Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Concerning the narration: given how Patrick Harlan's narration in the original RGM promo had the same kind of morning-radio-talk-show feel to it, I wonder if it's Stylejam who wanted it to sound like that. Or Bigger Boat was given the pitch and they went "oh, so this is kind of narration they want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Caitlin posted:

Imagine that RETRO GAME MASTER! voice clip on the title screen instead of Producer Kan. :smith:

I watched one of the episodes with the English narration. I didn't like it much, but I found that the key to enjoying it is imagining that it's actually Space Ghost narrating. I don't know why, but the voice just reminds me of Space Ghost.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I too did not really like the English language version, though obviously after watching so many SAGCCX subs I am just used to the Japanese voices. And to follow up with zari-gani's question from last week, other than the side segments missing, the DVDs feel exactly like the SAGCCX subs. The DVD collection is great and I am more than ready to pre-order Discotek's next Retro Game Master set.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
For some weird reason I had this idea that there was maybe like 8 episodes in the collection. I'm pleasantly surprised, especially with disc 2's bonus live challenge coverage. I wasn't expecting that, either.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I know Shiren the Wanderer has gotten some bad press as far as an episode goes, and the first bit of the episode (where I was saying 'they're seriously making him play a Roguelike?') was cringe-inducing. But two things, maybe three, saved the episode for me. One is that Shiren isn't a hardcore Roguelike; sure it's hard, but it is possible to carry things through after death, so it's possible for Arino to get a bit farther each time, as is his talent. The other is Emoto. The moment when Arino is expecting Emoto to scream at him, only to be given nothing but kindness, coupled with the beautiful music... well, it makes me want to cry happily, just a little.

(The third thing is: has the footage been expanded at all from its original form for the DVD? I never saw the original.)

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I just got on YouTube and saw this uploaded by GamingCX (it's that site that posts translated GCCX videos on YouTube). I don't know if it's old or what, but I don't recall anyone around here talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-fP9foRZUM

The description says "Subtitles by DarknessSavior", who I don't recognize. I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know how well it's translated, but I skipped through it and it seemed alright from what I saw.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The Fire Emblem series are the biggest dick games I've ever played.

They pull you in with all the neat battle system and interesting characters, then bam some cheap turn murders half your cool party members. :argh:

coffeebucket
Jul 26, 2011
I'm incredibly behind with this thread, but finding all these new videos feels like Christmas. Keep up the excellent work. Going back a couple of pages...

Random Stranger posted:

I really wish there was a way to hide the title on a YouTube video so I could just post it and see who could figure out what they're playing first.
SA's BBcode doesn't seem to allow arbitrary YouTube parameters, but throwing "showinfo=0" at the end of the embedded player does just that. (Warning: player will fill your browser window.)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Obeast posted:

The description says "Subtitles by DarknessSavior", who I don't recognize. I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know how well it's translated, but I skipped through it and it seemed alright from what I saw.

Explained a couple months back.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Brinty posted:

If they were to do a bit more modern stuff and start including like the PS1 and N64, I'd love to see him do Banjo Kazooie, partially just to see what Arino thinks it but also because I'm curious how the translation was handled.

BK wouldn't be a good challenge, mostly because of the amount you need to collect to beat the game. I think you need 810 of 900 notes to open the final note door. If you die in any stage, you lose your progress on the notes and have to recollect them. You also need 94 of 100 Jiggies.

Also, there's nothing too difficult about the game, just a lot of collecting--that wouldn't be very fun to watch, and since the game probably takes around 25-30 hours for a very casual player (maybe more), the cuts would be worse than the Zelda episodes. Keep in mind that the Zelda episodes had bosses to keep it 'exciting'.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Aren't fan translators supposed to adopt an ego after releasing a few subs first and then hold the show hostage until they are sucked-up to?

