Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I see no reason to demolish the most centrally located, best connected and largest station in Opiantic just to build another one across the river. Merely build a rail connection across the river south of the city (for those peasants riding that upstart line), a road bridge just south of the current station on the west side and another road bridge north of the existing rail bridge.

Like so:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm thinking that a main station common to both cities might work out. It would probably have to be south of the river.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
Keep in mind, because of the disconnected rails in New Dublin, the Opiantic - Boltic corridor is now the primary trunk line between New Cork Winchester, and Salvation.

:twisted:

Edit: vvvv what are you talking about? How is any traffic going to get to salvation from hartshire or New Cork without using that corridor. True it has to travel 4 different railroads but maybe that's something a wealthy New Cork banker can do something about in the future.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 9, 2012

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Except from New Dublin you aren't even connected to Wincestor or Salvation without going to Middleport and turning around? And anything going to Wincestor or Salvation from New Cork has to take the route north of the river to Opiantic and follow the New Dublin-Salvation line the rest of the way anyway? :confused: (Or take the line far north through Chenchester)

I just checked and there was already an agreement to connect NDS to K&W in Killingham and NDS to NCL in New Dublin. I guess it got lost somewhere along the way? Could we get that added in at some point?

Edit: ^^^To Wincestor, they'd probably go via HWFR through Chenchester (especially after the changes to Hartshire). To Salvation, yes, they'd probably take your mad scribbles through Boltic via the ex-OPAL line. But I don't mind, because I own the track to Salvation and I have a stake in the line to Wincestor :chord:

Basically if you're going west, I own you :unsmigghh:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 9, 2012

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cichlidae posted:

OBJECTIVES

1) Improve cross-river road access in Opiantic
2) Build infrastructure for rapid expansion in the southwest of Opiantic, as the land is much flatter there and ripe for investment
3) (Optional) Stake out a park for the two cities

Get to work! For the Nation!

Time for a takeover. Twin cities are for wusses! Just glue them together like Budapest and call it a day.

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004

ZombieApostate posted:

Except from New Dublin you aren't even connected to Wincestor or Salvation without going to Middleport and turning around? And anything going to Wincestor or Salvation from New Cork has to take the route north of the river to Opiantic and follow the New Dublin-Salvation line the rest of the way anyway? :confused: (Or take the line far north through Chenchester)

I just checked and there was already an agreement to connect NDS to K&W in Killingham and NDS to NCL in New Dublin. I guess it got lost somewhere along the way? Could we get that added in at some point?

Edit: ^^^To Wincestor, they'd probably go via HWFR through Chenchester (especially after the changes to Hartshire). To Salvation, yes, they'd probably take your mad scribbles through Boltic via the ex-OPAL line. But I don't mind, because I own the track to Salvation and I have a stake in the line to Wincestor :chord:

Basically if you're going west, I own you :unsmigghh:

You can sell out and join the impending NCNS&S-GNU merger for historical accuracy. I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen anyway. The north side of the river looks tricky but dynamite is about to be invented.

In more relevant talk, I could see a another southern road to access the farms south of the river would be useful. It would also drive development into the flatter terrain.

Edit: if that's the case, the Salvation businessmen who own the NCNS&S approach a group of New Cork bankers, among them a young man with a hosed up nose named J.P Martin about the prospect of building a second rail line up the Opiantic Valley in the next decade.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 9, 2012

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Never! I'd rather leave your freight on the platform! We'll see how long you last when you can't deliver anything! :hist101:

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Oh boy, this is more interesting than I'd hoped! :D

Don't make the President step in and sort things out; he can be testy when he's mad.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not seeing how you can't just jump across the river west of Boltic, use the Opiantic station on the east side of the river, then head across the river and make connections north and south. Then there's plenty of room for more road bridges.

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

You can sell out and join the impending NCNS&S-GNU merger for historical accuracy. I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen anyway.

Resistance is futile :unsmigghh:

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

ZombieApostate posted:

I see no reason to demolish the most centrally located, best connected and largest station in Opiantic just to build another one across the river.

