Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

crazyfish posted:

So apparently Cantillon Zwanze Day is on December 1st, and like last year, West Lakeview Liquors will be hosting again. I didn't get to go last year, but are any other Chicagoans planning on attending? I know I will be...

I could see myself making it to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dear Lord. Charity raffle at Monk's happening right now, $10/ticket.

Cantillon Gueuze 1998
Cantillon Monk's Café Gueuze
Cantillon Iris 1996
Cantillon Zwanze 2008 - 375ml
Cantillon Zwanze 2009
Cantillon Zwanze 2010
De Cam Geuze bottled 2007
Drie Fonteinen Geuze 1999
Drie Fonteinen J&J Geuze Blauw
Drie Fonteinen Malvasia Grapes
Drie Fonteinen Doesjet - 375ml
Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeeske Kriek
Toer de Geuze 2011 Horal's Oude Geuze
Chimay Grand Reserve 1991
Chimay Grand Reserve 1992
Chimay Grand Reserve 1994
Chimay Grand Reserve 1995
Chimay Grand Reserve 1999
Orval - Feb 1992
Orval - Aug 2009
Orval - 2012
Rochefort 6
Rochefort 8
Rochefort 10
Westmalle Double
Westmalle Triple
Westvleteren XII six pack w/glassware
Stuise Black Mes Black Damnation III (Caol Ila)
Stuise Cuvee Delphine (Four Roses)
Struise Kalbert (Port)
DeMolen Tsarina Esra (Cognac)
DeMolen Heaven & Hell
DeMolen Cease & Desist
DeMolen / Struise Black Damnation 666
Victory Storm King 1998
Thomas Hardy 1994
Firestone Walker Parabola
Hülimann Smichlaus 1989
Arcadia XV (w/cherries in a wine barrel)
Arcadia 15 (w/cherries ina bourbon barrel)
Allagash Coolship Balaton
Allagash Coolship Red
Allagash Coolship Resurgam
Allagash Ghoulschip
Allagash Confluence 2009
Allagash Curieux 2012
Allagash Interlude 2008
Allagash Interlude 2009
Allagash Mattina Rossa
Allagash Odyssey 2009
Allagash Odyssey 2010
Allagash Odyssey 2011
Isabelle Proximus

Stupid work.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wattershed posted:

1. I like Big Eye more than Sculpin and get excited when a restaurant has that on tap over Sculpin.
Yeah that comment was at least half ironic. I'm not a fan of Big Eye, but it's a decently executed beer. I just love the grapefruity goodness of Sculpin.

Went to a beer release party on Friday night, Joseph James's Oktoberfest. It's one of the last things brewed by Alex Graham, who recently started at Tenaya Creek brewery (another local, inferior to JJ) in a marketing position. The beer's great for the style, smooth and malty with well-balanced hop presence and an overall autumnal feel. It's significantly better than Oktoberfest offerings from other local breweries.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
The Best List Ever(tm) Would travel there just for some Westy.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 8, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I don't understand why beer geeks don't go nuts over Firestone Walker stuff, I guesa because they don't bother with big releases, but gently caress Double DBA is excellent. I havn't had another BA beer that compares to the quality of their BA beers.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Midorka posted:

I don't understand why beer geeks don't go nuts over Firestone Walker stuff, I guesa because they don't bother with big releases, but gently caress Double DBA is excellent. I havn't had another BA beer that compares to the quality of their BA beers.

A lot of beer geeks do like FW though?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Midorka posted:

I don't understand why beer geeks don't go nuts over Firestone Walker stuff

:stare: Are you aware how rapidly they're expanding?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Yes, but no one really makes a fuss over their releases like BCBS, Dark Lord, and etc and it boggles my mind.

Edit: What does their expansion have to do with my sentiments? I'm not saying that people don't love Firestone Walker, I'm saying that you'll hear about Hopslam, Dark Lord, even Pliny all the time but even Parabola was quiet in comparison, as far as talk/hype on the net goes.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 8, 2012

nah
Mar 16, 2009

But they do.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Midorka posted:

Yes, but no one really makes a fuss over their releases like BCBS, Dark Lord, and etc and it boggles my mind.

Edit: What does their expansion have to do with my sentiments? I'm not saying that people don't love Firestone Walker, I'm saying that you'll hear about Hopslam, Dark Lord, even Pliny all the time but even Parabola was quiet in comparison, as far as talk/hype on the net goes.

