Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Perfect Element posted:

I'm looking forward to Christian and Sayeed leaving, though. Getting a bit bored of that whole plot line.

loving Sayeed. He's just the most miserable character in Eastenders. It's like he's become self-aware and realized he lives in a terrible alternate dimension. Fun game: Try and spot him smiling at any time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Giedroyc posted:

I think the actor's dad hung out with the Krays or something, which instantly qualifies him for a string of cockney acting jobs and a part in Eastenders. Has he developed an actual character yet? last I saw him he just walked around plotting evil things and trying to find a cape.

In other news Justin Lee Collins is found guilty of domestically abusing his girlfriend and gets a small fine and community service.

His father was Freddie Foreman, a proper old school East End gangster, a confessed (but not jailed) murderer.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I've just been made aware of GBBO James/John fan(non)fiction. It includes the line "this is the one time I won't mind having a soggy bottom".

Let's just all let that sink in for a while.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 10, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

reality_groove posted:

I've just been made aware of GBBO James/John fan(non)fiction. It includes the line "this is the one time I won't mind having a soggy bottom".

No. I don't want to think about it. :gonk: Is there nothing the internet will not ruin?

And I thought Fresh Meat was pretty good. Not quite as great as the "This Horse is my Dead Dad" episode from last year, but still fun. Jack Whitehall may just be playing himself, but at least in this context he's amusing. And Vod is consistently amazing.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

reality_groove posted:

Link!!!!!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I know this thread generally dislikes Harry Hill, but he actually makes You've Been Framed watchable. I like how they blur out the year on the really old videos now. It's still obvious they were filmed in 1992.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

netally posted:

I know this thread generally dislikes Harry Hill, but he actually makes You've Been Framed watchable. I like how they blur out the year on the really old videos now. It's still obvious they were filmed in 1992.

Do we? Outside of the Suchets, he's the only watchable thing on ITV (on the show that mocks all the other stuff)

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I am 25 and I hope to live another fifty or so years, with good health, and I will go to that grave still enjoying the entrapment of cowboy builders on Watchdog. It's when they won't let them close their car doors and interview with them arsey questions that delights me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

britishbornandbread posted:

I am 25 and I hope to live another fifty or so years, with good health, and I will go to that grave still enjoying the entrapment of cowboy builders on Watchdog. It's when they won't let them close their car doors and interview with them arsey questions that delights me.

I watch Watchdog purely for Matt Allwright harassment. Keep doing what you do, Matt.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 10, 2012

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

My mum works for BT and tows the party line when her employers get a good slagging off on Watchdog. I used to eat my tea on my lap watching her argue with Anne Robinson. Good days.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I like Grand Designs.

I especially like this episode; where the mental, self-obsessed homeowners are building a 1.2 million pound modernist white box on the River Thames in between two chocolate-box cutsey Victorian boathouses. All their neighbours now hate them passionately, the architect has abandoned the project and moved to the other side of the country, and Kevin McCloud is basically sniggering gently to himself for the whole hour. Hah!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Irisi posted:

I like Grand Designs.

I especially like this episode; where the mental, self-obsessed homeowners are building a 1.2 million pound modernist white box on the River Thames in between two chocolate-box cutsey Victorian boathouses. All their neighbours now hate them passionately, the architect has abandoned the project and moved to the other side of the country, and Kevin McCloud is basically sniggering gently to himself for the whole hour. Hah!

Please link to this episode.

I remember there was one where a property developer built this massive white cube thing on the side of a hill in Brighton with proceeds from selling the houses that he already owned and then the housing market collapsed. He was left with this massive, soulless, bare and concrete block basically which didn't look remotely nice to live in. I have no idea why but all the floors were all 4 metres high or something, the proportions were absolutely ludicrous.

Oh and they mounted a real motor bike above the fireplace in the living room.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I feel like every Grand Designs like that should be followed by the one where a charcoal burner builds a house out of wood, hay and tarpaulin with man-power and know-how.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
"Now what could we put above our 10 metre high fireplace?"

"How about this fully working, full sized Yamaha motorbike!"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I detest, with a passion, all of the other home improvement/house hunting shows on telly at any point in the last twenty years, but I love Grand Designs.

Kevin McCloud is a wonderful presenter, and they are usually very good at picking genuinely interesting projects to follow. And even when the buildings aren't remotely to my taste I can still (usually) appreciate the effort and the passion that goes into them.

The format works when moved abroad, although obviously no Kevin is a big handicap. I was watching a GD Australia where some moron was obsessed with building the biggest and best, his words, house in an exclusive rich beach front neighbourhood. He didn't have the budget, knew it would cost 1-2 million more than he had, but he went ahead anyway.
The end result being a beautiful home in a wonderful location, that he had to sell to cover his debts to loan sharks. If he'd gone smaller he could have had the house of his dreams, as it was he ended up pretty much where he started, sans a home.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
I wish you could buy Eggheads on DVD.

