Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I also find that parcooking the crust makes it significantly easier to slide a fully dressed pizza off the peel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sasperilla
Jan 4, 2009
Glad I found this pizza thread. My family just had a practice round for our annual pizza competition when everyone is home for the holidays.

I'm going to have to look through the pages for recipe ideas.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Walk Away posted:

So celebrity chefs are vaginas?

Was there ever really a doubt?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So I am really considering getting a stand mixer just for pizza dough. I kinda hate baking but want to be able to make awesome smooth dough like you guys and I always get crap when using my hands. Can anyone post a good recipe that gives more details for using your hands and not a standardized mixer?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ColHannibal posted:

So I am really considering getting a stand mixer just for pizza dough. I kinda hate baking but want to be able to make awesome smooth dough like you guys and I always get crap when using my hands. Can anyone post a good recipe that gives more details for using your hands and not a standardized mixer?

Just combine all the ingredients in a bowl, stir it up with a spatula/implement/hand until all the flour has gone into the blob, and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Then, flour a wooden board and your hands, dump the blob onto the board and knead with your hands. Add more flour or water if necessary depending on the stickiness of the dough.

Kneading by hand takes 2-3 times longer than in a mixer, so expect to be kneading for at least 15 solid minutes. As for kneading technique, I prefer the ol' fold 'n smash method i.e. fold the dough in half on itself, smash it flat with the palm of your hand, turn 90 degrees and repeat.

You'll know you're done when the dough gets that lovely smooth texture all over it, and when it is pliable and stretchable without tearing. Enjoy your workout!

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 18, 2012

kashikis
Jul 28, 2008

Clarence posted:

Tonight I tried a sauce consisting of puree, chopped tomatoes and herbs instead of cheating, and I'm now officially a hero in this house. Thanks! :chef:

To me the sauce and dough are the most important pieces to the pizza. I also like to used chopped tomatoes in the sauce to give it small bursts of flavor.

Dirty Phil
Jul 3, 2012

ColHannibal posted:

I have had good results with the no-knead pizza dough, although I am not sure what style of pizza you are going for.

Here is the recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Long rise time gives good flavor and nice little air pockets. I am still trying different recipes to get the type of pizza I like. Like you, I don't like kneading the dough so much.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I started using Casu Marzu's recipe from the OP and it's great. The dough was super sticky, so I was a little bit worried at first because the Batali recipe (from page 1, which I tried first) is pretty dry in comparison and took longer to mix by hand.

Thanks to the posters who gave me some much needed insight into yeast. :tipshat:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

ColHannibal posted:

I posted a couple of pizzas a few pages back. They were all kneaded by hand for at least 30 min solid. Yes, it gets painful, but it's the only way to do it without a stand mixer. It's kinda therapeutic after a while :D.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im also getting one of these as it seems more durable than a stone and apparently cooks better. Any my cast iron is too much of a bitch to slide pizzas into.

http://stoughtonsteel.com/

sixdeadpandas
Jan 15, 2011
$72?? I need to get in the tiny piece of steel business.

zilong
Jun 14, 2007
;o;

Thank you for teaching me how to make pizza, gunes. Ugh, now I really really want that baking steel.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
From earlier this year -

Very long lineage sourdough starter for the dough, San Romano tomatoes sliced and stewed and made into sauce, buffalo mozzarella and basil. Then basil pesto, buffalo mozzarella and basil.

All on my stone!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

sixdeadpandas posted:

$72?? I need to get in the tiny piece of steel business.

1/4" thick "food grade" 304 (18/8) stainless steel plate that size isn't cheap. I thought the price sounded a bit high but after an hour of looking around the cheapest I've found for an unfinished plate that size is $66.

If it's just hot rolled A36 they're charging you $50 for rounded corners and the surface finish. You can buy a plate of a36 that size for around $25.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

MisterOblivious posted:

1/4" thick "food grade" 304 (18/8) stainless steel plate that size isn't cheap. I thought the price sounded a bit high but after an hour of looking around the cheapest I've found for an unfinished plate that size is $66.

