Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Plus, consider towns like State College where there is a stadium with can hold twice the population of the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

:stare:

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
That's literally the face he makes.

And that's just the pregame.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Blackula69 posted:

That's literally the face he makes.

And that's just the pregame.

I love the look on his face as he tries to comprehend why jets just flew overhead

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Thank you for this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Stephen Fry loving owns so hard

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I love the look on his face as he tries to comprehend why jets just flew overhead

Yeah, you could tell he had no idea that was coming. Also, the impressive part is that they don't even show any game footage, or even reactions from a sack or TD or a big play, and it still comes across.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
It looks like they only got permission to film until the game started, probably par for the course in the NCAA

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

It looks like they only got permission to film until the game started, probably par for the course in the NCAA

More like par for the course for CBS/ESPN.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

It was also for a British audience and highlights of American football would be meaningless to them. The story was about the pomp and pageantry surrounding the game, anyway. The game itself was meaningless.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

I would really enjoy a gif of that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"A local darby between amateur students" should be the title of every GDT.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

This is the video I use to try and explain college football to my Aussie friends. It is such a beautiful and unique thing that the rest of the world really doesn't get.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Right at the end they was flying the ohio flag doe??

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rap posted:

Right at the end they was flying the ohio flag doe??

Yes.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Stephen Fry loving owns so hard

Stephen Fry is the best answer to any thing which questions any humans viability:
Fry is depressive
Fry is fat
Fry is gay
Fry is Jewish
Fry is bad at sport
Fry is one of the best human beings alive.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

This is the video I use to try and explain college football to my Aussie friends. It is such a beautiful and unique thing that the rest of the world really doesn't get.
The yanks love for college footy is innately incomprehensible.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Question: watching ARI vs STL, and an offensive player pulled a face mask. It was missed by the refs. What's the correct ruling and can the coaches throw a red flag?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

Question: watching ARI vs STL, and an offensive player pulled a face mask. It was missed by the refs. What's the correct ruling and can the coaches throw a red flag?

Should have been called. I do not think you can call a flag on a penalty.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Should have been called. I do not think you can call a flag on a penalty.

Can you go into more detail? I don't know what constitutes a penalty? (seems like a face mask pull should be a penalty?)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirty Frank posted:

Can you go into more detail? I don't know what constitutes a penalty? (seems like a face mask pull should be a penalty?)

It should have been called, but if the refs missed it too bad. It's not reviewable. The cameras pick up lots of things the refs don't see at field level.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

Yeah, its actually one of the most serious penalties, but if the ref doesn't see it there is nothing the coach can do.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dirty Frank posted:

The yanks love for college footy is innately incomprehensible.

It is also largely incomprehensible to anyone that doesn't follow it within the states.

What is it that inspires a man to burn a perfectly good couch

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

Almost all penalties are judgement calls which aren't reviewable. Holding, illegal blocks, pass interference etc. The only actual penalties that are reviewable are too many men on the field, and illegal forward pass (throwing the ball when you are past the line of scrimmage, or a second forward pass). I guess you can review illegal touching too, like on an onside kick to see if the ball does go ten yards before its scooped up, but all of those are pretty objective.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Yeah, its actually one of the most serious penalties, but if the ref doesn't see it there is nothing the coach can do.

Seems weird, is there any push back on this or is it basically status quo? The limit on flags seems like it would take care of spamming. BTW what would have been the correct punishment?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

Seems weird, is there any push back on this or is it basically status quo? The limit on flags seems like it would take care of spamming. BTW what would have been the correct punishment?

The big problem is that if you could call penalties for review, practically any play could be called. Someone somewhere is almost always holding, for example.

EDIT:

Correct punishment is five yards for incidental contact, 15 yards for a grab

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 7, 2012

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

EDIT:

Correct punishment is five yards for incidental contact, 15 yards for a grab
Thanks

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is a recent change, but there's no 5 yard incidental facemask anymore. Any facemask is a 15 yard penalty now.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The thing about facemasks in particular is that incidental contact with the facemask is legal; and that includes a grab-and-release where the mask is not twisted, turned or pulled.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

That's college football in the South. Nobody cares about college football in the Northeast.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

TheLoquid posted:

That's college football in the South. Nobody cares about college football in the Northeast.

Notre Dame and Army would sell out Yankee Stadium all the time. The pro game became more popular as Army fell off and there wasent major program in the area to take over.

Harvard/Yale was a major game for decades.

The lack of pro teams in otherwise sleepy college towns in the South and Midwest is another factor in its sustained popularity. No competition.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo
Why don't the players ever want to hold the water bottle themselves and instead have the waterboy do it for them?

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

bvlah posted:

Why don't the players ever want to hold the water bottle themselves and instead have the waterboy do it for them?

Because they have enough staff to be able to do it so why not.

It's also easier to have someone go around giving guys a quick squirt while they're on the sidelines or in a huddle during a timeout so they can focus on the coach or QB who's currently talking. If you only have a 30 second time out you don't want to waste 5-8 seconds of valuable time to discuss things because 11 guys were jostling to grab water bottles. Most guys just sitting on the bench doing nothing will usually drink a cup themselves.

Also from a hydration standpoint training staffs want guys constantly drinking a little bit during the game, so an assistant trainer or waterboy offering guys drinks ensures that guys are getting fluid.

Also water bottles are commonly wet and some guys don't like getting gatorade all over their hands/gloves.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

Not sure why this disappointed me...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I was disappointed to learn that teams only seem to have one flavor of Gatorade on the sideline.

To be fair HGH Orange is the best flavor.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chichevache posted:

To be fair HGH Orange is the best flavor.

The orange part is true, please only drink orange gatorade

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sash! posted:

Seriously? matt moore lied to us...

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Gatorade is unquestionably the foulest thing I've ever put in my mouth. Is it like "the worse it tastes, the better it is for you"?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I've seen you say that before and I don't get it. Maybe you got a badly mixed batch or something? It's not the best tasting thing in the world for sure, but it's not particularly offensive in my opinion.

e: Maybe they're marketing a new Onion and Garlic flavor overseas or something.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Gatorade is unquestionably the foulest thing I've ever put in my mouth. Is it like "the worse it tastes, the better it is for you"?

Gatorade is pretty delicious, usually. Did somebody whip you up a home-made batch or something?

• Locked thread