Has any one played the Eggheads interactive game and if so is it good.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I detest, with a passion, all of the other home improvement/house hunting shows on telly at any point in the last twenty years, but I love Grand Designs.

Kevin McCloud is a wonderful presenter, and they are usually very good at picking genuinely interesting projects to follow. And even when the buildings aren't remotely to my taste I can still (usually) appreciate the effort and the passion that goes into them.

The format works when moved abroad, although obviously no Kevin is a big handicap. I was watching a GD Australia where some moron was obsessed with building the biggest and best, his words, house in an exclusive rich beach front neighbourhood. He didn't have the budget, knew it would cost 1-2 million more than he had, but he went ahead anyway.
The end result being a beautiful home in a wonderful location, that he had to sell to cover his debts to loan sharks. If he'd gone smaller he could have had the house of his dreams, as it was he ended up pretty much where he started, sans a home.

There was one from the early noughties that I watched where a banker and his architect wife converted an old violin factory into a home. It was a really great example of the excess of the era, the wife could not stop spending money and they went literally millions over budget IIRC. She just had to have one of those oven/cooker/worktop things that you get in the savoy that cost £200k.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Metrication posted:

There was one from the early noughties that I watched where a banker and his architect wife converted an old violin factory into a home. It was a really great example of the excess of the era, the wife could not stop spending money and they went literally millions over budget IIRC. She just had to have one of those oven/cooker/worktop things that you get in the savoy that cost £200k.

He had a library with a secret staircase and basically left it to her didn't he, and she ended up getting into an argument with the London Philharmonic? because they hosed up on which bricks to buy and had to get them painted.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Ugh. One of the Australian ones was a bit like that, they were project managing for themselves, but only turning up maybe once a fortnight, going over-budget changing things and filling their house with some tacky crap, and the piece de resistance was that they had a full kitchen area, expensive top of the range etc etc, but it was purely for show. They had a second kitchen hidden behind it for actual cooking.

That just seemed offensively wasteful to me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

GD is just one of those shows that draws out all my horrible working class venom. I can sit and watch and pray that all the ludicrous sterile cube houses go horribly overbudget and wallow in my :smug: when it does happen.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The ones I hate are where they build some lovely timber beamed house and then stick one of those godawful ugly zinc roofs on it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

There's a documentary along those lines, about someone who thought that trying to recreate the Palace of Versailles would be a :waycool: thing to do in 2007.

It didn't end well.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 11, 2012

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Ian Hislop's Stiff Upper Lip show has been good.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Grand Designs is great just for Kevin McCloud barely bothering to hide his contempt when lovely ideas start spewing forth from people with more money than sense.

Has anyone been watching his new dream home programme on channel 4? Any good?

Bloodbath posted:

I wish you could buy Eggheads on DVD.

Has any one played the Eggheads interactive game and if so is it good.

I've played one in the pub, dunno if its the same thing, and its total wank. You have to pick an Egghead to compete against in certain categories but it seems to have minimal effect on the (already low) base % chance that your AI opponent gets an answer wrong.

Million pound drop on the other hand is a wank tv show but a much better pub quiz game.

Captain Mediocre fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 11, 2012

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

He had a library with a secret staircase and basically left it to her didn't he, and she ended up getting into an argument with the London Philharmonic? because they hosed up on which bricks to buy and had to get them painted.

loving hell I remember this one too; I like GD as well, it's quite gripping. But it's just like every other makeover show in that if someone doesn't get the exact freestanding bath they wanted they will literally cry like a loving child. And I too will cry at the state of our once great nation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Bullseye will always be the best pub quiz game :colbert:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
In terms of winning money there was a Family Fortunes game which was possible to win the jackpot on every time - it didn't last very long. Otherwise I think my favourite TV-based game is probably 1 VS 100.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Captain Mediocre posted:

I've played one in the pub, dunno if its the same thing, and its total wank. You have to pick an Egghead to compete against in certain categories but it seems to have minimal effect on the (already low) base % chance that your AI opponent gets an answer wrong.

That's a shame :( I love Eggheads. My favourite is Barry.

I've probably seen about 30 episodes so far and I don't think I've seen a single person on there that isn't white.

Jeremy Vine tried to tell one of his brother's jokes (the one about someone telling the doctor they feel like Tom Jones / it's not unusual) on the one I watched last night and hosed it up completely.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Yes!

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/10/bbc-review-liberal-bias

Guardian posted:

The BBC's news coverage of religion, immigration and Europe is to be scrutinised in an independent review following accusations of liberal bias.

Lord Patten, the BBC Trust chairman, said the review was an acknowledgment of "real and interesting" concerns from some quarters about the impartiality of the BBC's news coverage

Has the discourse in this country moved so far to the right that not engaging in rampant Xenophobia and Islamophobia is now considered to be evidence of left-wing bias?

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Captain Mediocre posted:

Million pound drop on the other hand is a wank tv show but a much better pub quiz game.

