Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

MockingQuantum posted:

Would anybody find a live audio/mixing thread useful? I didn't see one anywhere in ML, and while I've considered just posting one and seeing what happens, I'd like to do something pretty comprehensive, and I'd rather not sink a ton of time into it if nobody would use it.

I certainly would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

cactuscarpet posted:

As for my own small question, somewhat obliquely related: I've never managed to get into Pink Floyd, though part of me knows that it's an essential part of last century's musical history. However, it seems all I've heard of them are endless delay-saturated jams and plodding, soft-focus ballads. What should I listen to to change my mind?

Pink Floyd's output varies greatly; if you pick a random album you really don't know what you're going to get. Honestly, their music became much more interesting to me once I knew the history of it all, but it's not necessary.

Short answer: I'd give Dark Side of the Moon a spin. The entire album, it was designed to be listened to all at once. Not much of it is very fast paced, but it's very moody and atmospheric. It's one of their major turning points.
If you want something with more edge, try The Wall (my entry point to the band); something a little more classic, try Animals, or Wish You Were Here.

Long answer: Their first few albums have what you describe- long drawn out jams, psychadelic experiments with a bit of british pop thrown in. This includes Piper, Saucerful, Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle. Then came Dark Side, described above. After that, their music was a bit more serious, better produced, and all the albums became centered around a theme, to the point where The Wall was an entire two album set dedicated to telling a story. I would say that Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are "classic" Floyd. Around this time though, band members starting seeing things differently and The Wall was almost entirely written by one member in the band. The album after that, Final Cut, was written entirely by that same person, after which he (Roger Waters) left the band. The two albums under the Pink Floyd name that came after that, Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, sound very different again (in my opinion, stale and not very good, but many would disagree with me).

It seems with PF that one album will click with you, and once it does the others become much more interesting.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pink Floyd never made sense until I was under the influence of mind altering substance then I "got" it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you ever have the chance to go to a Pink Floyd laser show, do it. The museum in my city does The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon in their planetarium a couple times a year and it's awesome.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anybody familiar with the Presonus Audiobox USB interface? I'm trying to figure out whether it's possible to disengage the internal preamps, in case I want to pick up an external preamp of some type in the future.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Does anyone have access to the Melodyne plugin? I have a guitar part that has a G string that's WAY out, about a quarter step. The rest of the take is good but it's just that one loving string that's driving us crazy. either PM or email me if you do have access, we can barter for payment.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
^^^PMed.

Oh, and you can send the part to themysterydate at gmail dot com.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

MockingQuantum posted:

Anybody familiar with the Presonus Audiobox USB interface? I'm trying to figure out whether it's possible to disengage the internal preamps, in case I want to pick up an external preamp of some type in the future.
It doesn't look like it. You will want an interface that has a line level input.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hogscraper posted:

It doesn't look like it. You will want an interface that has a line level input.

Any recommendations? I've only really dealt with Presonus and M-Audio.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anybody know of a good cheap microphone for basic recording? I need something to use for some piano pieces.

edit--just saw the faq on mics. all the mics listed in there are a bit above my price range. i'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $20-30, quality isn't a big issue--I just want the next step up from a headset mic.

Captain Payne fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 9, 2012

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Captain Payne posted:

Does anybody know of a good cheap microphone for basic recording? I need something to use for some piano pieces.

edit--just saw the faq on mics. all the mics listed in there are a bit above my price range. i'm looking for something in the neighborhood of $20-30, quality isn't a big issue--I just want the next step up from a headset mic.

The Behringer XM8500 is a surprisingly good microphone for the money and it fits neatly into your price bracket, but it has an XLR connector and if you are using a headset mic then it doesn't seem likely you will have a dedicated audio interface, I assume you are just using your onboard mic port?. You could use an XLR to 1/4" cable and then use a reducer to bring it down to a 3.5mm connector so you can use it as line-in but this will be a pretty bulky connection and may damage your input port, also I don't know if there will be any audio quality decrease doing this but it would still be leagues ahead of a headset mic.

Another option would be a Guitar Hero or Rock Band wired USB microphone, there's bound to be tons of them flooding Gamestop and EB Games etc since the popularity of those games has dropped dramatically in the last couple of years. Definitely not going to be the best sound you can achieve but again will be better than a headset mic and the USB connection will allow you to skip any mic/line in ports and just record direct.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Captain Payne posted:

Option 1) http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=13067513&sr=1&origkw=microphone

Option 2) a USB mic like a Samson Go, which pushes your budget a little bit (they sell for $40) but is likely to offer dramatically better sound quality than option 1.

The problem with using an XLR mic and an adapter to step it down to 3.5mm is that XLR mics sound pretty terrible without a proper preamp.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Has anybody had any experience with MacProVideos.com for audio software tutorials? I've got some time to kill on a business trip and I'm willing to shell out cash for the Native Instruments and ProTools stuff if it's worth it.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I'm trying to make a studio track of the beginning of the live version of "Buck Dich" by Rammstein, because I love it so much.