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Oh wow... That sucks that he seems like a total dick since the little I watched of the Fire Emblem video seemed okay to me except that he had to use the smallest font size possible for translating cutscene story text (which rarely works well for YouTube unless you have a good quality 1080p video). But, I don't know much Japanese (I've learned a little after watching this, but not enough to hold a conversation), so any translation will seem good to me unless it's a TV-Nihon style "author's notes for every other subtitle" job. :shobon:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah, the dude uploads GCCX Wii channel episodes occasionally. He seems dickish from ZG's account, but if he's translating GCCX stuff that would otherwise be overlooked, and isn't actively trying to cause drama, then I guess him and me are cool. Upload some more stuff, DarknessSavior!

benjiman
Sep 2, 2011
If I recall correctly he was a bit moan-y about it at first (he did a video or two before this one that had some interesting comments, don't think he really bashed anyone though) but his translation seemed relatively good and he is doing different stuff.

Hat's off to the guy if he has decided he likes it enough to do it without a team and is at least competent enough to do it. Hope there's something a year or so from now that I could do the same with.

Interestingly enough I think there's a fan translation for that FE that he tries later on pretty far in the works. I think that was one of the ones that didn't make the journey west.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got my dvd today :D Works fine in my region 2 360!

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Went ahead and decided to buy the DVD based on a few clips that were linked to me. Holy hell, that was money well-spent. Haven't laughed so hard in a while. That Clock Tower episode is loving amazing.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012
I've been thinking about what I'd put on my challenge wishlist.

• Sweet Home. I mentioned this earlier, but people point to it as the genesis of the survival horror genre, and its cross-promotion with the horror movie might make for some interesting material.
  • The later Goemon games for the SNES, or even the first one for the N64. The SNES ones get zanier as the series continues.
  • Wonder Project J. Like Pacman 2, this is all about getting a computer-controlled character to do things for you. And since Arino has kids, there could be Tokimeki episode-style tips on parenting.
  • Seventh Cross: Evolution. Brutally difficult evolution sim for the Dreamcast. I imagine he'd spend a lot of time getting murdered by crabs.
  • EVO: The Search for Eden. Another evolution sim. This one is actually fun and not brutally difficult. The storyline and mechanics of upgrading your body should make for an interesting episode.

I haven't looked at the full list of games he's challenged, so some of these may have already happened.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
How could you forget the greatest hypothetical challenge of all, Ecco the Dolphin? Arinos reaction to the prologue would be enough to make this the best episode.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

kimpira posted:

I've been thinking about what I'd put on my challenge wishlist.

• Sweet Home. I mentioned this earlier, but people point to it as the genesis of the survival horror genre, and its cross-promotion with the horror movie might make for some interesting material.
  • The later Goemon games for the SNES, or even the first one for the N64. The SNES ones get zanier as the series continues.
  • Wonder Project J. Like Pacman 2, this is all about getting a computer-controlled character to do things for you. And since Arino has kids, there could be Tokimeki episode-style tips on parenting.
  • Seventh Cross: Evolution. Brutally difficult evolution sim for the Dreamcast. I imagine he'd spend a lot of time getting murdered by crabs.
  • EVO: The Search for Eden. Another evolution sim. This one is actually fun and not brutally difficult. The storyline and mechanics of upgrading your body should make for an interesting episode.

I haven't looked at the full list of games he's challenged, so some of these may have already happened.

The n64 Goemon one might turn out to be similar to Ocarina of Time. (trainwreck)

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon on the N64 is the most Zelda like game that doesn't have the word Zelda in the title. So basically he'd breeze through most of the game/they'd have lots of cut out scenes of the dungeons and figuring out the 'puzzles' and very short clips of boss fights and/or just the ADs doing most of the work and not showing video from that progress.

Basically everything that went wrong in both Zelda challenges would be going wrong in Goemon 64. The other SNES games wouldn't be bad though.

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Gutcruncher posted:

How could you forget the greatest hypothetical challenge of all, Ecco the Dolphin? Arinos reaction to the prologue would be enough to make this the best episode.

This, oh god, this. I also would love to see a golden axe/dnd style game too. He'd never stay with one character and always pick the worst one for the level.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
He challenged Golden Axe. It sucked. :(

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

And the last stage, if he reaches it. Ecco is still top on my list of games I'd like to see him play.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why hasn't he challenged Metal Gear yet?!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I know he's compared a few games to Metal Gear, so it could be that he's too familiar with it. Outside of the wish lists already mentioned I wouldn't mind seeing him play ToeJam & Earl. :v:

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Bocc Kob posted:

I must be weird because the Golden Axe challenge was my favourite of the DVD set. Maybe it's because of Arino defeating Death Bringer being a very cathartic moment for me. Seriously, gently caress that boss.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And the last stage, if he reaches it. Ecco is still top on my list of games I'd like to see him play.

