Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I had a chick stop right after taking the right in a keep moving lane. I was already leaned over for the corner and just laid on my horn and increased my lean to pass her on the right since braking was out of the question. The crazy bitch pulled over to try and block me, I couldn't have stopped so as far as I was concerned she was trying to kill me. I had the dirt wheels with knobbies on the bike and the shoulder is gravel, I managed to get to the shoulder and around her. I didn't even feel sorry for ripping my throttle open and roosting the hell out of that Prius.

Before people start bitching, she had absolutely no reason to stop in the middle of a keep moving lane. There was also an F350 with a trailer behind me, so an emergency stop might have nuked me. Whether it was the right call or not I made a fast decision and fully committed to it, because it was the only decision that seemed viable in that short amount of time. The roost was less intentional and more a result of not wanting to be anywhere near such a lovely driver.

I don't know why anyone would bitch about this. Sounds like you were in the right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yeah, seriously gently caress that woman and her paint job. I find it terrifying how car drivers can justify attempted murder for the merest of sleights, perceived or otherwise. Something about being in that little windowed capsule does something to their brains or something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, and don't expect quality snap responses from Prius drivers. Besides, drivers who are already doing something inexplicable and dumb rarely follow up with anything better. She may have panicked and tried to pull on the shoulder so you could pass on the left. All that matters is that you got by and that she's far, far behind.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Saw this parked outside my apartment complex and stared at it for a few minutes trying to figure out how it turns. The handlebars are touching the tank in this picture and the shifter/footrest is about an inch or two off the ground.

It also says "Redneck Rocket" on that silver oval thing by the rear tire.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the guy just REALLY likes to scrape pegs.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Or the bar is a straight shot from his house.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

americanzero4128 posted:

trying to figure out how it turns.

It turns slowly and carefully like any hard tail framed motorcycle. Wrap your mind around that!

I think that's got a better lock-to-lock steering range than the Uly even with the tank/bar interference. Makes me wonder how much you think you have to turn the handlebar...

Honestly it looks like a fun little thing from here, nice find.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

It turns slowly and carefully like any hard tail framed motorcycle. Wrap your mind around that!

I think that's got a better lock-to-lock steering range than the Uly even with the tank/bar interference. Makes me wonder how much you think you have to turn the handlebar...

Honestly it looks like a fun little thing from here, nice find.

Yeah anyone who owns an Italian bike is looking at that and is envious of that generous steering lock. Is it just me though or are those front forks bent?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I like the replacement of brakes with Iron Crosses.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It bugs me that he's paid reasonable attention to detail on most everything and then he just has that ill-fitting clutch cable hanging there by zipties. Maybe it's a recent repair.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah anyone who owns an Italian bike is looking at that and is envious of that generous steering lock. Is it just me though or are those front forks bent?

I think it's just you, I checked it out in person again and it looked pretty straight.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
It's certainly not the worst chopper I've ever seen.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

front wing flexing posted:

It's certainly not the worst chopper I've ever seen.

Oh my God this.

That bike is downright sane and practical compared to some of the poo poo I've seen. poo poo with pegs all but scrapping the ground with ape-hangers higher than the human arm is long and a seat that demands your balls be made of steel or risk the worst pain of your life going over even the most miniscule imperfections in the road.

Probably why people who ride those always look so angry. :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I went looking for some MotoGP stuff on tumblr, and found this

quote:

Jorge …
I’ve a letter for you.
It’s written from the deepest of my heart.
It’s about a prince who’s actually an angel that god has sent into this world.
And about an ordinary girl who loves the prince secretly.
Jorge …
Have you ever think about it?
You’re born to spread loves and happiness in this world.
And also born to be loved by thousand women in this world.
Because you’re charming prince.
What else can i do ?
But, is it wrong to love you too?
You’re my prince lives in my own world.
Your face decorates my days ^^
your smile, can’t leave my mind for just a moment.

