Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

fingerling posted:

Ninja edit.. Reason I'm leaning towards the Duke is also size. I'm around 190 cm at 100 kilos, and I'm not sure how amply the 400 single would go. And I love the idea of having hilarious power again - I'm jonesing for it!

I'm also 190cm, but 72 kilos. Height wise, I'm fine on my DRZ (E) SM. I'm also happy with the power, but then again the most powerful bike I've ridden is the GS500 I did my test on. The ER-5 and the CB400 also in my garage don't exactly top the HP charts.

I just love how light and flickable the DRZ is. Although it's down on power compared to my other two, the sprockets, grip and the single cylinder grunt mean that it feels like such a handful, and I love it.

Around town and short motorway janunts, it's fine. It's not the most comfortable thing but it's good enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Yeah, unfortunately now I need to kind of cater to my own comfort needs. First time in my life.. :(

I'm pretty sure I was looking at the 990 SuperDuke, as that's the only one for sale really in Australia. Of course (more than likely! :( )I could be wrong. They look like a brilliant bike though, semi naked.

I'll get a photo, just to be sure. This is pretty much what I'm after, and is one for sale for rather cheap.

Sorry for the terrible photo. :/

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
KTM! :)

SuperDuke Talk:

That's a tough choice.

Lately I've been imagining what it'd take to build an RC4:

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 1, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I basically got everything back together on my 625 SMC. I'm so excited.

Also, the light bulb in this headlight is absolute garbage. I have to find a better replacement.

Edit:
Looking at the part numbers for the shroud and light assembly, it looks like I have:

code:
Part Number: 	78014001000
Description: 	HEAD LIGHT CPL. EXC-EU 08
Retail: 	$73.51
Your Price: 	$62.48   (15% discount) 

Part Number: 	7800800100030
Description: 	HEAD LIGHT MASK BLACK 2005
Retail: 	$24.99
Your Price: 	$21.24   (15% discount) 
The part number on my mask is 780.08.001.000, but this is what shows up on Munn Racing's part search.
However, if the headlight is from an 08, I assume that the mask is also an 08, just black.

So, it looks like this will work:

SicassRacing.com posted:

45/40w S2 Halogen KTM Upgrade Bulb

Fits:
2005-12 KTM XC/XCW
2008-12 KTM EXC
2009-12 Husaberg

DOES NOT FIT:
2007 KTM EXC

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 1, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Can you not just pull the bulb(s) and take it into a parts store? That's what I always do when I'm not sure about a bulb. Though mine just take H4s now, so I dinnae need to worry so much

*edit* I've even pulled bulbs and other bits in the car park outside the shop. And that bike looks awesome. Rather jealous

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 1, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Orange Someone posted:

Can you not just pull the bulb(s) and take it into a parts store? That's what I always do when I'm not sure about a bulb. Though mine just take H4s now, so I dinnae need to worry so much

*edit* I've even pulled bulbs and other bits in the car park outside the shop. And that bike looks awesome. Rather jealous

I'm not too familiar with headlight bulbs, and I was puzzled by the fact that the bulb in the fixture was just a plain old incandescent light. So, I was not sure if a regular old halogen bulb from the local autoparts store would be compatible.

I already made one bad purchase, thinking that a generic 1.4 bar thermostat at Vatozone would fit. Unfortunately, KTM designed the radiator neck just a little differently, so that option won't work. Now I need to go return a $17 part.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Alright, two questions.

What is the max you guys would pay for a 2011 DRZ400SM? They're asking 8499. Keep in mind, this is a captive market. A WR250 is 9999 here. They have motarded KLX250s for 6500. Guam, by the way.

Second, they have a used one as well. Guy wasn't sure of the year and their system was down. Has been down at least twice, needs a new tail light (has the Edge assembly, and a turn signal is busted off) but has brand new plastics and a Yoshi exhaust. They want 4K and mileage is under 10K.

It kills me to pay that much for either...but gently caress I want one bad, and it's at least 18 months but probably 30 before I'm back in the states :/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a tough call. In the states, thats a $5K bike max with that damage. Being a 2011, that brings the price up, but its still the same bike as it was in 2005. I dont know anything about the Guam bike market, so I'll say that I'd never pay that here, but maybe in Guam thats reasonable

EDIT: Holy crap I never realized how small Guam is. Are you buying the only DRZSM on the island? That could obviously raise the price a bit.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 9, 2012

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

iwentdoodie posted:

Alright, two questions.