It's a grand experiment in planned development, by which I mean laying down roads and hoping that people move there. We'll be like one hundred years ahead of the curve on this! :downs:

ZombieApostate posted:

As the person in charge of the K&W and the NCL, I too am curious about the disconnects. Perhaps Cichildae left them out to ensure that New Dublin and Killingham would be options for cities to fix?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

It's a grand experiment in planned development, by which I mean laying down roads and hoping that people move there. We'll be like one hundred years ahead of the curve on this! :downs:

As the person in charge of the K&W and the NCL, I too am curious about the disconnects. Perhaps Cichildae left them out to ensure that New Dublin and Killingham would be options for cities to fix?

Naw, I'm not that mean. I made the revisions, and they'll show up in the 1870 update (which should be tonight or tomorrow, provided you guys come up with something resembling a consensus about Opiantic-Boltic).

Ron Pauls Friend
Jul 3, 2004
My computer with paint.net is down. But I can tell you a road along the Southern bank of the Boltic river as well as a road inland to serve ag interests in the area is essential.

Also extend the industrial lead along the east bank up to killingham and Salvation and build a bridge slightly east of Opiantic to link the two and establish a second mainline in the Opiantic Valley. Salvation merchants are tired of the NDS high prices and the fact they can't even ship to Hartshire quickly. Abandon the station on the northside of the river to save costs and speed up throughput.

Edit: Listen to this man! In a time of war, when the fate of the Republic is on the line, he deliberately blocks needed supplies and troops crossing the great state of Nutmeg, all because of a petty business dispute. This is exactly the reason why a true mainline across this state and New England is required, one that is not controlled by a vainglorious madman who would spite his own country to keep his petty monopoly's stranglehold on Western Nutmeg's commerce.

Ron Pauls Friend fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 10, 2012

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

This man would have you pay, at great expense, to build a redundant rail system merely to line his own pockets. In fact, most of his rail lines serve no legitimate purpose at all and are clearly the work of a man sampling his own wares a bit too heavily. He should be content with his Boltic-Middleport line, add a connector along the river north of Big Bend if he must, and abandon his Johnny-come-lately Ouroboros lines to nowhere east of Norham and south of Opiantic entirely. Leave the labors of honest work transporting goods to the north and west to the established and trusted rail company NDS.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Does there really need to be a rail line on the north side of the river? I'm not sure.

ZombieApostate posted:

This man would have you pay, at great expense, to build a redundant rail system merely to line his own pockets. In fact, most of his rail lines serve no legitimate purpose at all and are clearly the work of a man sampling his own wares a bit too heavily. He should be content with his Boltic-Middleport line, add a connector along the river north of Big Bend if he must, and abandon his Johnny-come-lately Ouroboros lines to nowhere east of Norham and south of Opiantic entirely. Leave the labors of honest work transporting goods to the north and west to the established and trusted rail company NDS.

This is the best.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Ah, Philly, class as always. For a while drainage grates have been disappearing from I-95, they bring a bit of money if you sell them to a I-didn't-see-anything scrap dealer but now there's a honking big hole in the road. At least 60 of these things have been stolen.

They caught some of the thieves today: PennDOT contractors.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/10/09/suspects-arrested-in-connection-with-grate-thefts-along-interstate-95/

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Phanatic posted:

Ah, Philly, class as always. For a while drainage grates have been disappearing from I-95, they bring a bit of money if you sell them to a I-didn't-see-anything scrap dealer but now there's a honking big hole in the road. At least 60 of these things have been stolen.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/10/09/suspects-arrested-in-connection-with-grate-thefts-along-interstate-95/

I'm surprised the officer didn't just follow them all the way to the scrapyard, since he was following them for a while.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
There's the possibility these grates never hit the scrap yards on their way back to replacing stolen grates.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Ron Pauls Friend posted:

My computer with paint.net is down. But I can tell you a road along the Southern bank of the Boltic river as well as a road inland to serve ag interests in the area is essential.

