Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

The Canon EF 50/1.8 II is not fun to manual focus. However, in the grand scheme of things, it is ridiculously cheap so if you are trying to keep the price low it's a hard lens to pass on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Yeah, I guess I could always resell it for what looks like a surprisingly high amount.

Still though, are the 1.4 or 35 F2 far superior lenses?

Dr. Cool
Sep 24, 2009
The 1.4 gets a lot of flack, but the copy I've used has been lightyears better than my nifty fifty. The 35mm f/2 is nice, but you have the same type of focusing as the nifty fifty--it's not the USM that the 50mm 1.4 and 28mm 1.8 have. Personally, I'd spring for the slightly more expensive 28 1.8 because it becomes a nice fast standard lens on a crop, plus it has the more modern focusing.

Goatshadow
Apr 11, 2002

terriyaki posted:

The Canon EF 50/1.8 II is not fun to manual focus. However, in the grand scheme of things, it is ridiculously cheap so if you are trying to keep the price low it's a hard lens to pass on.

Mine would literally fall apart in my hands a couple times when I manually focused it. It was just that cheap and flimsy. But that was almost 10 years ago; did they improve it since then?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Having recently converted to Nikon, I have to say that the focusing rings on the 50 1.8 and 35 2 are vastly superior to their Canon counterparts - the lenses themselves still feel just as cheap, but manual focusing is so much easier.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I actually feel like my Nikon 1.8 is roughly on par with the canon 1.4 it replaced, if not a little better thanks the front element being safely tucked into the lens barrel.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

Hello you lovely people. I'm looking for some thoughts and advice on purchasing a wide angle zoom. I use a Canon 60D (yes I know) and have a budget of £400-£500 ($650 - $800 US) and don't mind buying used. I'm upgrading from the 18-55 kit I have had for years. I'll be going Landscaping with it primarily, and want it in time for Guy Fawkes Night :britain:

Having poked around the internet but not had a real opportunity to handle anything, I've narrowed a list down to 4:

Canon 10-22 3.4/4.5
Tamron 10-24 F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical [IF] <- :wtf:
Tokina 12-24mm f/4 II AT-X 124 DX f4
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

Currently I'm hovering between the Tokina 12-24 or the Tamron 10-24. None of them have bad reviews, but I can't find any direct comparisons that give one an edge.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like the Tokina 11-16 for the aperture, the Canon 10-22 for sharpness.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Why not the sigma 8-16?

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

rawrr posted:

Why not the sigma 8-16?

aka "The greatest ultra wide for a crop body ever."

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

rawrr posted:

Why not the sigma 8-16?

I don't know! That's why I asked really. I had a feeling I would be recommended a lens I didn't list though. Thank you both and 1st AD for the advice.

Dalax fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 8, 2012

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...
So I have like $40 in eBay bucks, what's the most useful photo thing I could buy for around that price?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whereismyshoe posted:

So I have like $40 in eBay bucks, what's the most useful photo thing I could buy for around that price?

Pentax ME (non-super) plus a 50/1.7

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whereismyshoe posted:

Alternately a cheap Yashica Lynx or Konica Auto S2 rangefinder if you prefer that. Or see if you can scare up an Olympus XA, no-fucks-given take-everywhere cameras own.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Dalax posted:

I don't know! That's why I asked really. I had a feeling I would be recommended a lens I didn't list though. Thank you both and 1st AD for the advice.

lensrentals.com has a good summary of the various ultra wides:

http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/wide-angle/sigma-8-16mm-f4.5-5.6-dc-hsm-for-canon posted:

Comparing the ultra-wide, crop sensor camera lenses is an extremely difficult task, so I’ll put the summary first: they all deliver excellent image quality and you can’t go wrong with any of them. To my “just taking pictures” assessment they are all excellent. There are some differences though, so I’ll try to point those out so you have a better chance at choosing the one that’s best for you.

The Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 is the widest (and remember, 8mm is 20% wider than 10mm, so it’s a very real difference). Not quite as sharp in the corners as the others, and lower maximum aperture, but it’s really pretty good, especially considering it’s the widest of the wide.

The Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 has low distortion and is arguably the most flare resistant, the smallest and lightest when that’s important. It’s also the most expensive and vignettes a bit. I like it a lot, though, and I often find myself preferring it because of its small size.

The Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 has a bit more distortion than the others but delivers very nice images and is also built much better than the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5. It does everything well.

The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 gives you the widest aperture if you’ll be working in low light (with ultra wides, depth of field is rarely an important point), but it’s a bit soft at f/2.8, so the aperture advantage isn’t huge (I usually shoot it at f/3.5 if I can to get it sharper). It has very little vignetting and distortion, probably the least of the group. Unfortunately, it does show quite a bit of chromatic aberration at times. Overall it may be the best image quality of the group.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 PRO DX II is built like a sturdy tank (and therefore a bit heavier). It does tend to give low contrast images when shot into the sun but is quite sharp otherwise. This is the one I’d take if conditions were rough: I pity the rock this bad boy falls on. Poor rock.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

whereismyshoe posted:

Spare batteries.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

whereismyshoe posted:

If you shoot film, a dark bag. They're handy to have around if your camera weirds out and you need to unload a half-shot roll, too.
Film. Get something exotic, like weird old expired Russian film from the early 1980's.
A little reflector, like 12-inch, is a fun toy.
Shiny new lens caps for all your lenses.
Spare batteries (boring but very useful).
One of those gimmicky "wide angle" screw-on lens-things, so you can evaluate just how terrible they are and report back to us.
An old flash (or two or three) and the slave units to remote trigger them. Optical slave triggers are like $2 each, and somebody's off-brand old flash will set you back less than $10. Shipping is likely to be the major expense here. Don't mount old flashes (1980s) on new cameras (newer than 2000).

This is fun, everybody loves to tell other people how to spend their money!

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Pentax ME (non-super) plus a 50/1.7

Already have a Spotmatic and 50/1.4 :smug:

HPL posted:

Spare batteries.

This might actually be the winner, strangely. Super boring but i've been wanting another battery for my 5DII for a while and this might be my chance. Or I might just get some weird off-brand TLR for the sake of having a TLR because they look cool.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whereismyshoe posted:

Already have a Spotmatic and 50/1.4 :smug:

This might actually be the winner, strangely. Super boring but i've been wanting another battery for my 5DII for a while and this might be my chance. Or I might just get some weird off-brand TLR for the sake of having a TLR because they look cool.

Sounds like you still need a proper camera.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mr. Despair posted:

Sounds like you still need a proper camera.

There's no room next to my Hasselblad for an ME Super.

E: somewhat related, I ended up buying like 15 rolls of Acros in 120.

whereismyshoe fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whereismyshoe posted:

There's no room next to my Hasselblad for an ME Super.

E: somewhat related, I ended up buying like 15 rolls of Acros in 120.

Well at least we can agree that Acros owns.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Mr. Despair posted:

Well at least we can agree that Acros owns.

Reciprocity? What's that?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm looking to get a 64GB SD card, are there any that are recomended or should be avoided? I don't want to go off of Newegg reviews because Newegg users are stupid.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lexar professional 64gig 400x seemed like a good combo of performance per dollar when I was searching for something to put in the d800. Rob galbraith's charts were pretty favorable. It's been great so far.

powderific fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 10, 2012

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, Lexar and Sandisk are probably the two best bets.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure where else to ask about this here, but I bought this whole setup for $15 from a thrift store yesterday.

Going to pick up some film and run a few rolls through it.
Everything seems to work fine from playing around with it unloaded.

It looks like somebody bought it and used it once or twice then packed it all away.
The little cleaning kit was unopened.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBIdcUxdgo0

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm looking to get a 64GB SD card, are there any that are recomended or should be avoided? I don't want to go off of Newegg reviews because Newegg users are stupid.

