Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Swapped out my seized A/C compressor with a good one only to find out the fittings are slightly different. So I guess I accomplished some weight reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Bought this:

1992 Integra LS, 191,000 miles. No rust car from Olympia, WA. Runs, drives, dirty as heck but will clean up easy. No radio, blown muffler and has an overheating problem, but I got it for $300.

It's either going to be a lemons racecar, or a flip...probably a flip.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a 90 or 91, not a 92 - unless someone swapped to the 90-91 bumpers, front signals, and taillights. Unless the hatch has been replaced, I'm going to go with 91 - the 90 had the Integra badge between the lights (in big ugly black letters) instead of on the corner of the hatch. 92-93 had wider front signals (with a matching bumper) that wrapped around the corners slightly, and red/amber taillights instead of red/clear. Different steering wheel too, IIRC.

The climate control flakes out on those - if yours has crapped out, pulling it and reflowing the solder on the buttons will have it working like new again. Check to see if the passenger side front carpet is damp, if it is you'll be pulling the cowl to replace some seals. Flaky intermittent wipers/front signals are a bad ICU (integrated control unit) - it's mounted to the back of the fuse panel, I believe. The seat belts have a lifetime warranty, if you have issues with them (though the dealers always bitch and try to say the warranty only covers the webbing and nothing else, a call to Honda of America usually gets that straightened out).

Not bad for $300, you could sell the wheels to a ricer for that.

And damnit, now I miss my Integra..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

And damnit, now I miss my Integra..

Do it, your current piece of poo poo costs that much every month as it is. :haw:

I started them all, moved them for a few minutes, sobbed silently to myself, then came inside and masturbated.

Ok, I didn't masturbate. Why bother? :shepicide:

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
I turned a new shift knob on a wood lathe.

It's from a piece of bloodwood a coworker gave me. It turned very well. Some 1000 grit sandpaper and a few coats of high gloss urethane, and here we are.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

trouser chili posted:

Bought this:

1992 Integra LS, 191,000 miles. No rust car from Olympia, WA. Runs, drives, dirty as heck but will clean up easy. No radio, blown muffler and has an overheating problem, but I got it for $300.

It's either going to be a lemons racecar, or a flip...probably a flip.

You've still got that *other* Integra, right? The only answer then is do this one up like the other one and leave it out as a sacrifice. It's the only way.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

Do it, your current piece of poo poo costs that much every month as it is. :haw:

I started them all, moved them for a few minutes, sobbed silently to myself, then came inside and masturbated.

Ok, I didn't masturbate. Why bother? :shepicide:

I'll have you know the only poo poo my piece of poo poo poo poo has needed since the poo poo transmission has been a poo poo seal (er, front crank) and distributor poo poo-ring, mister. :10bux: total. :argh: And hey, I can still get parts at the dealer :v:

Masturbation likely occurred at some point today, but at least I washed my hands before driving. Somehow a crusty steering wheel doesn't sound very appealing to handle..

e: derp, masturbation on the mind, I also replaced an evap solenoid and a vacuum hose. Another :10bux:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 5, 2012

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

MrChips posted:

You've still got that *other* Integra, right? The only answer then is do this one up like the other one and leave it out as a sacrifice. It's the only way.

That might be a fun idea. If I keep it I may plasti-dip it champ white and powdercoat the wheels to match. I really don't care for the green. Oh, and I do still have the ITR, although it's not at the house right now.

I do think it's a 91, cause in 92 I think all cars in the US had to have airbags, and those god-awful auto-choke belts were gone. This one has the terrible belts and no bag. My neighbor found a tag on it that said 9/91 or something to that effect, but I was busy testing for a headgasket leak. I'm still waiting on the title, otherwise I'd know for sure. Guess I could also look at the VIN.

I got it to start to overheat, cut it off before it got too high. It won't do it at idle in park, but if you pop it in gear and let it set, the temp will rise up in fairly short order. There is no evidence of exhaust gasses in the coolant, tested for that, the oil is clean, the coolant is clean, no peanut butter, no white smoke. So I'm pretty sure the head gasket is intact as well as block and head. That's great news. I'm going to replace the thermostat and probably attack the timing belt and waterpump. Couple that with a flush on the coolant system and I think the overheating problem will be solved. The radiator is new. I found an empty bottle of Bar's stop leak coolant system fuckmachine in the trunk, hopefully it's not hosed the system up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
AFAIK airbags weren't required till 95.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

trouser chili posted:

That might be a fun idea. If I keep it I may plasti-dip it champ white and powdercoat the wheels to match. I really don't care for the green. Oh, and I do still have the ITR, although it's not at the house right now.