Also extend the industrial lead along the east bank up to killingham and Salvation and build a bridge slightly east of Opiantic to link the two and establish a second mainline in the Opiantic Valley. Salvation merchants are tired of the NDS high prices and the fact they can't even ship to Hartshire quickly. Abandon the station on the northside of the river to save costs and speed up throughput.

Edit: Listen to this man! In a time of war, when the fate of the Republic is on the line, he deliberately blocks needed supplies and troops crossing the great state of Nutmeg, all because of a petty business dispute. This is exactly the reason why a true mainline across this state and New England is required, one that is not controlled by a vainglorious madman who would spite his own country to keep his petty monopoly's stranglehold on Western Nutmeg's commerce.

ZombieApostate posted:

Gentlemen, if this is your decision, then the Government will simply choose to send its freight through New Dublin and bypass the godforsaken Opiantic-Boltic area altogether.

Phanatic posted:

drat, that is clever! If they'd just dressed up in their safety vests, they probably would have gotten away with it, too. That is an inevitable dilemma of dealing with maintenance contractors.
Edit - though I suppose if there was a kind of warranty, like with the prefab concrete pavement, there wouldn't be an incentive. Regardless, most maintenance contracts aren't set up that way.

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 10, 2012

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Use pervious precast slabs, they're so heavy nobody can realistically steal them, and they don't have much reinforcement steel to sell even if you manage to bust them up enough to get to it.

Big problem around here is 3/4" solid steel plates used to cover open utility access sites, people steal them for scrap. That's one reason my company sells the precast utility access slabs - smooth fit, and drat near impossible to steal.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

sincx posted:

Is the no double-tracking thing forever? Or can we blast through the mountains with better technology next decade?

If you're looking at the situation from the 1860s, is there a difference? :)
Yeah, you will be able to, though it looks like it'll go bankrupt first given the current situation.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

First, I'm'assuming that the tracks coming into town are either double tracked or have enough sidings to handle their traffic. So here's my strange idea.

A new rail bridge south west of Opiantic. You'll notice only 3 wyes, it's because there's no need to turn north when crossing to the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham and points south and wants to through Opiantic to Killingham and points north/west will leave Norham on the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham that wants to go through Opiantic to Boltic and points east go on the east side of the river. There are no routes that go from the east side of the river to Killingham, so no need for a wye. Traffic going the other way follows the same segregation. Traffic from Killingham to Norham will follow the west side of the river.

Now passenger trains go between New Dublin, Norham, Opiantic, Killingham (and when a bridge is built, Mutnap). There's a train from Opiantic to Boltic to other cities along the Fukov. Passenger movement from New Dublin and Norham to Boltic requires a transfer at Union Station in Opiantic. If there's ever demand for a Norham-Opiatic-Boltic single seat trip, it will require the train to pull into Opiatic, then back out of that station to get back on the east side of the river. The stations on the east side of the river can be closed to passengers, and demolished or repurposed.

Between Opiantic and Boltic, passenger trains and local freight trains travelling west travel on the north track (making this one way). Track on the south side will be double tracked for passenger trains travelling east and through freight.

The bridge to the rest of Boltic allows east bound passenger and local freight trains to access Union Station in Boltic, whereas through traffic can continue on the east side of the river. I've also added a bridge and track east of Boltic to allow easy connections between Deep Bend and Oliver without going directly through the cities.

As for bridges, from the triangle in Opiatic I've built two bridges to the east and two bridges to the south, as well as a bridge further south down the river. In Boltic I've also built two bridges on either side of the existing road bridge. Finally I've built two bridges along the river between the two cities, as well as expanded the roads a bit. I've also built a park in some empty space between the cities. This can grow farther along the river or up into the mountain if we'd like

For growth in Opiantic, I've built a grid to the south of the city (I hope this is the right area).

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

First, I'm'assuming that the tracks coming into town are either double tracked or have enough sidings to handle their traffic. So here's my strange idea.

