Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheClarkster
Oct 23, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Okay, this will seem like a silly reason. I know why I like wagons (aka Avant's to me), but why do the goons like them? I'd love to hear everyone's reason for why they like an awesome wagon, and also give myself some additional ammo for when someone is all "ZOMG WHI U GET WAGONE?"

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

Yayyyy wagon chat. Just got mine back from the shop after developing some nice transmission problems.

Good place for napping during lunch breaks, dog gate in the back makes animal hauling easy, and it makes even more power than my last dumb car... which I still get sad about selling so here is a picture of it also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Just use the Caps from your summer rims, and save 60$ :), just push them out from behind.

There is an easy solution to removing the Caps from the winter rims, if you don't want to keep the rial caps that is. Simply drive a small screw into the Rial Caps and you can easily pull em out. Saves some work :) wastes the Caps though.

I've googled it, and the Rials are usually a itty bit bigger, so if you reuse centercaps they'll be loose.
Fresh ones fit though.. and I'm thinking that if I switch, and they don't stick, I'll be out 120$..

Getting paid in three days, so we'll se what I do. Might find some on ebay as well :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's kinda like a rental in that you can beat it like a rented mule, except that even though you own it, the consequences never really come back to haunt you.

They may not, but every time I've made a statement like this, it has come back to haunt me. I've mostly learned my lesson.

GramCracker posted:

Okay, this will seem like a silly reason. I know why I like wagons (aka Avant's to me), but why do the goons like them? I'd love to hear everyone's reason for why they like an awesome wagon, and also give myself some additional ammo for when someone is all "ZOMG WHI U GET WAGONE?"

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

People don't call em shaggin' wagons for nothing :pervert:

Seriously though, they hold a lot of stuff and still handle well. I took a friend's 01 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T/manual Avant for a spin after doing a brake and front cv shaft job on it a few weeks ago and goddamn, that thing went wherever I pointed it. I can see why he likes it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

But there are people who just don't get it, and even some who loathe the idea. My mom vehemently refused any idea of a station wagon, even though you could argue that her last two vehicles (a Suburban and a Trailblazer EXT) have more in common with the 1960s GM wagons she loathed growing up, than they do with anything else on the road today.

I finally convinced my mom to ditch her Trailblazer and got her into an 2011 Outback last year. After the first test drive, and then hearing about the price and the fuel economy she was sold. She now is in love, and was shocked as to how much more options you can get by getting a wagon over the SUV.

She does miss having some of the towing capacity of the SUV, but her BF has a truck and I have my Rover. So shes never with out a towing vehicle.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A coworker just bought a 2005 (B6?) manual A4 V6 avant and I'm super loving jealous. She got it for 5k and it's in pretty good shape aside from a little front subframe rust.

I do actually need to replace my super-rusty 328 next year, would I hate myself if I got an A4 1.8T?

stump
Jan 19, 2006

GramCracker posted:

Because it's much harder to run out of space, you can carry huge things, long things, and don't have to put mountain bikes on the roof or take the wheels off. Ditto for hatchbacks, but the the estates I've had weren't available as a hatchback (e46 BMW and Peuegot 406). Saloons are a pain in the dick if you want to move big things, especially if the rear seats don't fold down. In my e36's I messed up the back seats carrying wheels and other bluky, dirty poo poo that wouldn't fit in the boot.

Also I like how they look :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I finally convinced my mom to ditch her Trailblazer and got her into an 2011 Outback last year. After the first test drive, and then hearing about the price and the fuel economy she was sold. She now is in love, and was shocked as to how much more options you can get by getting a wagon over the SUV.

She does miss having some of the towing capacity of the SUV, but her BF has a truck and I have my Rover. So shes never with out a towing vehicle.

My mom is working on getting out of hers, but only very slowly; she's probably going to keep it as a second vehicle, or at least will until she realizes my youngest brother uses it for its intended purpose more often than she does. She's got a ~10 mile commute that is entirely stoplights, that thing has got to be murdering her on gas.

Hmm. Wonder if I do the math on that, if she'll look at replacing it sooner than later.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Negative frequency dependent selection, in addition to the advantages already listed (space + good handling, fuel economy relative to other big things, look good). That's my biology sperg coming out to play - wagons (avants, estates, local lingo varies) are pretty rare these days, they'd be less appealing to me if they were much more common.

I'm planning to hold on to my current ride (just over one year so far) for as long as I can, hopefully something like 5 years. I have no idea what my next car might be, but something like those Audis that people keep showing off would be lovely. :)

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Nice WRX.

Also, I'm somewhat gay for cars with gauges on the A pillar.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 11, 2012

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

IOwnCalculus posted:

My mom is working on getting out of hers, but only very slowly; she's probably going to keep it as a second vehicle, or at least will until she realizes my youngest brother uses it for its intended purpose more often than she does. She's got a ~10 mile commute that is entirely stoplights, that thing has got to be murdering her on gas.

Hmm. Wonder if I do the math on that, if she'll look at replacing it sooner than later.

