Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
We got chased by eleven dogs on our walk tonight. First a pack of five, then two others a bit further on, one of those two joined another pack of three, and finally a lone dog. Thanks rear end in a top hat owners, that really makes things pleasant for everyone else in your neighborhood. At least they were all smaller than Quaffle, which is a pretty good reason to get a big dog, in my opinion.

Quaffle didn't bark one bark, but his hackles did stand up several inches. He does a good dire wolf impression. He tried to sniff one of the pack of five (a fat lab) but that dog jumped away. That's right, bitches (unless they were males).

Also, Shadow is awesome :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Holy poo poo, that reminds me. We were on our usual walk the other day when we see this woman coming down the road with two off-leash dogs. We were on our way back, so we had to get past them somehow. So my husband took Psyche into a nearby field and I stayed by the road to make sure the dogs didn't come after her as they passed by.

Just as he's going in the field, a cop drives by super slowly and then stops a bit past us. I start internally freaking out because cop + reactive dog can only mean bad things. The cop starts backing up and I get ready to explain to him why my husband and dog are on someone else's property. But the cop just backs up right past me and goes to the woman.

We have leash laws, so I figure he's going to tell her off. She does put her two dogs on flexi-leashes and then he drives away, stopping again just up the road. She keeps coming and passed me, one of her dogs straining the flexi-leash to bark at me.

She walks on a bit. I plan to wait until she's out of sight because I know Psyche has heard her dog barking and is freaked a bit. Then she takes the dogs off-leash and they run over the cop, who is out of his car and calling them.

Okay, so the cop knows the woman and dogs. They're both breaking the leash laws, but whatever. Everyone does it, why not the cops? One of the dogs peels off before getting to him, though, and they start yelling after the dog like idiots who don't know the meaning of the words "solid recall". They chase the dogs for the while and then finally leave.

I have nightmares about being pulled over with Psyche in the car, but until then I had never seen a cop on the backroads we walk on. So yay, now I can have nightmares about that too!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I know it's really mean, but sometimes I lack the wherewithal not to do this.

He crawled under my bed afterward and now he won't come out.

edit: wow not even for a whole slice of bread. (Bread is the best and the ultimate.) OH WELL.

edit 2: haha oh wowwww

dude you CHOSE not to eat the rat. you are in control of your own destiny.

Why don't you go write in your diary about it :qq:

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 8, 2012

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Superconsndar posted:

Why don't you go write in your diary about it :qq:
And people get mad at ME for some of my videos.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Poor Moses. All these terrible things in his house and now there's another one and it's allowed to sit on him.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

If he were a better dog, maybe there wouldn't be so many other animals in his house, sitting on him and touching his things. Maybe. Maybe, if he were a good dog, bad things wouldn't happen to him. Maybe someone would even love him. Maybe, if only he were a good dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Fraction posted:

Look at me! Watch me! I'm a pretty pony! :haw:

I don't care how silly he looks, seem like he was having a blast.

He enjoyed it a lot more than I expected (well, I think he enjoyed that I enjoyed it), but I don't think he wishes I'd take it up as a hobby anytime soon, haha.

Also goddamn, Moses, you emo gently caress.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I love how Moses just falls to pieces when something upsets the balance of his perfect dog-world. He's so emotional.

Fionna is sleepy. :3:

She's really starting to act like a crazy puppy now. Her days consist of chewing everything within reach, barking at the cat, running around at top speed and sliding under furniture, picking gravel out of the neighbors driveway, and chewing on her foot.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Azrael Alexander posted:

I love how Moses just falls to pieces when something upsets the balance of his perfect dog-world. He's so emotional.

Fionna is sleepy. :3:

She's really starting to act like a crazy puppy now. Her days consist of chewing everything within reach, barking at the cat, running around at top speed and sliding under furniture, picking gravel out of the neighbors driveway, and chewing on her foot.

Wanna mash dat fat head and tell her she a piglet piggy piggy piggy eyes :3:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

She's not a puppy, she's an adorable marshmallow that came to life. She looks like such a lovely squidgy doggy. Wanna tickle that face. :3:

And Moses is wonderful. Crazy dude. :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I hope Moses' neurosis cools down some once you're all moved out with your SO Super.

That poor puppy though. :saddowns:

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

This is the face of pure, unadulterated misery :qq:

By the time he comes out from under your bed he'll be wearing black eyeliner and studded bracelets and will listen to nothing but My Chemical Romance. You just don't understand!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

I hope Moses' neurosis cools down some once you're all moved out with your SO Super.

That poor puppy though. :saddowns:

It will. He's actually gotten a lot better recently; getting to go ratting a bunch has helped him a ton, and he's slooooooowly getting used to the concept of the puppy mostly because I have stopped having just about anything to do with the puppy at all. I work with him around the puppy when my parents aren't home, and he's realizing that 1.) he wins and 2.) He isn't expected to be bff's with/acknowledge the puppy and won't be forced to endure his bullshit so he's getting a lot less defensive about the whole thing.

