Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bytebark posted:

It's surprising how many big cities don't have rail transit access to their airports. I don't even think NYC has direct rail access to either airport. You have to get on a bus and then transfer to a subway at a later stop.
We only got subway access to MIA last month. I think the Amtrak/Tri-Rail commuter station at the airport will open in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

This is without question the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone do in YouTube video. I'm betting he crawled under when the train was moving more slowly but lost his nerve when he went to crawl out. By the time this guy started telling him he could make it he was probably so high on adrenalin he wasn't thinking straight. Saying he should have waited seems obvious but if there was a pusher (unlikely on an intermodal but possible) or a piece of low hanging air line or something he would have almost certainly been killed.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2211647/Moment-dozy-freight-train-driver-took-quick-snooze-wheel-caught-camera.html

Believe or not, this is a popular national newspaper.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You might want to describe the kind of person it's popular with.

Also, UK goons:

Dave's mate posted:

Does anyone know a systems engineer who can manage the reliability and engineering change process for several integrated electronic systems on a train?
Northamptonshire area, drop me a line should it be relevant to you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/15021656/power-lines-down-in-train-chaos/

quote:

Passengers endured a terrifying few minutes when a downed power line crashed into their city-bound train this morning, slamming against a window and sending people ducking for cover as they feared the windows could smash.

The power line and supporting poles were ripped out as the Joondalup line train continued along the track for about a kilometre after becoming tangled in the line.

Debris showered vehicles travelling along the freeway.

This started an argument on IRC.
Without mains power, could the train apply dynamic brakes? My argument was that they'd need live power to drive the fans to cool the resistor banks.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But surely they'd design it to take account of such an obvious issue? Dealing with power failure in an electric train has to be in the specs somewhere?

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
Modern electric MUs have two circuits - High voltage (600v, or whatever the wire/third rail is powered at), and low voltage. The low voltage circuit is fed through an inverter (or sometimes a motor-generator) coming off the high voltage circuit and varies depending on the car's design. In the cars I work on, it's usually between 32v and 40vDC. What the low-voltage inverter (or M-G) does is feed a bank of batteries under the car, which themselves supply the power for non-propulsion systems within the car.

The purpose of having the low-V circuit tied in with batteries is to give the operator control when the high-V has no electricity in it, for a short while after the feed from the high-V circuit stops. This is accomplished by powering the propulsion control system with low voltage, but the actual motors run off of whatever voltage the wire is. Basically everything in the control stand on an EMU is low-voltage (which is the best way to do it anyway, because in the old days, with hi-V control stands, operators would periodically get "bit" by line voltage, via frayed wiring).

bytebark fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Oct 3, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The pantograph arm broke off the top of a LRT train as I was riding on it a few years ago (the "U2" style listed here). After the loud smashing sound and loss of lights in our car, the operator hit the brakes and stopped just after a major level crossing. Braking seemed normal, except perhaps the other 2 cars were the ones doing all the work.

Public transit authority had absolutely no idea what was going on and took forever to get us onto emergency buses and on our way from there - ended up late to a final exam as a result. A few weeks later it happened again with a different train.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 3, 2012

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Without mains power, could the train apply dynamic brakes? My argument was that they'd need live power to drive the fans to cool the resistor banks.

By no means a subject matter expert, but my understanding is that without excitation current, there can be no dynamic braking. Cooling of the resistor stack becomes moot.

I'm certain that electric trains still use pneumatic brakes, so stopping the trainset is independent of electical supply.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Falkenbok posted:

By no means a subject matter expert, but my understanding is that without excitation current, there can be no dynamic braking. Cooling of the resistor stack becomes moot.

I'm certain that electric trains still use pneumatic brakes, so stopping the trainset is independent of electical supply.

From what I have seen transporting the new Metro North cars from Lincoln NE to points east, they still use regular old air brakes. Plus the main air tank still holds air for some time, so there is redundancy.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

~Coxy posted:

On EMDs the dynamic brake fan is powered by the same source as the resistor banks.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

What a mess. How do they clean that up? Just... pick them up with a crane, put em back on the rails and hope they move again?

They put them back on the rails, check to see that they roll, and then gently, using another locomotive, haul them someplace as nearby as possible, where people can fiddle and inspect all over them.

After that they are sometimes put into another train and hauled dead, other times they load them onto specially made cars to be hauled like lading.

example

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 4, 2012

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That pic looks really familiar. Is that the stretch of track that runs between Chatsworth and Northridge?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
:nws: Not Work Safe :nws:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f98_1349315120

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Reminds me of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wEhZqLiQ60&t=767s

whole episode is worth watching.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
gently caress me, man, I'm amazed that I haven't found this thread already. I've worked for two railroads (Dallas, TX and Williams, AZ), and I absolutely love these machines.

As someone who has operated the old F40s several times, I can safely say that all the rumors you hear about how awesome they are are understated. They're better when they're left in the original EMD specs.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Edit: I cant edit images.. brb.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Really, I was joking about Amtrak Intermodal guys.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The only reason I know about this thread is because B4Ctom1's post about the derailment/collision a few pages ago was recently linked in the SA Quotes thread a while back. Anyway I was idly browsing imgur tonight and saw this, and I thought this might be the one place that appreciates it. It's not a locomotive, it's a grain car, but with artwork on the side:

:nws: Thumbnailed due to painted buttocks:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
This thread also might appreciate this video I posted in a YouTube thread. A motorcyclist installs a Leslie RS5T on his bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWy8OqbqvcM

Tex Avery posted:

As someone who has operated the old F40s several times, I can safely say that all the rumors you hear about how awesome they are are understated. They're better when they're left in the original EMD specs.

