Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Leon Einstein posted:

It's such a dumb talking point about how our military fights for our freedom, but it's used so often that nobody really thinks about it.

Don't use a dumb libertarian talking point to illustrate this point, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

prom candy posted:

You're setting different goalposts for how a government would take away someone's freedom vs. how a criminal or company would take away someone's freedom.
Not really; I'm talking about the general freedom that is "fought" for by our military. It's not like the U.S. is going to be enslaved by foreign invaders the second we try to trim our military spending.

Also, I am not really sure how this is a libertarian talking point. I'm the furthest thing from a libertarian. I just get sick of the hero worship when it comes to the military, and how people get pissed if I don't kiss the rear end single military person around. Apparently I enjoy the "freedom" they are fighting for, therefore I can never utter anything critical about them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Hobnob posted:

There are a couple of books by an author named Jane Grant (Come Hither, Nurse and Come Again, Nurse) which, although fictionalised, are supposedly pretty much semi-autobiographical accounts of what it was like to be a student nurse in London in the early 50s. There's a lot of eye-opening stuff for a modern reader (particularly, of course, social attitudes, like everyone automatically assuming that a nurse who got married would immediately quit her job).

One thing that stood out for me was the chapter covering her stint in the TB wards, where patients could spend a year or more. Before the widespread use of effective antibiotics, treatment consisted of temporarily collapsing one lung to "rest" it. The doctors usually had TB themselves, since infection was a problem, and some of them had only a few months left to live. It was a supreme waste of time and life and it's a tribute to modern medicine that such places are no longer required.

Probably best not to click this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totally_drug-resistant_tuberculosis

Well done 1st-worlders for a) gratuitously over-using and abusing antibiotics and b) letting THE MARKETS decide we need erections and parenting in capsule form more than we need new, working antibiotics.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I have a friend who I cannot convince that UHC is a good thing. His anecdotal evidence trumps all. He has an aunt who lives in Canada and needed a procedure done to her eyes, the waiting list was so long that she went blind.
The problem is I don't know if it was in fact a long line situation or if the doctor just hosed up.

The only thing I can say in response is that people don't get sent home to die in Canada like they do here.

I live in Canada, my neighbor is also an Immigrant and she used to bitch quite a bit about the Medical service and its waiting lines for minor stuff like colds and the like.

I tried to convince her that the fact that she was actually covered against the serious stuff was worth the occasional lines but that didn't change her opinion at all. Until one day she began to see light flashing lights on her right eye and ran to the hospital. There, the nurse immediately found her a general doctor, who examined her and then (again, immediately) send her to an ophthalmologist who ran all kinds of tests in expensive looking machines before sending her to an even more specialized dude who checked her eyes completely and told her what do do.

The next day she just told me "you were right" and that's that. Another convert into the evils of socialized medical care!

It seems like some people just have to experience the system first-hand to realize that it works. And thus your friend, who is not a Canadian resident, will probably never change his mind.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Leon Einstein posted:

Not really; I'm talking about the general freedom that is "fought" for by our military. It's not like the U.S. is going to be enslaved by foreign invaders the second we try to trim our military spending.

Also, I am not really sure how this is a libertarian talking point. I'm the furthest thing from a libertarian. I just get sick of the hero worship when it comes to the military, and how people get pissed if I don't kiss the rear end single military person around. Apparently I enjoy the "freedom" they are fighting for, therefore I can never utter anything critical about them.

I doubt you're going to find anyone who will disagree with this point. The issue people were taking exception to was that it was obvious that only the government can take away people's freedom.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

trucutru posted:

It seems like some people just have to experience the system first-hand to realize that it works. And thus your friend, who is not a Canadian resident, will probably never change his mind.
Yeah. Not that I needed convincing, but the one time I had to call an ambulance to go to the hospital, and people spent 90% of the time checking out what insurance I had and making sure I paid the copay rather than bother with my health was enough to convince me of how lovely things are here. And I am insured, mind you, which I had to confirm and reconfirm with at each stage of my extraction, travel and treatment, such as it was.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

my loving e-mail forwards posted:

Subject: Why Mitt Romney is Unlikable

These are all the reasons the "main stream media" don't want him elected.