I do think it's a 91, cause in 92 I think all cars in the US had to have airbags, and those god-awful auto-choke belts were gone. This one has the terrible belts and no bag. My neighbor found a tag on it that said 9/91 or something to that effect, but I was busy testing for a headgasket leak. I'm still waiting on the title, otherwise I'd know for sure. Guess I could also look at the VIN.

I got it to start to overheat, cut it off before it got too high. It won't do it at idle in park, but if you pop it in gear and let it set, the temp will rise up in fairly short order. There is no evidence of exhaust gasses in the coolant, tested for that, the oil is clean, the coolant is clean, no peanut butter, no white smoke. So I'm pretty sure the head gasket is intact as well as block and head. That's great news. I'm going to replace the thermostat and probably attack the timing belt and waterpump. Couple that with a flush on the coolant system and I think the overheating problem will be solved. The radiator is new. I found an empty bottle of Bar's stop leak coolant system fuckmachine in the trunk, hopefully it's not hosed the system up.

I don't know if this is OEM or a problem created by the previous owner of my now-scrapped 1991 Integra, but there were a few coolant hoses that rubbed on the engine (the first one I found was shaped, not just a generic piece of hose), specifically the lines to the intake manifold/throttle body.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

trouser chili posted:

I do think it's a 91, cause in 92 I think all cars in the US had to have airbags, and those god-awful auto-choke belts were gone.

No, cars in the US were required to have passive restraint in the late 80s/early 90s. A lot of car makers chose to use power seatbelts; some chose to use seatbelts mounted in the door, and told customers they were always supposed to stay fastened. Honda did both, depending on the model - I know my 88 Accord coupe had the seatbelts in the door poo poo (and the buckle was labeled "EMERGENCY RELEASE"), and an angry flashing light on the ceiling that came on if you unbuckled it. I seem to remember 88-91 Preludes being the same way.

The DA hatch had power seatbelts for the entire 90-93 run; I can't remember if the sedan got them or not. Canadian models had regular seatbelts.

The Integra didn't get an airbag until the 3rd generation (DC) came out in 1994, I believe the passenger side airbag was added in 95 or 96. 90-91 Accords also had power seatbelts, IIRC, getting a drivers side airbag and normal seatbelts for 92.

The 92-93 Integra did get a different steering wheel, but there was no airbag.

:spergin:

With that out of the way, I'd bet on the thermostat not opening fully. But hey, it's overdue for its second timing belt/water pump service by now anyway.

EightBit posted:

I don't know if this is OEM or a problem created by the previous owner of my now-scrapped 1991 Integra, but there were a few coolant hoses that rubbed on the engine (the first one I found was shaped, not just a generic piece of hose), specifically the lines to the intake manifold/throttle body.

I ran into this on both my 88 Accord and my 91 Integra. Pain in the rear end.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 5, 2012

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
:cripes:

Ordered a new transmission crossmember for my H1 when checking out a speed sensor error I had during my last trip and a rattling noise.

I went on a 1800 mile road trip to offroad in Colorado and Utah for 2 weeks with a cracked transmission crossmember.

Didn't discover it until I got back home. :haw:

Ah well at least its a cheap fix, $19 for the sensor, $150 for the crossmember.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Isn't that always great? I discovered my trans crossmember was a LOT worse than I thought when I prepped to leave for the latest new england AI get together, it was nearly flattened by rocks and had some pretty good cracks forming. So I brought the new one I'd fabricated from 1/4" wall box tubing and plate and installed it when I got there, since I don't have a paved driveway and Pipkin does.

Truck hasn't felt that solid in literally... ever. I never realized the transmission crossmember did that much for cab rigidity and my trans shifter doesn't bounce back and forth or vibrate as much anymore.

Oh, and we used my old crossmember as a target for some TFR fun.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

kastein posted:

Isn't that always great? I discovered my trans crossmember was a LOT worse than I thought when I prepped to leave for the latest new england AI get together, it was nearly flattened by rocks and had some pretty good cracks forming. So I brought the new one I'd fabricated from 1/4" wall box tubing and plate and installed it when I got there, since I don't have a paved driveway and Pipkin does.

Truck hasn't felt that solid in literally... ever. I never realized the transmission crossmember did that much for cab rigidity and my trans shifter doesn't bounce back and forth or vibrate as much anymore.

Oh, and we used my old crossmember as a target for some TFR fun.

Yeah the boxed in trans crossmember is the way to go for any offroader. Its interesting the H1/HMMWV has everything on the chassis build as 1/4" HSSS steel box except for the tranny cross member which is a little flat C channel that gets banged up on rocks.

Back in the 1990's someone made an aftermarket kit from 1/4" wall box tubing, I should look into milling something out like that... big improvement over OEM.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Patched the soft top on the S2000 using factory Honda method, aka softop material patches from a wreck car and vinyl glue. Came out pretty well; way less noticeable than the black gorilla tape but I need to go over and get rid of the residue and wash the top.