What is the max you guys would pay for a 2011 DRZ400SM? They're asking 8499. Keep in mind, this is a captive market. A WR250 is 9999 here. They have motarded KLX250s for 6500. Guam, by the way.

Second, they have a used one as well. Guy wasn't sure of the year and their system was down. Has been down at least twice, needs a new tail light (has the Edge assembly, and a turn signal is busted off) but has brand new plastics and a Yoshi exhaust. They want 4K and mileage is under 10K.

It kills me to pay that much for either...but gently caress I want one bad, and it's at least 18 months but probably 30 before I'm back in the states :/

If the used bike market is that crazy then as long as you don't wreck it you'll be able to sell it on for close to the same money when you're leaving. Think of it as long term rental with a big deposit.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Thats a tough call. In the states, thats a $5K bike max with that damage. Being a 2011, that brings the price up, but its still the same bike as it was in 2005. I dont know anything about the Guam bike market, so I'll say that I'd never pay that here, but maybe in Guam thats reasonable

EDIT: Holy crap I never realized how small Guam is. Are you buying the only DRZSM on the island? That could obviously raise the price a bit.

The 2011 is brand new, no damage. That's the 8500 one. The other one is an 09, with less than 10k on it but with the noted damage.

There's less than 15 total on the island, maybe less than ten. So een damaged I'm really considering that 09. Gonna go try and ride it today if the weather holds.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd buy the damaged one.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Well poo poo. The sprag clutch that I reinstalled in my 625 SMC is either going out, or really flaky. I was trying to crank it up today after having it sit at my brother's place for a week and it turned over several times, but wouldn't fire up. I attributed it to having barely any fuel in the tank. I filled up the tank a little and tried cranking it again and heard the starter motor spin freely and the engine didn't budge. I then tried kicking it over a few times and got it started.

Later, I was able to get the electric starter to fire up the bike, but dammit do I now know it to be completely unreliable. I'm really upset, and I guess I'll either be trying to replace the sprag clutch spring (see this thread: ADV Rider: Slipping starter clutch (Sprague) investigation and this: LC4 640 starter clutch fix ) or potentially ordering a new sprag clutch, although that is a very expensive part. This must be why the PO removed the electric starter.

In other news, I got my Highway Dirt Bikes handguards, mirrors, and top clamp and they are incredibly light weight. I can't wait to put them on. I also received a new radiator cap and the upgraded halogen headlight bulb I posted earlier.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
Where can I get another one of these?

Wheeling Cycle Supply is out of stock of the Zeta version and no one else seems to sell them for the DRZ. I can only find things to replace the whole clamp set. Is that going to be my best option?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can just buy regular bar clamps instead. I never ran one of those and the amount it reduces flex (if any) probably isn't that great on fat bars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd just skip it as well

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Also, something I never did but always meant to try was to put the key on the side bolts that clamp on the fork tube. The bracket always looked like it would fit perfect. You shouldn't do this if you're the type to leave a bunch of keys on your bike key ring but I always thought it'd clean up the dash nicely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did that on my DRZ, it works nice, and is less cluttered. Plus if you run aftermarket bars with a big bar pad the stock key location is tough.

You have to cut and drill the stock ignition bracket to mount it on the fork, but if you dont use a chainsaw, it looks pretty nice.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
These look interesting, i'm financially moribund at the moment but these are on my long term shopping list for the DRZ.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972833-wide-ratio-gears-but-no-six-speed/page__hl__wide%20ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VyQMO9_aU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Those are awesome and apparently really nice, but yeah they arent cheap, or trivial to install.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

echomadman posted:

These look interesting, i'm financially moribund at the moment but these are on my long term shopping list for the DRZ.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972833-wide-ratio-gears-but-no-six-speed/page__hl__wide%20ratio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VyQMO9_aU

That's really awesome that someone did that.

Of course, at 800 bucks a pop, you're pushing your DRZ into KTM territory, but hell, I had a fully modded out DRZ at one point :xd:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 13, 2012

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Woo, I got my Highway Dirtbike handguards installed along with mirrors, and everything's ready to go. I just need to get the inspection renewed.