The show and clip I'm referencing are here, but I've been trying for literally hours to get the drum beat right (The one that starts at 0:29). It's so fast and seemingly complex, I just can't figure it out. I've tried slowing it down, but that hasn't helped much either.

Can anyone provide some insight? I'm tearing my hair out.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Griff M. posted:

I'm trying to make a studio track of the beginning of the live version of "Buck Dich" by Rammstein, because I love it so much.

I loving love that section too, wish more bands would brave the Jungle!

I can't remember the name of that particular breakbeat, but it's not as hard to replicate as it seems. There's only a few hits being used, it's the reordering that makes it sound so complex.

Think of it as being four component sounds: Kick, Snare, Hat and Semi Snare (the lighter hits that give it the pace).

Set your tempo to somewhere around 170BPM. Kicks and Snares will only go on 8ths within the bar, whereas the Hat and Semi Snare will generally be in a pair on 16th notes, so here's a basic break in the tradition of the Amen (which are the drum sounds I am using)

Then it's a case of moving the sections about to create variations such as

or

Notice how the Kicks and Snares stay fairly rigid, and it's the combo of the Hat/Semi that gives it that breakneck tempo.
If you want to get that EXACT sequence, I'd suggest youtube-to-mp3ing it, loading it into your DAW on an audio track (just trim it to the break part) then go through it in one or two bar sections matching up the hits. Once you get into the groove of it, you will be done really quickly.

Once you've got the basic sequence, you can then add in those periodic sub booms and cymbal crashes. I find hand stitching breaks so much more rewarding than using, say, a beat repeat and hoping for the best as you have absolute control.

Hope this helps!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Holy loving poo poo that's amazing, man. As soon as I get home I'm gonna get to work on this.

You are a godsend!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Glad to be of assistance! It's always nice to have a different take on a break that you can call your own. If I can remember the name of the actual break Kruspe is using, I'll let you know- it should be pretty easy to track down though, it's a common one. Look for 'classic breaks' type packs online to find other beats to play with too.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Are the guitars at guitarfetish.com any good? Their hollowbodies look pretty nice but I haven't found any reviews for them as yet.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I can report on the hollows: Friend got one of the gretch-alikes when they were closing out the model with the not-Bigsby. It's not a gretsch, but it's close enough for rock. He has no complaints, especially for the price. Frets on that model were filed down. Did need a full setup.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

I can report on the hollows: Friend got one of the gretch-alikes when they were closing out the model with the not-Bigsby. It's not a gretsch, but it's close enough for rock. He has no complaints, especially for the price. Frets on that model were filed down. Did need a full setup.

Ok, did figure they might need a full setup, but it's good to know there were no wretched defects or anything. Thanks for the info!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My bandmates wanted to pose this question, re: band naming. We had settled on one, then someone did some digging and found a small band with the same name from the '90s that had a CD release from Columbia and a later CD from 2003 under their own independent release, and like five other bands on Reverbnation with the same name across the US.

I guess the question is, should we care?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Revvik posted:

My bandmates wanted to pose this question, re: band naming. We had settled on one, then someone did some digging and found a small band with the same name from the '90s that had a CD release from Columbia and a later CD from 2003 under their own independent release, and like five other bands on Reverbnation with the same name across the US.

No. If it becomes a problem later (like, if you get famous or something) then you can add a number to your name a-la blink182.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Revvik posted:

Yes. There are enough good potential band names to go around that there's no reason to use one that's already in use. Best case, you might confuse your potential fans, and you'll miss out on a chance to stand out. If somebody looks for your band on google, there should be no question about who's who. Even if there's no legal/trademark conflict (which do happen), it looks sort of half-assed. This is especially true if one of the other same-named bands blows up and gets popular a year or two from now.

h_double fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 13, 2012

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I've got an Ibanez Artcore AG75 coming to me soon. I had heard was that they feed back like motherfuckers, so is it a bad idea to swap out the pickups for the Seymour Duncan SH-2/SH-4 combination?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Is it possible to buy a copy of ProTools used without running into license and legal issues? Or is it a one end user type license?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I have an old bass amp I'm going to sell. The sounds sorta cuts out sometimes while playing. I think the input jack connections just need to be resoldered. How much does that sort of repair usually run?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I've rigged up a hobo-engineered harness for the clarinet so I can sling it behind my back and switch to the sax (which has a proper neckstrap) and go back and forth between them when I'm walking around the house practising. However I've just got ahold of a flute and while I can't play it for poo poo just yet, I was wondering how I could secure that to my body so I could switch to that if needed. I'm thinking of rigging up a holster to my leg for the melodica, but right now I'm researching ways to carry the flute and have it easily available without doing anything to damage it. Should I use more lithium?

Edit: It's kind of for practice/busking purposes as if I'm playing in a public area I don't want to leave anything lying around when I'm concentrating on playing, and if I'm wandering around the house just doing my thing it's nice to have things in grabbing range.

Excavation fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 30, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I recently came into possession of an old Marshall 4x12 cab that's had a bunch of stupid stuff drawn all over it with markers, including the front grill. I was planning to just take some black spraypaint to the whole thing, will I mess up the speakers if I spray the grill?