Show the math. I showed my mom that she actually lowered her monthly car payment by 100 bucks by using her trade equity (I am shocked they gave her such a good deal!), The increase in MPG's with the only offset of her insurance increasing about 100 over the course of a year. She was saving close to 350 bucks a month give or take. I just added a receiver hitch for her, so she can use her cargo carrier that goes in the tube. Shes really enjoying the car.

Though I noticed she really likes taking corners....

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
My first car was a wagon. And I would jump back into one in a heartbeat. If at the time I bought my G8 Holden was also importing the wagon and ute variants of the commodore I would have snagged a wagon. And being in a sedan I do miss the utility my suv provided prior. Figures I get rid of my Envoy, pay off the G8 and now I have 2 kids and actually need the Envoys space.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
All this wagon chat makes me so happy :allears: I think we need a wagon thread

eidt: Unless someone tells me we already have one, I'm starting to work on making one.

So I made a thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511341

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 11, 2012

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

_firehawk posted:

My first car was a wagon. And I would jump back into one in a heartbeat. If at the time I bought my G8 Holden was also importing the wagon and ute variants of the commodore I would have snagged a wagon. And being in a sedan I do miss the utility my suv provided prior. Figures I get rid of my Envoy, pay off the G8 and now I have 2 kids and actually need the Envoys space.

Clearly the answer is CTS-V wagon...

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
The CTS-V really isn't at my price point ($30k). I wouldn't have felt comfortable stretching out my loan to fit my payment target. I took out a 23k loan for 4 years. I just paid it off in 3 years this week. I also put down quite a bit and paid for the extended warranty, taxes and down payment with cash. I love my G8 and if they have a Chevy SS wagon, I would seriously consider that. In addition the Zeta platform is bigger than the CTS platform.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

_firehawk posted:

The CTS-V really isn't at my price point ($30k). I wouldn't have felt comfortable stretching out my loan to fit my payment target. I took out a 23k loan for 4 years. I just paid it off in 3 years this week. I also put down quite a bit and paid for the extended warranty, taxes and down payment with cash. I love my G8 and if they have a Chevy SS wagon, I would seriously consider that. In addition the Zeta platform is bigger than the CTS platform.

I'm really hoping there is an SS wagon variant. It wouldn't make sense for me here in Minnesota, but I would just love to see them on the road. I wonder if that would kill what little sales of the CTS-V wagon there are though.

Greg63T
Sep 20, 2012

clean subbie buddy, simple is more

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Steve French posted:

So this is the current status of my allroad:

I was out on the street getting ready to do some headlight restoration, then someone clipped my wheel as they drove past. The back of the front left wheel was sticking out because it was parked facing downhill.

Well, turns out there was transmission damage and insurance is calling it a total loss. I've been given a choice between keeping the car and getting $5591.29, or just a check for $8844.24. Leaning towards the latter, don't really want to pay a bunch to replace a transmission I never liked in the first place. Is negotiating in a situation like this something that is reasonable or possible? I have zero experience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Negotiation is always possible, but you need evidence on your side. Can you find a near-as-possible identical model for sale for around $9k, or do you have to go up from there?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hermansen posted:

Freshly polished and shined..
Now I've just got to swap the 17" M-sports for the 16" Rial winter rims :norway:

Ninjaedit: 4 hours later:

Bonus artsy shot:

Noen anelse om hvordan den håndterer i snøen skjønt?

Wowww that's absolutely beaufitul. 10/10. Subie blue is the best blue and really the only kind of car I would get in blue haha.

DropShadow posted:

I'm really hoping there is an SS wagon variant. It wouldn't make sense for me here in Minnesota, but I would just love to see them on the road. I wonder if that would kill what little sales of the CTS-V wagon there are though.
Very little I would assume, the CTS-V starts at $60,000 new, I believe hope the Chevy variant would start much much cheaper than that. I'd reckon starting at $35,000-$40,000

_firehawk posted:

We had a CTS-V coupe for a week and I literally melted my face off with it, it's ridiculously fast. The automanual was so much fun to play with and putting it in straight automatic was almost the right thing to do just because it shifted so perfectly on its own. I'd imagine that the wagon would have the same aspect in a bigger package :D

For $30,000 you could get a WRX wagon or the non-CTS-V wagon that's still pretty quick in its own right. Dunno if you could get it brand spankin new though.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Today I installed HIDs and washed the car

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You may want to retrofit those bad boys, you're gonna piss off a lot of people

Otherwise looks good! I love that era of Monte Carlos and the rebranded Buicks and Olds versions :D

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Tusen Takk posted:

Otherwise looks good! I love that era of Monte Carlos and the rebranded Buicks and Olds versions :D

Yeah, please retrofit projectors into those and properly adjust them unless you want to be that guy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

Agreed. Please please please don't be that guy.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Negotiation is always possible, but you need evidence on your side. Can you find a near-as-possible identical model for sale for around $9k, or do you have to go up from there?