Before:

After:

Replaced the rear shocks too. Takes about 15min per side with the rear up in the air. It's normally a 2 person job so someone can apply weight to to hub but I was kinda lazy and decided to use some redneck engineering.

The suspension needed ~.5inches of deflection to have the lower shock eye align with the a-arm eye. I made sure to not sit near the wheel well when raising up the factory jack and then checked it to make sure there was no play and that it wouldn't explode outwards at me, even though it felt solid I was not comfortable.

On the test drive I found out the inner CV joints are pitted and the cups need to be swapped out. Goddamnit I need a lift in Boston :negative:

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 6, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Didn't have poo poo to do today, and a little over 1/3 of a tank.

So I got my camera and just... drove. North, out of town. 150+ miles later, I have a handful of photos and 1/8 of a tank. Drove on a lot of dirt roads, farm roads, county roads.. my suspension probably hates me for it. I guess the relatively low gas usage was because there was absolutely zero stop and go, just a bit of slowing to 35-40 for curves and accelerating back up to 60 (30-35 on the dirt roads). The weather was absolutely amazing too - low 50s, drivers window down with the heater on and stereo blasting. We were in the mid 80s yesterday.

350 miles on this tank so far, and still 1/8 left. Works out to about 26-27 mpg (I'll know for sure when I fill up tomorrow), and about 200 miles were all city. Not too bad on a car rated 28 highway/21 city when it was new - I'm sitting at 164k now, with a slightly shorter final drive than it was originally sold with.

Viggen will be upset to know that I had absolutely zero problems, not even a check engine light.

I tried to polish a turd too:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 7, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was checking tire pressure in my wife's car before she went on a trip. Got to the fourth tire and heard a hissing sound as soon as I took the valve stem cap off. Tire still held full set pressure, but apparently the valve stem cap had become functional to the tire holding pressure.

I don't have a valve stem tool, so I had to take the loving thing to a tire shop to have them turn the stem 1/8 of a turn. :(

Learned: 1) :wtf: valve stems and 2) buy a valve stem tool.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1) Buy valve caps that double as valve stem tools.

http://www.amazon.com/METAL-VALVE-CAPS-CD-4/dp/B000I19BOC

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
So I installed the following over a grueling 12 hour wrench session

-ecode headlights
-4,300k HIDs
-H&R coilovers
-Miro 111 wheels in 18x8.5 w/ Hankook Ventus V12's (225/40/18)
-some spacers up front

This project would have taken 5 hours, except one of the control arm bolts wouldn't come out no matter what we attempted :bang: We started at noon and finished at 2:30am.

Now that the suspension is settled, I need to raise the rear as it's very low. Anyway, enough yapping, more pics.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

GramCracker posted:

This project would have taken 5 hours, except one of the control arm bolts wouldn't come out no matter what we attempted :bang: We started at noon and finished at 2:30am.

Did you try fire? As in a torch? I have always found turning up the heat on things gets things moving.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

_firehawk posted:

Did you try fire? As in a torch? I have always found turning up the heat on things gets things moving.

We had fire on it for at least five minutes (multiple times) and that did jack poo poo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I once had a strut pinch bolt require not only fire, but a full day of PB and liquid wrench, and even then I couldn't break it loose with even a snapon 1/2 air impact. I had to spot weld a 1inch socket onto the bolt and then use a 20 inch breaker bar + cheater pipe to break the fucker.

So I feel your pain man.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Viggen will be upset to know that I had absolutely zero problems, not even a check engine light.

Surprised, perhaps. :smug:

I done painted up the worlds' ugliest, pitted, and rashed wheel. Here's with a test run of the center cap before being clearcoated.

Looks kinda TIRED, huh? :haw:

I got some overspray on the wheels thanks to the wind picking up. Car gave me a really odd non-start/check gearbox warning. Either the cable to the NPS needs adjustment, or I need a new NPS.

I need to stop tormenting STR about his woes, his gay-fu is stronger than my SAAB-fu.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

ratbert90 posted:

I once had a strut pinch bolt require not only fire, but a full day of PB and liquid wrench, and even then I couldn't break it loose with even a snapon 1/2 air impact. I had to spot weld a 1inch socket onto the bolt and then use a 20 inch breaker bar + cheater pipe to break the fucker.

So I feel your pain man.

We ended up removing a different control arm bolt and pulling the entire assembly out rather than removing the bolt. That mother fucker will never get out on my watch, I will shake the person's hand who gets that bolt loose.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Viggen posted:

Surprised, perhaps. :smug:

I done painted up the worlds' ugliest, pitted, and rashed wheel. Here's with a test run of the center cap before being clearcoated.

