Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

insanityv2 posted:

in other news, cooley president is shameless

http://www.legalnews.com/ingham/1364918/

"Attorneys don't retire. They just hang on for dear life."

Thinking about making a motivational poster with this quote on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012
These walls are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. Enough time passes, you get so you depend on them.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
nm

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 4, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nm posted:

Dream Job.

Somebody has to defend the hobos living in garbage cans, and stop the math addicts from having their rights taken away.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

LordPants posted:

Somebody has to defend the hobos living in garbage cans, and stop the math addicts from having their rights taken away.

"I just need to see a few lines of it, man. Just a few lines. It just gets so bad. The craving. You can't just go off of Fermat's Last cold, you know? It's powerful stuff. You get these shakes and twitches, but the sweats. The sweats are the worst. This one time I tried a shitload of Nash just to make the sweats go away, but it didn't really help. The Nash didn't do poo poo, man. Optimal decision my rear end."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I always though the Count was into gateway drugs, like addition. But that motherfucker was into Fermat's Last Theory? poo poo is cold.

Sesame street is a hosed up place.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Edit: Wrong drat thread. Surfing SA while doing a memo is not a good idea.

On that note, why the gently caress is Legal Research and Writing graded on a curve?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

LordPants posted:

I always though the Count was into gateway drugs, like addition. But that motherfucker was into Fermat's Last Theory? poo poo is cold.

Sesame street is a hosed up place.

Right conclusion, wrong addiction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhpOsbVVjNs

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

stephelopholus posted:

"Attorneys don't retire. They just hang on for dear life."

Super old and deaf judges are the worst.

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.
I just heard from my old college roommate who I haven't talked to in years. He's currently enrolled in Chapman Law school and is apparently his grades are mediocre at best. Oy vey! Really wish I had found this thread earlier so I could have warned him.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

LordPants posted:

I gotta tell ya', when I was 10 I was the school Math Munchers champion. I loving owned that game. I was on track to be an engineer and everything. Then my life took a terrible, terrible turn. And now I put meth munchers in jail for way too long :(

Thanks for bringing up memories of a childhood now lost, jerk.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigHead posted:

Thanks for bringing up memories of a childhood now lost, jerk.

It starts with quoting Reddit, then ends with someone calling you a jerk.

I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Anybody in GR who wants to have an AWKWARD INTERNET MEETING, I'm going to the opening of the Mitten Brewing Co on October 25. I went to college with at least one of the guys who opened it. It's on Leonard St.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mr_cardholder posted:

I just heard from my old college roommate who I haven't talked to in years. He's currently enrolled in Chapman Law school and is apparently his grades are mediocre at best. Oy vey! Really wish I had found this thread earlier so I could have warned him.
He wouldn't have listened anyway.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I heard a court reporter and cop talking about Dragon Age during some down time. I...I didn't join in because I didn't want to look like an autistic manchild in front of colleagues in court.

When did I become what I swore I would never be :smith:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So you passed up an opportunity to get in good with courtroom staff? C'mon man, everyone knows bribing clerks, court reporters, and cops is the best way to make judges love you.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Next time I'll ask them to follow me to the bathroom and we'll trade magic cards and warhams

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I heard a court reporter and cop talking about Dragon Age during some down time. I...I didn't join in because I didn't want to look like an autistic manchild in front of colleagues in court.

When did I become what I swore I would never be :smith:

I'll bet the cop executed Loghain. Typical.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
ayo who else took the lsat today first timer here poo poo was rough

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
LSAT is easily, easily the most trivial and simple part of law school. get out while you can

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

terrorist ambulance posted:

LSAT is easily, easily the most trivial and simple part of law school. get out while you can
Yeah, the LSAT seems like a walk in the park now. Oh wow a three hour exam with word problems this is nuuuuuts. One eight hour in class Torts exam later...(to say nothing of the Bar.)

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

John Romero posted:

I don't know dude. My gpa is just brought down by idiotic gen-eds, I am much better in my major (polisci). I did a bunch of soul searching over the past semester and realized that nothing would make me as happy as making a go at this, I've always wanted to be a lawyer since I was little. I was planning on taking a year off anyways and I already have a job on a campaign and some other stuff going so that'll probably help me out.