If it's just hot rolled A36 they're charging you $50 for rounded corners and the surface finish. You can buy a plate of a36 that size for around $25.

And in fact, I did just that yesterday! Two pieces of 14x16x.250 plate steel for $40 out the door at Metal by the Foot. I seasoned them yesterday evening, and tonight I'll be making some test pizza... Should be interesting!

Edit:

And it was! Here's the inaugural pizza, the Bosco...

Asparagus, mushrooms, sliced garlic, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, truffle oil, and cracked black pepper.

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 29, 2012

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

HookShot posted:

If you're lazy and don't like to knead/don't have a dough attachment:

3 1/4 cup white flour

.75 TBSP instant active yeast
.75 TBSP salt
0.5 TSP sugar
1.5 cups lukewarm water.
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix everything except the flour in a big bowl, stirring only until everything is mixed.

Add the flour. Stir until it's combined and looks like dough.

Cover it with a dish towel but make sure to leave a small hole for the gases to escape.

Leave for two hours.

Come back, shape dough, make pizza, eat pizza.
I made this recipe from the first page last night, but I got tired and put it away to finish off today. How long should I let the dough sit out in room temperature before I form the pizza and cook it up?

EDIT: Never mind. Got it cooked. Now I get to experience the joy of cleaning a pizza stone. :sigh:

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 1, 2012

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I decided to experiment and buy some different types of flour. Any tips or suggestions for using Caputo tipo 00 flour for pizza?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Now that I'm feeling all :smug: from cooking my first successful pizza, I feel like branching out a bit. This recipe for a beer crust caught my eye, but I can't settle on toppings. At the moment, I'm thinking: BBQ sauce, white onion, steak, and cheddar.

Also, I actually don't drink, (Yes, I know that not all of the alcohol will cook out. I just feel like making this.) so I have no idea what beer to use. If I use steak, should I use a light or not-very-sweet beer to let the steak's flavor take center stage? Any suggestions?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any middle-of-the-road ale or lager works well in my experience, but I wouldn't go too dark/thick (dark porters and stouts) or too light (light lagers). Some suggestions that you should be able to find pretty much anywhere in the USA:

-Fat Tire Amber Ale
-Sam Adams Boston Lager
-Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
-Killian's Irish Red
Or, if you want a bit stronger of a taste, try an India Pale Ale like Sam Adams' Latitude 48 IPA, Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA, or New Belgium's Ranger IPA. These have a lot of hops flavor, which gives them some bitterness and some cool citrus flavors among others.

And generally just go with whatever looks nice to you. It's fun to experiment with different beers and see what kind of differing flavors they lend!

EDIT: also don't feel like you need to stick with recipes that are specifically for "beer crust", you can use basically any pizza crust recipe and just use beer instead of water. Also if the recipe calls for sugar, you can cut that out if you're using beer.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 1, 2012

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just chiming in again to tell everyone just how bloody important a hot oven is. Turn it all the way to max (even 500F if thats all you can do).... you want to sort of flash bake your pizza rather than slow bake it...

You'll know your doing it wrong if you pizza feels like your trying to cut through wood every time you cut it....

You're doing it right if the very bottom (like 1mm) of your crust is crispy, and the rest is cooked but not giving "strength" so to speak... in other words, easier to cut...

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
This is my first attempt and I am now a huge fan of the skillet method for cooking pizza. Sorry for the blurry pictures

Crust is perfectly cooked, took less than five minutes, and no preheating the oven? Yes please.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Ran into a snag making pizza last night and was curious for some tips. Was trying out a new type of dough (Using tipo 00 flour instead) but going through the usual motions. When I went to put the pie in the oven the dough was stuck to the peel. I did use some corn meal on the peel before but perhaps I didn't use enough? I also made the crust rather thin so it made it difficult to transfer or lift it up. Any other suggestions to fix a pie that is stuck on the peeler?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've never found a great way to unscrew myself from that... but this is what I've worked out (all tips):
1. Close oven and go back to preparation surfaces.
2. If stuck close to the side, peel the pizza off it and throw a little flour on the sticky area.
3. Before heading back to oven, shake the peel horizontally to make sure the pizza is loose and moves...