A new rail bridge south west of Opiantic. You'll notice only 3 wyes, it's because there's no need to turn north when crossing to the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham and points south and wants to through Opiantic to Killingham and points north/west will leave Norham on the west side of the river. Traffic from Norham that wants to go through Opiantic to Boltic and points east go on the east side of the river. There are no routes that go from the east side of the river to Killingham, so no need for a wye. Traffic going the other way follows the same segregation. Traffic from Killingham to Norham will follow the west side of the river.

Now passenger trains go between New Dublin, Norham, Opiantic, Killingham (and when a bridge is built, Mutnap). There's a train from Opiantic to Boltic to other cities along the Fukov. Passenger movement from New Dublin and Norham to Boltic requires a transfer at Union Station in Opiantic. If there's ever demand for a Norham-Opiatic-Boltic single seat trip, it will require the train to pull into Opiatic, then back out of that station to get back on the east side of the river. The stations on the east side of the river can be closed to passengers, and demolished or repurposed.

Between Opiantic and Boltic, passenger trains and local freight trains travelling west travel on the north track (making this one way). Track on the south side will be double tracked for passenger trains travelling east and through freight.

The bridge to the rest of Boltic allows east bound passenger and local freight trains to access Union Station in Boltic, whereas through traffic can continue on the east side of the river. I've also added a bridge and track east of Boltic to allow easy connections between Deep Bend and Oliver without going directly through the cities.

As for bridges, from the triangle in Opiatic I've built two bridges to the east and two bridges to the south, as well as a bridge further south down the river. In Boltic I've also built two bridges on either side of the existing road bridge. Finally I've built two bridges along the river between the two cities, as well as expanded the roads a bit. I've also built a park in some empty space between the cities. This can grow farther along the river or up into the mountain if we'd like

For growth in Opiantic, I've built a grid to the south of the city (I hope this is the right area).

I vote for this plan, if only to prevent the NDS and the NCNS&S-GNU from playing chicken and getting everything fouled up. :ohdear:

Also, that shade of green is for cemeteries, not parks, although hopefully Cichildae is nice enough to not make them cemeteries even though he knows you meant parks.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I generally approve but we don't need that many bridges at the center, several are right next to each other. I also don't think we should place the park about as far from each city center as possible.

I've amended it slightly:

I've also removed the grid in part because in hindsight I didn't like the one I added in mine for New Sanctum. I presume the expansion will occur on both banks downriver of the current center.

It's nice that the main station is now not cut off by a river from the main road.

Btw, what are the respective rivers called again?

Also, on a more general region note. The road from Killingham to Mutnap and then heading out of the state is still totally un-improved and should really be modernised. Same with the road between New Dublin and Norham. Less urgently as it has other connections to the north might be improving the road from East Hartshire to Summerfield.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

These men speak sense.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hedera Helix posted:

Also, that shade of green is for cemeteries, not parks, although hopefully Cichildae is nice enough to not make them cemeteries even though he knows you meant parks.

Hey, I'm a nice person. Besides, Opiantic doesn't need another cemetery any time soon; most of its dead are used as fertilizer for the poppy fields. In fact, it's shown to be wildly successful! The city must be getting prosperous, because the destitute are disappearing from the streets.

Munin posted:

Btw, what are the respective rivers called again?

Also, on a more general region note. The road from Killingham to Mutnap and then heading out of the state is still totally un-improved and should really be modernised. Same with the road between New Dublin and Norham. Less urgently as it has other connections to the north might be improving the road from East Hartshire to Summerfield.

I didn't name the rivers, but you can call them the New Dublin River and the Boltic River, to make things simple.

For the roads, 1870 will begin (probably tonight!) and we can improve that pretty much right away.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
When 2 lanes merge is it designed for us to do a late merge, an early merge or does it vary from location to location, is there any way to tell?

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

TheGreySpectre posted:

When 2 lanes merge is it designed for us to do a late merge, an early merge or does it vary from location to location, is there any way to tell?

Late merge allows the road to "store" the cars in a smaller area, keeping any backup from stretching far enough to interfere with other intersections etc. In isolated situations, it won't make much of a difference as the same number of cars have to go through the same point, regardless of if they're in two short lines or one long line.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

TheGreySpectre posted:

Late merges are always better. If the signs tell you "Merge here" or "Do not pass," that is your cue to merge at that point; otherwise, wait until you can't continue any farther in your lane.

