Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8EJWKTSvio

I kind of wish the posters of the "we purchased a nightmare puppy from hell and have no idea what we got ourselves into" saw this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

wtftastic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8EJWKTSvio

I kind of wish the posters of the "we purchased a nightmare puppy from hell and have no idea what we got ourselves into" saw this.

"Gee what a good dog I bet they are easy and great for infant children." :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Kerfuffle posted:

"Gee what a good dog I bet they are easy and great for infant children." :downs:

"Why is it ripping things apart. This is not what I was promised."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Shifty Pony posted:

All dogs are Puppy at heart. I also will call anything Bud if it seems friendly.

All puppies are "puppy" and all girl dogs are "miss lady/miss lady ma'am." Hounds are called "hollers" and anything bully is a "hoglet" or just "pig." All older, good-natured male dogs can be called "Uncle." All younger male dogs who don't have any immediately mock-worthy features can be "Bud" or "Buddy."

For some reason I find calling any adult dog "puppy" deeply offensive. :catstare:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Superconsndar posted:

All puppies are "puppy" and all girl dogs are "miss lady/miss lady ma'am." Hounds are called "hollers" and anything bully is a "hoglet" or just "pig." All older, good-natured male dogs can be called "Uncle." All younger male dogs who don't have any immediately mock-worthy features can be "Bud" or "Buddy."

For some reason I find calling any adult dog "puppy" deeply offensive. :catstare:

-How to tell you're from the southeastern US in 3 easy steps.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

lmao :iamafag:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pew! Pew! posted:

:colbert: I'm from the SE US and I call the adult dogs puppies all the time. Also, all older male dogs who's name I don't know are "Heya old fella", not Uncle.

And if you're gonna call a girl dog miss lady ma'am you have to hear Trusty say it in the back of your head while you do it (it always happens)

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
All dogs are Puppy or Booger. Except Quaffle, he is Stinky (that is the name he answers to).

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Everything just get described, called Poopsie or "you terrible/useless/pointless animal". My Budgie's name is Tiny Bird and everytime I visit my Dad I insult his dog.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The dogs think "Who the gently caress did that?" means "go lay down". It can be said like "refridgerator" in plain, normal talk and they will all race to slam down on the beds. I take this as proof that they're all guilty about somefuckingthing.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The dogs think "Who the gently caress did that?" means "go lay down". It can be said like "refridgerator" in plain, normal talk and they will all race to slam down on the beds. I take this as proof that they're all guilty about somefuckingthing.

The magic phrase in our house is "Do you see that?" It can be said in any tone, at any volume and everyone darts for the nearest doghouse or crate and puts themselves as far inside it as they can go. Because if someone does a thing, the first words spoken are usually "DO YOU SEE THAT!? DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU DID."

I have honestly used it to get everyone to crate up faster before because effort.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
All beagles are called bagel dogs.

I'm pretty sure I call Max "pooch" or "poochums" more than I call him by his actual name.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Superconsndar posted:

I have honestly used it to get everyone to crate up faster before because effort.

Sometimes if Major is driving me up the wall (lol cattle dog mixes) I ask him if he wants to take a shower and he magically disappears into his crate for up to 30 minutes. He only gets a bath about once a year and I have never once mentioned the shower before making him have a bath but he has somehow connected the two.

All dogs are "buddy" or "pup" except for poodles who are all Mr. Poodleman. Fat dogs are all "fatty chunk" even if their owners are right there listening. Shouldn't let their dogs get so fat if they didn't want it called fatty :colbert:

This puppy is a fatty chunk but I want one so bad. If only I had more money/hours in a day.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Similarly, I call all horses "ponies" regardless of size. Also most of them get called "booger" and then get lots of nose kisses and ear scritches.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Pew! Pew! posted:

As a South Carolinian I'm insulted by that! Super left off the all-important "ol' girl/gal" for the past working age female dogs.

Super, from that Cattle Dog youtube:

You know what you need to do. You can tell Moses that you are training him to push Frankie off a pier if it will keep him from :qq: too hard.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
I was home sick today so I tortured the dog by making peanut butter crackers on the couch. Right next to her.

Guess what you can do? 1, Deal with it and 2, LEAVE IT.

Dog status: sighing deeply

Also, all lady dogs are Miss Ma'am. All young male dogs are Bud or Buddy, and all old male dogs are Mister, sir, or old man. Puppies are pup-pup or pupkins. Or,

Pew! Pew! posted:

Basically.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

All dogs are either "pup" or "ol' pup," depending on the amount of grey on the muzzle and/or how much they hobble around. I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't seem to agree with this nomenclature.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I approve of your choice of peanut butter. It is my favorite. Shadow gives me the "um, ew, no thanks" look if I try to give him peanut butter. He's broken.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I love that that peanut butter claims to be "fun to eat". I've debated getting that brand because of the cute monkeys but never went through with it because I get unfun sugar free kind.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Peanut butter gives my dogs the shits.