Dark Lord is a brewery only release that has a event based around it, not really comparable. I see a lot of talk/hype on it, I don't know. I'd care more if they distributed to WI, I guess.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Really, they do. In Chicago, only Bourbon County had more hype than Parabola this year. Sucaba flew off the shelves. Double DBA is still available, but probably because the style isn't a hyped one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Uh yeah gonna have to agree that Firestone is widely regarded as one of the world's great breweries. If there's a lack of internet beer nerd hype it's probably because their barrel program is huge and even their limited releases are easy as hell to find . And their marketing doesn't go out of its way to artificially generate hype with giant events like Dark Lord Day.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Enthusiasm for Firestone Walker stuff is like their label art: understated, but appropriate for the quality of their product. I squee a little when I see new FW stuff on shelves, and I frequently miss out on things like Parabola because they get pre-reserved and picked up super early by beer nerds with more time and money than I have. They may be the only brewery I trust implicitly; no matter what they put out, if it has their name on the label I'm going to buy it and it's going to be good. They do not make beers that suck.

I forgot to say earlier I opened a 2012 Angel's Share with friends over the weekend. It's doing far better than I expected. Fresh, it tasted like barrel scrapings and nothing else. Now the bourbon is starting to come out a bit, the harshest oak tannins have relaxed, and tastes like a heavily-barrelled beer instead of just a barrel. Give it another three to six months and I'd say it will be doing quite well. I'm now pleased rather than bummed that I picked up six bottles when it released.

Other stuff I did at a weekend Oktoberfest get-together:
Had a flawed (oxidized, I think) Duchesse de Bourgogne. It was all overripe plum and cherry, and the color was way darker than I remember it being. A real shame, as it's a fantastic beer when it isn't hosed up.
One of my friends had been to VA earlier in the week and she brought back a Blue Mountain Brewery Dark Hollow, a barrel aged imperial stout. It was very good, but probably suffered from being tasted right after a 2011 Serpent Stout (which was loving awesome).
2006 3 Fonteinen Doesjel was loving fantastic. It's still my biggest beer-buying regret that I didn't snap up the two cases I saw last year in a random liquor store in Boston.
Hangar 24 Polycot is a tasty wheatwine, very heavy on the wheat flavors. The apricot gets kind of lost. Maybe it was more obvious when it was fresh, but even now it's just a couple of months old and I couldn't really taste it at all. Still, it's a good beer at a decent price point.
Bruery Smoking Wood has moved away from being overtly bacony. It's still decently smoky, but the rye pepperiness is very forward right now. I liked it a lot, and so did the wine-loving contingent at the party. It's far from the best Bruery thing, but it's easier to get than some of it and worth seeking out.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

yeah, they do. i mean, how much BCBS talk has been going on here recently? Parabola, the anniversary beer, and Abacus were things i could find on shelves for a week last year but were gone the day they were delivered this year.

bartolimu posted:

One of my friends had been to VA earlier in the week and she brought back a Blue Mountain Brewery Dark Hollow, a barrel aged imperial stout. It was very good, but probably suffered from being tasted right after a 2011 Serpent Stout (which was loving awesome).

the stuff from their new Barrel House pales in comparison to the previous, very limited batches of this beer. hopefully it's because they're still adjusting to their new facility rather than a change in recipe. also heard about off-flavors and gushing bottles, glad to hear you didn't have that problem.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

bartolimu posted:

Enthusiasm for Firestone Walker stuff is like their label art: understated, but appropriate for the quality of their product. I squee a little when I see new FW stuff on shelves, and I frequently miss out on things like Parabola because they get pre-reserved and picked up super early by beer nerds with more time and money than I have. They may be the only brewery I trust implicitly; no matter what they put out, if it has their name on the label I'm going to buy it and it's going to be good. They do not make beers that suck.

Good points I can agree with.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Has anyone gone to the GABF "members only" session in the last year or two? How retarded are the lines to get into that session? I'm just trying to figure out if I want to be at the doors like 1 hour early or 3 (:ohdear:) so as not to waste half of the session standing around outside instead of gettin' tore up. Part of the selling point is shorter lines but I'm not sure how much shorter.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Docjowles posted:

Has anyone gone to the GABF "members only" session in the last year or two? How retarded are the lines to get into that session? I'm just trying to figure out if I want to be at the doors like 1 hour early or 3 (:ohdear:) so as not to waste half of the session standing around outside instead of gettin' tore up. Part of the selling point is shorter lines but I'm not sure how much shorter.