Your voice, keep hovering in my ears although i can’t see you .
Jorge …
Your laugh, always encorages me whenever i feel sad .
My prince Jorge ^^
i know we aren’t meant to be together.
I can’t hold you, i can’t see through your eyes.
I can’t barely hear your voice.
Sadly …
Even we haven’t met each other ..
i … The who’s dreaming all the day to meet you someday ..
Distance …
Time …
We’re separated by many things .
But i …
Keep praying .. So i can meet you ..
Hoping …
Beliving you.
I keep believing that we’ll meet someday .
Yes, someday Jorge.
You change my world.
You teach me so many things.
Hardwork ..
Spirit ..
Love ..
Is it okay if i love you?
Though it’s just one sided love.
Sad …
What else can i do Jorge?
What else????
Honestly i’m so angry angry angry angry >.<
but i can’t blame anyone ..
You live in the same world as me.
But still it’s only empty dream to be able to meet you.
I have no power, no power to catch you, to reach you ..
What should i do?
Everytime i think of you.
The more hurt my heart is people think i’m crazy :(
i should come back to reality.
As if you’re not real in this world.
Just a prince in the fairy tale.
I think they’re right, i’m crazy.
But, is it wrong to love you?
Although it’s impossible in this real life ..
I’ll always love you.
You’ve given me happiness just by seeing you from far far far far away Jorge.
You give me laugh….
you give me tears ..

I realize, not only me.
But many other girls will have the thought the feeling just like me.
I can’t be egoist for wanting you only by my side.
How someone like you can make my life turn up and down.
Maybe.. There’s someone in your heart.
But you can’t reveal your own feeling.
Maybe, you’re sad that you can’t live normally like the other men.
You keep endure it, you hold your feeling by yourself.
I’m sorry Jorge …
Although it’s egoist, but please endure it just for several years again.
When you’re no longer por fuera, rider of motogp, and you’ve a normal life
If that time comes ..
I will let you go ..
Someday i have to let you go ..
Let you run your life as normal people.
Having a date with your girlfriend ..
Even marrying that one very lucky girl .
Having family …
Beautiful kids ..

Become daddy ..
I will let you go from my heart someday ..
But for now ….
I’m sorry, i couldn’t do that …
I’ll keep thinking and loving you.
Even though i can’t love you like a real couple would do .
But the space in my empty heart is filled with you now.
It’s okay for me just admiring you from the pictures , videos.
Although this love isn’t ethernal love, but for living like this now, i think it’s okay.
I’m happy just for knowing you.
All the love that you secrectly have given to me, even without you realize it .
I’ll always remember and keep it inside my heart.
It’s okay for living a life like this.
You’re always be my prince.
And… Let me be your princess ^^
both of us live happily ever after in my fairy land.
And happy ending .
Yo te amo Giorgio

Well, at least it's to someone who exists.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Gems from this weekend's ride in Wisconsin (anyone else make it to the slimy crud run?):

"First thing I do when i get a new set of tires is a burn out for a good 5 - 10 minutes. Gets the roundness out of the profile of the tire."

Me:"You've been leaving oil puddles every time you park, have you checked your oil level at all this weekend?"
Guy: "Yeah I checked it on Thursday night before I left and put about a quart more then what the specs call for. It's OK my buddy told me it'll be fine, I'll just check it when I get home."

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
^^^ I don't have a palm big enough for my face.

Today I went and saw a Hyosung GT250R because the shithead listed it as a Ninja 250 on Craigslist. I asked him about it when I got there and he said he does it because no one called when it was listed as a Hyosung.

Some highlights include
- a loving vomit-worthy custom paint job on the tank inspired by, I'm guessing, the Godfather. It was so bad that I really couldn't tell.
- a 5 inch long gash in the seat that he stapled back together
- gas tank cap left open (it's been storming the last couple days)

He also said that it was twice as fast as my Ninjette and that "it's basically the same bike as the new Ninja, they just painted it differently." I wasn't brave enough to tell him how wrong he was, seeing as how it was parked in the middle of a ghetto yard surrounded by 4 guest houses that he was renting out. Getting stared down by 7 pieces of white trash doesn't make for the best buying atmosphere.

I also gave it a cursory once-over just because I was curious about the build quality (bad), at which point he took the opportunity to go inside one of his guest houses and scream at the tenants at the top of his lungs.

I told his sister to tell him I'd be right back with the money. I didn't go back.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

AncientTV posted:

^^^ I don't have a palm big enough for my face.

Today I went and saw a Hyosung GT250R because the shithead listed it as a Ninja 250 on Craigslist. I asked him about it when I got there and he said he does it because no one called when it was listed as a Hyosung.

