Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Siroc posted:

Some tweets the other day from techies reported a "better" Facebook Android app is very close.

They're supposed to be releasing a native code version at some point after realising that HTML5 wasn't working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

rolleyes posted:

They're supposed to be releasing a native code version at some point after realising that HTML5 wasn't working out.

They already did for iOS I believe, which is supposed to be excellent.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Yeah, the iOS version used to be roughly as bad as the Android version, but now it's really, really good.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Now that Grimbo's blog is gone I don't know of any. I'm guessing you mean something a bit more in depth than AppBrain.

AndroidPolice does app and game roundups every week but it's hardly easy to search or look through except as they come.

I'm new to this so I'll have a look at Appbrain, cheers - really I'd like some good resources I can search easily whenever I think of something I might want, instead of looking at random sites on the internet.

Penguissimo posted:

This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but Appstorm has a lot of really good in-depth reviews of apps, with the occasional high-quality themed roundup (like "40 apps for the aspiring accountant" or "30 apps for the college student"). Definitely worth tossing into your Google Reader subscriptions.

Yeah the reviews look decent, thanks!

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Whats the best app for playing imported video files of various types for a Nexus 7?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Try MX Player.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit
Does anyone know where the Google Drive and Microsoft Skydrive apps store files that are made 'offline' on a phone? The Skydrive app says that it downloads to 'SDCard/Skydrive', but I'm using a Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have an SD card slot. The file is still available when I've turned off all of the radios, so it's somewhere on the phone, but I just can't find where.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
I have an HTC OneX using widgetlocker, and I was wondering if there existed a widget that basically replicated the music widget of HTC's default lock screen.

The HTC screen allows me to pause/play pretty much any audio app (Play Music, Spotify, Podkicker, TuneIn) through one widget (which disappears if there is nothing playing) and I'd like to replicate this with widgetlocker.

Thanks!

Image:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
The only thing I can think of that can do that is Phantom Music Control, but it doesn't look as nice (I don't think it can display album art unless it's been updated recently).

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Frog posted:

Does anyone know where the Google Drive and Microsoft Skydrive apps store files that are made 'offline' on a phone? The Skydrive app says that it downloads to 'SDCard/Skydrive', but I'm using a Galaxy Nexus that doesn't have an SD card slot. The file is still available when I've turned off all of the radios, so it's somewhere on the phone, but I just can't find where.

I have a Nexus 7, and after a bit of searching I found that Google Drive stuff that's made offline is stored in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.docs/files/pinned_docs_files_do_not_edit/

That folder will have a bunch of folders that are just named strings of numbers, and in each of them is one of the files from Google Drive that was offlined.

Frog
May 25, 2006
Ribbit

fatherdog posted:

I have a Nexus 7, and after a bit of searching I found that Google Drive stuff that's made offline is stored in /storage/sdcard0/Android/data/com.google.android.apps.docs/files/pinned_docs_files_do_not_edit/

That folder will have a bunch of folders that are just named strings of numbers, and in each of them is one of the files from Google Drive that was offlined.

That folder wasn't showing up for me. I could see all the other Google ones, but not Docs for some reason. I've uninstalled and reinstalled both Drive and Skydrive and can now see the directories and the files within. Thanks for the help though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

rolleyes posted:

I just want to be able to upload pictures of my cat without them getting stuck in limbo 70% of the time...

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Google Play 3.9.16 is rolling out. Adds Jelly bean expanded notifications and the ability to remove apps from your list (long press to multi select). Still no paid app filter though from what I can see, so still doesn't really solve the original problem.

Manual install link for the impatient: http://www.mediafire.com/?3cui71wddw9h0is

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Is there any way to not have the Google Voice app pick up any text messages? I want messaging and voice to be separate completely.

I really don't want texts or whatever to go through Voice. I just want my dang voicemails in there and that's it. Apparently changing the settings doesn't help at all and its just become annoying at this point.

------

I mean, is it just supposed to be that way? Cause it's annoying as hell.

Oh. I guess I could filter it but I would prefer texts never go to voice at all.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 11, 2012

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
On Verizon, voice doesn't really work the way Google wants it to. You dial a number and it forwards all your voicemails to your google voice number. This is exactly what I want google voice for. My voicemails are saved online and I can access them from my computer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Skeezy posted:

Is there any way to not have the Google Voice app pick up any text messages? I want messaging and voice to be separate completely.