Honestly, the best solution I've found to avoid this is cornmeal and flour...

I'd like to know what others think...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Once you're stuck, it's pretty hard to get unstuck. My best strat for preventing sticking in the first place:

-use lots of cornmeal on the board. LOTS.
-Every time you do anything, shake the board and make sure it's still slippery
-When you transfer it to the stone, pull one of the edges of the pizza onto the stone with your hand, and then slide the board/peel out slowly to get the rest of the pizza on.

Can't overstate the importance of regular shaking just to keep things moving. When you add weight from toppings, that's when the pizza likes to start sticking.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My latest creation has been the Jerk Steak pizza... very hard to mess this up. Simply get some steak (drat near anything, including cheaper Tenderized or Sandwich Steaks), cut into thin strips and coat in Walkerwood Jerk Seasoning. Combine this with CUBED mozzarella (not shredded, get a ball and cut it into cubes) and a whole white onion cut into chunks (I quite like to leave the layers in tact so large chunks) on a whole wheat base.

What I cant decide on is if I should precook the steak?

I'm doing a chicken version tonight, and I will precook that for food safety reasons...

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
It's been said a ton in this thread, but just use parchment paper. You will never have to worry about sticking again.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Walk Away posted:

It's been said a ton in this thread, but just use parchment paper. You will never have to worry about sticking again.

It could be confirmation bias, but in my experience using parchment paper nets you a less-crispy crust.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.
I par-bake my crust for about 2 minutes on my stone (using parchment paper) then build and finish without the paper. Gets nice and crispy!

Also make sure to let the stone get nice and hot first...

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

nummy posted:

I par-bake my crust for about 2 minutes on my stone (using parchment paper) then build and finish without the paper. Gets nice and crispy!

Also make sure to let the stone get nice and hot first...
Yep, this is how to do it for a stress-free transfer to the stone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been using all bread flour in my dough, and it typically comes out pretty tough. So this time, I took Casu Marzu's recipe from the OP and substituted in half cake flour. Also added some honey because that's how I do. Madness, I know.

Let me tell you something - it was an absolute nightmare to work with. But the resulting pizza was what I would call nearly perfect.

The dough was incredibly sticky and did not stretch evenly, and kept getting holes in it. There could be a few factors for this.

- Cake flour is a bad idea.
- I let it rise for 4 hours and that was it.
- This recipe is for a fairly wet dough. My stand mixer wasn't exactly picking it up and kneading it much.

I have the other half of the dough in the fridge, I'll see how that turns out tomorrow. I'm going to have to work on this because I really love how it came out in the end.

edit:

After sitting overnight, it was still kinda sticky and lacked stretchability. I kneaded it a bit with some AP flour to keep it from sticking. After rising for a few hours, it was much more workable than the previous day, and I was actually able to make a round pizza.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 7, 2012

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just tried my hand at making pizza again, with some pretty great success. I've made it before but the cheese was always way too runny and the dough came out very thick, but this time I tried this no-knead recipe and the skillet/broiler method.

It came out really well but noticed a few things:

1) The crust was a bit too thin for our liking.

2) We only made enough for one pizza (divided the recipe by 4), but it was way too small...if we use that recipe next time, we'll have to make two pizzas.

3) The sauce was a bit too thin for my liking...my wife didn't mind it, but I'd like it a bit thicker if possible. All I did was take 4 tomatoes from the can of san marzano I had, and pureed them with 2 basil leaves, salt, and some oregano.

Other than that, it was perfect. I definitely like the skillet to broiler method.

Any ideas on crusts that might be a bit thicker? I suppose I could just not roll it out as thin as I did this time and cook it a bit longer.