Some highlights include
- a loving vomit-worthy custom paint job on the tank inspired by, I'm guessing, the Godfather. It was so bad that I really couldn't tell.
- a 5 inch long gash in the seat that he stapled back together
- gas tank cap left open (it's been storming the last couple days)

He also said that it was twice as fast as my Ninjette and that "it's basically the same bike as the new Ninja, they just painted it differently." I wasn't brave enough to tell him how wrong he was, seeing as how it was parked in the middle of a ghetto yard surrounded by 4 guest houses that he was renting out. Getting stared down by 7 pieces of white trash doesn't make for the best buying atmosphere.

I also gave it a cursory once-over just because I was curious about the build quality (bad), at which point he took the opportunity to go inside one of his guest houses and scream at the tenants at the top of his lungs.

I told his sister to tell him I'd be right back with the money. I didn't go back.

Do you have a link to this glorious Craigslist ad, and did you take any pictures when you were there that you can share to really show off how great this bike is?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
The only ads left are the ones where he doesn't state a make, he took the Kawasaki labeled one down:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/3321181404.html

I would've taken pictures of the bike, but I was honestly worried about my safety. Didn't want to draw any more attention than I was already.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

looks like 600.... 600 dollars worth of bike?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

oooooh 2009 motorcycle

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

opengl128 posted:

oooooh 2009 motorcycle

I've always wanted a 2009 motorcycle that looks like 600!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Ads like that, Craigslist should charge for every period.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor
Had a woman scream at me while filling up my tank. Apparently it is illegal for motorcycles to use a fuel pump if cars are waiting or there is a chance a car might need to use that pump in the near future.

I didn't say a word. I got on my bike after filling up, reset the odometer, then pulled off with a smile.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Wulframn posted:

Had a woman scream at me while filling up my tank. Apparently it is illegal for motorcycles to use a fuel pump if cars are waiting or there is a chance a car might need to use that pump in the near future.

I didn't say a word. I got on my bike after filling up, reset the odometer, then pulled off with a smile.

What the loving gently caress? On what planet does that make any kind of sense?

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

opengl128 posted:

What the loving gently caress? On what planet does that make any kind of sense?

She perceived I cut in front of her at the fuel pump and needed to bitch at someone. I already had my fuel cap off by the time she was pulling off the road. She passed two vacant fueling stations to pull in behind me, almost hitting my bike, then jumped out and started screaming.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

AncientTV posted:

What the gently caress is it with some people? Are they thinking they're really going to pull one over on some idiot or really believe their bike is SO NICE it just has to be seen in person?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Wulframn posted:

She perceived I cut in front of her at the fuel pump and needed to bitch at someone. I already had my fuel cap off by the time she was pulling off the road. She passed two vacant fueling stations to pull in behind me, almost hitting my bike, then jumped out and started screaming.

I'd probably have laughed in her face and given her the finger.

NSFW
This is me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Ponies ate my Bagel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 10, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A fellow CA poster and I took a ride out to New York and shared a metered parking spot while we had lunch. Both bikes facing the street, rear tires touching the curb. When we were getting ready to leave a girl from a nearby shop told us that on a state road that was considered double parking and, I guess, we were supposed to get two spots (and pay two meters) for two bikes.

Been googling this, can't find anything of the sort, found a lot of car drivers complaining about bikes taking up multiple spots instead of sharing

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Snowdens Secret posted:

A fellow CA poster and I took a ride out to New York and shared a metered parking spot while we had lunch. Both bikes facing the street, rear tires touching the curb. When we were getting ready to leave a girl from a nearby shop told us that on a state road that was considered double parking and, I guess, we were supposed to get two spots (and pay two meters) for two bikes.

Been googling this, can't find anything of the sort, found a lot of car drivers complaining about bikes taking up multiple spots instead of sharing

If there are two people in one car, both feed the meter. Just like at the drive-in.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I once got ticketed for sharing a space with a car, but of course the car didn't get ticketed, just me.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

slidebite posted:

What the gently caress is it with some people? Are they thinking they're really going to pull one over on some idiot or really believe their bike is SO NICE it just has to be seen in person?