The end.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I wasn't going to derail for this but since it came up, that peanut butter is the best but the absolute winner is their "white chocolate wonderful" flavor. Heaven. Sometimes I share with Good Dogs. Usually they get the plain ground peanuts no-brand kind with nothing added but butterball Keeper likes the sweet stuff best, as do I, so we get the White Chocolate Wonderful as a treat on rare occasions.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!
:swoon: That sounds delicious, I've never had that one. Usually I go for their Dark Chocolate Dreams if I want a decadently sweet one, but next time I'll have to try that instead.

Savannah loves peanut butter but she usually only gets the super-plain no sugar added stuff, and rarely at that, because she has a picky princess sensitive stomach. Sucks to be you dog, peanut butter owns :(

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keeper's name literally used to be Peanut Butter and he would gently caress all your mothers blind for a jar of that White Wonderful stuff.

I'm not kidding. I obey leash laws for your safety, not ours.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

The neighbors behind me had their giant hound dog out at around 1 am last night and he started barking his head off. I woke up when I heard barking, and barking that sounded closer. I sprang up, figuring maybe there was someone in the apartment and Bailey was woofing at them from his crate, but I got out there and he was silent and there was no one there. I just told him to sush, looked out the windows to see if there were other dogs and went back to bed. I didn't hear Bailey bark again, but its really weird, he usually doesn't bark at all inside.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

quote:

Hi we're thinking about breeding our 15month old Bichon Frise bitch, Bella next year some time to let her experience birth. We want to find the right stud for her.

:ughh:

Andddd people on facebook are offering her advice like 'hey look at pets4homes or epupz to find a stud lol'. Why would you want to breed a dog to let them ~experience birth~, idgi

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

As a South Carolinian I'm insulted by that! Super left off the all-important "ol' girl/gal" for the past working age female dogs.

I also say "Old Dan" for older male hunting dogs. Also Bud/Buddy, but sometimes I'll call big friendly dogs "vicous" or "killer". Never said "old girl" though, but I grew up in northeast Georgia. Dunno how regional that is.
My boyfriend likes to call big friendly dogs "Big Stupids", as in "Imma alpha roll you, you big stupid."

I'm living in SC too. Cool. :3:

Speaking of which and not related to regional speak, I'm gonna get to watch my uncle go hogging this weekend! :toot: They're using staffies I think, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him next time I call. I'll try to take a bunch of pictures.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Fraction posted:

:ughh:

Andddd people on facebook are offering her advice like 'hey look at pets4homes or epupz to find a stud lol'. Why would you want to breed a dog to let them ~experience birth~, idgi

Well every female dog wants to experience breech delivery of a stillborn puppy, duh.

Dogs literally do not care about reproduction in the manner that we do, they don't think of the miracle of life its, "oh hey time to reproduce to perpetuate my genes/species, I guess" and then they pop out a liter of puppies and are miserable because puppies are assholes and then the puppies leave and then they can do it again!

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
All dogs are pup or pupper dupper, depending on the friendliness of the dog in question.

My apartment complex has a "dog park" in it, which is basically just an area surrounded by a chain link fence where you can let your dog run around a bit. I decided to torture poor Dixie by stepping out of the gate while she wasn't looking and walking outside the perimeter. She couldn't figure out how I did the incredible "you're over there, I'm over here" trick and ran after me whining.

Dumb dogs are so entertaining, and god bless my doodle bug, she's pretty drat dumb and super easy to fool. Seeing as she's a broken lab who won't play fetch (what kind of retarded lab doesn't like to fetch?), I have to find some way to make her run around while outside, and taunting her from the other side of the fence by running around it going "Oh man there's so much poop and squirrels and dead things out here imma roll in them all while you're stuck inside!" is the best way to get her exercise.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Just a genetics question- are the genes for ticked coat dominant to a lot of other coloration genes? I'm increasingly convinced that Bailey is part hound (maybe a few generations back?) part ACD because he's got a very houndy attitude and his ears are not as pointy and his face not as angular. Its also possible he's just a BYB ACD.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ticking and roaning are dominant to unticked but the dog needs to have white for them to show up and all the white markings are recessive to solid colored (or they have a weird partial dominance thing, people aren't sure). You can learn more about coat color genetics here. Can you post some pictures of him? I seem to remember him looking pretty cattle doggy.