Also, I can only find san marzano tomatoes in the huge-fuckoff 28 oz cans. Obviously I don't need the whole can for a pizza. Will an open can of these covered with foil last for a week maybe?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

nwin posted:

Also, I can only find san marzano tomatoes in the huge-fuckoff 28 oz cans. Obviously I don't need the whole can for a pizza. Will an open can of these covered with foil last for a week maybe?

Yes and no. Tomatoes and open cans don't get along. You need to transfer those out of the can and into another container. They should last the week in different sealed container.

Neapolitan style is thin crust and every time I've had one it's been a single serving pizza. 3c flour is generally what I use for a 14" "thick crust" pizza.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MisterOblivious posted:

Yes and no. Tomatoes and open cans don't get along. You need to transfer those out of the can and into another container. They should last the week in different sealed container.

Neapolitan style is thin crust and every time I've had one it's been a single serving pizza. 3c flour is generally what I use for a 14" "thick crust" pizza.

Would a Tupperware container suffice?

Also, I only used 4 oz of flour for that dough, so yeah...definitely not enough for two people. We were hungry pretty much right after dinner.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Tupperware should be fine. Really you shouldn't store any food in an opened can in the fridge but the acidity of tomatoes does bad things to the can. I'm not sure if lined cans make a difference but it's a good habit just to transfer things out.

That recipe looks to be for 4 people. I can see why you guys were still hungry!

Laureh
Oct 8, 2012
I started out using parchment paper and the silicone on it leached onto my stone. After a few times I noticed the stone looked like it had a waxy coating and I checked on the box and the paper (Wilton) is only rated to 450F. I feel like my stone is kinda ruined since one of the purposes of it is to absorb moisture leaving a super crispy crust and now the shiny black areas are sealed up on the surface:

I liked the way the crust turned out on the paper (mushroom pesto with mushrooms):

I do have a peel now but I can't stand the mess of cornmeal so I just use flour. It's not a problem but I'm considering using the garage sale stone inside for my good stone using the now silicone impregnated one outside on the grill :(
(artichoke pesto)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This is gonna sound super crazy, but......can't you just flip the stone over?

Edit: I would totally eat the hell out of that mushroom pizza, holy poo poo. Mushroom pesto recipe?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Have you tried running that silicon stone through an oven cleaning cycle? I've never had that problem, and I've always cooked pizzas on parchment paper at 500 degrees on my stone...

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Made two pies + garlic knots

The one on the left is olive oil base, sliced potatoes, caramelized onions, ground venison/bacon, asiago/parm mix. It was a bit on the heavy side.

The one on the right is olive oil base, garlic, tomato, mozzarella, and cracked pepper. It was perfect. The crusts were a bit thicker than I would have liked, but it's been some time since I've tossed a pizza.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

EDIT: also don't feel like you need to stick with recipes that are specifically for "beer crust", you can use basically any pizza crust recipe and just use beer instead of water. Also if the recipe calls for sugar, you can cut that out if you're using beer.
Thanks! I used the no-knead recipe off the first page again—with Killian's Irish Red. For some reason, it didn't rise until I threw in some extra sugar. I don't know what I did wrong, but it worked after sugaring it a bit, so happy ending!

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Unfortunately, I made one false move as I dropped it in the oven (I don't have and can't find a baking peel, so I use a regular cutting board), and it partially caved in. I salvaged it (the other half was still edible but malformed), but the stone's already a bitch to clean. :smith:

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

CloseFriend posted:

Thanks! I used the no-knead recipe off the first page again—with Killian's Irish Red. For some reason, it didn't rise until I threw in some extra sugar. I don't know what I did wrong, but it worked after sugaring it a bit, so happy ending!

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Unfortunately, I made one false move as I dropped it in the oven (I don't have and can't find a baking peel, so I use a regular cutting board), and it partially caved in. I salvaged it (the other half was still edible but malformed), but the stone's already a bitch to clean. :smith:

Looks good! As far as cleaning the stone:

1.) Light it on fire
2.) Brush off
3.) South Park reference!!