I've used a Sandisk 45MB/s model for the last 9 months with no issues, pretty satisfied.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Funnily enough I had the same scene run through my head when I saw the name of the camera in the store.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
Just got my "like new" Tamron 17-50 for around 320.00 from Amazon.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading their kit lens, this thing is awesome. Very impressed. The constant 2.8 aperture is so much nicer. Good bit heavier though.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Almost every refurb Canon lens is in stock, including the extender 2X III:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductListingViewAll_10051_10051_-1_22751?WT.mc_id=C126149

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
My boss has asked me to buy a new camera for our department to document events and site visits. The pictures will be used for things like brochures and annual reports. Our company has a photography department but they aren't always available when we go on site visits to grantees. I have a budget of $750.

I'm thinking I need something that is above a simple point and shoot but not quite a DSLR.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

My boss has asked me to buy a new camera for our department to document events and site visits. The pictures will be used for things like brochures and annual reports. Our company has a photography department but they aren't always available when we go on site visits to grantees. I have a budget of $750.

I'm thinking I need something that is above a simple point and shoot but not quite a DSLR.

Canon S100 is said to be quite good

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Sony RX100. If budget is not an issue it'll blow the rest away.

If size isn't an issue (e.g. doesn't have to fit in a pocket) then any entry-level mirrorless (NEX, m4/3rds) will do the job.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Thanks all. I've added them to my recommendation list. I'll be lobbying hard for that RX100 that looks like a nice camera.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'll cross-post this question from the Canon since it's not necessarily brand-dependent:

As I look to replace my crop lenses (EF-S 10-22 in particular) can anyone give me some advice on the 16-35 f2.8L II vs. the 17-40 f4.0L? The 17-40 is half the price and seems like a killer deal for L-glass. The 10-22 was f/3.5-4.5 so I'm not used to fast, wide glass anyway. I'm trying to envision a situation where I would want that extra stop of light for shots that wide and I'm coming up blank.

I should add that the 17-40's 77mm filter size is appealing to me since I've already invested in nice B+W filters at that size for my other lenses. The 16-35's 82mm filter size isn't a deal-breaker, but it's an annoyance.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Re-read your post, sounds like you've made up your mind.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'll cross-post this question from the Canon since it's not necessarily brand-dependent:

As I look to replace my crop lenses (EF-S 10-22 in particular) can anyone give me some advice on the 16-35 f2.8L II vs. the 17-40 f4.0L? The 17-40 is half the price and seems like a killer deal for L-glass. The 10-22 was f/3.5-4.5 so I'm not used to fast, wide glass anyway. I'm trying to envision a situation where I would want that extra stop of light for shots that wide and I'm coming up blank.

I should add that the 17-40's 77mm filter size is appealing to me since I've already invested in nice B+W filters at that size for my other lenses. The 16-35's 82mm filter size isn't a deal-breaker, but it's an annoyance.

I've used my friend's 5Dmk2 with the 17-40 and it blew me away, it's crazy sharp, he makes 30inch prints with it and they look great. Besides if you already have good filters at that thread size then I'd say it's a no brainer, using step down rings on a lens that wide would give you some awful vignetting.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Krelas posted:

I've used my friend's 5Dmk2 with the 17-40 and it blew me away, it's crazy sharp, he makes 30inch prints with it and they look great. Besides if you already have good filters at that thread size then I'd say it's a no brainer, using step down rings on a lens that wide would give you some awful vignetting.

17-40 is the best deal in L lenses by a large margin.

To me the extra stop isn't worth double the price and the big weight difference. Sure, it vignettes, which I like anyways and is a one click fix in lightroom if you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wyeth posted:

17-40 is the best deal in L lenses by a large margin.
Imma come to your house and beat you over the head with a 70-200/4