Why Mitt Romney is Unlikable!
A lot is being said in the media about Mitt Romney not being "likable" or that he doesn't "relate well"
to people. Frankly, we struggled to understand why. So after much research, we have come up with a Top
Ten List to explain this "unlikablility."

Top Ten Reasons To Dislike Mitt Romney:

1. Drop-dead, collar-ad handsome with gracious, statesmanlike aura. Looks like every central
casting's #1 choice for Commander-in-Chief.

2. Been married to ONE woman his entire life, and has been faithful to her, including through
her bouts with breast cancer and MS.

3. No scandals or skeletons in his closet. (How boring is that?)

4. Can't speak in a fake, southern, "black preacher voice" when necessary.

5. Highly intelligent. Graduated cum laude from both Harvard Law School and Harvard Business
School...and by the way, his academic records are NOT sealed.

6. Doesn't smoke or drink alcohol, and has never done drugs, not even in the counter-culture
age when he went to college. Too square for today's America ?

7. Represents an America of "yesterday", where people believed in God, went to Church,
didn't screw around, worked hard, and became a SUCCESS!

8. Has a family of five great sons....and none of them have police records or are in drug rehab.
But of course, they were raised by a stay-at-home mom, and that "choice" deserves America 's scorn.

9. Oh yes.....he's a MORMON. We need to be very afraid of that very strange religion that teaches
its members to be clean-living, patriotic, fiscally conservative, charitable, self-reliant, and honest.

10. And one more point.....pundits say because of his wealth, he can't relate to ordinary Americans.
I guess that's because he made that money HIMSELF.....as opposed to marrying it or inheriting it
from Dad. Apparently, he didn't understand that actually working at a job and earning your own
money made you unrelatable to Americans.
My goodness, it's a strange world, isn't it?

Personal Information:

His full name is: Willard Mitt Romney
He was born: March 12, 1947 and is 65 years old.

His father: George W. Romney, former Governor of the State of Michigan

He was raised in Bloomfield Hills , Michigan .

He is married to Ann Romney since 1969; they have five children.

Education: B.A. from Brigham Young University ,

J.D. and M.B.A. from Harvard University

Religion: Mormon - The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints

Working Background: After high school, he spent 30 months in France as a Mormon missionary.

After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously,
he passed the Michigan bar exam, but never worked as an attorney.

In 1984, he co-founded Bain Capital a private equity investment firm, one of the largest such
firms in the United States.

In 1994, he ran for Senator of Massachusetts and lost to Ted Kennedy.

He was President and CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games.

In 2002, he was elected Governor of the State of Massachusetts , where he eliminated a 1.5 billion deficit.

Some Interesting Facts about Romney:

Bain Capital, starting with one small office supply store in Massachusetts, turned it into Staples;
now over 2,000 stores employing 90,000 people.

Bain Capital also worked to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with
companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group,
Dollarama, Home Depot Supply and many others.

He was an unpaid volunteer campaign worker for his dad's gubernatorial campaign 1 year.

He was an unpaid intern in his dad's governor's office for eight years.

He was an unpaid bishop and state president of his church for ten years.

He was an unpaid President of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee for three years.

He took no salary and was the unpaid Governor of Massachusetts for four years.

He gave his entire inheritance from his father to charity.

Mitt Romney is one of the wealthiest self-made men in our country but has given more back to its
citizens in terms of money, service and time than most men.

And in 2011 Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income....
Just for comparison purposes, Obama gave 1% and Joe Biden gave $300 or .0013%.

Mitt Romney is Trustworthy:

He will show us his birth certificate

He will show us his high school and college transcripts.

He will show us his social security card.

He will show us his law degree.

He will show us his draft notice.

He will show us his medical records.

He will show us his income tax records.

He will show us he has nothing to hide.

Mitt Romney's background, experience and trustworthiness show him to be a great leader and
an excellent citizen for President of the United States .

You may think that Romney may not be the best representative the Republicans could have selected.
At least I know what religion he is, and that he won't desecrate the flag, bow down to foreign powers,
or practice fiscal irresponsibility.
I know he has the ability to turn this financial debacle that the current regime has gotten us into.
We won't like all the things necessary to recover from this debt, but someone with Romney's
background can do it.