I really don't want texts or whatever to go through Voice. I just want my dang voicemails in there and that's it. Apparently changing the settings doesn't help at all and its just become annoying at this point.

------

Oh. I guess I could filter it but I would prefer texts never go to voice at all.
Changing which settings? If you go to three dots->Settings->Sync and notifications->Receive text messages, you can set it to "Via the messaging app" and you should get texts that way. Or is that not what you're talking about? If you only want it to display voicemails, touch the part at the top where it says "Inbox" and change it to "Voicemail."

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I'm having a Woofi problem. I'm on 1.9alpha3d and running CM10 M2 on a Sprint Gnex. It will sit at "Waiting for location fix" yet never polls GPS. If I go into maps or something else that polls GPS then it goes back to either WiFi off or on depending on where I am.

This didn't happen on stock Jelly Bean.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

------

You can have Google Voice forward the text messages to your phone. What will happen is your contacts will get a random number that you text and Google Voice will send to the correct number as your Google Voice number. If you are going to text someone for the first time you need to use the Google Voice app.

If all you want is voicemail without using your Google Voice number you need to setup conditional call forward which is what the app will do if you setup Google Voice to be your voicemail on your Android phone.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
Pinch to zoom is finally coming to Gmail, it's about loving time.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...earchive-video/

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm not sure if this is a problem with the Gmail service, Gmail on Android, or my email client (eM Client). The last few days (I think since I updated to the October 8th CM 10 nightly), the Gmail app has been displaying the number of emails received since I was on my PC, using eM Client. What I mean by that is say I get 4 emails while I'm at work, and read them all. The Gmail app will still display a 4 in the upper-right of the main screen until I come home and read or delete those emails through eM Client. I have my Gmail address set up as IMAP in eM, which I thought would make this behavior not happen (and indeed, it hadn't happened before). Does anyone familiar with CM know if this is a known bug in that build, or is something else going on?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I love Light Flow's custom color notification led's, but I wish they would actually stop blinking after said notification is dismissed. (IE: when I get a text from the wife it's a pink led. I open the text, and even respond, and 3 hours later it's still blinking pink.)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I love Light Flow's custom color notification led's, but I wish they would actually stop blinking after said notification is dismissed. (IE: when I get a text from the wife it's a pink led. I open the text, and even respond, and 3 hours later it's still blinking pink.)

This does get really annoying. Does yours happen all the time? Mine only happens occasionally, but I think it's always the SMS app (stock Messaging).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

WhatsApp permanently blinks, so I've disabled that notification in LightFlow. drat shame.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

You can change what actually dismisses the blink - by default it's set to "Open notifying app" or something, but you can set it to "screen on" or "notification shade opened", which might fix things.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

hooah posted:

This does get really annoying. Does yours happen all the time? Mine only happens occasionally, but I think it's always the SMS app (stock Messaging).

Yes all the time.

Arcsech posted:

You can change what actually dismisses the blink - by default it's set to "Open notifying app" or something, but you can set it to "screen on" or "notification shade opened", which might fix things.

Having trouble finding it. I'm probably just dumb.

Under general prefs there is nothing about how to dismiss. I have "Enable 'Clear all'" but it doesn't seem to do it.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Does anyone know of a good solution for setting up audio profiles and switching between them easily? I output music to my car at ~80% volume but with headphones it needs to be at the lowest setting, and even that can still be loud. I'm looking for a way to switch volumes, maybe adjust the EQ, and turn notifications to silent all in one go. I'd love if it could be automated but I don't think there's any way to discern between headphones or car stereo since I use the 3.5mm out for both.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yes all the time.

Having trouble finding it. I'm probably just dumb.

Under general prefs there is nothing about how to dismiss. I have "Enable 'Clear all'" but it doesn't seem to do it.

You have to set it under an app by app basis.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Skeezy posted:

You have to set it under an app by app basis.

Found it! You have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole, but it's there for each contact specific notification and it's under each individual selection.

Turned them all to "screen on". Thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Teeter posted:

Does anyone know of a good solution for setting up audio profiles and switching between them easily?