The puppy, lol. He is being made into a boring lump and he doesn't mind I guess. They're not doing anything too horrible, just the usual average pet owner stuff. None of his drives are being cultivated and are actively being suppressed and I'm sure he will make a very nice accent piece on the living room floor. I've stopped doing anything with him because it makes both Moses and my parents wig out, so WELP.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

It will. He's actually gotten a lot better recently; getting to go ratting a bunch has helped him a ton, and he's slooooooowly getting used to the concept of the puppy mostly because I have stopped having just about anything to do with the puppy at all. I work with him around the puppy when my parents aren't home, and he's realizing that 1.) he wins and 2.) He isn't expected to be bff's with/acknowledge the puppy and won't be forced to endure his bullshit so he's getting a lot less defensive about the whole thing.

The puppy, lol. He is being made into a boring lump and he doesn't mind I guess. They're not doing anything too horrible, just the usual average pet owner stuff. None of his drives are being cultivated and are actively being suppressed and I'm sure he will make a very nice accent piece on the living room floor. I've stopped doing anything with him because it makes both Moses and my parents wig out, so WELP.

Well at least he's okay with becoming living furniture.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
I have to keep a corgi on almost complete rest for a full week. Neige came back from a blisteringly-fast run limping on her right hind leg. Since it didn't seem to be healing after 48 hours, I took her in to see the vet today. Without doing an x-ray, the vet can't be certain, but she thought it might be a partial ACL tear. We're going to have her on an anti-inflammatory and a very mild sedative for a week and see if that helps, and if not, it'll be x-ray time and budget-for-a-possible-$2000-surgery time. Which is not very good timing, since we're about to close on a house with a 20% down payment in like 2 weeks. From what I've read, doing conservative management instead of surgery can increase odds of arthritis in the affected leg, so boooooo.

Either way, this might mean Neige doesn't do agility in the future, and while her health and not being in pain is paramount, I'm a little sad about this development. I hate to see her hopping around, not wanting to put weight on her leg. Luckily, Benny went home Saturday, so she won't be bugged by any other dogs demanding to play.

notsoape, did you pass the stifle injury pain curse along or something?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'm not sure if it helps, but I have a friend whose sporter-border collie tore her ACL last year, and the dog still does some flyball and performance stuff with us. Low jumps don't seem to stress her out too much. I hope it's just a mild sprain or something similarly mild. Ugh.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Random article I saw being shared around the faceyspaces.

Dog Whispering in the 21st Century

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I read that and it's pretty good. I was surprised by how many people and groups are sharing it. I expected it to be one of those many articles everyone takes one look at and says, "Nope, not reading it, too science-y and/or long." Even the local pet magazine that has a huge audience shared it and I was like YES.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 9, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
That's a really nicely written (and sourced) article. Those dog bite statistics are horrible yet unsurprising.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

paisleyfox posted:

Great read, posted this to my facebook, hopefully some of my derpier family members will read it and understand why I tell them not to watch Dog Whisperer.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
HAPPY NO-MORE-BALLS DAY EVERYONE! :toot:

These two assholes are going to be much less manly in a few hours. Never again will we have two adolescent male puppies at the same time-even though this was hardly intentional. Foster-man goes to his new home in New York City in about 3 weeks!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TVs Ian posted:

HAPPY NO-MORE-BALLS DAY EVERYONE! :toot:

These two assholes are going to be much less manly in a few hours. Never again will we have two adolescent male puppies at the same time-even though this was hardly intentional. Foster-man goes to his new home in New York City in about 3 weeks!

Godspeed, dognuts.

:silent::hf::silent:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

ButWhatIf posted:

From what I've read, doing conservative management instead of surgery can increase odds of arthritis in the affected leg, so boooooo.

If you don't go the surgery route, ask about Cartrophen (a drug which helps to prevent arthritis developing as well as repairing arthritic changes that may be already present), as well as getting her on a joint support supplement or specific joint diet. TBH if it's anything like my dog's knee you could be looking at 6-8 weeks of strict rest for it to heal properly without surgery.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

paisleyfox posted:

I just want to brag like crazy: I work for this author and his training company. Prescott is going to be a force to be reckoned with once he's completed his CAAB work.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for the Neige-beast. She's not enjoying the sedative (to take her energy level down a notch or two) or the enforced rest. If the week of pills and rest don't help, I guess I'll be looking around for a good and affordable orthopedist to get some professional advice as well, so if anyone knows one in the Seattle area, send me a PM. From what I've read, I'll probably want to go with extracapsular repair. I want to avoid TPLO if I possibly can, since it's so intensive and financially prohibitive. Meanwhile, my poor doggy's all strung out and glazed and just looks...generally unhappy.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ButWhatIf posted:

I just want to brag like crazy: I work for this author and his training company. Prescott is going to be a force to be reckoned with once he's completed his CAAB work.