But, on the minus side, he never was a "Community Organizer", never took drugs or smoked pot,
never got drunk, did not associate with communists or terrorists, nor did he attend a church whose
pastor called for God to drat the US .

IF THIS ISN'T WORTH SENDING TO EVERYONE, THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!!~!!

So much dumb poo poo in there. Dog whistles:siren:s, blatant lies, and some pretty decent hypocrisy. All to show :mitt: > :obama:, and all of it is :stare:-worthy

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

ZappDash posted:

So much dumb poo poo in there. Dog whistles:siren:s, blatant lies, and some pretty decent hypocrisy. All to show :mitt: > :obama:, and all of it is :stare:-worthy

It's a low tactic but I'd be tempted to respond to that with first a comment about the tax returns not actually being open, then I'd go on a rant about how Mitt believes that he will become a God in the afterlife. Right or wrong that theology scares the hell out of most hard right American christians, enough to write off the religion completely. I'm not super proud of it but that's the tactic I use on my in-laws, but they aren't interested in intellectually honest debates and I don't mind stooping down to their level a bit to prevent them from dumping their retirement accounts into a political campaign.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ZappDash posted:

Oh jeez.
1. I could go two ways on this. Either "you're literally saying we should elect our President on looks", or "you mean he's white".

4. Are they referring to Biden here? The "put y'all back in chains" thing? People adopt accents when speaking sometimes. It happens. It's not always pandering. But drat if they didn't have to mention "black", huh? Because no white person ever talks like that!

5. Jesus Christ the "sealed academic records" thing again. ALL academic records are sealed by FEDERAL loving LAW. The only reason we would know Romney's academic records is if he told us or if he signed a FERPA waiver for, uh, the entire country.

6. I really don't want to do the whole "he's a Mormon" thing, but, well, that's the reason he doesn't smoke or drink or do drugs. Because it's against his religious beliefs. The religious beliefs his family raised him in. This is not some testament to the man's willpower - it can be very easy to decide to not violate the religion you've been raised with your whole life.

7. Yes, exactly. We don't want "yesterday". We want "tomorrow", where American Protestantism isn't the only acceptable religion for our leaders, where people are considered equals regardless of literally loving anything you could use to make them "different", and where we no longer believe in the lie of "bootstraps" being proliferated by people whose "hard work" was helped along by personal connections that most of the country doesn't have.

8. That entire last sentence is missing the loving point. Ann Romney does not know what it is like to be a working mother in this country because she never had a job, and she shouldn't have said that she does. That was the only context in which the "scorn" involved exists - Ann Romney claimed to understand an experience she has never lived herself.

9. More a question of my own memory on this one...didn't Mitt admit that he asked church leaders for advice on the campaign trail, as to whether or not it was OK for him to say he supported certain positions? If not, mea culpa, I remembered wrong. If so, I AM NOT ELECTING A CHURCH TO THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT.

10. Yes, let's ignore the entirety of Mitt's upbringing to pretend that he built himself up from absolutely nothing. Or that his time at Bain Capital was at literally zero risk to himself, a position that an overwhelming majority of people in this country will never be remotely capable of leveraging through no fault of their own other than losing at, as Warren Buffett so eloquently phrased it, the "ovarian lottery".

Also, draft notice? You mean the draft he didn't have to deal with, right?

Update on the minimum wage rant I posted earlier: The guy who posted it listened to my fiancee and I talk about the problems with eliminating the minimum wage (like how MW is currently less than half the living wage, how corporate greed isn't going anywhere, and how reduced wages will usually not lead to reduced prices) and decided that perhaps he needed to think about the situation a little more next time. However, one person in the comment thread decided that 1) anyone who thinks that a living wage should be guaranteed must be 18-25 years old (he literally used "18-25" multiple times), because he's 44 and anyone who disagrees with him must be a child, and that if my fiancee really is in a situation where she can't just "go to college and make something better of herself", she should marry a rich man.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

ZappDash posted:

10. And one more point.....pundits say because of his wealth, he can't relate to ordinary Americans. I guess that's because he made that money HIMSELF.....as opposed to marrying it or inheriting it from Dad. Apparently, he didn't understand that actually working at a job and earning your own money made you unrelatable to Americans.
My goodness, it's a strange world, isn't it?