Get some NFC tags and stick one wherever you usually mount your phone in your car.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Damnit, I'm hating having lost ICS+ and that lovely ring wheel and stuff when I went to jellybean.

What's the consensus on browsers for Jellybean? Just Chrome?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I would say Chrome seems to be the one people use. On the other hand I actually use Opera Mobile. Chrome is fantastic and fast and stuff, but Opera has the best text reflow of any browser and I like the "jump to top/bottom" button when you're scrolling. Too bad it's pretty ugly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Damnit, I'm hating having lost ICS+ and that lovely ring wheel and stuff when I went to jellybean.

What's the consensus on browsers for Jellybean? Just Chrome?
The stock Jelly Bean browser does this. It's under Labs in the settings.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The stock Jelly Bean browser does this. It's under Labs in the settings.

I did find that, but it's quite inferior, especially if you have a system with a high DPI. The buttons on the ring are about a third the size of my fingernails, it's really fiddly.

Still, it's something.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I did find that, but it's quite inferior, especially if you have a system with a high DPI. The buttons on the ring are about a third the size of my fingernails, it's really fiddly.

Still, it's something.
On my Galaxy Nexus I find it much, much better than the old ICS Browser+.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

On my Galaxy Nexus I find it much, much better than the old ICS Browser+.

Right. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the average size of goon fingers :munch: but it is the perfect size for me on my GNex. The default browser is far superior to either of the improved ICS versions on Play simply because of the way that it nests the buttons within groups. Once you learn the positions you can do things like refresh or new tab with just a quick flick of a finger.

The only thing it is missing is a Save Offline button, which is occasionally annoying since you have to disable the feature entirely to get to it. For the amount I use that though (maybe once every couple of months) it's nothing really.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What's the best app for tracking 3G data usage (per app)? Do they all like to eat battery?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Right. I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the average size of goon fingers :munch: but it is the perfect size for me on my GNex. The default browser is far superior to either of the improved ICS versions on Play simply because of the way that it nests the buttons within groups. Once you learn the positions you can do things like refresh or new tab with just a quick flick of a finger.
Exactly.

The first time I used it and saw those groups I was like "This is horrible!" then I used it for about a week and wondered how I managed without them.

My only real complaint about the stock browser is the way it closes the app if you close the last tab. It used to immediately reopen a tab at the Google page when you did that which I found much more convenient. I suppose tab-syncing with Chrome would be nice but the few times I've needed that I just use Chrome. As it stands there are far too many little irritations in Chrome for me to use it every day even if they were to add quick controls.

gmq posted:

What's the best app for tracking 3G data usage (per app)? Do they all like to eat battery?
Stock Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean data monitoring?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

As it stands there are far too many little irritations in Chrome for me to use it every day even if they were to add quick controls.
On my N7 I love Chrome, but the phone version is horrible, the UI just doesn't work at that size. That plus a lack of quick buttons, it makes it very slow and fiddly to use. It sounds like the new Nexus will only ship with Chrome which is going to be horrible, a step backwards in usability.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 12, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

On MY N7 I love Chrome, but the phone version is horrible, the UI just doesn't work at that size. That plus a lack of quick buttons, it makes it very slow and fiddly to use. It sounds like the new Nexus will only ship with Chrome which is going to be horrible, a step backwards in usability.
I wouldn't use horrible but some things just bother the hell out of me. Like I have bookmarks locally on the phone as mobile sites, stuff like Ars, The Verge, Google News- but I couldn't just visit the site from my synced bookmarks (which are for the desktop) then add the mobile site to the local bookmarks because doing so removed them from my synced bookmarks on all devices.

I can't set the Google mobile page as my home page to open up when I bring up a new tab. Because why would I need contextual search options on a mobile phone?

Plus I think it's slower than the stock browser and uglier too. Really if it weren't for the occasional synced tab that I forgot to throw in Other Bookmarks I'd uninstall it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Found it! You have to go pretty deep down the rabbit hole, but it's there for each contact specific notification and it's under each individual selection.

Turned them all to "screen on". Thanks.

You can also add a lightflow widget. There's two, lightflow and lightflow debugger. Pick just lightflow. This puts a widget on your screen that displays the current notification color and you can click it to clear it out.

• Locked thread