Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
i work at andreessen horowitz, i'll throw this up the ladder and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > post the most worthless kickstarters and greatest investor rewards you got

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Ian McLean posted:

So... do you guys actually think I might have a shot if I ramp up this profile and seriously put some effort into it? https://angel.co/statpedia

lol yeah the low effort profile was your problem, def

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ian, buddy, pal

i literally just read all your posts in this thread

i don't think you understand this forum in the slightest.

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

JosephStalinVEVO posted:

i work at andreessen horowitz, i'll throw this up the ladder and see what happens

Wow. Thank you so much.

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
ian i will work for free, please assign me a task

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
im sad eeen went int ocomputers instead of finance bc i would have loved to eat him alive and take all his and his family's money some day

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

got dat wmd posted:

im sad eeen went int ocomputers instead of finance bc i would have loved to eat him alive and take all his and his family's money some day

maybe when he pulls another 180 and does a phd in finance (you can do that right) you'll get your chance

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

Guido van Possum posted:

ian i will work for free, please assign me a task

Okay. What is your email? Mine is ian@statpedia.com I can get you in touch with the other developers.

Right now the main priorities is using something like python beautiful soup html parcer to drag any object from a website into the search display preview box. Then when they click on the object within search display they are directed to the webpage.

There are also lots of tiny bugs in the table creator, and also figuring out how to sync in some functionality for uploading, excel/google doc sheets like the stuff within openheatmap

I contacted stattransfer about using their program on statpedia, and they said no at the moment.

JawnV6's comments on the election polling stuff is something that could also be done.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
i'm gonna assume you're genuine even though i think you're not so i only have one question a single question for you mr. mclean

how on earth did you find this specific thread

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you mean you dont gis urself to j/o?

cospop probably piqued his curiosity

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ian McLean posted:

So... do you guys actually think I might have a shot if I ramp up this profile and seriously put some effort into it? https://angel.co/statpedia

no, because your silly website is a stupid idea to begin with

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Ian McLean posted:

Wow. Thank you so much.

welp, i just got fired. i showed your prospectus to marc and he fired me on the spot, told me to clear my poo poo out immediately. then as i was cleaning out my desk, he stood on a desk and shouted to the entire office that if anyone, ANYONE, ever brought him such a stupid idea again, he'd fire their entire team.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
jesus christ ian how many lives is statpedia going to ruin before you shut it down

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Ian McLean posted:

I was there in 2008.

yeah that coincides. curious though, i didnt think kings offered single-year exchanges for visiting students at UG level. how did u enjoy your tripos

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Ian McLean posted:

100% serious: in order to get interest on angel.co you would need to put substantially more into your pitch than you did for kickstarter. you would need to address the question i asked earlier, "what is the point of statpedia?" ie why does the average user care about it? if you're asking rich ppl to give you millions of dollars they will also want to know how you plan to eventually make money off your idea, bc they are betting on long-shots, not on ideas with 0% chance of ever making them money off their investment. you might also want to explain how you can possibly compete with larger, more established players like google or wolfram, bc if a "statpedia" type service became profitable, you can bet other people would be trying to copy your idea, and a lot of them will have enough experience and resources to do it far better than you, and in far less time than you. if you don't have some patent or special secret algorithm or some other specialized capability that protects your business model, you will be steamrolled by someone larger as soon as your site takes off. finally, you would need to demonstrate some track record of success, bc having a good idea is not the same as being able to execute it. having taken courses at UC Irvine is, sadly, not enough to demonstrate that you can successfully build and run a business, not even a bullshit web 2.0 business.

to be 100% honest i don't think you can do any of the things i listed above. at best you might find some experienced dude on that site willing to give you some pointers to improve your game, but judging by your response to criticism in this thread, that would be a waste of time as well.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Ian McLean posted:

Okay. What is your email? Mine is ian@statpedia.com I can get you in touch with the other developers.