He... He did get it from his dad, though. He didn't 'inherit' it because his dad died after Romney was already a millionaire, but his dad gave him an allowance at Harvard that was generous enough for him to afford plane-tickets home on the weekend, as well as buying him a car and a house. Ann Romney said they lived modestly, because neither of them worked--they lived by selling the stock Mitt owned.

The only reason it's not an inheritance is because his dad was still alive.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
http://csteventucker.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/how-bad-is-the-democrats-health-care-reform-bill-really/

So here's the short story; I need some help figuring out just exactly how bullshit this source is to further a facebook argument. I know, such a just cause.

I'm starting now, but there is a TON of information to dissect.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

XyloJW posted:

He... He did get it from his dad, though. He didn't 'inherit' it because his dad died after Romney was already a millionaire, but his dad gave him an allowance at Harvard that was generous enough for him to afford plane-tickets home on the weekend, as well as buying him a car and a house. Ann Romney said they lived modestly, because neither of them worked--they lived by selling the stock Mitt owned.

The only reason it's not an inheritance is because his dad was still alive.
This also doesn't account for the fact that having a well known, rich, CEO, governor father pays out exponential dividends for someone in the business world. Whether or not Mitt Romney got an actual dump truck full of cash from daddy is irrelevant; he took advantage of his connections and name to advance in a business where who you know is just about everything. Mitt is as far from 'self-made' as a person can be without literally being birthed into a pile of cash.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

quote:

Mitt is as far from 'self-made' as a person can be without literally being birthed into a pile of cash.

Yeah, having a former presidential candidate and governor for a father is a definite boon in the business world, and he undoubtedly benefited from that at every level. But let's not go overboard. He did earn very impressive honors in college, and he did live in a cheap, lovely house. There are plenty of privileged assholes who all live in big expensive houses because their parents pay their every bill and they still barely pass. The last Republican president, in fact, leaps to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he's privileged and doesn't even have any idea how bad others have it, but that doesn't mean he was lazy or irresponsible.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Rick Perry supporters were the ones going on the news calling Mormonism a cult, not Obama's.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

XyloJW posted:

Yeah, having a former presidential candidate and governor for a father is a definite boon in the business world, and he undoubtedly benefited from that at every level. But let's not go overboard. He did earn very impressive honors in college, and he did live in a cheap, lovely house. There are plenty of privileged assholes who all live in big expensive houses because their parents pay their every bill and they still barely pass. The last Republican president, in fact, leaps to mind.

Don't get me wrong, he's privileged and doesn't even have any idea how bad others have it, but that doesn't mean he was lazy or irresponsible.
My point was not that Mitt Romney is incapable or incompetent; in general he's not (though he's a mediocre politician from a bygone age). Rather, my point was that the vast majority of people do not have the opportunities that Romney had, and it can further be stated that without those opportunities, he would never have accumulated as much wealth as he has.

To me, 'self-made' implies a lot more than 'competently rode a wave of privilege,' it implies that a person rose from having nothing to wealth. Mitt's just American aristocracy.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

On what to expect from the next debate, post: 7852137 posted:

Regarding the townhall format, I think you will see Romney knock it out of the park again. I also think Obama will show up a little bit, but I don’t think he will beat Romney. The truth is that Obama simply does not have the same cognitive function and experience of Romney. With Romney, you are looking at a guy who graduated top of his class with a JD/MBA from Harvard. He was one of the most successful consultants on earth in the late 70’s and early 80’s, and was thus tapped by Bill Bain to found Bain Capital. He led, for 15 years, what was arguably the most successful run for any investment firm in american history at Bain Capital from 1984-1999. Look at the returns he was able to generate for his investors. At one point he was tapped by Bill Bain again to come back to save a struggling Bain and Co, which he did successfully. He then took an Olympics mired with a huge budget deficit and scandal and turned it around making it the most profitable Winter Olympics to date, right after 9/11 I might add. Finally he was elected as a republican governor in the most liberal state in the country. Not to mention all of his civic and church duty as well as charitable giving.

Folks, this was not luck or a one time occurence. What you were watching in the debate, and will continue to see, is an overhyped/undeserving politician trying to debate the most qualified man TO EVER SEEK THE OFFICE. Yes, that is correct.