Thanks for all the advice and well-wishes for the Neige-beast. She's not enjoying the sedative (to take her energy level down a notch or two) or the enforced rest. If the week of pills and rest don't help, I guess I'll be looking around for a good and affordable orthopedist to get some professional advice as well, so if anyone knows one in the Seattle area, send me a PM. From what I've read, I'll probably want to go with extracapsular repair. I want to avoid TPLO if I possibly can, since it's so intensive and financially prohibitive. Meanwhile, my poor doggy's all strung out and glazed and just looks...generally unhappy.

Hey limpy Corgi buddy... Corwin developed a limp after tripping on a water bowl someone left in the middle of the park field on Saturday night. Front right leg. We haven't taken him to the vet yet; we're resting him to see if it's just a little strain... hopefully he won't need any serious measures. Poor guy just wants to play. :(

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Terra isn't a corgi, but she had a random limp for about the last week and a half. We don't know how it developed, she went to bed one night fine and woke up the next morning with the limp. Dogs.

Anyways, we had planned on making the vet appointment on Tuesday if she didn't get any better (it was Canadian thanksgiving here) but on Sunday she woke up randomly perfectly fine. I still don't have a clue what caused it, but she's completely back to normal after a week and a half of not wanting to put pressure on her foot.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Maannn, I keep screwing up the names of the dogs in my daycare. We have this Lab puppy named Eli but he looks like a Will so I keep calling him Will. Then there is a big brown Beagle mix named Princess that I keep calling Peanut because she looks very much like a Peanut.

And then I had this obese, dark red Golden I just kept calling Sausage.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

According to my dog sitter, Bailey was very excited when he heard the door open and then was depressed/ sulky when it wasn't me.

I just thought he was excited because it was food time. Guess I need to be less cynical about my fuzzy little buddy.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Skizzles posted:

I don't see anything wrong with this?

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

I don't see anything wrong with this?

I think the correct name is Snausage. (like the dog treat)

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I call every beagle "Lemon Drop" (if it's lemon colored) or "Chow Hound" if it's not. I'd love to hear other dog nicknames people come up with cuz I find stuff like that hilarious. Giggled at the "Peanut" one. :3:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Every dog I meet eventually becomes Poochie, and if I refer to them in general they're woofies. "Hey, Poochie...what's new?" and "let's take the woofies to the park!"

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I call every staffie/cross I meet 'fatty fatty bum bum'.

I've only ever seen like one that wasn't grossly overweight, you see

Most of my dog nicknames are reserved for my dogs. And then there's the nicknames for the mouse, and the rats, and my friends' dogs...

lola what are you doing

...okay :catstare:

Fraction fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 9, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
120 baroos for your viewing pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC4cACp-E2w

notsoape you need to post another thread for your beagles!!

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

every animal everywhere is "puppy" to me. I don't even have a dog

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Skizzles posted:

Maannn, I keep screwing up the names of the dogs in my daycare. We have this Lab puppy named Eli but he looks like a Will so I keep calling him Will. Then there is a big brown Beagle mix named Princess that I keep calling Peanut because she looks very much like a Peanut.

Chances are good the dogs don't know their names anyway; if their owners are anything like most pet owners I know they get called various nicknames far more often than their real names. Indy probably thinks her name is HeyMyBabyDollGirlyGirlLoveyFuzzButt.

I also call all dogs Puppy, regardless of age and/or size.

PeaBeeJay
Sep 28, 2012

ButWhatIf posted:

Are the sedatives at least keeping her ... uh, sedate? My dog had surgery to repair his ACL in July and the painkillers he was on immediately afterward were supposed to have a sedative effect, but they did the opposite and made him manic. He was on a bad drug trip. :catdrugs:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Robo Kitty posted:

Chances are good the dogs don't know their names anyway; if their owners are anything like most pet owners I know they get called various nicknames far more often than their real names. Indy probably thinks her name is HeyMyBabyDollGirlyGirlLoveyFuzzButt.

Eli seems to know his name okay, and so does Missy (Sausage). Princess had no fuckin' clue though.

Also, today I had the only doodle I've ever thought was actually really nice looking. But that's 'cause he he was huge and gray and looked like he could pass for an Irish Wolfhound mix. His name was King Bear.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Robo Kitty posted:

All dogs are Puppy at heart. I also will call anything Bud if it seems friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Jumping on the all dogs are puppies bandwagon. This got me an especially amused look from the owner of a local pony-sized St Bernard I got to pat one day.

• Locked thread