-----

Opiantic-Boltic suggestions are complete, and I will post the new configuration shortly (probably edited into this post). 1870 to follow thereafter.

Edit:

Yes, yes, this will work nicely!

Cichlidae fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 11, 2012

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I'm sad that I didn't have enough time to mock up a shared Regional Transport Center.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Mandalay posted:

I'm sad that I didn't have enough time to mock up a shared Regional Transport Center.

Hey, Norwich is just getting theirs now in 2012, so you've still got a century and a half. Chin up!

I've got some field visit photos from today, so once I get the update posted, I'll start editing those and post them on here either tonight or this weekend.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Welcome to 1870!

Yes, we won the war, thanks to the valiant effort of all Nutmeggers! We've moved one decade into the future, and boy, have things changed! Let's look at the map.

There is a lot to go over, and I'd like to do a city-by-city rundown, but let's start with the forests. Wooded areas have reached their foreseeable minimum. Agriculture is much cheaper and more productive in other parts of the nation, particularly in the newly settled East, so many farms have gone out of business and moved to the cities to seek their fortune. Accordingly, the state is nearly 50% urban. From this point on, no new farms will be created, and much of the existing farmland will slowly turn back to forest. I'll be damned if I'm going to draw that all in, so from now on, just imagine that the green is primal forest, and white is settled (or previously settled) land.

The telegraph has changed life significantly in our cities. In fact, we even have an undersea telegraph cable, allowing instant communication across the ocean! Research into other applications of electricity is continuing at a frenzied pace - already, many industries are building large "dynamos" to provide power when the river is unwilling to serve it. As such, there is little incentive for industry to grow around rivers.

Oh, but that industry... since the War, industrialists seeking cheap labor have swarmed to the former rebellious states to exploit their freed slaves and bankrupt landowners. There is no reason to ship cotton up to Nutmeg, after all, when the mills can be located right at the plantation. Specialized industries, like arms manufacturing and metalworks, seem safe.

It is now possible to build bridges across the Big Fukov River that will allow barges to pass and will last at least thirty years, so long as there are no major storms.

The trams in our cities have led to more pronounced tentacular growth along their routes. We expect this growth to continue.

What else has been improved? As suggested, a few remaining Indian Roads have been upgraded. Additionally, after much much much begging, a traprock quarry was built west of Hartshire, with a railroad to serve it. The invention of Dynamite has greatly aided this industry, and quarrying can now be carried out in large scale. Tunneling is also possible, but is very expensive and risky.

Now, let's look at the cities one-by-one.

Winton - Its growth has been highly linear along the railroad tracks. These days, fewer trains are stopping in Winton, bypassing it for the larger cities upstream and downstream.

Hartshire - The War provided the incentive for explosive growth, and Hartshire's industries expanded to surround much of the new railroads installed last decade. As the Nation seeks to expand its influence throughout the continent, arms sales are steady.

East Hartshire - While the southern part of the town is effectively an outgrowth of Hartshire's arms industry, the northern part, connected to the capitol by streetcar, is an excellent home for the city's middle class.

Oliver - This city has hardly grown, but its influence is felt throughout the region. Its citizens have acted to block Middleport's northern growth, as they feel that heavy industry nearby would attract the wrong kind of person. Nutmeg's few rail barons continue to rake in profits here.

Meridian - Its mixed industries have weathered the decade rather well, and excellent rail access has helped, though a railroad bridge across the Fukov would be immensely useful.

Middleport - Between the success of Meridian across the river, and Oliver's influence to the north, Middleport is beginning to feel stunted. The eastern half of the city, especially, now feels like an extension of Meridian.

Deep Bend - While it was a center for logistics during the War, with ample warehouses to facilitate loading and unloading of cars headed to the front lines, the buyout of several local rail lines has made the city a redundant stop. Its future does not seem promising.