Romney has such command over the facts and issues that he won’t be beaten by Obama. Frankly, obama cant talk about the economy or the budget in an intelligent way and that will continue to become more obvious as the debates go on.

I don’t have anything against Obama personally, but the fact is that he had no business being president in the first place. He hasn’t been challenged or answered questions from reporters in 3 years, on purpose I might add, and that is why people were so surprised to see him stumble.

I was not surprised one bit...

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

Grimdude posted:

http://csteventucker.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/how-bad-is-the-democrats-health-care-reform-bill-really/

So here's the short story; I need some help figuring out just exactly how bullshit this source is to further a facebook argument. I know, such a just cause.

I'm starting now, but there is a TON of information to dissect.

I browse Politifact regularly (and so should you!), so a lot of this sounds familiar. I've just looked up a few of the claims, and none of them are good.

"The simple fact is that Democrats have already ‘ended Medicare as we know it” with Obamacare." - Pants On Fire

"Medicare will be bankrupt by 2016" - False

"The IPAB’s Authority Is Nearly Dictatorial" - Mostly False

That's just what I noticed at a quick glance.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

XyloJW posted:

My GPA would have been 1 point higher if I didn't have a 10-14 hour day every day in college from having to work full time. So yeah, I hope he did good when all he had to do was go to school and study. I am sure he wasn't exactly going to an over-crowded public school his whole life till then either.

:ssh: I dropped out of college because it turns out it's expensive and I am poor.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

My GPA would have been 1 point higher if I didn't have a 10-14 hour day every day in college from having to work full time. So yeah, I hope he did good when all he had to do was go to school and study. I am sure he wasn't exactly going to an over-crowded public school his whole life till then either.

:ssh: I dropped out of college because it turns out it's expensive and I am poor.

That loving sucks. But Xylo wasn't implying anything about you or people like you, so you don't have to get quite so defensive. He was just pointing out that he has worked hard, which is true. He started way loving further along than most people will ever get, but that doesn't mean he didn't work hard. The thing is, you can't blame him for being born rich and being given the life his parents' gave him anymore than you can blame someone who is born into poverty. Of course, you can't exactly say he is a self made man either, just because he worked hard within his privileged upbringing. Fortunately, that wasn't the point Xylo was making.

Romney's problem isn't that he was born rich, or given a privileged life. It's that he apparently lacks any sort of empathy and can't seem to fathom why everyone isn't like him. That and he has no qualms about crushing the lives of others to further himself. Which, upon further thought, is probably related to the empathy problem.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The latest in the series from Uncle Nutjob.

I'm positive he didn't type this first part in italics. Uncle Nutjob isn't the type to add his own thoughts to anything (unless it's to tell you that he's an expert at whatever it is) and probably has never had an original thought in his head.

quote:

Please listen to this and vote this man out before it is to late to save our beautiful country. He is a trojan horse that has come in to destroy America and turn it into to a Muslim nation. This is a christian nation and we believe in Jesus Christ. Stand up for your faith and your country. Vote against Obama

Subject:
Fw: Fwd: MUST READ

By Wayne Allyn Root

Barack Hussein Obama is no fool. He is not incompetent. On the contrary, he is brilliant. He knows exactly what he’s doing. He is purposely overwhelming the U.S. economy to create systemic failure, economic crisis and social chaos thereby destroying capitalism and our country from within. Barack Hussein Obama was my college classmate.

( Columbia University , class of '83).

He is a devout Muslim; do not be fooled. Look at his czars... Anti-business anti-American. As Glenn Beck correctly predicted from day one, Barack Hussein Obama is following the plan of Cloward & Piven, two professors at Columbia University ... they outlined a plan to socialize America by overwhelming the system with government spending and entitlement demands.

Add up the clues below. Taken individually they're alarming. Taken as a whole, it is a brilliant, Machiavellian game plan to turn the United States into a Socialist/Marxist state with a permanent majority that desperately needs government for survival... And can be counted on to always vote for even bigger government. Why not? They have no responsibility to pay for it.