Coincidentally, I notice that Steam just added the "Screaming Thunderbox" to its Train Simulator add-ons.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The only reason I know about this thread is because B4Ctom1's post about the derailment/collision a few pages ago was recently linked in the SA Quotes thread a while back. Anyway I was idly browsing imgur tonight and saw this, and I thought this might be the one place that appreciates it. It's not a locomotive, it's a grain car, but with artwork on the side:

:nws: Thumbnailed due to painted buttocks:

Thats seriously the best tagging I've ever seen on a railcar, and I don't just mean that in the 'hurr, hotbabezz' goony way, but actual like painting.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Come the next big Steam sale, I'm on that. There used to be a freeware F40PH addon that I had trouble getting to work after a while.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
drat, that's some quality artwork.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

This thread also might appreciate this video I posted in a YouTube thread. A motorcyclist installs a Leslie RS5T on his bike:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWy8OqbqvcM

Coincidentally, I notice that Steam just added the "Screaming Thunderbox" to its Train Simulator add-ons.

I'm going to demand a refund if I don't want to blow my brains out after two hours. New Year's Day of 2011 was the coldest day on record in Williams, AZ, in quite a while. I was fireman on the regular train up to Grand Canyon, and the car we had that generated HEP for the train took a poo poo not too far out of Williams. My engineer and my conductor made the decision to fire up the onboard HEP gen on the F40 we were in and I got to spend the next two hours listening to that stupid thing scream all the drat way to Grand Canyon.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Tex Avery posted:

I'm going to demand a refund if I don't want to blow my brains out after two hours. New Year's Day of 2011 was the coldest day on record in Williams, AZ, in quite a while. I was fireman on the regular train up to Grand Canyon, and the car we had that generated HEP for the train took a poo poo not too far out of Williams. My engineer and my conductor made the decision to fire up the onboard HEP gen on the F40 we were in and I got to spend the next two hours listening to that stupid thing scream all the drat way to Grand Canyon.

Did you make this?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

So wait, do F40s just stay at max rpm all the time?

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

ijustam posted:

So wait, do F40s just stay at max rpm all the time?

I believe they do because they are providing electricity to all of the passenger cars.

F40 meh the F45 was much more awesome.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
F40PH + F45 = F40C

Metra F40C

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Doesn't Tri-Rail operate F40Cs too? I remember riding it when they still had their green and white liveries instead of that Palm Beach photo wrap thing they have going now. It looks like the SunRail service for the farther north areas of Florida is using the same push-pull system too.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Is that why Amtrak seems to always have 2 locomotives on long-distance routes? One for moving power and another for HEP?

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis

Zeether posted:

Doesn't Tri-Rail operate F40Cs too? I remember riding it when they still had their green and white liveries instead of that Palm Beach photo wrap thing they have going now. It looks like the SunRail service for the farther north areas of Florida is using the same push-pull system too.

Tri-Rail has some funny F40PH copy (built by Morrison-Knudsen), which appears to be comprised of F45 parts grafted onto a GP40 frame. So it shares the same cab as an F40C, but isn't a six-axle locomotive.

Until they were mothballed a couple weeks ago, Metra's last two F40Cs were the only six-axle passenger units still in regular service in the lower 48.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

Hey, it's the foamer anthem!

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
There's no tender on the engine.

Am I supposed to believe that a 0-6-0ST engine is being used for passenger service?

This video is a tissue of lies! :mad:

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Hilarious yes. But the foamer anthem is the song "Great Big Rollin' Railroad" written by Bill Fries, aka C. W. McCall, whose best known hit is the truckers song "Convoy", from 1976.

Here is the performance version of the song. It made it up the charts in 1978
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMI2wJWSiLM

Here employees sing it badly in a cool old 70's commercial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRLCUjCVBGI

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ijustam posted:

Is that why Amtrak seems to always have 2 locomotives on long-distance routes? One for moving power and another for HEP?

I'm sure HEP is part of it. Running HEP sets the engine of a Genesis locomotive to 900 RPM and doesn't allow it higher or lower (cutting maximum power output by 500kW) and then can take 10-30% of the reduced power output to feed the train cars. Even still I think that has more to do with needing the extra power from the second engine to give reasonable acceleration out of stations and maintain 50-80mph speeds up grades. Some long distance routes like the Texas Eagle run a single locomotive but it is a pretty darn flat route. From when I lived in Virginia you could certainly tell that the Crescent and Cardinal would pull out of the station much faster than the Northeast Regional and VRE. The things you notice when waiting for the drat Metro to finally show up...

I also read somewhere that CSX requires Amtrak to run two engines on the long routes so that if one craps itself the train can still proceed. That could be BS though.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The Canadians are really mean to their crew callers..... I wish I could get away with half the crap these two videos do... Don't play this loud at work or around small children.

http://youtu.be/UakdYcUIWCo

http://youtu.be/KUZEa9PN28s

Been out on the ski-doos and drank 5 million thousand gallons of whiskey...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Shifty Pony posted:

I also read somewhere that CSX requires Amtrak to run two engines on the long routes so that if one craps itself the train can still proceed. That could be BS though.

I thought it was so they could flat-spot the wheels and do twice the damage to the rails per run.

I mean, this is CSX we're talking about...

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Ah, CSX. The biggest collection of brilliant people who can't run a railroad.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Brother Jonathan posted:

Wait...I thought CSX was the good east coast Class 1 and NS was the bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

Amtrak runs quite a few trains on CSX's Albany Division, but the only one I've seen with two engines is #48 running between NYC, Albany & Chicago. The regional trains running between NYC and Toronto, Albany & Boston only run a single engine, though they're only pulling about half the cars of #48. A regional breaking down on the main would pose just as big a headache as a long-haul, so I don't think it could be that.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Warren Buffet posted:

If I wanted to buy a circus, I'd invest in the Ringling Brothers.