West Sanctum - Still a major shipping port, West Sanctum and its new park have attracted many artists from the New Cork area thanks to its harborside beauty and relative proximity to other major cities.

New Sanctum - While its industrial growth has not been as quick as Hartshire's, its location at the crossroads of several rail lines means the inner city has grown considerably. Gale College, in particular, has developed an excellent reputation, and is beginning to attract researchers from around the world.

Mutnap - After producing clothing for the troops, many of its industries moved out of Nutmeg (which, if you ask us, is downright treasonous.) In their place are glassware and food distribution industries.

Chenchester - This factory city was hit hard by the decreased demand for Nutmeg silk. Crime is running rampant, and its near-abandoned factories have suffered numerous deadly fires, many suspected to be arson.

Killingham - Its good location has ensured the city some relevancy, and its industry hums away at metal products and bricks. Its bricks are considered to be among the best in the nation.

Opiantic - Situated in a valley, Opiantic suffers continual epidemics and outbreaks, likely due to its foul smelling industrial effluent and sewage dripping through the cobbles in every street. Fortunately, a variety of laudanum tinctures are available to improve one's health.

Boltic - With the tram to Opiantic, Boltic is often mentioned in the same breath as the other city. While it is unlikely the two will ever be merged, no action taken in one can avoid affecting the other.

Norham - Many of Norham's elite threw their hat in the Chrysanthemum ring when the nation went to war, betting that they could make a killing by selling these funerary flowers. That pulse of activity, however, was short-lived, so much of the city has gone back to its old habit of food-packing.

Rockington - This resort town ("half a day's ride from New Cork and Salvation!") has experienced slow but steady growth, and its future looks good, as long as the stock market continues its meteoric climb. And hey, why would it ever stop, right?

New Dublin - New Dublin's shipbuilding prowess is unmatched in the nation. The entire city hums with activity, building ironclads for the Navy and double-hulled steamships with dual expansion boilers for exceptional businessmen nationwide.

Lemyn - The city hasn't grown much, and perhaps hasn't found its raison d'être yet. It has lost much of its political influence from Nutmeg's colonial days.

New Hartshire - It continues to provide excellent wooden goods, especially furniture, helped out by the wonderful paints and stains from Waterbridge downriver.

Atmington - Demand for pocketwatches is at an all-time high, thanks to the development of railroad time zones. Many industries are also beginning to experiment with small electromechanical devices as well. The future looks bright!

Farmingham - Farmingham is still closely tied to the arms trade. A large explosion in a powdermill in 1864 knocked out perhaps a quarter of the city, but it quickly grew back.

Waterbridge - The chemical industry has a heavy presence here. Dyes, paints, and the like are growing very popular. Sure, the river runs red, purple, or black for days at a time, but those fish will come back someday.

Nogahyde - Profits have been getting slimmer lately, thanks to decreased availability of rubber, so Nogahyde's businesses are lobbying for better access to South America (by war, if necessary) to start some plantations.

Wellingford - Its location at a waterfall seemed fortuitous, but after some heavy tilling upstream, increased runoff and erosion caused one of the largest factories to slide into the river. While other boilermakers remain, many citizens fear the worst and have moved to Green.

East Sanctum - Whaling is a major industry here, and the citizens of East Sanctum gladly welcome each ship, providing them with supplies for their next hunt and loading their catch onto railcars.

Green - As noted, Green holds much of Wellingford's former population, and specializes in steam fittings and valves for boilers and steam engines.

Millfort - Heavy iron ore is shipped in by barge and smelted into steel here. The main product of Millfort's steel mills is railroad track.

Bridgefield - Sharing in the output from Millfort's mills, as well as rubber from Nogahyde, Bridgefield has achieved synergy in producing telegraph cables. It specializes in undersea cables, which are in constant demand.

Fairport - This city grows richer by the day, though its innermost neighborhoods are overgrown with filth and crime. Anyone with money has left for Orangewich or Bridgefield, choosing to commute daily. The city's main industry is shipping and packaging.

Orangewich - No problems here. There are never any problems in Orangewich.