Universal Health Care:

The Health Care bill has very little to do with healthcare. It has everything to do with unionizing millions of hospital and healthcare workers, as well as adding 15,000 to 20,000 new IRS agents (who will join government employee unions). Obama doesn’t care that giving free healthcare to 30 million Americans will add trillions to the national debt. What he does care about is that it cements the dependence of those 30 million voters to Democrats and big government. Who but a socialist revolutionary would pass this reckless spending bill in the middle of a depression?

Cap and Trade:

Like healthcare legislation having nothing to do with healthcare, Cap and Trade has nothing to do with global warming. It has everything to do with redistribution of income, government control of the economy and a criminal payoff to Obama’s biggest contributors. Those powerful and wealthy unions and contributors (like GE, which owns NBC, MSNBC and CNBC) can then be counted on to support everything Obama wants. They will kick-back hundreds of millions of dollars in contributions to Obama and the Democratic Party to keep them in power. The bonus is that all the new taxes on Americans with bigger cars, bigger homes and businesses helps Obama spread the wealth around.

Making Puerto Rico a state:

Who’s asking for a 51st state? Who’s asking for millions of new welfare recipients and government entitlement addicts in the middle of a depression? Certainly not American taxpayers! But this has been Barack Hussein Obama’s plan all along. His goal is to add two new Democrat senators, five Democrat congressmen and a million loyal Democratic voters who are dependent on big government. (This will tip the balance of those living off the government to more than those who must pay for it; and we're done for.)

Legalize 12 million illegal Mexican immigrants:

Just giving these 12 million potential new citizens free healthcare alone could overwhelm the system and bankrupt America . But it adds 12 million reliable new Democrat voters who can be counted on to support big government. Add another few trillion dollars in welfare, aid to dependent children, food stamps, free medical, education, tax credits for the poor, and eventually Social Security. (see note above re: Puerto Rico )

Stimulus and bailouts.

Where did all that money go? It went to Democrat contributors, organizations (ACORN), and unions -- including billions of dollars to save or create jobs of government employees across the country. It went to save GM and Chrysler so that their employees could keep paying union dues. It went to AIG so that Goldman Sachs could be bailed out(after giving Obama almost $1 million in contributions). A staggering $125 billion went to teachers (thereby protecting their union dues).

All those public employees will vote loyally Democrat to protect their bloated salaries and pensions that are bankrupting America . The country goes broke, future generations face a bleak future, but Obama, the Democrat Party, government, and the unions grow more powerful.

The ends justify the means. Raise taxes on small business owners, high-income earners, and job creators. Put the entire burden on only the top 20 percent of taxpayers, redistribute the income, punish success, and reward those who did nothing to deserve it (except vote for Obama).

Reagan wanted to dramatically cut taxes in order to starve the government. Barack Obama wants to dramatically raise taxes to starve his political opposition. With the acts outlined above, Barack Hussein Obama and his regime have created a vast and rapidly expanding constituency of voters dependent on big government; a vast privileged class of public employees who work for big government; and a government dedicated to destroying capitalism and installing themselves as socialist rulers by overwhelming the system.

Add it up and you’ve got the perfect Marxist scheme all devised by my Columbia University college classmate Barack Hussein Obama using the Cloward and Piven Plan. http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/overwhelm.asp

Last point: think about what this designed rule of the rabble will do to anyone successful and everyone receiving this is. What will your lives be like under communism? The time to fight this abomination is now

I hope each of you will forward to at least a dozen people.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Sarion posted:

Romney's problem isn't that he was born rich, or given a privileged life. It's that he apparently lacks any sort of empathy and can't seem to fathom why everyone isn't like him. That and he has no qualms about crushing the lives of others to further himself. Which, upon further thought, is probably related to the empathy problem.

This.

The problem with Romney and his ilk isn't that they're rich, it's that they don't understand that people are poor because of social stratification, not lazyness. I don't care that people like Warren Buffet and Gates are rich, and I appreciate the fact that they realize that they are privileged and want to help others. They also realize charity isn't a replacement for government programs. Charity can not deal with institutional poverty. You need government intervention, regulation, and programs to deal with that. Being rich doesn't make a person an rear end in a top hat, being selfish and having an unsympathetic attitude does.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm positive he didn't type this first part in italics. Uncle Nutjob isn't the type to add his own thoughts to anything (unless it's to tell you that he's an expert at whatever it is) and probably has never had an original thought in his head.

