Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I just noticed, apparently Ysengrm lost more of his ear over time, be it due to art style or something I've forgotten-

Older, where he seems to be missing about half of his right ear: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=483

Newer, where the whole thing seems to have gone: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1092

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I'm calling Jones as Jimmy Jims mother. I think that's weird disconnected motherly affection and James inherited some super buffness from her.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I randomly met a goon from this thread, yesterday while I was out of town. Turns out I made his avatar, too.

Gunnerkrigg makes this small world come together.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Just like Darkseid!
(Jones is Darkseid)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

I just noticed, apparently Ysengrm lost more of his ear over time, be it due to art style or something I've forgotten-

Older, where he seems to be missing about half of his right ear: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=483

Newer, where the whole thing seems to have gone: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1092

Coyote just wanted a snack. :3:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh god daylight savings time means I have to wait extra for Gunnerkrigg gently caress you hemispheres

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things just got spooky. On the other hand LOOK AT THAT HAT.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Off to boarding school!

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Holy poo poo Jones is an airline steward :aaaaa:

Hopefully we go centuries back on Wednesday because I can't wait for the pay-off

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Wednesday's comic will just be Jones drifting along in space at the beginning of the universe. :geno:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Desperate Character posted:

Holy poo poo Jones is an airline steward :aaaaa:

Hopefully we go centuries back on Wednesday because I can't wait for the pay-off
I'm just wondering what the logical conclusion of this is. Millennia ago? Years in the past but not many?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wednesday's comic will be Jones delivering Jimmy.

Friday will be Jones introducing his parents.

KwegiboHB
Feb 2, 2004

nonconformist art brut
Negative prompt: amenable, compliant, docile, law-abiding, lawful, legal, legitimate, obedient, orderly, submissive, tractable
Steps: 32, Sampler: DPM++ 2M Karras, CFG scale: 11, Seed: 520244594, Size: 512x512, Model hash: 99fd5c4b6f, Model: seekArtMEGA_mega20

AE-35 Unit posted:

Wednesday's comic will just be Jones drifting along in space at the beginning of the universe. :geno:

That's friday, wednesday will be Jones overlooking a car with steam filled windows on makeout point.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

quote:

Mr. Eglamore whistles, "Do all their teachers look like that?" and Mrs. Eglamore playfully slaps him. There are tears in her eyes.

Tom is a pretty good writer.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
But with the exception of "the previous day" they all include James.

Edit: Yeah this:

MikeJF posted:

Wednesday's comic will be Jones delivering Jimmy.

Friday will be Jones introducing his parents.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

In a few week Jones will be saving one of Eglamore's direct ancestors from a burning cottage.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

pik_d posted:

But with the exception of "the previous day" they all include James.

Well, she did say that she'd always be there for him. Always.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jones is Jones.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

At the conclusion of this flashback series, we learn that the human race and, indeed, life, were created by Jones and only exist so that she could eventually bring around James.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MikeJF posted:

At the conclusion of this flashback series, we learn that the human race and, indeed, life, were created by Jones and only exist so that she could eventually bring around James.

In the Beginning was Jones, and Jones said "let there be Jimmy Jims", and lo, it took quite a while but Jimmy Jims was there eventually. And Jones saw that Jimmy Jims was good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

She's only doing this to get close to James' eventual descendant.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Goddamnit, Jones is a loving time lord isnt she?

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
I could actually see this flashback series ending with her observing the founding of the court, similar to the hologram reconstruction, but instead of wearing a pencil-skirt she's in crinoline.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
:stare:
At that point, it's hard to try and rationalise as Jones merely being five or years older than Jimmy Jims. Though she does look marginally younger.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yeah this page is pretty clear that she's not aging or aging very very slowly.

So we've had "A day ago" "A week ago" "Years ago" "Several years ago" "Many years ago" "Decades ago", what's next? Several decades? A century ago?

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

"Back in the day"?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I love how this arc has made me go awwww-uhhh--ewwww...

Makes me wonder why Jones would want to be in a picture with a bunch of kids though/why James would want her to be there?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Well now we know who the next medium is, it's an in transition Jimmy Jims. Jones has been preparing her for this day for decades.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

DarkCrawler posted:

I love how this arc has made me go awwww-uhhh--ewwww...

Makes me wonder why Jones would want to be in a picture with a bunch of kids though/why James would want her to be there?

