) brands of cheap (chinese?) remote control cars? My son is just getting to the age where rc cars are the coolest thing ever and I remember how very disappointing cheap rc cars were when I was a kid. So what should I be looking out for?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buy a used XL-5 Stampede with a grip of nimh batteries. Way waaaaaaaayyyyy better truck than anything chinese, and will actually be fun, durable (parts are everywhere as well), and able to grow with your son. The XL-5 has a learner mode that only lets you apply like 50% throttle to keep it easier for kids.

Plus its, you know, actually a fun truck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Sta...=item3ccb3039c7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Sta...=item46082881df

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 4, 2012

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Traxxas is at it again. New Rally car! Looks a lot like a modified slash 4x4 chassis but still pretty cool.

http://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/7407rally

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The proportions are a little weird, maybe due to the width? Still pretty neat though. I like it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Man, I haven't played with any of this stuff in years, but I picked up a Losi micro rally car last week and this thing is SO MUCH FUN.
Now I'm scheming up plans to get my old cars from my parents house a thousand miles away.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

powderific posted:

The proportions are a little weird, maybe due to the width? Still pretty neat though. I like it.

Thunder Tiger's EB4 with the WRC Mini shell sort of has the same thing going on. The Mini shell looks too short rather than too wide though.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

We had a another trail meet today. I also bought a new set of swampers for my honcho that blow the RC4wds out of the water. These are the proline TSL's.

Check out this dudes HPI Wheelie King. This truck is the most :rock: Wheelie King I've ever seen!

One of our guys brought his Traxxas Summit out and if I had the dough I'd buy one. Easily the coolest all in one basher vehicle I've ever driven. It was crawling pretty drat well.

Here is a short 3 min youtube video. I'm getting better at shooting this stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq_gkEzooiY

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Dog Case posted:

Man, I haven't played with any of this stuff in years, but I picked up a Losi micro rally car last week and this thing is SO MUCH FUN.
Now I'm scheming up plans to get my old cars from my parents house a thousand miles away.

I ended up with the micro SCT beacuse it had better ground clearance. On carpet, they have enough traction to roll. It's awesome.

Do you have some 2s lipos for it? If not, recifty that. NOW.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I really wish Traxxas Summits weren't so expensive :( . I really want to buy one because I've had so much fun driving my friends the last couple weeks. They are just so drat expensive! I wish I had some video of it. We took it to the same creek that our other trucks were in and ripped through the creek bed like a missile.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Last summer series race in the books at Omaha's badass Hobbytown Hobbyplex. I ran 1/8th electric buggy and 1/8th pro buggy. First time I've had the tekno car on a big track... very impressed. I changed exactly nothing (save for gearing) from when I was running it on our small indoor track and it worked amazingly well on the 'plex's big track. Incredible on power steering and aggressive but stable turn in. The more you're on the throttle the happier the car is.

Ended up qualified 2nd in e buggy (was on a TQ in the second round run but threw it away on the last two laps) behind another central Iowa driver. Made a good pass on lap three and it was game over :). I was concerned my 2200mAh batteries wouldn't make 10min so I was driving easy... rarely going over ~60% throttle, even on the long back straight. This probably played out in my favor because I made very few mistakes. Battery ended up making it with some room to spare, although on a higher traction surface I don't think it'd have enough juice. Going to order some 2650s, that will give me the extra room I need to actually use the power available.

Nitro was awesome. Ended up taking TQ by 3 seconds in the final round of qualifying. They ended up running 30min nitro A mains... I've run a couple before and had nothing but problems. Not this time :). Engine ran great, got fantastic fuel economy (could have easily made 10min stops, played it safe and ran 7.5min) and ended up winning the main by over 13 seconds. Nitro is amazing when your poo poo works like it should!

I have to say I'm the happiest with my r/c fleet I've ever been. The EB48 is an amazing car, the losi 8ight seems to fit my driving style significantly better than the 8.2 ever did (and it's proved to be much more reliable), and the DEX210 is one badass little buggy. Good to finally settle on things!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I should really try to make it out to watch one of those things. The Hobbyplex is only about a 15 minute drive from me but I've never seen the actual track.

On the Summit, since you already have a crawler, are you really gaining that much by getting a summit over a VXL 4x4 Stampede? The versatility is definitely cool, but you'd still have both halves of the equation covered with a Stampede/SCX10 combo and it'd be cheaper.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

awesome text

sounds like good times! the heat is dying down here, finally will get a chance to try out my eb48! so looking forward to it.

Looking at getting a Losi TLR 22 sct for Christmas, I have a slash 2wd with a LCG chassis but figured its best to stop pumping money into it and get a proper racing 2wd.

Just wondering has anyone raced 2wd short course? any tips would be great, still looking at tire choices for my local track. Thinking maybe Hot Bodies HB Megagrids for the rear and Hot Bodies HB Megabite for the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Help learn me modern technology.

So digital servos are a thing. Is that standard for everything now?

If I have cars with electronics from the dinosaur era:

Would I need new servos or ESCs if I wanted to stick Spektrum receivers in there and use one new TX for everything?

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 8, 2012