That's too bad, because the italics is the best part. It has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the horse poo poo. I think we may be reaching an amazing point where Muslim and Marxist mean the same thing to the kinds of people who buy into this nonsense.

As for the rest of it...

Obamacare does not unionise healthcare, nor does it add 16000 IRS agents.

Cap and Trade didn't pass, so I didn't even bother reading the rest. But my guess is its description of this bill that was originally pushed by Republicans (Obama's opponent in 2008 no less) is probably inaccurate.

Who is pushing for a new State?

Never supported a blanket amnesty for all 12 million illegal immigrants.

Bailouts were from Bush.

Ok, think that covers it.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The author, Wayne Allyn Root, stated to the media that he never met Obama:

New York Times article posted:

Neither one knew their famous Columbia classmate, Barack Obama. “I’ve not only not met him,” Mr. Root said, “I’ve not met anybody who met him.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/fashion/05nite.html?_r=2&

FactCheck.org posted:

The message recycles — and exaggerates to the point of falsification — some attacks that were raised in the heat of the 2008 presidential campaign. The claim that Fox News could not find any classmates who remembered Obama, for example, was published in a Sept. 11, 2008, Wall Street Journal editorial, which attacked then-candidate Obama for not releasing more information about his two years at the university. The message also makes much of Wayne Allyn Root’s statement in an interview that he didn’t know anybody who remembered Obama at Columbia. That appeared Sept. 5, 2008, in Reason magazine. What the message fails to mention is that Root was at the time a candidate for vice president on the Libertarian ticket. Root was stating that "[a] vote for Obama is four years of Karl Marx," but even Root stopped short of claiming that Obama was not actually a student at Columbia.

http://www.factcheck.org/2010/02/obama-at-columbia-university/

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm pretty sure Communists crushed unions.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Sarion posted:

That loving sucks. But Xylo wasn't implying anything about you or people like you, so you don't have to get quite so defensive.

Well I am pretty lazy too. No big deal.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

ultimateforce posted:

Well I am pretty lazy too. No big deal.

Mr. 47% up in here. :rolleyes:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Did I get the phrase "started on 3rd base, thinks he hit a triple" from here? I'm pretty sure it was this thread. Because it exactly describes Mitt Romney. He's done very well for himself, there's no point in even trying to deny it. But the "self-made man" stuff is a stretch at best. Yes, you can still be a colossal fuckup with rich connected parents. So good for him for not being a colossal fuckup? I'm sure he works hard.

He did well in school? Great! Good for him. But instead of seeing "hey I had all of these advantages that most people will never ever even come close to!" he says "I did that myself!" Meanwhile you have a guy like Obama, who came from a much worse situation and still managed to go to the same college as Mitt. Mitt gets "look at how awesome of a student he was!" Obama gets "hey why won't that black guy show us his transcript!? I don't even think he went to Columbia like he claims!"

I'm rambling now I guess.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

myron cope posted:

Did I get the phrase "started on 3rd base, thinks he hit a triple" from here? I'm pretty sure it was this thread. Because it exactly describes Mitt Romney. He's done very well for himself, there's no point in even trying to deny it. But the "self-made man" stuff is a stretch at best. Yes, you can still be a colossal fuckup with rich connected parents. So good for him for not being a colossal fuckup? I'm sure he works hard.

He did well in school? Great! Good for him. But instead of seeing "hey I had all of these advantages that most people will never ever even come close to!" he says "I did that myself!" Meanwhile you have a guy like Obama, who came from a much worse situation and still managed to go to the same college as Mitt. Mitt gets "look at how awesome of a student he was!" Obama gets "hey why won't that black guy show us his transcript!? I don't even think he went to Columbia like he claims!"

I'm rambling now I guess.

Not rambling, because this about sums it up. To a significant portion of the population, Romney is a self-made man (despite being surrounded with opportunity and little else for most of his life) and Obama is a black Islamofascisocialist who never really went to Columbia and is a Manchurian candidate from our worst enemies.