That we can partially answer I think: She seems to be a pretty major figure in Eglamore's life since he came to the court, so he'd probably want her to be present for whatever was the photography commemorating.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

quote:

Mr. Eglamore whistles, "Do all their teachers look like that?" and Mrs. Eglamore playfully slaps him. There are tears in her eyes.

Eglamore, you hound!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jones doesn't age: confirmed.

Jones is goddamned creepy: ultra-super confirmed.

AlexG
Jul 15, 2004
If you can't solve a problem with gaffer tape, it's probably insoluble anyway.
Clearly Jones is Eglamore's guardian angel, or similar companion-protector figure. Coyote's theory applies to her in that she is a projection from Jimmy Jims' own mind, which explains her strength and emotional stability, and also why Surma didn't like her and ultimately paired off with Tony.

Also she is not a robot android golem elemental.

(Still shooting for one day making a correct prediction about this comic.)

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

AlexG posted:

Clearly Jones is Eglamore's guardian angel, or similar companion-protector figure. Coyote's theory applies to her in that she is a projection from Jimmy Jims' own mind, which explains her strength and emotional stability, and also why Surma didn't like her and ultimately paired off with Tony.

Also she is not a robot android golem elemental.

(Still shooting for one day making a correct prediction about this comic.)

Wondering Eye would be a very appropriate name for a guardian figure. Not sure about the mental projection part of your theory though.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Disquieting speculations aside, Friday's strip ( http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1100 ) did actually solve one mystery for me, if only partially. The six friends (Anja, Donny, Jimmy Jims, Surma, Brinnie, and Anthony) were all brought together when they were "accidentally" stuck in Chester for their first year. Presumably, being the only six relatively normal humans among a bunch of maroons and joiks caused them to naturally gravitate to one another, in some cases forming lifelong bonds.

That "error" in class assignment always seemed suspicious to me, and now we've seen Jones introducing two of them. And given her interest in Eglamore, there's no way she'd miss an error like that for a whole school year. So now we at least know the "who", if not the "why" Jones would want to bring this particular group together. Maybe we'll get some hint in the upcoming strips.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

minimalist posted:

Disquieting speculations aside, Friday's strip ( http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=1100 ) did actually solve one mystery for me, if only partially. The six friends (Anja, Donny, Jimmy Jims, Surma, Brinnie, and Anthony) were all brought together when they were "accidentally" stuck in Chester for their first year. Presumably, being the only six relatively normal humans among a bunch of maroons and joiks caused them to naturally gravitate to one another, in some cases forming lifelong bonds.

That "error" in class assignment always seemed suspicious to me, and now we've seen Jones introducing two of them. And given her interest in Eglamore, there's no way she'd miss an error like that for a whole school year. So now we at least know the "who", if not the "why" Jones would want to bring this particular group together. Maybe we'll get some hint in the upcoming strips.

Oh drat, that makes me wonder if there's some sort of funky-rear end breeding program going on. :tinfoil:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
...you know just looking back at past comics, it's not entirely certain that there is any romance between them, right...? Maybe they are just really really close or Jones doesn't just understand how affection is displayed or something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh drat, that makes me wonder if there's some sort of funky-rear end breeding program going on. :tinfoil:

I'm guessing a dose of destiny myself.

Wait, don't the Fates have a single eye between them in some stories? Maybe she's the eye of the Fates gone walkabout.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

minimalist posted:

I dunno, the implication I got from how Anja put it was that it was her, Surma and Brinnie in Chester, and the guys in Queslet. Donnie in particular didn't seem to know much about Anja's powers (until the tree-dog incident), which he probably would have if he'd been in the weirdo class with her.

Seems to me like Donny was friends with Eglamore and Anthony (though they weren't friends with each other), then the girls joined Queslett and Jimmy Jims and Donny became friends with them, with Anthony along for the ride.

Also interesting is that Eglamore seemed to have moved to the Court well before actually starting school there. School starts at year 7 apparently, and Jimmy and Donny were introduced at the start of 7 'many years ago', but Eglamore went to the Court 'decades ago'. Unless maybe there's like an elementary/middle-school analogues to go with the current high-school one?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

Jones is the Bene Gesserit!

Jones doesn't seem to age because she just transfers her mind from clone to clone.

Eglamore is a necessary step on the way to the Kwisatz Haderach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man the Jones/Elgamore relationship has gone from kind of sweet to a little weird to downright creepy.