Maybe Kibe just doesn't like the game.

In terms of obscure games that would be fun to see on the show, I kind of want to see Arino play Chakan the Forever Man. He has infinite lives so it should be easy. :v:

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Ineffiable posted:

The n64 Goemon one might turn out to be similar to Ocarina of Time. (trainwreck)

Mystical Ninja starring Goemon on the N64 is the most Zelda like game that doesn't have the word Zelda in the title. So basically he'd breeze through most of the game/they'd have lots of cut out scenes of the dungeons and figuring out the 'puzzles' and very short clips of boss fights and/or just the ADs doing most of the work and not showing video from that progress.

Basically everything that went wrong in both Zelda challenges would be going wrong in Goemon 64. The other SNES games wouldn't be bad though.
The second N64 Goemon game could be pretty good, it's a straight up great 2D platformer that can get really challenging at times and at any time a second player can hop in so it has the potential for some great Arino and AD triumphing/failing together moments.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
It might be too recent, but I'd love to see Resident Evil 2 just for the reaction for when he's told he's only beaten half the game after the first playthrough.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Arino is a big Resident Evil fan and is too familiar with -- and good at -- the games.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I wonder what he thinks of RE6. I haven't seen any japanese perspectives on it at all.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Do not even ask posted:

I must be weird because the Golden Axe challenge was my favourite of the DVD set. Maybe it's because of Arino defeating Death Bringer being a very cathartic moment for me. Seriously, gently caress that boss.

I thought Golden Axe was great too, if nothing else I laughed really hard at Arino's attempts to translate the English. YES, MY ROAD!

FireCar
Sep 20, 2002

What's this?!

Bocc Kob posted:

Nooooooo, don't tell me that! What about it wasn't good? I'd think it would have all the makings of a good episode of GCCX.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Got my DVDs, great translation.

I think someone else mentioned it already, but about that ending to Battle Golfer Yui.

:stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wonder how he'd do at Gunstar Heroes. Seems to be a good idea for an episode: interesting bosses, weapons that're bound to confuse (then delight, when he discovers Homing+Laser) him, changeups like the dice maze and the shooter level (gotta get his nemesis in there :v:), and co-op if he's struggling.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

deadpan posted:

Got my DVDs, great translation.

I think someone else mentioned it already, but about that ending to Battle Golfer Yui.

:stare:

By the way, is that the real end? It seems like it cuts back to the Sega Logo too soon.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

FireCar posted:

Nooooooo, don't tell me that! What about it wasn't good? I'd think it would have all the makings of a good episode of GCCX.

Arino played the game the exact same way I did, so it was kind of sad. :(

bigboss172
Oct 10, 2012

El-Bonko posted:

I'm pretty sure the lockdown applies to the whole forum. The LP threads I follow were blocked anyway, both this time and previous ones.

This thread is the main reason I finally paid up, though. I too would like to say thank you to the SA GCCX team for the many, many hours of fun you've given us all. :tipshat:

Same here! I came on to check if a new episode was available and i looked at my girlfriend and said "Hey! I need to register now... she looked at me and said "they probably deserve it" so here I am, all paid up. Wanted to say great work anyway! I love GCCX!

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

Gutcruncher posted:

Arino's reaction to the Dreamcast version is on my wishlist. Too bad it'll never happen. The Japanese version probably doesn't have Tom Baker either.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi
For some reason I really want Arino to challenge Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti

It's pretty easy, somewhat short, but I think it would be interesting nonetheless. It also has a cameo by Princess Ki.

edit: Parodius Da would also be pretty cool to see. Once again somewhat easy due to it's unlimited continues. It's a shooter I bet Arino could beat without any help.

orochi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingOfZa
Jul 6, 2011
There's a lot of Genesis games I'd love to see Arino tackle. Rocket Knight Adventures, Contra Hard Corps, Revenge of Shinobi, and Ecco would all be really fun to watch.

I'd especially love to see Arino's reaction to the Godzilla, Spiderman/Batman, and Hulk boss battles in Revenge of Shinobi.