This doesn't even sound fun, it sounds stupid and stressful. To each their own, I guess. poo poo like that is why I don't go to the state fair...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

global tetrahedron posted:

This doesn't even sound fun, it sounds stupid and stressful. To each their own, I guess. poo poo like that is why I don't go to the state fair...

I have a feeling this will be the only year I actually attend GABF as opposed to just going to the 1823716237 tappings and events surrounding it. But it's a bucket list thing I've wanted to do at least once for a long time. Hoping the members only session is less retardedly crowded than the main ones.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

funkybottoms posted:

the stuff from their new Barrel House pales in comparison to the previous, very limited batches of this beer. hopefully it's because they're still adjusting to their new facility rather than a change in recipe. also heard about off-flavors and gushing bottles, glad to hear you didn't have that problem.

Sadly agree here. Dark Hollow was amazing before.

Docjowles posted:

I went to the members session last year and lines generally arent that bad with the exception of the big names like CCB, New Glarus, Three Floyds, etc.

I saw the regular crowd coming in and I feared for the beer nerds there due to the crazies coming in.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

You really didn't branch out much beyond Widmer? In Portland?

I really didn't get a chance to branch out mainly because of the fact that we were only Portland for a day before heading up to Tacoma to visit friends and then back down the a small town outside of Portland for a birthday party. Next time I'm going to go Rouge crazy.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

screenwritersblues posted:

Next time I'm going to go Rouge crazy.

Why?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

I really didn't get a chance to branch out mainly because of the fact that we were only Portland for a day before heading up to Tacoma to visit friends and then back down the a small town outside of Portland for a birthday party. Next time I'm going to go Rouge crazy.

:what:

I know to each their own, but you go from Widmer to Rouge? Yeah, their beer cheese soup is pretty good, but if you're in Portland, why not try some of the amazing brew pubs they got? Lucky Labrador, Hub.

Hell, I would go to McMenamins' many locations - especially the Kennedy school, long before I fall back on going to Rouge.

It's Portland. Throw a stone and you'll hit a brewpub that will be better than Widmer or Rouge.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm going to reiterate what others have said, or their sentiments, and say avoid Rogue. They are another mediocre brewery that has enough red x's in their past to say gently caress them.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Has anyone heard anything concrete about the 2012 batch of The Dissident? I've been searching for any year of that beer for quite a while and I was afraid I missed this year, but I read something indicating it was just shipped out to distributors.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I really like estery beers but somehow Rogue's pacman yeast manages to generate every ester I don't actually like.

The real reason not to drink Rogue in Portland is there are so many other awesome beers with far narrower distribution. Rogue is only really behind Sierra Nevada in their its-loving-everywhere-ness.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I am splitting a Creme Brulee stout from Southern Tier with my girlfriend, it smells super loving sweet with lots of vanilla and caramel, but it definitely smells sweeter than it tastes. It's a sweet beer, but I think they encapsulated the flavor of Creme Brulee in this.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

I think they encapsulated the flavor of Creme Brulee in this.

You could say they did the same thing with Pumking and pumpkin pie!

In the middle of my drive back and I've hit two world class bottle shops in two days. Strongly recommend Sam's Quik Stop in Durham, NC and Hop City in Atlanta, GA if you're ever in those areas. Scored a ton of great stuff like an 07 Bon Chien, 07 Boon Geuze Mariage Parfait, and some bottles from Quebec and NZ I'd never seen elsewhere.

Now "unwinding" at Brick Store Pub in Decatur. Also must stop if here. They have quite a finely curated draft list despite having only 17 beers. Basically every beer is either the gold standard or a good example of a given style (Two Hearted, Weihenstephaner Hef, Saison Dupont, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Victory Fest and Ayinger Oktoberfest). Then there's various seasonal or rare/obscure taps (Autumn Maple, Terrapin/BFM collab, a tripel and a quad I'd never seen on draft). So stoked over Avenue Pub when I get to New Orleans tomorrow.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
My wife was kind enough to bring home a growler of Vampire from Tired Hands. Folks, if you're anywhere near the SEPA region, you gotta go to Tired Hands.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

My wife was kind enough to bring home a growler of Vampire from Tired Hands. Folks, if you're anywhere near the SEPA region, you gotta go to Tired Hands.