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Bruce Boxliker posted:

I recently came into possession of an old Marshall 4x12 cab that's had a bunch of stupid stuff drawn all over it with markers, including the front grill. I was planning to just take some black spraypaint to the whole thing, will I mess up the speakers if I spray the grill?

It doesn't come off?

revolther
May 27, 2008
It's better to always take the screen off. I've got an awesome Peavey tube combo from the 90s with phenomenal rock tone, that rarely gets used because as a punk teen I spraypainted "WHORES" on the unmovable metal speaker grill. It's been spray painted over a million times since, but I can still read it finely along the speaker somehow.

Depending on the age it's possibly got valuable Celestions in it. I don't know about the health of electronics, but I say preserve those speakers since it shouldn't be hard to anyways.

Use a putty knife or a pick to get the "Marshall" off (mine was only secured by a few pegs aligned along the back middle of the logo}, then go around the edges and gently pry the screen frame loose. You may be able to just give the gold border "cord" a little tug and have the whole frame slide out, if not, just baby it prying with your putty knife/pick until the frame comes out.

revolther fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 3, 2012

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Cross-posting from the guitar thread:

Can anyone recommend a good way to adapt a guitar to be a midi controller? I've been looking at this:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-GK-3-Guitar-Pickup-102553021-i1153879.gc

but I'm curious how well they work/how responsive they are.

Thoughts?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anybody have earplug recommendations? I'm thinking just a 200 pack of the foam ones is the best option, but if anyone has opinions on any pair of nicer ones or any recommendations I'd appreciate them.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I take a set of Hearos to every concert/club/loud venue and they have paid for themselves a dozen times over. Are you wanting the plugs for music purposes? If so then the little foam ones will be pretty terrible but still better than permanent hearing damage.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody have earplug recommendations? I'm thinking just a 200 pack of the foam ones is the best option, but if anyone has opinions on any pair of nicer ones or any recommendations I'd appreciate them.

I use these at band practice and shows (playing and watching) and have no complaints. They don't sound quite as muffled as the foam ones.

SoyPancho
Oct 4, 2004
TOO FUCKING LAZY TO CHOOSE MY OWN CUSTOM TITLE

MockingQuantum posted:

Is it possible to buy a copy of ProTools used without running into license and legal issues? Or is it a one end user type license?

Here's the skinny from Avid's website on transfer of ownership- http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio

In other words, make sure the seller will be willing to jump through some hoops and clearly states that in the ad. Non-Avid plugins can be transferred on the iLok website for $25 per plug. Towards the end of a versions life cycle (11 could be VERY close) it seems you can find a brand new full version for around $300 anyway on ebay so it might be worth it to save the hassle.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

SoyPancho posted:

Here's the skinny from Avid's website on transfer of ownership- http://www.avid.com/US/support/transfer/audio

In other words, make sure the seller will be willing to jump through some hoops and clearly states that in the ad. Non-Avid plugins can be transferred on the iLok website for $25 per plug. Towards the end of a versions life cycle (11 could be VERY close) it seems you can find a brand new full version for around $300 anyway on ebay so it might be worth it to save the hassle.

I wasn't aware of that last bit-- if that's the case I'll just hang out until I can get 10 on the cheap. Thanks for the info.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The Bunk posted:

I use these at band practice and shows (playing and watching) and have no complaints. They don't sound quite as muffled as the foam ones.

Vater (a drum accessory company) also has similar earplugs for about $18 a pair. One pair has lasted me about 6 months, and they similarly are way less muffled in response. I use them when I mix, and they've been life savers in some situations.

Fake edit: sorry for the double-post.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Anyone here tried any Dava picks?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The Dava Grip Tips are probably my second favourite plectrum, the rubber coating is wonderfully non-slip and you can adjust the flexibility of the pick depending on where you hold it. I bought a couple of Rock Control picks also but don't really like them, the plastic is too smooth to stay in your fingers and the ridges are hard and sharp, really need to squeeze into the tread to get it to stay still.

My current go-to is the Awe-in-One Rock Vibes, very versatile picks and tremendous grip, I've never had one slip out of place. I had a boner for V-Picks at one point but ultimately they weren't as grippy as I need so I went back to the Awe-in-Ones and there I have stayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lilf
Aug 12, 2007

by exmarx
So it's time to replace the power-tubes in my Randall. Cash is short so I pulled two of the tubes (one of them having failed) and using it as a 50w for the time being. I'm seriously debating putting KT66's or KT88's in lieu of the 6L6's I have in there at the moment.

What I want to know is this; I play metal, the 6L6 break up at a relavitely moderate volume. I hear KT66's aren't disimilar but definitely up how loud the amp is while 88's break up supposedly break up at a higher range but are excellent on midtone. Would this mean I'd have to crank my amp up more to get them break up? Keep in my mind that I only run the amps distortion and no overdrive pedals at all (the amp has balls enough). Anything else I should know about making such a switch?