Yeah, after looking around, there are a lot for sale for under $8k that are pretty comparable, so I probably don't have much in the way of leverage here. Thanks

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Steve French posted:

Well, turns out there was transmission damage and insurance is calling it a total loss. I've been given a choice between keeping the car and getting $5591.29, or just a check for $8844.24. Leaning towards the latter, don't really want to pay a bunch to replace a transmission I never liked in the first place. Is negotiating in a situation like this something that is reasonable or possible? I have zero experience.

What IOC said is right. Absolutely open to negotiation. Build up a list of what the cars are listed for, check eBay to see if any completed listings help your case.

Don't discount the money you just put into the airbags -- how much was that (and are they an easy sell if you rip them out?)

What year / mileage?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

No offense to the Monte Carlo guy but the most ghetto thing I can think of is non retrofit HID's and a mid 80's V8 haha :cheeky:

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I took the photo before adjustment and did not take a new one after.

I think they look fine as is, I just want to actually see poo poo at night. Not trying to achieve a "look." I don't think it is too noticeable as non-stock

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

AdmiralViscen posted:

I think they look fine as is, I just want to actually see poo poo at night. Not trying to achieve a "look." I don't think it is too noticeable as non-stock

They look good, until you turn the glare machine on!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's not a look, it's not you being a tremendous rear end in a top hat and blinding everyone.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

meatpimp posted:

What IOC said is right. Absolutely open to negotiation. Build up a list of what the cars are listed for, check eBay to see if any completed listings help your case.

Don't discount the money you just put into the airbags -- how much was that (and are they an easy sell if you rip them out?)

What year / mileage?

It's a 2003 2.7T auto with about 120k miles.

From what I could see on craigslist in my area (SF bay) I didn't really have much to stand on in terms of claiming that I couldn't buy a replacement for the money they've offered (at least 10 or so for sale with similar mileage with asking prices under what they're giving me), so negotiation was not really successful. To be honest, I'm okay with that.

I bought Arnott airbags for the front, $600 for the parts, $300 for the labor; but that doesn't do me much good, since I can't exactly rip them out unless I decide to keep the car and I'd still have to figure out what to do with the rest of the car with half a suspension and a bad transmission. I've got a lot of other poo poo on my plate right now, so I don't reaaaallly want to deal with all that.

Going to go to the shop Monday to grab personal stuff out of the car, the nicer floor mats, etc. Glad it's finally almost dealt with after nearly a month...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

Projectors are not a look, they're a device used to focus the beam of the HID lightbulb so you don't blind oncoming traffic. You lose vision performance at night vs halogens if you don't retrofit HIDs

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Nthing the echo and saying retrofit projectors or go back to halogens. I have to drive for an hour in the morning/night on a non-split highway and there is NOTHING worse than assholes who have HID bulbs in regular housings. You are dangerously blinding oncoming drivers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Are those regular housings or are they specifically designed for HIDs?

Plenty of cars have factory HIDs but not projectors and it works fine because the housings are designed for it

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
You supposed experts suck at trolling. If you think that HIDZ only come in projectors you need to learn up on your history. Those appear to be a proper HID sealed beam conversion. With most modern cars you have fixed reflectors or projectors for halogen bulbs. With this awesome 80's ride he has sealed beams. Meaning he can pull the entire bulb, fixture and reflector out as one unit. They do make "proper" sealed beam hid conversion kits (which rely on reflectors and not projectors). Which I am guessing is what he has as the glass looks totally different. Therefore if this is what it appears to be, there would be no blinding glare and would be totally legit.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

Are those regular housings or are they specifically designed for HIDs?

Plenty of cars have factory HIDs but not projectors and it works fine because the housings are designed for it

Pretty sure it's the other way around. I've never heard of factory HIDs without projectors but have heard of projectors that aren't HID.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

travisray2004 posted:

Pretty sure it's the other way around. I've never heard of factory HIDs without projectors but have heard of projectors that aren't HID.

Both my current car and my previous one have factory HIDs that aren't projectors.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

_firehawk posted:

You supposed experts suck at trolling. If you think that HIDZ only come in projectors you need to learn up on your history. Those appear to be a proper HID sealed beam conversion. With most modern cars you have fixed reflectors or projectors for halogen bulbs. With this awesome 80's ride he has sealed beams. Meaning he can pull the entire bulb, fixture and reflector out as one unit. They do make "proper" sealed beam hid conversion kits (which rely on reflectors and not projectors). Which I am guessing is what he has as the glass looks totally different. Therefore if this is what it appears to be, there would be no blinding glare and would be totally legit.

Calm down, no one here is claiming to be an expert. We just don't want the guy unintentionally blinding people if it's not properly functioning.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

dissss posted:

Both my current car and my previous one have factory HIDs that aren't projectors.

I stand corrected then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

travisray2004 posted:

debunked.

Mercury Montego HID Reflectors. Also see Gen 1 GMC Envoy and Lincoln Mark VIII's. rinse repeat