SEPA meaning South Eastern PA? I should find a place to find this.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Midorka posted:

SEPA meaning South Eastern PA? I should find a place to find this.

Only at the cafe in Ardmore. Go. You won't be disappointed.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

cryme posted:

Only at the cafe in Ardmore. Go. You won't be disappointed.

Been to Tired Hands a few times and have walked away impressed each and every time. The one downside to them is that, besides their two 'house' beers, they (so far) haven't brewed the same beer twice. Kind of sucks if you live far away and miss something they just kicked.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Framboise? For a cure you say? And there are only 6 left this year? Well I better buy 2 then!

No doubt the bad luck gods will destroy them in the beer package home I need to send myself.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

WaffleStomp posted:

Been to Tired Hands a few times and have walked away impressed each and every time. The one downside to them is that, besides their two 'house' beers, they (so far) haven't brewed the same beer twice. Kind of sucks if you live far away and miss something they just kicked.

But the upside is there's always something new on. I'm really impressed how the keep making new beers and they keep being so good.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Hey SUPER HASSLER, go drink the Crux Fermentation Project Fresh Hop Crystal Zwickle if you can find it. I was at the Hood River Hop Fest last weekend and the Portland Fresh Hop Festival this weekend and it was far and away the best fresh hop beer I've had this year.

How was that festival anyway? I gotta go up to ol' Hood River sometime.

The Crystal Zwickle has been rad indeed. It's still too early to say much about the Crux since they opened just in June but everything I've had from there is pretty fantastic. They've got something like 14 beers at their house, too, of which the Weizenbock is my current favorite.

The Washington Post did a travel feature article about Bend the other day and they spent like a quarter of it talking about the Crux.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...7738_story.html

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Local bar went a bit stout crazy last night for GABF week. Had small pours of all of the standard Great Divide Yeti variants (no whiskey barrel :(). I can never pick between Belgian and Chocolate Oak Aged for my favorite, they're both very different and both so good. Belgian mellows and sweetens what's a pretty bold base beer, while Chocolate doubles down and goes even bigger and more tannic. Straight oak aged is too much IMO, it needs the chocolate to soften the edges just a bit.

Then I splurged on Uncle Jacob, a hilarious 17.5% stout from Avery. This... is a crazy rear end beer. I got huge coconut character right up front, and all sorts of other notes as it warmed up. Cocoa, vanilla, oak tannins, coffee. The alcohol is very well hidden. You can tell it's a monster beer but you don't get any of that awful rocket fuel flavor you'd find in lovely homebrew. It's also quite rich and sweet, as you might expect. It was enjoyable and definitely unique, but I'm glad I split even the tiny snifter with my wife because it's a lot to handle.

They also had a "one year aged imperial pumpkin porter" from Epic brewing. Never had that beer fresh so I dunno what it was supposed to taste like, but it in no way resembled a pumpkin beer or a porter (other than color). It just had this giant flowery aroma and flavor and a firm bitterness, and nothing else. It was like some kind of noble hopped IPA. If it hadn't been very dark I would have sent it back as being the wrong beer. I'm guessing whatever spice and pumpkin used to be there totally dropped out over the last year. I'm a little annoyed they even put the beer on, it's pretty hosed up tasting and not at all as advertised.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

WaffleStomp posted:

It's a double edged sword. Always something new to try, always something you'll never have. I'm trying to make at least a bi-monthly visit.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

cryme posted:

It's a double edged sword. Always something new to try, always something you'll never have. I'm trying to make at least a bi-monthly visit.

Completely agree. I had dropped by the first day they tapped Brothers, their excellent berliner weisse, yet now I hear all these great things about Vampire and I know I won't be able to stop in before it's kicked.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

WaffleStomp posted:

Completely agree. I had dropped by the first day they tapped Brothers, their excellent berliner weisse, yet now I hear all these great things about Vampire and I know I won't be able to stop in before it's kicked.

It's probably gone now. My wife said it wasn't pouring well when she got it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Has anybody tried any Belgian lambics that have been aged for an extended period of time? I'm just curious how they compare to a fresh lambic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Ubik posted:

What the hell, when did you and I become neighbors? I'm in an apartment on Pratt as well.

I moved from Edgewater to Rogers Park last month. I bought a house on Wayne. Where on Pratt do you live?

Beer talk - 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes is pretty delicious, but nothing like a Belgian Saison. Super FFF hoppy.