My advisor said that if I can smash the LSAT I have a chance to get into uconn law which I think is a tier 2 or Quinnepeac which is not a t1 or t2 but I know like5 recent grads who had no trouble finding work

Not like in the late eighties when my cousin graduated college with C's, slept through law school, failed the bar like 4 times but now makes $800 k a year

Hope you smashed the Lsat, bro.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Well I was offered and accepted that job in foreclosure prevention that I posted about last week. I'm hoping it isn't a frying-pan-into-the-fire situation, although I can't imagine foreclosure work being worse than family law. Maybe more "boring" but I see that as a good thing after dealing with clients who think seeing the word "angel" on toilet paper is evidence that God exists, and one special lady who accused me of working for the opposing party 5 minutes after we met. Great relationship with that client.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Well I was offered and accepted that job in foreclosure prevention that I posted about last week. I'm hoping it isn't a frying-pan-into-the-fire situation, although I can't imagine foreclosure work being worse than family law. Maybe more "boring" but I see that as a good thing after dealing with clients who think seeing the word "angel" on toilet paper is evidence that God exists, and one special lady who accused me of working for the opposing party 5 minutes after we met. Great relationship with that client.

My experience is that they will think you are sent by god to provide them with a free house. Only helping folks with jobs and who can pay a minimal fee now.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

insanityv2 posted:

Hope you smashed the Lsat, bro.

holy poo poo dude how excited were you to go back and find that

It was fine. I did fine.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Solid Lizzie posted:

Yeah, the LSAT seems like a walk in the park now. Oh wow a three hour exam with word problems this is nuuuuuts. One eight hour in class Torts exam later...(to say nothing of the Bar.)

My LSAT was stretched out to about seven hours because of organization problems. A couple other lawgoons were there too.

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

John Romero posted:

ayo who else took the lsat today first timer here poo poo was rough

Good luck on getting a great score on the LSAT! I ended up taking it twice, which was pretty awful.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

My experience is that they will think you are sent by god to provide them with a free house. Only helping folks with jobs and who can pay a minimal fee now.

Eh, isn't this most clients in pretty much any area of law?

"Here's a lovely set of facts and I will be very difficult to work with, now go get me a million dollar settlement/not guilty verdict/sole custody/etc."

In family court I've gotten pretty used to lowering clients' expectations. My favorite situation was a client who had a horrible drug abuse/prostitution history and was living in a halfway house, yet she expected primary residence of her daughter. We eventually settled, giving her supervised visitation with the possibility of more time and unsupervised visitation if she made progress in her services, but now that I think about it given her history, maybe she was high when she told me she thought she could/should get the kid to live with her in the halfway house.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
i really love my job. i have to work really long hours but it finally feels good to wake up and go to work again

i'm keeping my fingers crossed about the bar

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

"Here's a lovely set of facts and I will be very difficult to work with, now go get me a million dollar settlement/not guilty verdict/sole custody/etc."

In family court I've gotten pretty used to lowering clients' expectations. My favorite situation was a client who had a horrible drug abuse/prostitution history and was living in a halfway house, yet she expected primary residence of her daughter. We eventually settled, giving her supervised visitation with the possibility of more time and unsupervised visitation if she made progress in her services, but now that I think about it given her history, maybe she was high when she told me she thought she could/should get the kid to live with her in the halfway house.
I did some pro bono work over the summer at a family law clinic and one of the observing attorneys was telling us how difficult it is to wrestle custody from mothers. Specifically, they would get primary custody even if they were coked-out corner prostitutes. Enter our next client, who lost custody of her kids due to cocaine abuse and a questionable job history. It was hard not to chuckle.

Solid Lizzie fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 7, 2012

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Sometimes you just take your lovely instructions and do your best and are pleasantly surprised. I've seen some pretty incredibly generous dispositions that just seem to be based on what side of the bed the judge rolled out of that morning

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
http://www.viafolly.com/2012/10/opened-letter-to-lawyerish-people.html

quote:

I Want to Go to Law School pass/fail for free and call it Art. I’d have five years to pass all required courses of a normal law student.