This is literally exactly what I was going to say. I played the pub one on Sunday, decided it was crap and moved on to Million Pound Drop which was much better once I worked out the controls. If I didn't know my mum would never say anything was 'total wank' I'd almost be worried you were her posting on SA. :psyduck:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think that as I become increasingly left-wing I find Grand Designs more hard to stomach. Smug couples building their eco-cubes with elegant interior curves and talking about how they love living in 'beautiful spaces' does sort of get me a bit worked up.

That said, I do still like it, and I think Kevin McCloud is pretty much the best presenter around. And last night's was funny because it's amusing to watched very privileged people get flustered about how a new house will ruin their bespoke river village.

His show where he builds a house in the middle of the woods is pretty good, too. In the last episode he gets all his mates to come over to poo poo in a bucket so he can roast a pig, as well as shooting, skinning and then tanning a deer to make himself a chair.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

His show where he builds a house in the middle of the woods is pretty good, too. In the last episode he gets all his mates to come over to poo poo in a bucket so he can roast a pig, as well as shooting, skinning and then tanning a deer to make himself a chair.

I was worried, what happens if you're taking a poo poo and it starts raining? Then the toilet paper would get soaking. gently caress.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Maud Moonshine posted:

This is literally exactly what I was going to say. I played the pub one on Sunday, decided it was crap and moved on to Million Pound Drop which was much better once I worked out the controls. If I didn't know my mum would never say anything was 'total wank' I'd almost be worried you were her posting on SA. :psyduck:

MPD is piss easy to win money on. Match Of The Day is my personal favourite though.

That one where you play hangman to guess the question when given the answer is fun.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Captain Mediocre posted:

Grand Designs is great just for Kevin McCloud barely bothering to hide his contempt when lovely ideas start spewing forth from people with more money than sense.

Has anyone been watching his new dream home programme on channel 4? Any good?

It's pretty good. A bit like an extended Grand Designs, but on a smaller scale and without the drama you get from people not knowing what they're doing/massively overreaching.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I thought I'd be really into his show about the shedhouse thing, that's something I've always dreamed of having. However I attempted to watch the show while eating, a grave error. Are all the episodes gross dogpoo affairs or can I watch the rest in relative safety?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Z-Magic posted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/oct/10/bbc-review-liberal-bias

Has the discourse in this country moved so far to the right that not engaging in rampant Xenophobia and Islamophobia is now considered to be evidence of left-wing bias?

A few days ago a man making a lewd off colour comment reguarding the news on the internet was imprisoned, and ruined his life with a criminal record.

This country is clearly wallowing in a sewage infested lake and we have no oars or motor to steer it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Crankit posted:

I thought I'd be really into his show about the shedhouse thing, that's something I've always dreamed of having. However I attempted to watch the show while eating, a grave error. Are all the episodes gross dogpoo affairs or can I watch the rest in relative safety?

Well, he does the pulling the tablecloth trick a few times, using woodland animals.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I think that as I become increasingly left-wing I find Grand Designs more hard to stomach. Smug couples building their eco-cubes with elegant interior curves and talking about how they love living in 'beautiful spaces' does sort of get me a bit worked up.

That said, I do still like it, and I think Kevin McCloud is pretty much the best presenter around. And last night's was funny because it's amusing to watched very privileged people get flustered about how a new house will ruin their bespoke river village.

I also find it pretty hard to watch sometimes. Not only are there repetition after repetition of modernist eco-houses that never fit into the surroundings, they always decorate and furnish them full of poo poo. There was one on the other day where some woman had a truckload of 'vintage' furniture delivered to her house, which seemed absolutely ridiculous to me. Also, they always have tiny bed rooms for some reason. They also never seem to bear in mind any children they have, happy to shove them into some soulless building with barely any privacy because they'd rather have walls made from frosted glass or some nonsense.

Some of the houses are nice though. I just wish rich people had more taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

justcola posted:

I also find it pretty hard to watch sometimes. Not only are there repetition after repetition of modernist eco-houses that never fit into the surroundings, they always decorate and furnish them full of poo poo. There was one on the other day where some woman had a truckload of 'vintage' furniture delivered to her house, which seemed absolutely ridiculous to me. Also, they always have tiny bed rooms for some reason. They also never seem to bear in mind any children they have, happy to shove them into some soulless building with barely any privacy because they'd rather have walls made from frosted glass or some nonsense.

The tiny bedrooms do my head in. There was one a couple months ago where they had a couple of teenage daughters and built them bedrooms literally only 1.5 times the size of a standard single bed, with one wall entirely made of glass and facing onto a central courtyard affair so you could see into them from the (vast, soulless) living room. No privacy at all, not even enough room for a desk or a decent-sized wardrobe.

You could see the hatred in their eyes as the kids assured Kevin they were happy. It was amazing. It was pretty obvious that when their parents inevitably grow old and go into a nursing home, the kids are not going to choose a top-rated one with an en-suite and balcony...