It honestly seemed like he was trying to fool me into thinking it was a Ninja up until I started speaking bike jargon, then he just dropped the whole act. I fear for whoever may purchase that pile.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Snowdens Secret posted:

That might be the case in Bumfuck, Arkansas or something where there's plenty of parking and plenty of bored deputies hanging around, but I can't imagine it being the case in any decently sized city. Even the dumbest people (and cops) realize that two motorcycles in one spot means an extra spot for a car somewhere else, and when you put money in the meter you're basically renting the road space from the city, so it's your prerogative to do what you want with it. I do wonder if you both get tickets when the time expires, though.

Sounds like the girl was just spewing yet another variation of "if I can't do it you shouldn't be able to either."

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Snowdens Secret posted:

This would vary by city, I think, but in Seattle as many bikes can share a metered spot as can fit. At least for actual coin-op old-school parking meters, which we have very few of anymore.

Seattle now is mostly ticket-based, so you go up to the pay station for that block, put in the amount of time you want/money you want to get rid of, and print off a sticker that you must put on your headlight. In these areas (everywhere), two motorcycles must both pay. Which means me and a friend on our scooters pay twice what some rear end in a top hat in a Suburban has to pay.

I guess it's a difference between paying for the space and paying to park a vehicle.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I remember San Diego was ticketing for multiple bikes in a spot, then everyone started taking one spot per bike.

They stopped ticketing pretty fast after that. Not sure what they expected really other than more cash for a somehow always broke rear end city.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had no idea motorcyclists in Copenhagen were so privileged in regards to parking, compared to a lot of other places.

Parking is always completely free for motorcycles, the only thing we cannot do is park in an actual marked car parking spot. Doesn't matter much since we're allowed to park on every sidewalk, as long as pedestrians can still pass unhindered.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm surprised there's no dedicated motorcycle bays, they're everywhere in London and free to use everywhere but Westminster but conversely you can park for free in their secure underground car parks. It's surely in every right-minded city's best interests to promote motorbikes over cars?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm surprised there's no dedicated motorcycle bays, they're everywhere in London and free to use everywhere but Westminster but conversely you can park for free in their secure underground car parks. It's surely in every right-minded city's best interests to promote motorbikes over cars?

Bike bays are so overcrowded in London though, I feel like it could be done a lot better with just a little logic. In Dublin they subscribe to the 'if a double-wide pram can still get past, you're ok to park here' theory. It works perfectly, as you can essentially park at every lamp-post without obstructing anyone. Scooters are cocks when it comes to parking in London too, they don't understand that if a bike is leant on its sidestand, the rider will need a little bit of space either side to actually stand it up to get out. Gah.

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We're a car country. Motorcycles spots, when they are available, are usually in the worst parts of the parking lot where they couldn't squeeze in another dedicated car spot.

I've also started to notice that this is a big reason why I have so many problems with cagers. They seem to think motorcycles are solely out having a good time whereas they're out there commuting to work or getting to their kid's ball game.

Plus I live in central Florida where there are a lot of snowbirds and retirees. They see kids on bikes and their first instinct is we're out being irresponsible and stupid or something.

The only exception to motorcycle parking here are the motorcycle parking spots around the school I go to. All of them are right up next to the building, but still off the sidewalk. Sometimes a car will park in them, but they always get ticketed.

Actually, I've suffered the double-standard twice already. When I have been forced to park in a car spot I've had people tell me that they perceive that as incredibly rude and that I should park on the sidewalk or next to the building. Yet, if I do that, I get screamed at because it's not fair that I got such good parking and they had to park all the way in the back. :negative:

Oh! I got back from Gainesville yesterday. drat that was an experience - I was in the car with my fiancee but I'd love to take my bike up there. Lots of motorcycle parking, everyone is on bikes or scooters.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bondematt posted:

I remember San Diego was ticketing for multiple bikes in a spot, then everyone started taking one spot per bike.

They stopped ticketing pretty fast after that. Not sure what they expected really other than more cash for a somehow always broke rear end city.

Sounds very similar to when Melbourne city council was thinking of getting rid of motorbike footpath parking a few years back. Everyone who parked in the city rode in extra early and took a single car space each. Plan was scrapped that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Wulframn posted:

Oh! I got back from Gainesville yesterday. drat that was an experience - I was in the car with my fiancee but I'd love to take my bike up there. Lots of motorcycle parking, everyone is on bikes or scooters.

It's even crazier in August-September when it's a little warmer. I'm convinced the entire student body has a scooter.

• Locked thread