Unfortunately, I appear to have broken the Halogen S2 lightbulb that I bought form sicass racing. I put too much pressure on the housing when I installed it. I looked around my local Autozone but I didn't see any S2 bulbs for sale. Do any of you guys know where you could find one?

Here are some pictures.

Highly impractical toy (foreground) highly practical daily driver (background).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aren't H2 and S2 bulbs largely interchangeable? Or will the H2 bulbs not make the correct pattern?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Aren't H2 and S2 bulbs largely interchangeable? Or will the H2 bulbs not make the correct pattern?

I never knew that. I'll have to look into it, but all the bulbs I saw at AutoZone were the style that has a connector on the back and screws into a housing, while the S2 bulb fits into a socket, and that socket screws into the reflector housing.

I'm tempted to get something like the trailtech HID light or one of their others, but in not sure how to determine if my charging system can handle it. Does anyone know how to figure this out?

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Thanks, I'll look into it!

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 16, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I know (I repeat I KNOW someone will be along shortly to sperg over this) but you can buy a HID kit from DDM for 35 bucks and put that in there in place of your bulb.

It'll pull less power than the stock light most likely, you won't need the 55w kit. It comes with a sort of cover to prevent ridiculous reflectance in the housing. I had one on the DRZ and it wasn't bad when properly aimed at the road and provided much, much better light than stock. Couldn't have been easier to hook up either.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd recommend going for a yellow tinted HID though. The white provides great light but black is almost invisible. I've come close to hitting morons at night because of it.

I've had both the DDM tuning and Hella setup and truthfully even though the module alone is $180 for the Hella enclosure, the projection is head over heels better than if I were to put even five DDM tuning ones on the front of my bike. I got mine with a fairing kit I bought from Z3n so I don't know the specifics of it, but it's comparable to my friend's 2012 VW GTI's HID's in terms of quality and luminance. The ballasts are fine, though!

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
What sort of range do people get on DRZSMs? My brother in law is about to pass his big bike test, which means he'll be on my sister's ER-5 and she'll be on my CB400. So I'll be on my SM and we're off on a trip in a few weeks. I'd really like to know how far until reserve and then the range on reserve.

The only time I've hit reserve so far was after about 60 miles, but the bike was brand new to me and I was having way too much fun ragging the poo poo out of it.

It is an -E, but google tells me it has the same 10-litre tank as the -SM.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003

JP Money posted:

I know (I repeat I KNOW someone will be along shortly to sperg over this) but you can buy a HID kit from DDM for 35 bucks and put that in there in place of your bulb.

It'll pull less power than the stock light most likely, you won't need the 55w kit. It comes with a sort of cover to prevent ridiculous reflectance in the housing. I had one on the DRZ and it wasn't bad when properly aimed at the road and provided much, much better light than stock. Couldn't have been easier to hook up either.

This is what I did with my X2 after the (stock!) 55W bulb melted the insulation off the wiring twice, blowing the fuse on my DRZ (both times *just* as I was getting home from a long ride). The headlight is already aimed pretty low and after trials with some friends the glare apparently isn't very bad. Of course I don't get to ride at night that often..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Orange Someone posted:

What sort of range do people get on DRZSMs? My brother in law is about to pass his big bike test, which means he'll be on my sister's ER-5 and she'll be on my CB400. So I'll be on my SM and we're off on a trip in a few weeks. I'd really like to know how far until reserve and then the range on reserve.

The only time I've hit reserve so far was after about 60 miles, but the bike was brand new to me and I was having way too much fun ragging the poo poo out of it.

It is an -E, but google tells me it has the same 10-litre tank as the -SM.

The E will probably get worse mileage than the SM, because it has the pumper carb, higher compression, higher flow exhaust, and hotter cams.

My SM will go about 80 or 90 miles before reserve.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtI1Lg3Px_8

Those "gloves" :psyduck:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The E will probably get worse mileage than the SM, because it has the pumper carb, higher compression, higher flow exhaust, and hotter cams.

My SM will go about 80 or 90 miles before reserve.

I have a uhh, -2 or -3 tooth sprocket in the back and when I have a full tank I get ~100 miles before I hit reserve. Once on reserve though I :spergin: and find the nearest gas station no matter what because I hate getting stranded.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
How difficult/easy would it be to check if the PO did the Loctite fixes on my DRZ? Can I get away with just some basic hand tools or will I need to buy anything special?