PSD: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByQzqtNM0WuFYmxFYkhGUEloVlk

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Cichlidae posted:

It is now possible to build bridges across the Big Fukov River

Let's build one from that river terminus in Merdian to run a line along the north of Middleport over to where those other lies meet and turn north (or a better place, if there's a better place). Also a road bridge across the BFR at that mid-Middleport interchange. GIMP wasn't playing nice with the .psd so instead please accept this:

quote:

Farmingham - ... A large explosion in a powdermill in 1864 knocked out perhaps a quarter of the city, but it quickly grew back.
Citizens for Urban Management point to this as proof that their model works!

quote:

Orangewich - No problems here. There are never any problems in Orangewich.
We know. :(

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 12, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can we build that bridge across the Fukov in Sanctum that we planned for yet?

And do we have any goals in this decade? That's a lot of cities for me to process all at once, are there any obviously under served lines of transport, or any city pairs with a ton of traffic that isn't very direct?

Will we be working on cities this decade?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

FISHMANPET posted:

Can we build that bridge across the Fukov in Sanctum that we planned for yet?

And do we have any goals in this decade? That's a lot of cities for me to process all at once, are there any obviously under served lines of transport, or any city pairs with a ton of traffic that isn't very direct?

Will we be working on cities this decade?

You can build any bridges you like!

Your goals are to continue building roads and railroads, because it's worked great so far. Finish up any connections that are missing, and if you think a route is profitable, go ahead and build another rail parallel to the existing.

No cities this decade.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So other than the bridge connecting New Sanctum to West Sanctum, I'm not sure what else there is to build. There are a handful of city connections that have roads but not rails, but either a direct connection wouldn't save much time, and thus not be worth the money (like Boltic to New Dublin) or there just wouldn't be any demand (Boltic to Chenchester). I don't really see a lot of room for parallel tracks for competition, like there would be on a transcontinental route.

So I'm stumped, hopefully someone with more creativity can find room for profit.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Cichlidae posted:

Welcome to 1870!

Farmingham - Farmingham is still closely tied to the arms trade. A large explosion in a powdermill in 1864 knocked out perhaps a quarter of the city, but it quickly grew back.

Which one of you dumb-dumbs blew up both yourselves and 1/4 of the city?

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The K&W would like to make another deal with the owners of the NDS and the HWFR, in order to connect tracks for a project in the works:

These planned tracks will allow faster and more frequent trips between Salvation-Hartshire, Salvation-Summerfield, and even Salvation-Wincester. It will also give the new quarry up past Hartshire a chance to ship directly to Summerfield, and will give new life to Chenchester now that silk's dried up.

Does this meet with your approval?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

East Hartshire's middle class demand quality furniture. There's no sense in shipping it all the way down to Waterbridge, where it will become smelly from chemical residue. No sir, only approved varnishes and stains on my furniture!

Requestiong an extension on my line to try to connect New Hartshire with East Hartshire directly. The existing road may be too steep to reuse, but if we swing to the west just past the mountainous area west of New Hartshire, around where Atmington is, we'll have a much quicker path.

Additionally, Atmington's mechanical exploits will provide plenty of fuel for our burgeoning bourgeois, so we should connect that as well. They'll definitely be an important part of our weapons industry, as devices get better for refining gunpowder and making weapons.

I'd like the following:

We follow the line out of East Hartshire, but once outside of the city there is a wye branching off towards Atmington. 2 miles or so outside of Atmington, we branch again; one line connects directly to Atmington, while another swings north up to New Hartshire.

Additionally, there's no point in going through Waterbridge just to go between Atmington and Farmingham. There looks to be a wee valley between the two; place a rail line between the two cities so that Atmington's trade can be more quickly brought to Farmingham, and Farmingham's weapons industry can provide protection to Atmington against "trouble" :getin:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Edit: Derp, someone already suggested the bridge across the BFR at Meridian

Double edit: I don't own the HWFR either. We really need to figure out who requested what rail lines so we can track this, if we're going to worry about requesting permissions from people.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 12, 2012