The National Endowment gave money to folks to do______. I will better be able to help people with a law degree. I’m not saying what those men and women did isn’t Art. I’m saying I can go to law school in a way that is equally artistic, and if a function can be ascribed to Art, which it can even if it’s only to not be functional, then isn’t enabling a person to help others more effectively a more valid function?

(...)

It cannot change the way it must to efficiently adapt to increasingly speeding up societies. What can be done to change the Law’s position with regard to Obsolescence? I mean this in the sense of Deconstructionist Cultural Hacking and I mean that in the sense of Art, but I mean all of it sincerely and with the respect of someone whose father was in the Army.

I could quote this entire post.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
In response to the above

quote:

quote:

That was the dumbest piece of pseudo-intellectualism I have ever read." --lawcorrection, Reddit

Thank you, lawcorrection. I needed that. I wrote looking also for your response. If you've had certain kinds of training and/or your intelligence manifests in particular ways what I wrote in that letter means one thing. It always also means other things too. All that I need to change to "make my point better" is style, and I do that by identifying audience. I knew that I was also writing to you, but you weren't my audience.

(...)

If you consider yourself well-trained and intelligent, you might find this argument insulting: I can extract the meaning from what I read. All I can say to that is anyone who really believes it doesn't fully understand the implications for the act of reading of either poetry or the twentieth century.

It would be difficult for a serious and talented and especially a serious-talented-yet-unsuccessful attorney to value my point because it would require him to temporarily devalue his life. Few people are willing to do that just to read some crap on the internet particularly considering the way it was written. I'm not angry or bitter. And certainly not surprised. I don't care about your reaction in the way I would have to if I were trying to get your vote.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

EvilJimmyCarter posted:

Managing client expectations is so important I'm floored law schools ignore the topic. (Well, I suppose you'd have to have a faculty member who's actually seen a real live client out in the wild before they could teach the course). I'd say probably 75% of the amount of effort I put into any case involves managing the client's expectations and trying to form some sort of professional bond with them so they don't lie to me so much.

I've seen clients get life sentences who thanked their defense attorneys for their efforts afterwards because those attorneys bothered to connect with the client and demonstrate they gave a drat about them.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

terrorist ambulance posted:

In fairness, the LSAT is arguably more important - get high enough and you don't have to care about your grades! :haw:

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

Managing client expectations is so important I'm floored law schools ignore the topic. (Well, I suppose you'd have to have a faculty member who's actually seen a real live client out in the wild before they could teach the course). I'd say probably 75% of the amount of effort I put into any case involves managing the client's expectations and trying to form some sort of professional bond with them so they don't lie to me so much.

I've seen clients get life sentences who thanked their defense attorneys for their efforts afterwards because those attorneys bothered to connect with the client and demonstrate they gave a drat about them.

Ha well this can be a double edged sword imo. I'm still "young and idealistic" as it were, so I generally do make an effort to give a poo poo and at least build a basic rapport with clients, but then when they end up filing another petition in 6 months they request me when they fill out the assigned counsel form (which I guess you can do in NY? Or maybe this is a local court thing). Even if I did a mediocre job, they "trust me." I mean, really, what kind of idiot would trust a lawyer. I do like it when a client actually tells the truth though.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Boxman posted:

get high enough and you don't have to care about your grades! :haw:

The same is true for law school too. :420: :420: :420: :350: :okpos: :350: :okpos: :420: :420: :420:

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Suitchat: buying my first real suit. Going with a charcoal Ludlow from J Crew.

I was asking the salesman about suit heuristics.

Salesdude: "Well, your knuckles should reach the bottom of the coat"
Me: "Ok"
"Salesdude: "And you should be able to put a flat hand in the jacket, but not a fist"
Me: "Ok"
Salesdude: "And it should be comfortable enough that you feel like you could get in a fight in it"
Me: "O...wait what?"
Salesdude: "Come on, man? Who doesn't want to fight in a suit?"

:stare:

He's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Do you have what it takes to be Top Associate?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/lgl/3313899550.html