Also: What the hell, how do these things not fit? Do they even make another kind? My DRZ is an 07 SM, I thought that these were made to fit and all the pictures seem to show exactly that. It looks like my cut outs were put on the wrong side or the whole thing was bent the wrong way. I can't find anyone else online with this problem.

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 20, 2012

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Oh no. In my effort to determine my range, I was forced to fill the bike up and attempt to ride to empty.

I failed.

86.5 miles later, I roll back on to my driveway, still on primary. The full 5L petrol can on my back untouched.

On the one hand I know I can do 86 odd miles. On the other, I'd really like to know the actual range. Maybe I'll have to take her out again tomorrow. Secondary duty of working out how much the speedo is over-reading by has been mostly nailed down. I thought it was showing 50% extra. Seems it's closer to 33%. I'll check the odo in the morning.

Also, my street kit doesnae have a full beam, so I was definitely testing myself on some of those corners until I realised exactly how dark it had gotten and made myself slow down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

AkrisD posted:

How difficult/easy would it be to check if the PO did the Loctite fixes on my DRZ? Can I get away with just some basic hand tools or will I need to buy anything special?

Here's the whole CS loctite fix including instructions Including how to remove a loctite'd sprocket.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/540670-counter-shaft-sprocket-loctite-fix/page__pid__5147649#entry5147649

I'd say remove the tabbed washer and front sprocket nut, then if the sprocket won't budge without a gear puller, it's probably loctite'd on. Otherwise, you're almost done with the fix anyway --clean the splines and and some goop before reassembling.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Hadn't ridden my DRZ in a couple weeks so I rode it to work to make sure I don't glue up the carbs or run down the battery etc. Got to work and I of course try to park it without the kickstand down. :shepface:
Realize its tipping past where its supposed to but because drzs own its light at as a feather and I set it down slowly. I put it back up easily and check the damage, and there's just a hairline scratch smaller than half a cm on one of the bark busters. :arghfist::smug:

Sumos own :allears:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hadn't ridden my DRZ in a couple weeks so I rode it to work to make sure I don't glue up the carbs or run down the battery etc. Got to work and I of course try to park it without the kickstand down. :shepface:
Realize its tipping past where its supposed to but because drzs own its light at as a feather and I set it down slowly. I put it back up easily and check the damage, and there's just a hairline scratch smaller than half a cm on one of the bark busters. :arghfist::smug:

I managed to take off with my disc lock on the other morning in a rush to get to work. The bike ended up on its side on the road but similarly to you only a scuffed barkbuster. They were second hand anyway.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BotchedLobotomy posted:

The best part about supermotos is the worst part of dumping them is just the embarrassment

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AkrisD posted:

Also: What the hell, how do these things not fit? Do they even make another kind? My DRZ is an 07 SM, I thought that these were made to fit and all the pictures seem to show exactly that. It looks like my cut outs were put on the wrong side or the whole thing was bent the wrong way. I can't find anyone else online with this problem.

I thought of this post as I rolled my DRZ out of the garage this morning, and took a picture for you. Your guard looks like it actually may have been stamped backwards?

Here is what mine looks like:

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I don't have one of those, I guess I should buy one?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It helps, but my shifter still punched a hole through my case in a crash at the SM track. The units pretty thin. I think it could stand to be about twice as thick to do some real good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I thought of this post as I rolled my DRZ out of the garage this morning, and took a picture for you. Your guard looks like it actually may have been stamped backwards?

Here is what mine looks like:

That's what I was seeing elsewhere so I called WCC about it. They emailed Brian at thumpertalk and they're sending me a new one free of charge. Brian said he's never seen one like that in thousands of units. I'm really impressed with how quickly they resolved my problem and that all it took was a quick email to set things right. I'm more annoyed that I didn't check the fit before slathering them in adhesive :/

In regards to Spiffness' comment: Had you filed down that sharp edge on the backside of your shifter? You can see it in both mine and Jim's pictures. I figured better safe than sorry since I've heard about them still going through the case covers. I suppose the unit is pretty thin, but I think with a good amount of goop it should help with at least a forgotten kickstand drop.

• Locked thread