SUPER STEEL 535 :black101:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Viggen posted:

I need to stop tormenting STR about his woes, his gay-fu is stronger than my SAAB-fu.

Sadly, I don't seem to attract hot guys IRL very often. Something about being covered in gear oil all the time, maybe?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Found my DEPO reproduction HID headlights' horizontal aim screws aren't disconnected like the genuine Ford housings (which were aimed at the factory before being disabled.) Which explains why my beam pattern was absolute poo poo before I followed Daniel Stern's aiming instructions.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 8, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

3 rides, actually - mine and the other 2 in the house.

New Valucraft (Autozone's economy brand) wipers across the board - Altima, Avalon, and F-150. They actually do a much better job than my last wipers (Rain-X) did when they were brand new; by the time my Rain-X wipers were 1 month old they were chattering really bad, and they streaked out of the box. The F-150 also had Rain-X wipers, with the same experience. The Avalon's were OEM, but 2 years old.

$43, with tax, got new wipers for all 3 vehicles. Not too bad.

Found out the Avalon has an odd combination of wiper sizes - 24" and 17". I'm used to a 1 or 2 inch difference between passenger/driver wipers, but not 7". :quagmire:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 8, 2012

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Smogged the 2000.
Started pricing an NPS for the '96.
Bitched about both on the internets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

3 rides, actually - mine and the other 2 in the house.

New Valucraft (Autozone's economy brand) wipers across the board - Altima, Avalon, and F-150. They actually do a much better job than my last wipers (Rain-X) did when they were brand new; by the time my Rain-X wipers were 1 month old they were chattering really bad, and they streaked out of the box. The F-150 also had Rain-X wipers, with the same experience. The Avalon's were OEM, but 2 years old.

$43, with tax, got new wipers for all 3 vehicles. Not too bad.

Found out the Avalon has an odd combination of wiper sizes - 24" and 17". I'm used to a 1 or 2 inch difference between passenger/driver wipers, but not 7". :quagmire:

Rain-X wipers loving suck. I have better luck with Wal-Mart brand.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Shame, too, 'cause their wiper fluid is great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

Shame, too, 'cause their wiper fluid is great.

I find their spray treatment to be quite good as well. They just can't make a rubber blade for poo poo,

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Haha, my company sold our patents to Rain-X a year or so ago. I wonder if they're our parts?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ozmiander posted:

Haha, my company sold our patents to Rain-X a year or so ago. I wonder if they're our parts?

You jerk!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Swapped out the summer tires and dropped them off at my buddy's house. He'll look after the car while I'm away, so he's got to store the tires; he has a garage and the space within, so it's not a big deal. The winters went on without any trouble at all, which was a nice change from my usual pattern of getting stuck on step 1 for an hour or two (or having the car lurch on the jack and try to kill me).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ozmiander posted:

Both sets were well over a year old. :v: The ones on the Altima were 18 months old, the ones on the F-150 probably had several years on them, knowing him - there was almost no rubber left on that set.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

Rhyno posted:

I find their spray treatment to be quite good as well. They just can't make a rubber blade for poo poo,

I've found that Bosch Icons tend to be really amazing as long as your windshield is perfect or there is no residue then they gently caress up like a 6 year old with ADD at the spelling bee. I've had a set on my Focus up here in the Pacific Northwest for about two years now and they've held up great.

They're also unrighteously expensive. :suicide:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I've found that Bosch Icons tend to be really amazing as long as your windshield is perfect or there is no residue then they gently caress up like a 6 year old with ADD at the spelling bee. I've had a set on my Focus up here in the Pacific Northwest for about two years now and they've held up great.

Rhyno posted:

I ran Icons for a couple years and then found Rain-X ones on sale when I needed wipers one day. I have found that the Rain-X ones don't leave the shining arc behind that the Icons did, and I really like them. Different strokes. v:v:v

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
I actually just replaced my s2000's wipers yesterday with OEM swaps. They work great and are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
ITT: Wiperchat.

I've used Rain-X, but the only thing I've really found is the arched ones help get more grime out of lightly pitted windshields. Otherwise, a good wiper is a good wiper. Most, though are not.

It got down to freezing last night. NG900 stuttered at me when I went to start. Yes, battery, I realize that I filled you with distilled water two months ago and trickle charged up, but you do NOT need to add an additional expense to this car.

Ordered a used/warrantied NPS, no sense dicking around with a car that may or may not start.

2000 9-5 passenger window is starting to dip in the front when rolling up at speed. Noticed that when it started whistling. Yep, I had to reuse a roller because one broke. Figured I would get more than 3 months out of the drat thing. Oh well, I have like 10 left. Guess I'll do that when I do the NPS in the NG900.

I blame some texas redneck.