Yes, good for Romney for working hard, but he hosed up when he failed to realize that many Americans are poor because of institutionalized poverty. Good for Obama for working hard and good for him for realizing he can help others too.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Someone here had "He was born so close to home plate the umpire felt the afterbirth" which I personally like.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I was going to say some stuff, but y'all covered most of it. Thanks as always to Sarion for backing me up when I word something poorly and come across like a jerk.

I just don't like to see people put themselves against a rhetorical wall. Give yourself some room for hate. By saying Romney's the most privileged rear end in a top hat ever, you're not leaving yourself any room to remind people that they elected a guy twice as lazy, twice as dumb, three times as sleazy, and from an even higher social rung on the social ladder only 8 years ago. I will always reserve my harshest class hatred for him.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Hey, remember that lovely letter from a buisnessman to his employees from a few pages back? The one where he told them they were going to be fired if Obama got re-elected?

quote:

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job.

What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country. Of course, as your employer, I am forbidden to tell you whom to vote for - it is against the law to discriminate based on political affiliation, race, creed, religion, etc.

Please vote for who you think will serve your interests the best. However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interest. First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a back story.
If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steamrolled the Constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me in the South Caribbean sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

I don't think anyone ever put it together that that letter is basically a rip-off of the letter that David Siegel sent to the employees of his company (or he copied the chain letter, which Siegel seems to actually agree with in the article). This is the David Siegel the former billionaire (now only has hundreds of millions ;_;), CEO of some lovely timeshare resort company, owner of the failed largest house in America let's make a documentary about it David Siegel. This idiot that still has more money than god even after the recession is so concerned about Obama raising taxes or something stupid that he's going to close up shop and take his humdreds of millions and flee the country

what in the gently caress ahrhashfdf

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
GW was born rich, and stayed rich half-assedly involved in running ACTUAL BUSINESSES (mostly in extractive industries, of course, but still). He didn't go around directly benefiting from the destruction of the livelihoods of people poorer than himself. He wasn't running a parasitic pseudo-business.

Was he only pretending to understand the problems of the poor and middle classes? Maybe. Was he only pretending to care? Definitely. Romney doesn't bother with either. You can either praise him for his honesty in that, or you can hate him more for the CERTAINTY that he is unaware how much better he has it than the people upon whom he treads.

Any additional hate you have for GW probably comes from his actions as president, or perhaps from his time as governor of Texas. Romney was governor of a very blue state, which would have restrained him...if he's elected president he'll be freer to be himself, and you'll probably hate him as much as you hate GW.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I suppose so. And it's a silly quibble for me to bring up anyway. Chalk it up to sleepiness on my part.

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leon Einstein posted:

Do people really think that Iraq or Afghanistan were trying to take away our freedom? It's obvious that the only thing capable of taking away our freedom is our government, and it already has been chipping away at it since 9/11.

I'm not sure where they got that from, but all the moms on my fb, who have sons in the Marines, remind the rest of us daily, that we should be thankful, that junior fought for our freedom.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there any point at which we should be challenging people on this?

I'm thinking let it go if it's generalized and directed at no one in particular, challenge if it's directed at anyone in particular or used to defend something indefensible.

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer
The freedom thing doesn't really bother me. It's just the idea that signing up, and following orders, automatically makes you a hero.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Sarion posted:

Who is pushing for a new State?

Puerto Rico is having their 4th referendum (first since 1998) on their political status this election year. The previous 3 attempts (67, 93, and 98) have resulted in the majority being in favor of the status quo, but there is still the possibility they could vote about become a state. Even then, it's up to congress to admit it as a state.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I read somewhere that in each vote, the margin narrowed further and further, and there's a very good chance statehood could win this time. I believe Obama and Reid have said they'll go along with whatever the people of Puerto Rico want.

Which means it'd be up to Boehner, and he can't herd the House to agree on poo poo, especially something so major.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

LP97S posted:

Puerto Rico is having their 4th referendum (first since 1998) on their political status this election year. The previous 3 attempts (67, 93, and 98) have resulted in the majority being in favor of the status quo, but there is still the possibility they could vote about become a state. Even then, it's up to congress to admit it as a state.

Thanks, I was not aware this was happening. I knew there had been failed attempts in the past, but didn't know they were voting again this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Sounds like job creation opportunities for flag manufacturers!