vvv Oh yeah, I could see byb beagle or something. Those ears especially seem to have a touch of hound and he has such a soft, sweet expression :3: vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 10, 2012

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Ticking and roaning are dominant to unticked but the dog needs to have white for them to show up and all the white markings are recessive to solid colored (or they have a weird partial dominance thing, people aren't sure). You can learn more about coat color genetics here. Can you post some pictures of him? I seem to remember him looking pretty cattle doggy.

http://imgur.com/a/RHHhc

I hope those work! There's no good profile shot, but I think he's got a much more friendly face than a lot of cattledogs.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

PeaBeeJay posted:

Are the sedatives at least keeping her ... uh, sedate? My dog had surgery to repair his ACL in July and the painkillers he was on immediately afterward were supposed to have a sedative effect, but they did the opposite and made him manic. He was on a bad drug trip. :catdrugs:

Yeah, in fact she just looks pretty stoned most of the time. Her response time is super slow, which means I can't really keep her occupied by teaching her new things since that feels kind of mean. "Hey dog, learn this thing while you're out of it and drooling on yourself." I kept her with me for most of my appointments yesterday and she slept in the car a lot when she wasn't trying to clamber over the seats to see out. I'm also letting her tear apart a lot of empty cardboard paper towel tube dealies.

Duuuuuuuude...

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
Does anyone have a favorite DIY agility course plan or an affordable kit? I have a 2-acre yard now (not even including the horse pastures!) and I want to build one to play with the pups on. I've found a lot of plans online but I'd like to hear opinions of anyone who has done it firsthand. I'm very handy and have pretty much any tool I could need, so I'm OK with complexity.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Most animals have no concept or understanding of pregnancy, because how could they, so they basically don't know what's happening until OUCH OH poo poo and a baby falls out. Some of them are then horrified by the appearance of a new animal and immediately eat/stomp the poo poo out of/tear apart the baby.

The joy of natural motherhood~

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

wtftastic posted:

Well every female dog wants to experience breech delivery of a stillborn puppy, duh.

Dogs literally do not care about reproduction in the manner that we do, they don't think of the miracle of life its, "oh hey time to reproduce to perpetuate my genes/species, I guess" and then they pop out a liter of puppies and are miserable because puppies are assholes and then the puppies leave and then they can do it again!

Well you are obviously wrong and I've obviously denied my bitches of something they've been looking forward to all their life by spaying them. Perhaps it is I who is the bad dog lady!

Also, I could have sworn Bailey was a blue acd :stare:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

2tomorrow posted:

Does anyone have a favorite DIY agility course plan or an affordable kit? I have a 2-acre yard now (not even including the horse pastures!) and I want to build one to play with the pups on. I've found a lot of plans online but I'd like to hear opinions of anyone who has done it firsthand. I'm very handy and have pretty much any tool I could need, so I'm OK with complexity.

I looked into this ages ago and decided that this website looked the most helpful for a DIY project. My husband took over at that point, which means that we've had half assembled PVC pipes all over the house for months. So I can't really speak to the final product.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Captain Foxy posted:

OUCH OH poo poo and a baby falls out. Some of them are then horrified by the appearance of a new animal and immediately eat/stomp the poo poo out of/tear apart the baby.

To be fair, I understand the concept of pregnancy and this would probably still be my reaction.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

Most animals have no concept or understanding of pregnancy, because how could they, so they basically don't know what's happening until OUCH OH poo poo and a baby falls out. Some of them are then horrified by the appearance of a new animal and immediately eat/stomp the poo poo out of/tear apart the baby.

One of my mice did this exact thing night before last and I had to tear rapidly drying out birth sacks off of 7 babies while she ran around in total mouse terror from the things falling out of her butt. This is her third litter and she was a dumbass about the other two, too. She has only successfully raised 2 babies and that was only because I dumped another female in with her in order to force her to sit on them and let them nurse to keep the other female from getting them.

As soon as I cleaned off all of her babies from this litter, she bit holes in their chests, kicked bedding on top of them, and went and ate a carrot. The miracle of life.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love that some people think animals understand family values and sexual education like some little mouse professor comes along when they're all rowdy mouse teenagers and separates the mouse boys from the mouse girls to talk about condoms and tampons and gives them bags of flour to raise as pretend babies

Don't they understand that mice are taught abstinence-only education because of outrage from religious right-cheese mice groups? This is what happens!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I know that I've said it before, but I gotta remind you guys, my cousin believes that neutering is immoral and literally bought her 13 year old chihuahua a weim/GSD puppy to be his bride and plans on finding spouses for any puppies she decides to keep. :shepface:

And no incest because dogs know that's icky right?

• Locked thread