Right now the main priorities is using something like python beautiful soup html parcer to drag any object from a website into the search display preview box. Then when they click on the object within search display they are directed to the webpage.

There are also lots of tiny bugs in the table creator, and also figuring out how to sync in some functionality for uploading, excel/google doc sheets like the stuff within openheatmap

I contacted stattransfer about using their program on statpedia, and they said no at the moment.

JawnV6's comments on the election polling stuff is something that could also be done.

:allears:

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Ian can you employ me, I can clean pretty good with a mop

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Milkie Galore posted:

yeah that coincides. curious though, i didnt think kings offered single-year exchanges for visiting students at UG level. how did u enjoy your tripos

oxford is poo poo

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
ian please stop posting you are an embarassment to our alma mater (UCI)

you are The Worst Anteater

e: Also if you gave a poo poo about this during undergrad you would have participated in the god drat business plan competition we have here which hooks you up with angel investors so you don't have to be a gross internet hobo.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 9, 2012

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

There's a statistic I want to know, can you look into putting it on statpedia Ian. What proportion of idea men with no experience and no relevant skills profit from their idea? For extra credit, the proportion who make more money than if they'd spent their genius time at Taco Bell instead of having ideas.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what will statpedia do that gapminder isn't already on

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ian, who do you think is going to use statpedia? because academics aren't going to touch it with a bargepole. so you're basically aiming at lazy journalists, and people who need one more useless "fact" to pad out their latest tedious fwd: fwd: fwd: email

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

There's a statistic I want to know, can you look into putting it on statpedia Ian. What proportion of idea men with no experience and no relevant skills profit from their idea? For extra credit, the proportion who make more money than if they'd spent their genius time at Taco Bell instead of having ideas.

taco bell idea guy

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

tef posted:

oxford is poo poo

im posting with a purpose here tef

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ian McLean posted:

uhh... no

people were goddamn nuts about polls 1-3 weeks ago. it was seriously the focus of an entire news cycle, and you could've positioned yourself fantastically for armchair wonks who fantasize about being nate silver had you set it up then

buuuuuut you didn't. why not, idk, but you didn't. the debate happened, everyone moved on from unskewed polls, and while there's a smidge of interesting polls coming out, it's basically the media being lovely and doing whatever they can to paint it as a dead heat by doing nationwide polls with RV's instead of likely voter models and hiding their crosstabs

so just to reiterate, your window for doing this closed and won't be open for another 4 years. can you get it done in 4 years?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.
ian why does your profile say "studied at UCI" when you're like 4 weeks into the first quarter? those are misleading and deceptive business practices dawg

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Milkie Galore posted:

im posting with a purpose here tef

sorry man :shobon:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
im not racist or anything, but what's Ians deal?

i mean, let's be honest with ourselves here.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

gross internet hobo

mods, etc.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

JawnV6 posted:

jesus christ ian how many lives is statpedia going to ruin before you shut it down

Ian, we are suffering as dogs

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ian why don't you just apply to a ycombinator

also lol rufo you were in middle school or something in 2008 don't act

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything
I don't like that image. Please take it down. I create flavor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Resplendent Spiral posted:

what will statpedia do that gapminder isn't already on

Lol I was waiting for this

Ian McLean
Sep 9, 2012

statpedia.org
Post Stats on Anything

ZYNGA FLAVOR SAVER posted:

also cold fusion is impossible get the love out

I don't know.... who's going to debunk that video...?

On ycombinator. Updating profile.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

i have to believe this is a troll but if not, please share this important crank video with your physics professors ASAP so they know exactly how retarded you are and don't feel bad when they inevitably fail you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that guy really *slurp* smacks his lips *slup* a lot *phthalp* while talking *blorphsh*

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
Ian, you should get in touch with consultant and forums poster barbarianbob, we've all seen the really good work he does optimizing web-facing data services like yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

Ian McLean posted:

I don't like that image. Please take it down. I create flavor.

what kind of flavor do you create

• Locked thread